Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any anticipation for the new thanksgiving game vs Mizzou?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Well, I just hope that LSU slaughters A&M 70 to nothing and that they do it on a regular basis from here on out. That their game becomes a laugher and a yawner that TV sets leave by droves at halftime.
That would make me pretty happy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on March 24, 2014, 08:48:28 pm
I for one am not excited at all about the forced rivalry. That is almost like an arranged marriage or something.

I would still like to see us renew an annual home and home series with Oklahoma State. Funny thing is, in all of those years that we played them, especially from 1943 to 1980, when they came to Arkansas it was usually in WMS. I'd like to see a Fayetteville-Stillwater series started.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 25, 2014, 05:50:45 am
I would still like to see us renew an annual home and home series with Oklahoma State. Funny thing is, in all of those years that we played them, especially from 1943 to 1980, when they came to Arkansas it was usually in WMS. I'd like to see a Fayetteville-Stillwater series started.

Along with OU, they've PROVEN that you can recruit Texas and get enough out of state talent to compete on a high level.  If we could have an annual game with either of them, and do well, one would think it would help our status in Texas for recruiting.  I agree that OSU is probably a better target for us than OU, because OU already has Texas and OSU in conference.  We wouldn't displace their disdain for OU and that rivalry, but we could probably reach 2nd with a billing of "SEC vs. Big 12" and the interest that would bring. 

I certainly like it better than Texas Tech.   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 07:40:19 am
Along with OU, they've PROVEN that you can recruit Texas and get enough out of state talent to compete on a high level.  If we could have an annual game with either of them, and do well, one would think it would help our status in Texas for recruiting.  I agree that OSU is probably a better target for us than OU, because OU already has Texas and OSU in conference.  We wouldn't displace their disdain for OU and that rivalry, but we could probably reach 2nd with a billing of "SEC vs. Big 12" and the interest that would bring. 

I certainly like it better than Texas Tech.   :(

Okla State is the better target and the better OOC rivalry to recreate IMO. As I said earlier in the thread, both fan bases would travel well to away games (3 to 3-1/2 hours) and we are regionally close enough that it could becme a true rivalry and, I am not sure that Oklahoma State has been exposed to RRS very often, if at all since most of the games were played in Little Rock.

Who else of substance could we develop a regional rivalry with that is georgaphically closer? TCU is a 5-6 hour drive. Columbia, MO is 5 hours.

For all of these reasons, I think an annual renewal of the Okla State-Arkansas series makes a lot of sense and on top of that, we both have head coaches that a lot of people seem to love to hate, so it should be a popular series.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Shoat61

For those who think that the SEC stuck us with a smaller market rival, the population of Louisiana is 4,533,372 and Missouri is 5,988,927 (2010 Census).  And from what I've seen in visiting both states, I would feel pretty confident in guessing that our Northern neighbors have a higher percentage of televisions than our Southern neighbors.

Horsesrus

But I would bet the percentage of our southern neighbors who watch LSU is significantly higher than the percentage of our northern neighbors that watch Mizzou.  Unless Mizzou becomes a consistent presence at the top of the SEC East, the interest in the nothern Tigers will always be well below the professional sports teams in Missouri from the two large population areas in the state.  Also from a national perspective, LSU has a much higher reputation than Missouri.  The Como Tigers gained a lot of bandwagon fans last year with their improbable run but now they have to sustain it to keep up interest in a state that is far from rabid about college sports.  Having lived in St Louis my entire life, I've always thought that Mizzou is not a cultural fit for the SEC but the potential television viewers got them in the door.

BluegrassRazorback

March 25, 2014, 10:01:19 am #58 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:44:44 am by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: Shoat61 on March 25, 2014, 09:03:47 am
For those who think that the SEC stuck us with a smaller market rival, the population of Louisiana is 4,533,372 and Missouri is 5,988,927 (2010 Census).  And from what I've seen in visiting both states, I would feel pretty confident in guessing that our Northern neighbors have a higher percentage of televisions than our Southern neighbors.

