Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014-15 SEC Basketball Projections

Started by MikePiazza, March 24, 2014, 10:40:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  25m
Josh Richardson on Tariq Owens (6-9, 190): "He's so long and lanky. Guys like that, it's tough to come by. He is a shot changer."

#Vols G Josh Richardson: "We feel like we are going to be picked toward the bottom of the league. We don't like how that sits with us."

Richardson: "If we are going to win games this year I'm going to have to be in attack mode at all times."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  4h
New at STLtoday: Kim Anderson on Mizzou's latest addition & more from SEC teleconference http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/anderson-pleased-with-mu-freshmen/article_9a70b248-f6aa-5193-a44f-43686dafe5f1.html ...

QuoteMizzou announced Monday that Seattle guard Tramaine Isabell has signed his financial aid agreement to play for the Tigers. Isabell verbally committed last week and is expected to move to Columbia this week. Isabell averaged 23.6 points and 3.5 assists in leading Garfield High School to the Washington Class 4A state title...

Now, back to the teleconfernece. Anderson discussed Mizzou's evolving backcourt, early impressions of his other three freshmen and his newest addition to the coaching staff.

The backcourt returns sophomore point guard Wes Clark and adds Hawaii transfer Keith Shamburger plus freshmen Isabell and Namon Wright, who's already on campus. Transfers Deuce Bello and Cameron Biedscheid both become eligible this season.

"I think shoring up the guard position has been a focus, not necessarily with transfers, although Keith obviously is a guy we feel very good about being a fifth-year guy who's played at the highest level," Anderson said. "We're also looking at some underclassmen, some freshmen, bringing them in, too. That has been a focus, not just point guard but guards in general because the graduation of three pretty good players last year has made that necessary. That was the one area when I got here, as I looked at it, there just wasn't much depth at the guard spot. And there wasn't (many) established players at that position. That's been a primary focus in the two months that I've been here."

Three freshmen are on campus and participating in workouts: Wright and forwards Jakeenan Gant and D'Angelo Allen...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Here's part one of a two-part early look at SEC basketball. Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Kentucky are in this first installment, to be followed by the rest of the league.

QuoteLast season Anthony Grant's program building effort suffered a derailment, so much so that rumors circulated his job was in jeopardy. Those rumors proved unfounded, but the job got tougher in April, when Auburn hired former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl. The soft-spoken Grant will have to rally while being compared to the effusive Pearl this season.

The Crimson Tide came within a whisker of losing 20 games (13-19, 7-11 SEC), done in by unexpected loss of personnel (Trevor Lacey, Devonta Pollard), crummy shooting (214th in the nation in 3-point percentage, 147th in two-point percentage, 233rd in free-throw percentage) and a tough early-season schedule that included losses to Oklahoma, Wichita State, Xavier and UCLA, the latter three in succession at the end of December.

Bama was also hurt by the lack of an experienced post presence. According to KenPom.com, it was ranked 178th in effective field-goal percentage (.494), 225th in offensive rebound percentage (30.0) and 305th in block percentage (11.8), numbers that could have been improved by a big man with a modicum of offensive and rim protection skills.

It didn't help that 6-8 Nick Jacobs took a leave of absence in February and didn't play the rest of the season. He was released from his scholarship in May, and in early June announced he was headed for Georgia Tech...

jbcarol

Yante Maten and Osahen Iduwe are on campus and participating in summer workouts, Georgia basketball coach Mark Fox said during an SEC teleconference Monday.

QuoteIduwe is a 6-foot-11 center who played at St. John's Northwestern Military Academy in Wisconsin after graduating from Central Park Christian in Birmingham. While at St. John's Northwestern, he averaged 8.8 points and 8.2 rebounds.

Maten, a 6-foot-8 freshman forward from suburban Detroit, averaged 19.8 points and 15.2 rebounds as a senior at Bloomfield Hills High School, where he led the Black Hawks to the Class A state title game.

"(Maten's) trying to make the transition, learning how to lift every day at this level, what kind of condition you have to be in and how to be a student of college and manage a bigger course load," Fox said. "It's a good time of year for him to do that."

Georgia finished last season 20-14 overall and 12-6 in the SEC. The Bulldogs tied for second in the final SEC standings and reached the second round of the NIT.

jbcarol

David Cloninger @DCTheState  ·  2h
SEC hoops coaches readying for three permanent opponents per year: http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/06/30/600559/sec-basketball-coaches-bounce.html ...

Quote"I would certainly be fine with three permanent opponents as I am with one permanent opponent," longtime Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said on a conference call on Monday. "As crazy as it sounds, I'd be fine if we played everybody twice."

Stallings won't get that wish – with 14 teams...

"I'm not lobbying to try to get anyone, but I think everyone would like to have Kentucky, because Kentucky has been the bell cow in the league for years and years," Stallings said. "I think if you gave just about everybody a choice, if they did not consider the competitive disadvantage it would create because it's awfully tough to beat them, everybody would want to play Kentucky."

Kentucky's current permanent foe is Florida. It seems natural that Vanderbilt and Tennessee would be the Wildcats' other two, because of geography and history – those two have beaten Kentucky more times than any other SEC school.

But the other schools want to have a say in it. Nobody packs fans into an opponent's gym like the Wildcats, and TV would be sure to follow. As Stallings said, there is the factor of a game that will be very hard to win, but there's also showcasing the program on TV to potential recruits.

"The problem with one permanent opponent like we've had the last couple of years is you have a season like we had a year ago, with no Kentucky, no Florida, no Auburn, no Tennessee at home," Georgia coach Mark Fox said. "No teams that our fans will really come out to see. That's an issue that all teams run into. Maybe with more partners that we play every year, you can avoid some of that."

Stallings said he wouldn't be surprised if Vandy got Kentucky, Arkansas' Mike Anderson mentioned Ole Miss as a natural fit and Fox said he would love to have Florida as one of his three.

The SEC office is scheduled to announce the three permanent opponents per school sometime in the fall.

jbcarol

A handful of newcomers, including four prospects recruited by Pearl's staff since his arrival in March, are on campus participating in offseason workouts and practices. Included in the group is power forward Cinmeon Bowers, the nation's top junior college player, and guard Antoine Mason, the nation's leading returning scorer from Niagara.

"My first impression is I'm excited," the Auburn coach said Monday.

QuoteMason and Bowers share a common trait on the court, too: they love contact. Pearl expects the duo to lead the Tigers in free throws attempted next season as the new-look roster, along with their leading returning scorer KT Harrell, prepares for Pearl's debut season on the Plains.

"Mason will get to the rim, he'll get in the lane and he can score," Pearl said. "He'll get to the foul line. They're both physical players, which is something we lacked."

Mason averaged 25.6 points last season at Niagara, and is immediately eligible with one season to play.

Auburn is still awaiting word on K.C. Ross-Miller, a transfer from New Mexico State, and freshman signee Sam Logwood.

"[Bowers]'s got an SEC body, he's got a physical presence and if you look at the three most physical teams in our league last year, all three of those teams were in the NCAA Tournament: Kentucky, Florida and Tennessee," Pearl said.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  4h
New at STLtoday: De Smet career assists leader set to join #Mizzou as walk-on http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/former-de-smet-guard-set-to-walk-on-for-tigers/article_ada332c3-c9f4-576f-afcf-da4486799640.html ...

QuoteJimmy Barton will join the Missouri basketball team as a walk-on, he confirmed Tuesday. Barton, De Smet's career assists leader, played last season at Houston Baptist, a Division I program in the Southland Conference. 

At MU, he'll essentially replace walk-on guard Corey Haith.

MU 14-15 Scholarship Roster
1 Cameron Biedscheid 6-7, 186 G RS SO St. Louis/Notre Dame

2 Deuce Bello 6-4, 177 G  RS JR Greensboro, N.C./Baylor

3 Johnathan Williams, III 6-9, 223 F SO Memphis, Tenn./Southwind H.S.

4 Tramaine Isabell 6-1,185 G FR Seattle, Wash./Garfield H.S.

5 D'Angelo Allen 6-7, 190 F FR Dallas, Texas/Kimball H.S.

12 Namon Wright 6-4, 175 G FR Los Angeles, Calif./Pacific Hills

14 Keith Shamburger 5-11, 170 G RS SR Los Angeles, Calif./Hawaii

15 Wes Clark 6-0, 171 G SO Detroit, Mich./Romulus H.S.

23 Jakeenan Gant 6-8, 215 F FR Springfield, Ga./Effingham County

24 Torren Jones 6-8, 234 F SO Chandler, Ariz./La Lumiere School (Ind.)

42 Hayden Barnard 6-10, 215 F RS FR Aurora, Ill./Metea Valley H.S.

44 Ryan Rosburg 6-10, 252 F JR Chesterfield, Mo./Marquette H.S.

45 Keanau Post 6-11, 255 F SR Victoria, British Columbia/Southwestern Illinois C.C.

jbcarol

Shamiek Sheppard, one of four newcomers to the South Carolina program, will have to wait to make his collegiate debut until 2015, as he will redshirt the season after tearing his ACL in his right knee...

Quote"We feel awful for Shamiek with his injury," South Carolina head coach Martin said in a statement. "He has worked so hard to put himself in position to play at South Carolina. We look forward to supporting him through his surgery and rehab this season."

Sheppard, a 6-foot-6 wing from Fishburne Military School (Virginia) committed to South Carolina in March, was rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals. That recruiting class is headlined by four-star point guard Marcus Stroman and includes fellow three-star prospects TeMarcus Blanton, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard and James Thompson, a 6-foot-8 power forward.

The Gamecocks back court graduated leading scorer Brenton Williams this past season, though, Martin feels the program is beginning to head in the right direction as he begins his third season in Columbia.

Despite the loss of the incoming freshman, the South Carolina perimeter does return Sindarius Thornwell (13.4 points per game), Tyrone Johnson (11.2) and Duane Notice (8.2).

jbcarol

After Kentucky fell to UConn in the national title game, Wildcat head coach John Calipari claims he believed that sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein would enter the 2014 NBA Draft.

QuoteCalipari has a rule: If you're going to be a first-round pick, and especially if you're a potential lottery pick, get out. Take the money and run. He figured Cauley-Stein, a skilled sophomore 7-footer who already passed up the draft once, would heed that advice.