Yes the north has more TV sets but its more than that

Marketers watch this closely because they have to invest advertisement dollors and show sales impact

The fact is : while the state of Missouri has more TV sets - the Nation doesn't  watch the Mizzou Brand near in proportion to theLSU Brand

Yes the SEC stuck it too us - by agreeing with LSU and TAMU - after 20 years of investing to make Ark vs LSU a significant end of season game the SEC threw us under the bus with a equally small market team assuring a toiugher road for Ark end of season branding

CBS has some open source viewer data that goes 5 plus years deep that anyone can google and see

Marketers have there own data tied to thier product - I assure you AdultBeverage companies advertise specific markets - Mizzou vs Ark is projected as a small regional market unlike LSU vs Ark which had national viewing because the outcome of the game has SEC and national wide implications for bowls

The LSU brand - and the fact Ark makes it a good game - at that sweet spot time of Black Friday has national bowl invitation input making that game the highest rated Ark game 10 years running - even better than undefeated Ark vs undefeated Bama (SEC top 3/4 game for the season)

Moving the LSU game with Ark to another date it is est to be about equal to Ark vs Bama because its impact will not have apparent national implications as well as it competing with other national power games

Mizzou vs Ark may have some implication - someday - but doubtful

Even if we do make Somthing out of the game in 20 years - we can expect the SEc front office to change it for the good of the conference and assure Bama gets it way to protect Bama

Please note - the only reason Mizzou is in the EAST Div is because Bama demands Auburn remain in the west because Bama feels Auburn in the East (Where they belong) gives Auburn an easier path to the SEC championship game

Ark - so it's apparent  the SEC made a deal with the devil - to get TAMU they promised Them a end of season game with LSU - the loser was Ark left out so Mizzou was invited to give Ark a bone and scrap besides Mizxou had more TV sets then WVA 

Only way to fix it - is for Ark to start winning and win so well that it doesn't matter what the SEC does

win and this game with Mizxou can be a nice close to home tail gate at the end of the year because we already know what bowl we are going to and we just got to put Mizzou away like we have historically MSU

Mizzou has no historical cache to help Ark in TV ratings nationally

But I guess Mizxou fans can say the very same thing about Ark

Let's not sugarcoat this - Ark got a raw deal for the good of the conference

Now in the positive we can work on winning and when that happens we will not need the cushion of that LSU vs Ark game at the end of the season to try and make up for poor performance

Win and it doesn't matter

Despite the SEC putting the screws to us - the SEC is far better than any time we were in the old SWC - so I'm not advocating leaving the SEC

Bottom line is win - but don't drink the Koolaide and say Mizxou is a worthy Rivial - there is no history and no gains in natinal standing on rivial werkend fir beating them - but there is significant loss and being diminished by losing to them

But maybe in20 years it will mean Somthing g as we fight for the golden dentures trophy

EastexHawg

No, no more than any other game.  I look forward to playing Missouri only slightly more than Northern Illinois, and that's only because it's a conference game.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Horsesrus on March 25, 2014, 09:55:27 am
But I would bet the percentage of our southern neighbors who watch LSU is significantly higher than the percentage of our northern neighbors that watch Mizzou.  Unless Mizzou becomes a consistent presence at the top of the SEC East, the interest in the nothern Tigers will always be well below the professional sports teams in Missouri from the two large population areas in the state.  Also from a national perspective, LSU has a much higher reputation than Missouri.  The Como Tigers gained a lot of bandwagon fans last year with their improbable run but now they have to sustain it to keep up interest in a state that is far from rabid about college sports.  Having lived in St Louis my entire life, I've always thought that Mizzou is not a cultural fit for the SEC but the potential television viewers got them in the door.

I know Mizzou fans who live here and wear their garb almost daily.  What's ironic is that I lived outside St. Louis for a few years, and you rarely saw that from anyone.  It was all about Pro sports, with a few people who at least went to Mizzou and attended a few games a year.  You really had to be in Columbia to see fans who are anything similar to what you see here in terms of wearing garb.  Heck, I played golf with several guys who went to Mizzou and I had to ask them about going to see a few football games!!

But...when you've got double the population of Arkansas, it doesn't take nearly as many committed fans to fill a stadium. 

I will say this.  If we can't get the better of Mizzou in the coming 10 years, then I will contend that it might be time for the UA brass to at least consider the inherent challenges that we face with regard to our population, the surrounding schools, and the challenges it poses for us to contend in the SEC.  For now...I'm on the "BP proved we can contend wagon," but there's a BIG asterisk out there based on what I insist was an inordinate amount of in-state talent that we may never see again.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Shorttimer

To me, losing the Friday slot is a bigger deal than losing the LSU matchup. 