"The conversation we had the next morning after the national championship game was congratulating him. 'I'm proud of you,' " Calipari said. "He was a top-15 pick. And he came in my office the following day and said, 'I want to come back.' "

"He said, 'One, I'm having a ball. Two, I'm not ready for that league, to do what I want to do. Three, I want to win a (championship) before I leave,' " Calipari remembers. "Well then it's good reasons to come back."

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  15h

AUBURN BASKETBALL: Transfer-laden newcomers could prove beneficial in long run for Tigers' turnaround effort http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_a7150612-018a-11e4-afa7-001a4bcf6878.html ...

QuoteAntoine Mason had never planned to leave Niagara.

He was happy. And as the nation's top returning scorer from a year ago after averaging 25.6 points per game, Mason was coming back to try to make a name for himself on a national stage.

With one season of eligibility remaining as a fifth-year senior, having already graduated in early May, Mason was in the unenviable position of figuring out the best place to help him pursue his dream of following in his father's NBA footsteps.

"My goal is to make it to the next level and in order to see if I'm ready for it, I might as well step up and play in a bigger conference," Mason told the Opelika-Auburn News last week.

Mason is one of four transfers amongst Auburn's six-member 2014 class of newcomers, joining 6-foot-7 Chipola (Fla.) Junior College forward Cinmeon Bowers — rated the nation's top JUCO prospect — New Mexico State point guard KC Ross-Miller and Marshall sophomore guard Kareem Canty.

Bowers, Ross-Miller — another fifth-year senior — and Mason are eligible to play immediately and are expected to contribute right away, as will new freshmen T.J. Lang of McGill-Toolen and Jack Purchase of Australia. Canty is the lone transfer unable to play immediately after opting to move because of an offseason coaching change at Marshall.

"The key is to upgrade, the key is to continue to attract players that the best teams in our league are recruiting," first-year Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said. "Not just SEC players, but players that have a chance to compete at a higher level in the SEC."

jbcarol

The Tennessee basketball team welcomes a new coach, new coaching staff and eight new players coming into the 2014-15 season. Only four players returned from the previous season, one that saw the Vols reach the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament.

One of those new faces is Kevin Punter.

As a junior college transfer, Punter is expected to immediately contribute due to his experience. The 6'4" guard played at State Fair Community College in Missouri, averaging 20.3 points (57.1 FG) and 4.6 rebounds a game last season.

While he originally pledged his services to the Missouri Tigers coming out of State Fair, he reopened his recruitment when Frank Haith left to coach Tulsa.

That's when Donnie Tyndall came calling.

QuoteNow that the Bronx native has joined Tyndall and the Vols, he must find his role on the team. At State Fair, Punter was primarily used as a volume scorer, asked only to shoot and create his own shot.

Since coming to Knoxville, Punter has joined his teammates in the Rocky Top League, an exhibition league full of current and former Vols who come together to play a month's worth of pick-up games to entertain fans in the offseason.

He has showcased his scoring ability and his knack for highlight-reel plays in the league, averaging 40 points per game, which leads all scorers. Last Wednesday he scored a RTL summer-high of 54 points.

"Scoring is not going to be a problem," junior guard Armani "Ronnie" Moore said. "He has game. He plays with a lot of confidence and isn't scared to take any shot."

While the Vols likely welcome his penchant for scoring, they are in desperate need of a point guard who can create opportunities for others and orchestrate the team.

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·  Jun 30

RT @SEC_Craig: Listen to a replay of the SEC basketball coaches teleconference ... http://secsports.go.com/article/11158634 ...

If you please

jbcarol

Shelby Mast @BracketWAG  ·  Jun 27
Still too early, but revised bracket posted - laugh away!

http://www.bracketwag.com/

1-seed Kentucky
2-seed Florida
12-seed UGa  (Last Four In, Play-in Game)

Banned from participating - Wisc-Milwaukee, San Jose St., Alabama St., App St., Fla A&M, Houston Baptist, Lamar, Central Ark.

jbcarol

Ben Garrett @SpiritBen  ·  Jul 1
#OleMiss head coach Andy Kennedy is in no rush to fill his final coaching staff vacancy. http://foxs.pt/1vsvWtR

QuoteOle Miss head coach Andy Kennedy lost two of his three assistants to other jobs some two months ago.

He acted quickly to fill one vacancy, hiring former Auburn assistant Tony Madlock, a Memphis, Tenn., native, whose addition has already paid off with the commitment of Southwest (Tenn.) Community College guard Rasheed Brooks, one of the top junior college players in the country.

"Tony has been a tremendous addition," Kennedy said Monday on the SEC teleconference. "He's a Memphian. He played at Memphis, grew up in the area. And he's certainly very, very familiar with the SEC having been with Tony (Barbee) the last four years at Auburn.

"I'm really in no rush to fill that in as it is," he said. "My focus has been on (the team). Now that the NCAA has allowed us to have our hands on the guys during the summer, it's been great for me to get to know these new guys and see our returners continue to mature and grow as they get more experience in the program."

Kennedy's roster is significantly different from last season.

Five players – guards Roderick Lawrence, Stefan Moody and Terence Smith and forwards Marcanvis Hymon and M.J. Rhett – were added, while four others, including leading scorer Marshall Henderson, are gone.