The upside is that getting Mizzou on a huge football weekend gets us into A LOT of Big 12 and Big 10 households on an annual basis that we normally wouldn't get to.  That increases our footprint without much effort. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Shorttimer on March 25, 2014, 10:24:19 am

The upside is that getting Mizzou on a huge football weekend gets us into A LOT of Big 12 and Big 10 households on an annual basis that we normally wouldn't get to.  That increases our footprint without much effort.

That's a good point, although I think it's probably relegated more to a lot of Missouri households, which is still a good thing....provided we win regularly of course.  I'm not sure why the Big 12 or Big 10 fans would be watching our game??   

BluegrassRazorback

That is a positive spin on this that I think has merit

Even if we lose national market maybe it will help us in Big 12 regional recuiting markets

Now that is a valid possible help despite the loss of national exposure and branding

Good point

EastexHawg

As smalls asked, why would Big 12 fans care about watching Arkansas-Missouri?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 25, 2014, 08:59:55 am
The Battle for the Other Crystal Ball

Since the Duck Dynasty boys are sponsoring the Independence bowl, maybe the folks from "Clash of the Ozarks" could.....oh, never mind. Bad idea.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Jek Tono Porkins

Whoever wins could get possession of the Missouri bootheel for the upcoming year.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

chitwnhog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on March 25, 2014, 12:59:32 pm
Whoever wins could get possession of the Missouri bootheel for the upcoming year.

Now you are talkin! I agree with this line of thinking 100%

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 25, 2014, 11:36:32 am
Since the Duck Dynasty boys are sponsoring the Independence bowl, maybe the folks from "Clash of the Ozarks" could.....oh, never mind. Bad idea.

Boy, that show really paints Arkansas in a good light right?  WOW.  I'll just admit it now...I hate myself for watching that.  It's as far from reality TV as Seinfeld was.   

Yep...good old country boys with names like Crowbar, who are setting up "TROUT Lines," to snag would-be trespassers.  Not a trotline, but a Trout line.  Yeah, they grew up living off the land.   ::)     

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 10:56:45 am

This is a guess and only a guess

Ark and Mizxou both are trying in increase Recuiting in Texas

If you got a foothold were you offer kids who know kids who have been offered by either school they will watch to see. If they want to go to Ark or Mizzou

It will take time to build those pipelines - I know folks in Shreveport LA watch Ark games because of the number of kids out of Evangel HS have played at Ark

But that's antidotal and a guess on my part

Plus - if you want to go to the NFL - playing in the SEC is a plus

East Clintwood

Well be the Breakfast game on the SEC Network that weekend.

That's what I'll miss about replacing LS2 with Missouri for Turkey Day weekend. 

I don't care about the false rivalry with either team. I'll miss the national exposure.

I don't think we'll ever have a rivalry with any team.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Danny J

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 10:02:02 am
No, no more than any other game.  I look forward to playing Missouri only slightly more than Northern Illinois, and that's only because it's a conference game.
I agree. Absolutely nothing about this end of the season game excites me....at all. I am still pissed the SEC took away our end of the season game usually aired on CBS the day after thanksgiving when only a couple games were on that day. What did we get in return?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 03:34:51 pm
I agree. Absolutely nothing about this end of the season game excites me....at all. I am still pissed the SEC took away our end of the season game usually aired on CBS the day after thanksgiving when only a couple games were on that day. What did we get in return?
Hopefully, we get to watch LSU DESTROY A & M for the next few years and then get our spot back.   :razorback:

John (mrchambo) Chamberlain

OLDHOG

Well this is the game that was dealt to us so I am going to go with it. What else can we do? Just sayin.

EastexHawg

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 25, 2014, 02:35:00 pm
It will take time to build those pipelines - I know folks in Shreveport LA watch Ark games because of the number of kids out of Evangel HS have played at Ark

Shreveport has been a hot bed of Razorback fans for as long as I can remember.  I used to watch Coach Broyles' show on a Shreveport TV station in the late '60s and early '70s.  The Shreveport Times probably gave the Hogs more coverage than any program other than LSU.  I recall hearing back then that the Shreveport Razorback Club was one of the largest outside the state of Arkansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

I agree, huge factor with regard to exposure. How about a renewal of the Oklahoma State-Arkansas annual match-up and let it be scheduled on the Friday after Thanksgiving Day with a national t.v. audience? Helps both programs on a national level. And I know, everyone is going to say that is going to conflict with the OSU-OU game on the next day, but OSU is already reflecting for 2014 that OSU will either play OU on 11/29 or 12/6. Remove either Missouri State or UTSA and move the schedule around and there is a slot, but I doubt anyone wants to play a potentially strong OOC opponent that late in the season, including us.