Derrick Millinghaus transferred to Southeastern Louisiana, Demarco Cox will spend his final season at Georgia Tech and Jerron Martin left for South Plains Junior College.

Janari Joesaar was the last out the door. He's signed with Texas Pan-American, according to Kennedy, and his departure has moved Ole Miss closer to the 13-player scholarship limit.

The numbers will work out.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  7h
Former Gator standout @TeddyDupay high on returning UF shooting guard Michael Frazier II: http://tinyurl.com/pxlasge

QuoteFlorida guard Michael Frazier II had a breakout sophomore season, setting a school-record for 3-pointers in a season (118) while helping lead the Gators to their fifth Final Four appearance in school history.

But, according to former Florida standout guard Teddy Dupay, the best could be yet to come for UF's lone returning starter next season.

Dupay has worked out with Frazier "three or four times a week" so far this offseason in Frazier's native Tampa.

"He's improved so much," Dupay said. "He's going to be a completely different player. He'll be in position to do a lot more in-the-shotclock stuff, fill that void that Scottie (Wilbekin) has sort of left behind. At the same time, he's really committed to stepping up as a leader, his leadership role on defense, his conditioning, both ends of the court and really helping those guys now that are just now coming in."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred
Hoops Blog: #Vols freshman shot-blocker Tariq Owens said he's 6-foot-10 and 175 pounds. He hopes to gain weight fast: http://knoxblogs.com/fastbreak/2014/07/03/vols-freshman-shot-blocker-owens-hopes-gain-weight-fast/ ...

Quote"Coach Tyndall is a straight shooter," Owens said at the Pilot Rocky Top League championship on Wednesday night. "He keeps it real with you. He's going to tell you the right things. He's not going to steer you wrong. He's going to tell you the truth at all times."

"175 (pounds)," Owens admitted. "I was light. Coach said to try to get to 205 by the end of the season."

Avery T. Jennings @averytjennings
Tennessee recruit Tariq Owens shot around a little bit at halftime.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams  ·  8h
UT signee Tariq Owens has qualified. Detrick Mostella still waiting on NCAA clearinghouse

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  7h
The kids call that "sneaky bounce" RT @wesrucker247: KNS pic of Mostella hanging on rim after slam in RTL title game:

jbcarol

Ron Higgins @RonHigg  ·  Jul 3
LSU guard Keith Hornsby ready to hit his own high notes  http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/07/lsu_guard_keith_hornsby_ready.html ...

That's just the way it is...

QuoteGrammy Award-winning recording artist Bruce Hornsby hasn't released his late 2014/early 2015 tour schedule.

But if you want a hint where he and his band might be playing during those months, you should grab a 2014-15 LSU basketball schedule when it gets released.
If past history holds true, Hornsby is going to make it convenient to watch his son Keith, a transfer from North Carolina-Asheville, play some sweet string music as a Tigers' junior guard.

"When I was a sophomore, we went on a road trip to Ohio State (where Hornsby scored 26 points) and Dad played a gig in Youngstown the day before," said Keith

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  Jul 3
Blog: Ranking SEC basketball teams in the dead of summer http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/courtside_view/sec-power-poll/article_2a8daf4c-02d7-11e4-ae85-001a4bcf6878.html ...

Quote"I'm tired of this fallacy and myth that our league's no good," Frank Martin said. "I'm tired of it. I think it's disrespectful to the coaches in this league. ... I think that's a little disrespectful and untrue. Our league is extremely hard.

"I've said it for a couple years. We were in transition, and I think our league is now starting to take shape. Coaches are establishing their programs for those of us that we weren't where it needed to be."

3. Arkansas

Last season: 22-12 (10-8), lost to California in NIT second round

Mike Anderson enters his fourth season back in Fayetteville, Ark., still looking for a big breakthrough season that lands the Razorbacks in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2008. He might have the roster to do it led by rising sophomore forward Bobby Portis, junior Michael Qualls and senior Rashad Madden. Arkansas showed significant improvement during the course of SEC play last season and swept a season series with Kentucky. Expect the team to take the next step this season, though I still expect the Razorbacks to stub their toes a few times away from home.

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  51m
New strength coach Herring preparing Tigers for long haul - Columbia Daily Tribune http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/new-strength-coach-prepares-tigers-for-long-haul/article_733a8774-8040-5064-b144-70728d28c0b5.html ...

QuoteNo Missouri basketball player's day is complete without an hour or so spent with new strength coach Matt Herring in the Mizzou Arena weight room.

"Our philosophy with the way we train our guys is we're looking to train movements, not muscles," Herring said. "So it's the ability to help identify movement patterns and movements that are going to translate to on the court."

Freshmen D'Angelo Allen, Namon Wright and Jakeenan Gant are doing their first significant weight training, and they might have envisioned a program with heavier loads.

"It's some weird stuff, but it's helping," Allen said. "Regardless of if it seems weak or not, we come into the dorms sore."

Soreness is a sign of progress. At the moment, that's the only result Herring is concerned about as he preps the players for a season five months away. He said he learned that lesson from Florida Coach Billy Donovan in their seven seasons together.

"Get these guys to live in the moment and embrace the process and not focus on whatever long-term objective they're thinking about but today," Herring said. "Make the most of today. When you make the most of today and you continually do that, the outcome's going to be there."