I'd still like to see this series re-instituted at some point in the season, but I doubt that it happens, it makes too much sense.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

BluegrassRazorback

March 25, 2014, 06:04:09 pm #80 Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:07:31 am by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: OLDHOG on March 25, 2014, 04:34:32 pm
Well this is the game that was dealt to us so I am going to go with it. What else can we do? Just sayin.

You sir are a good fan

I should - I will - follow your example and I will support the Razorbacks

But will never trust the SEC

texas tush hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 24, 2014, 04:11:38 pm
Actually, it was Tennessee to begin with, IIRC.

No, our opening game was a curb stomping of South Carolina 45-7 in Columbia the week after we lost to the Citadel 10-3 in Fayetteville in 1992. Was our first SEC game, and a great road win. Reality set in the next week in Little Rock,however,when Gene Stallings brought his eventual National Champions in and stomped us 38-11. After the opening win in Columbia, most of us thought we had an excellent chance. That ended after Alabama's first two plays. After a short punt on our first possesion Derric Lassic ran straight up the middle 33 yards for a td. After another three and out he ran straight up the gut 58 yards. It was 28-0 half way through the second quarter and most of the stands left. Welcome to the SEC. We have played South Carolina every year since but dropped Tennessee a few years back. Now this year we swap Mizzou for South Carolina. We did beat Tennessee that first year in Knoxville 25-24 on Todd Wright's last second field goal, tied Auburn 24-24 and curb stomped LSU the last game of the season 30-6. That was the last time LSU came to Fayetteville. Believe that was the one and only time they came up there.

PonderinHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 26, 2014, 10:35:04 pm
No, our opening game was a curb stomping of South Carolina 45-7 in Columbia the week after we lost to the Citadel 10-3 in Fayetteville in 1992. Was our first SEC game, and a great road win. Reality set in the next week in Little Rock,however,when Gene Stallings brought his eventual National Champions in and stomped us 38-11. After the opening win in Columbia, most of us thought we had an excellent chance. That ended after Alabama's first two plays. After a short punt on our first possesion Derric Lassic ran straight up the middle 33 yards for a td. After another three and out he ran straight up the gut 58 yards. It was 28-0 half way through the second quarter and most of the stands left. Welcome to the SEC. We have played South Carolina every year since but dropped Tennessee a few years back. Now this year we swap Mizzou for South Carolina. We did beat Tennessee that first year in Knoxville 25-24 on Todd Wright's last second field goal, tied Auburn 24-24 and curb stomped LSU the last game of the season 30-6. That was the last time LSU came to Fayetteville. Believe that was the one and only time they came up there.
We played both teams every year from 1992 to 2002.  I guess they were both our SEC East permanent rivals back then and rotated the other four.

razorback44

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on March 24, 2014, 08:48:28 pm
I for one am not excited at all about the forced rivalry. That is almost like an arranged marriage or something.

It's funny because this is what LSU has been saying about us for the last 20 years.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

hoglady

Quote from: razorback44 on March 27, 2014, 12:48:59 am
It's funny because this is what LSU has been saying about us for the last 20 years.

Maybe some - but most of them I know are mad about this switch.
They do not want to go to A&M and play on Thanksgiving Day.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

razorback44

Quote from: hoglady on March 27, 2014, 04:31:07 am
Maybe some - but most of them I know are mad about this switch.
They do not want to go to A&M and play on Thanksgiving Day.

Go visit an LSU message board. The vast majority of them are very happy with the switch of opponents. The only part they don't like about it is the playing on Thanksgiving aspect.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

BluegrassRazorback

I think there is some truth there - about  LSU fans - they look at us alot like we look at Mizxou

But frankly - I don't care what they think - I only care that that last game of the year benefited Arkansas

Now we got a game that only benefits Mizxou - after all - Mizxou is conditioned to play insignificant non national games at the end of the year after playing that Giant of Football called Kansaw

For Mizxou playing Ark is a huge step up in the world for branding

Quote from: razorback44 on March 27, 2014, 08:07:49 am
Go visit an LSU message board. The vast majority of them are very happy with the switch of opponents. The only part they don't like about it is the playing on Thanksgiving aspect.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ReddieHawg on March 25, 2014, 12:59:32 pm

Why punish the winner?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hoglady

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 04:39:59 pm
Shreveport has been a hot bed of Razorback fans for as long as I can remember.  I used to watch Coach Broyles' show on a Shreveport TV station in the late '60s and early '70s.  The Shreveport Times probably gave the Hogs more coverage than any program other than LSU.  I recall hearing back then that the Shreveport Razorback Club was one of the largest outside the state of Arkansas.