Herring said he's had great cooperation from Missouri's players, who are allowed to spend three times as many hours each week with him as with Coach Kim Anderson and his assistants because of NCAA rules limiting players to eight hours of structured work — including only two for on-court skill instruction — in the summer months.

jbcarol

USA TODAY High School Sports is featuring each of the 12 finalists for the Gatorade Athlete of the Year award during a two-week series leading into the July 15 announcement in Los Angeles.

Karl Towns, Jr. named Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year

QuoteTowns, who's now settling in to his first freshman summer session at Kentucky, makes sure he's not studying NBA legends just occasionally.

"I do it every day," Towns said matter-of-factly. "I definitely try and pick up their habits and pick up pointers from watching old videos and things like that. I learn a lot from watching them. They all have a lot in common. They're all just crazy competitors; that's not something I had to learn though; I was born wanting to be the best at everything."

Towns raves about the fact that he's got the biggest foot (size 20) in Kentucky hoops history...

His competitive drive is rooted in an all too typical scenario; little boy goes to the local park every day and either doesn't get picked or is the last one picked on the blacktop which creates a massive chip that rests smack-dab on his shoulder. The atypical part of the story is that even as accomplished as Towns is – Gatorade Player of the Year, All-USA, McDonald's All American, Jordan Brand All American, etc. – he still competes like the pissed-off kid at Day Park in Piscataway, N.J., eager to prove that he belongs.

"I carry that with me every day," Towns said. "It drives me."

And fair warning for his Towns' Wildcat teammates this coming season.

"He only knows how to go one way," Karl Towns Sr. said. "There's no such thing as fun on the court with him. He's coming; that's it! He wants to leave whatever workout or practice feeling like he got better so he puts in the work to achieve that."

Karl Sr. said that Towns' relentless nature grew as a result of being knocked and criticized for years for not suiting up for the AAU season; instead opting for individual workouts which focused on specific parts of his game...

jbcarol

Matt Jones: UK Basketball Summer Report

QuoteThe story of the summer has clearly been Tyler Ulis. Everyone that sees the young man is impressed with his talent, his work ethic and the words "great kid" are repeated constantly. When he was recruited, many wondered about his size, but I have been told by a couple of different people that this will not be a problem. As one source told me, "I am not sure if he starts because of the Twins, but I guarantee you he plays a lot and will be a major impact." What has seemed to impress people the most is his work ethic, as he spends countless hours in the gym, with some comparing him to the work ethic they saw early from Brandon Knight...

When asked about improvement from returning players, two guys continue to come up, Derrick Willis and Alex Poythress...

The only small negative I have heard is that Devin Booker took a bit of time to get used to the college pace. He apparently was a little bit behind when arriving and only in the last week or so has started to find his groove. His shot apparently was off for his first few weeks here...

...I have heard little about Marcus Lee and Dominique Hawkins...

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  9h
Georgia basketball with some good recruiting news lately. It's a wonder what winning and a coaching contract extension can do.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  5h
#Vols graduate transfer Eric McKnight's expected enrollment postponed until fall semester http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/jul/08/tennessee-graduate-transfer-eric-mcknights-until/ ...

QuoteTyndall told the News Sentinel in a text message on Tuesday that McKnight, a graduate transfer from Florida Gulf Coast, now is expected to enroll in the fall semester.

Tyndall had been optimistic that the 6-foot-9, 225-pound forward would enroll for UT's second session of summer school. In the days leading up to the session, which started last Thursday and runs through Aug. 8, Tyndall said McKnight might not make it in time. The window of opportunity has closed, meaning the soonest McKnight can enroll is August.

While the NCAA Clearinghouse has kept freshman signee Detrick Mostella from officially joining the Vols, McKnight's holdup has been linked to his need for two waivers — one from the NCAA and one from the SEC.

Dana Caldwell @NDN_DCaldwell  ·  May 13
Wishing the best to @Mckflight12 at Tennessee. We all make mistakes; most not so public. He's a good kid and will make an impact. #DunkCity

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 08, 2014, 06:42:13 am
http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/11187142/john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-faces-challenge-deep-roster

Dick Vitale on the ultimate juggling act.

John Clay: Sorry, Dick Vitale, I still think 1996 Cats better than upcoming team

QuoteDick Vitale wrote for ESPN that the 2014-15 team will be the most talented Kentucky has ever put on the basketball floor.

Can't agree. Not yet anyway. I'll stick with UK's 1996 national champs. Remember that the backups on that title team included Jeff Sheppard, MVP of the 1998 title team, and Wayne Turner, point guard on that '98 team.

And I don't see an Anthony Davis on the upcoming Cats, either.

Lexington sports columnist who has covered Kentucky for over 20 years.

jbcarol

ESPN's Myron Medcalf: Many predicted the Kentucky national title game run before the 2013-14 season began, questioned that prediction throughout the bulk of the year and lauded it as the Wildcats improved each night in the final weeks of the season. It all came together for John Calipari's squad at the right time. Those young NBA prospects who couldn't get past Arkansas and South Carolina weeks before the tourney began ended the year as the national runner-up and likely No. 1 team in the 2014-15 preseason polls for the second consecutive season. Once the Big Dance began, Kentucky's fiery offense helped the Wildcats storm through the toughest gauntlet in the field. Kansas State, Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin all fell.

QuoteAnd now, they're back with NCAA tourney stars Aaron Harrison and Andrew Harrison. Willie Cauley-Stein will be healthy. (Will he?) Alex Poythress will be a junior. Plus, they'll boast the nation's most powerful frontcourt (Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee and freshmen Trey Lyles and Karl Towns). The Wildcats will also add Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis, a pair of guards who will enhance Kentucky's backcourt.

These Wildcats will have more inside-outside balance and depth than last year's team. They'll spread the floor. And defenses will be perplexed by their collection of offensive weapons. It'll be a more fluid offense led by a confident Andrew Harrison, who runs this squad now as both a point guard and a leader.

jbcarol

ESPN's Dana O'Neill on '14-15 teams that might struggle defensively

QuoteFlorida -- Last season, the Gators were downright stingy, allowing 57.8 points per game, third-fewest in the country.

But that was one of the most veteran teams in the country. Now coach Billy Donovan essentially goes for a wholesale swap and will field one of the least-experienced teams in the nation.

Young players and defense don't generally go hand in hand.

This group -- Kasey Hill, Chris Walker, Dorian Finney-Smith, Michael Frazier and transfer Alex Murphy -- reads at least on paper as an offense-first unit, which is fine. But to avoid the pratfalls of Donovan's other go-around with youth (post-championship run), he will need to coerce at least average D out of the Gators.

Kentucky -- It will take some digging to find a real weakness on this loaded Wildcats team, but since the sky is the limit and the expectations are somehow even higher, it's fair to look for a potential stumbling block.

And for Kentucky, it will be defense, specifically perimeter defense.

The Wildcats were vulnerable there last season, allowing opponents to connect on 32 percent of attempts beyond the arc. The Harrison twins struggled to stretch themselves, so coach John Calipari will need big improvement from them this season.

Kentucky has enough frontcourt players to field a B team of rim protectors, but how the Cats' backcourt defends will go a long way toward determining just how successful this team will be.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 07, 2014, 09:11:59 pm
Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  9h
Georgia basketball with some good recruiting news lately. It's a wonder what winning and a coaching contract extension can do.

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  2h
This may be a first in the SEC: The Georgia football media guide cover includes the BASKETBALL coach. (Fox dressed in spike squad outfit.)

Georgia Bulldogs @UGAAthletics 

jbcarol

Returner Armani "Ronnie" Moore a leader for coach Donnie Tyndall's Vols

Amid a laundry list of changes to Tennessee's basketball program since that two-point loss to Michigan in the Sweet 16 in late March, Moore is one of the few constants for the Volunteers.

The rising junior is one of four returning players new coach Donnie Tyndall is inheriting, and the bouncy 6-foot-5 Atlanta-area resident figures to be in line for a larger role after showing improvement late in his sophomore season.

Quote"It's definitely going to be a rebuilding year," Moore said before one of his Rocky Top League games last month. "I feel like we've got a lot of good pieces to come out and compete. A lot of people probably look down on us like we're young and we've got a lot of unexperienced guys, but I feel like all our guys always come in locked in and ready to go.

"They're very coachable, and most importantly, they've all got some type of talent."

A 16-game starter as a freshman, Moore averaged 3.1 points in 13 minutes last season, but he played less than 15 minutes in just three games from mid-February to the end of the season...

For most of the season, Moore was known more for his emphatic shot-blocking than his offensive game, but he developed from wild to somewhat reliable on his drives to the rim. He shot 56 percent on two-point shots and 26.7 percent on 3s.

Tyndall recruited Moore "real hard" out of Mount Paran Christian School in suburban Atlanta while coaching at Morehead State, and the coach will install an up-and-down pressing system that fits his former target.

"He's just a hard-playing, tough guy," Tyndall said. "I think he's responded well to my staff and myself, and he doesn't fight coaching. When you do challenge him a little bit, or try to push him, he's 100 percent with it. He doesn't resist us in any way, shape or form."

How exactly Moore fits into the big picture, though, remains to be seen.

He plays taller than 6-5 and filled the undersized forward role in four-guard lineups in his first two seasons under Cuonzo Martin, and he's limited as a ball-handler and perimeter shooter.

Tyndall dubbed Moore an "in-between" player, but he likes having an option with such versatility.

"He can certainly play on the wing some," the new coach explained, "but he could also play some mismatch four like we've done everywhere I've ever been and can create some problems for the defense when we have the ball.

"And yet, you can hide a guy like that a little bit the way we play with our press and our matchup zone, where he's not having to go to the other end and guard a 6-foot-10 guy.

"I think he's the type of kid that bottom line wants to be out there, and he doesn't care if he plays the point guard or the center spot. He just wants to help us win games."

jbcarol

Coach John Lucas @CoachJohnLucas1  ·  20m

Jordan Mickey is serious. Blocks shots after the ball is released. That's Talent. #LeBronJamesSkillsAcademy

jbcarol

Pearl called Montgomery native K.T. Harrell, who averaged 18.3 points for the Tigers last season, the team's "best player and he's our hardest worker."