I know when I grew up there in the 60's and 70's there were many Hog fans around.

Shorttimer

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 10:56:45 am
For me, the expanded footprint is less about eyeballs in TX or OK but expanding into recruiting grounds where we currently have little exposure, such as Illinois, Iowa, Eastern Nebraska or Southern Minnesota.  I don't think that overcomes the loss of being the only game on TV at 1:30 the day after Thanksgiving but it's a minor consolation.

medloh

"We wish the B12 the best, and all that"

Mick Hogger

I'd rather play Texas on Thanksgiving weekend and they'd rather play us than TCU and TTU or whoever they play now.

Rivalry?  Can't be beat (for us. plus they think it would stick it to the Aggies)

Recruiting exposure? 2 games in Texas every other year.

Marquee matchup?  Who in college football wouldn't rather watch AR-TX over AR-MO?

SOS? We're already screwed there annually.

Plus we get to stick it to the SEC for trying to force us into a rivalry and taking away our game. It was done because of the LSU-Aggie rivalry? Well that's why we moved MO to the 2nd or 3rd week and went with our rival.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm
With mizzou's finish last year, how much anticipation is there with this new rivalry?

Very little. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 28, 2014, 02:49:33 pm
I'd rather play Texas on Thanksgiving weekend and they'd rather play us than TCU and TTU or whoever they play now.

Rivalry?  Can't be beat (for us. plus they think it would stick it to the Aggies)

Recruiting exposure? 2 games in Texas every other year.

Marquee matchup?  Who in college football wouldn't rather watch AR-TX over AR-MO?

SOS? We're already screwed there annually.

Plus we get to stick it to the SEC for trying to force us into a rivalry and taking away our game. It was done because of the LSU-Aggie rivalry? Well that's why we moved MO to the 2nd or 3rd week and went with our rival.

This would be like a sharp stick to the eye for A&M, LSU, and the SEC office.  It would hack off all of them if we scheduled our own blockbuster rivalry game on Thanksgiving instead of eating the shirt sandwich they tried to feed us.  The Texas fans I know would like this series and enjoy sticking it to the Aggies.

I would absolutely love it.

bigeasyhog

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 27, 2014, 09:33:45 am
I think there is some truth there - about  LSU fans - they look at us alot like we look at Mizxou

But frankly - I don't care what they think - I only care that that last game of the year benefited Arkansas

Now we got a game that only benefits Mizxou - after all - Mizxou is conditioned to play insignificant non national games at the end of the year after playing that Giant of Football called Kansaw

For Mizxou playing Ark is a huge step up in the world for branding

Let's see ... Dale was 4-6 against La State and Petrino was 2-2  in that game. I'm sure they were looking for a change of scenery... I would be too.

Let's all tell Coach Broyles we're ready to get it on with the Horns on Turkey day. Now that's good TV.

Ramtough

The good thing about the LSU game being in that slot was even if we were not relevant then LSU would be so people would watch. Who wants to see Missouri play that's outside of Missouri? To me they are a team we should beat just like the Mississippi schools.

Murr

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 25, 2014, 10:01:19 amMoving the LSU game with Ark to another date it is est to be about equal to Ark vs Bama because its impact will not have apparent national implications as well as it competing with other national power games

So glad we don't start SEC play against Bama.  Swapping Mizzou for LSU at the opposite end is worth that.

LJHOG

Any anticipation for the new thanksgiving game vs Mizzou?

NO

TXArcher

I think the game with Misery will help the Hogs recruiting in the midwest area.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 24, 2014, 07:16:05 pm
Should have?  We have a losing record against them already. They weren't the doormat of the big 12 when they were in it.  They went to the SEC championship game in its 2nd year in the league.  We just went winless in the conference for the first time.

Missouri isn't going to be a team that we are just going to walk over year in and year out.  Right now that team is us. 

Sadly your correct - it will be a game we lose and continue to be diminished by - we are becoming Kansaw

What a great series that was - I mean you stayed up all night to find out the Nizzou vs Jansaw score? Right

No one cares about that game on a national level - Ark vs Mizzou will be the same game a rivial of insignificant meaning and national impact