Quote"When your most valuable officer or person is also your hardest worker or your most dedicated, you've got a good team," Pearl said to the audience of predominantly law enforcement officials. "K.T. leads by example both on and off the floor."

Harrell is one of just two returning starters from last year's squad and by far the most talented.

He played at small forward with Chris Denson as the shooting guard last season and will stay in that role as Niagara transfer Antoine Mason, who averaged 25.6 points last season, takes over the two guard role.

"Mason can guard the three as easily as K.T.," Pearl said. "I look at those guys as big, physical guards. ... I don't think we'll have a problem with bigger, taller guys [Harrison twins?]. They're as strong guards as there is in the league."

The son of former NBA star Anthony Mason, Antoine Mason was one of the first major prospects Pearl's coaching staff landed as he serves his NCAA show-cause penalty.

"There's some bad boy in him," Pearl said...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bama guard Retin Obasohan undergoes ankle surgery

QuoteThe arthroscopic procedure was performed by Dr. Norman Waldrop at the Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center at Saint Vincent's Hospital in Birmingham.

Obasohan is expected to make a full recovery, though no timetable was listed.

Obasohan, a rising redshirt junior, scored 9.5 points per game last year in 30 games. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Obasohan is Alabama's second-leading returning scorer.

jbcarol

Questions and answers from LSU coach Johnny Jones

QuoteDo you feel the NCAA tournament is within reach after laying the foundation the past two seasons?

We can control that part of it. We would have loved to have won a couple more games and maybe had an opportunity to control our own fate this year, but it didn't happen. We were fortunate enough to get in the NIT and go on the road and win on somebody else's floor (at San Francisco), and then played a top-25 team at SMU...

We knocked off Kentucky in the regular season, the No. 1 rated team in the country in the preseason and had the No. 1 recruiting class and played in the championship game of the NCAA tournament. We almost beat them up there. That tells me we're extremely close to where we're trying to get to.

You lose four talented players, but have a solid nucleus coming back with sophomores Jordan Mickey, Tim Quarterman and Martin and newcomers like Keith Hornsby, Josh Gray, Jalyn Patterson, Aaron Epps and Elbert Robinson III that will raise no doubt expectations for this year's team.

We feel like with Jarell and Jordan, those core guys we recruited last year, we put ourselves in position to maybe have some early inconsistencies (last season). But if the chemistry is right with this team, some great things can happen for us.

We had some inconsistency last year, but I think maturity from Jarell and Jordan and even (junior) Keith Hornsby will help that.

Do you think the talent you've assembled may have played a part in attracting assistant coach Eric Musselman to your staff?

He actually had some NBA opportunities available to him. But any time you have the ability to add experience with players or coaches, and the chemistry can be right, you have to take advantage of it...

Two years after coming on board, do you feel that the program is about where you wanted to be at this point?

I think we have certainly shown some improvement each year across the board. We knew it wouldn't be a quick-fix...

I understand where we are. I'm not one to say, "Wait until I get my players in." I wanted to do it with the players that were already here and the ones I inherited because those guys came here for the right reasons.

We've shown a great deal of progress and won at a great rate. Knowing that, I get satisfaction out of the success that we've had. But at the same time, we know we've still got a lot of work to do.

jbcarol

In addition to Jordan Mickey and Jarell Martin, incoming 7-foot-1, 288 center freshman Elbert Robinson is in the plan to replace JOB III's productivity.

Quote"I had to get rid of a lot of that baby fat," he said last week during a media session to introduce the four new LSU players, along with transfer Keith Hornsby ("That's Just The Way It Is") and sophomore Brian Bridgewater, who sat out last season as he waited on the NCAA Clearinghouse.

"I'm down to 288 now and I want to be around 275-80 when the season gets here. I want to be more explosive and be able to get up and down the floor better than I ever have before."

He was a less productive player as a high school senior than he was as a junior due in large part to those weight issues...

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  7h
Story: Brandon Morris dismissed from Georgia basketball team.
http://www.macon.com/2014/07/14/3197511/morris-dismissed-from-georgia.html ...

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  7h
Georgia basketball had been very quiet off-the-court until this March: Since then two transfers and now a dismissal.

jbcarol

Numbers work out for Bruce Pearl.

They always do.

QuoteAuburn is one scholarship over the NCAA's 13-man roster limit, but the issue will be corrected in August. At least one player has been informed he will be removed from scholarship and will have to find a new school before the fall semester begins in August.

"There's been notification, so everybody has been notified about whether or not they'll be back or not," Pearl said Thursday outside a Lee County Auburn Alumni event. "Then it's just a matter of some guys finding some places and finalizing some plans. When that gets done, it'll get announced."

Center Benas Griciunas left the team in June and recently landed at Charlotte. Signee Sam Logwood has not yet qualified and is waiting on the results of an entrance test. If Logwood qualifies, Pearl will need to make room for two scholarships.

Alex Thompson, a walk-on in 2013, was awarded a scholarship in January after being promised one by former coach Tony Barbee last fall.
Auburn's scholarship players (14)

C Matthew Atewe, sophomore
    F Cinemon Bowers, junior (Chipola Junior College transfer)
    PG Malcolm Canada, senior
    G Kareem Canty, sophomore* (Marshall transfer)
    C Ronald Delph, redshirt freshman
    F Jordon Granger, junior
    G KT Harrell, senior
    G TJ Lang, freshman
    G Antoine Mason, senior (Niagara transfer)
    G Jack Purchase, freshman
    G K.C. Ross Miller, senior (New Mexico State transfer)
    PG Tahj Shamsid-Deen, sophomore
    F Alex Thompson, sophomore
    G Dion Wade, sophomore

Signee not yet on campus (1)

F Sam Logwood, freshman (La Porte, Indiana)

jbcarol

jbcarol

ESPN's Chad Ford posted his first 2015 Big Board, his ranking of the top 30 prospects in college basketball.

Quote3. Karl Towns

12. Willie Cauley-Stein

[15. Bobby Portis]

28. Andrew Harrison

31. Alex Poythress
34. Dakari Johnson
35. Aaron Harrison

jbcarol

Gatorsports.com @Gator_sports  ·  2h
Torn ACL sidelines DeVon Walker for season http://bit.ly/1rd6wBv

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  3h
Loss of F DeVon Walker a blow for Gators defensively. One of UF's better defensive players coming back.

Injured on Friday

jbcarol

Next Cats notes: Gill-Caesar taking college decision down to the wire

Montaque Gill-Caesar knows he's going to have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.

The Huntington (W.Va.) Prep standout has been thinking about reclassifying to 2014 for nearly a year, and that choice would mean he'd be playing college basketball this coming season.

QuoteThe 6-foot-5 small forward from Toronto played his final AAU game with the CIA Bounce program Saturday at the Peach Jam. The next step is to return home to Canada and talk over his future with his family.

The most popular prediction is that Gill-Caesar will end up at Missouri for the 2014-15 season, and there's a clear reason why.

New Tigers coach Kim Anderson recently hired former Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford to round out his team of assistants. Fulford was the man who brought Gill-Caesar to West Virginia and coached him the past two years.

Three weeks ago, he hosted his former player in Columbia for an official visit.

"It was cool," Gill-Caesar said. "I liked the fan base; it's a basketball town. I liked the new coach, Kim Anderson. He's from Mizzou so the town really respects him.

"He seems very level-headed. He's very calm. He looks like he trusts his players."

Gill-Caesar also used the word "trust" several times to describe his relationship with Fulford, both on and off the court. The Missouri assistant arrived at Peach Jam on Friday night, and he made sure to be at Gill-Caesar's game during that session.

Anderson was front and center for his entire contest Friday morning.

Kentucky — a school that has been recruiting him for nearly two years — is apparently no longer in the picture.

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  23h
John Calipari watching Harry Giles. Mizzou's Kim Anderson and Rob Fulford checking out Montaque Gill-Caesar.

jbcarol

Ole Miss Basketball @OleMissMBB  ·  2m
Sebastian Saiz led Spain to silver medal at the U20 European Championships. Finished tourney with 2 double-doubles. http://rebs.ms/SaizSilver

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  21h
Martin, Gamecocks hope to sell out lower bowl in new ticket campaign http://scne.ws/6Mxmks  #gg

QuoteThere were days when South Carolina basketball was the hardest ticket in the state to obtain.

Frank Martin is trying to bring that back.

Martin and his basketball program recently launched the "8K in 8 Days" campaign, geared toward reaching 8,000 fans after eight days of taking the team into the community. The goal is to reach 8,000 season tickets by November and keep promoting the brand of USC basketball.

Martin and USC director of marketing Josh Waters know that asking fans to care about basketball in July is tough, and that increasing ticket sales after seasons of 14-18 and 14-20 makes it tougher.

"I don't judge our progress on wins and losses," Martin said. "I understand that's the way the public and fans judge it. This is what I know – the growth of our program from Year 1 to Year 2, and knowing that we were in the top (six) in the SEC in attendance, tells me if we can turn our record – and take another significant step forward – that attendance numbers will continue to grow."

Martin and the marketing department have found it challenging to fill Colonial Life Arena, the fourth-largest arena in the conference behind Rupp Arena (Kentucky), Thompson-Boling Arena (Tennessee) and Bud Walton Arena (Arkansas). Yet Martin's efforts to promote his team in every corner of the state have paid off.

"I think, as Frank says, they've got to win a little bit, but once we start doing that, with this foundation that we've laid, it will really take off," Waters said.

-Blu

July 21, 2014, 03:40:14 pm #397 Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:24:34 pm by -Blu
From Jon Rothstein

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/491208568809353217

Arkansas #5.

Somebody let me know if I have hog colored glasses on or not, but it seems most CBS guys go out of their way to project Arkansas the worst possible projection they can justifiably give them.  I remember last year some of them had us projected as low as #11.

All puns and jokes aside nobody that watches SEC basketball should have us projected outside of the top 4.  You could argue maybe LSU in front of us, but even that's a stretch they lost a lot of key guys, and will be depending on a lot of new players next year. They do have Mickey and Martin, but Portis is better than both of those guys, and we return a lot more experience with 5 of our 6 top scorers returning.  And Georgia at 3, has got to be a joke, they bring in a recruiting class with two 3 stars and lost their 3rd leading scorer, and their overall record was worse than Arkansas with more way more bad losses.  I guess the combo of Charles Mann and Kenny Gaines looks more dangerous on paper than Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman