Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any anticipation for the new thanksgiving game vs Mizzou?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on April 08, 2014, 10:24:56 am

I appreciate your oppion - it's simple and enticing - you just affirmed what I suspected -

You have been pre conditioned to play an end of season game of no significance after your 100 year history of playing that KU vs Mizxou end of season

A game that NO One watched or cared about outside the I-70 Corridor of Missouri and Kansas (which we learned about as the score scrolled across the bottom of the screen as we watched other games of importance)  but you had a good tailgate

Even when KU had the fighting Mangeno's (Jaw Hawks) and you were doing well it was a mid level National game at best

That's what Ark vs Mizzou will be when both are 9 win teams - No one will care - except in the Ozarks - we will already know what bowl we are going to at 9-10 wins each under this new system - we are small programs - this game is a regional TV game at best -

Your wanting a game to replace your family tailgate vs KU - ok - I get that

Arkansas wants to build a program and compete and not lose the 20 years of investment we put into LSU End of Season - which btw - was a yawner when that started - but we did make something out of it after 20 years of hard work only to have to get Mizzou now!

Looking in The tea leaves - when KU is freed by the Big XII to play you again - Mizzou will drop us like a hot Rock and our insignificant game can be moved mid season where it belongs (because its simply a conf game - nothing more)  and I hope we pick up a market team that matters - like UTex or LSU again

That's my hope - Ark needs a giant to kill

Bottom line we play the game - it's a conference game -  it may make the difference between Independence or Liberty Bowl

But as soon as we get the chance we dump each other for for market games that matters!

but play mizzou - Im all for it as a mid season game

Mizzou vs Ark will be just as good a tailgate will help just as many regional marketers mid season as it will end of season -

so I'm ok with some kissing the Dogpatch Cousins just lets be real and get a giant to kill as soon as possible -

maybe we will only have to endure this for 5 years or so
I guess I just understand why any Razorback fan would care what anyone else thinks.  Is it that important?  Just worry about what the Razorbacks are doing and if they are successful, isn't that all that matters? 

Großer Kriegschwein

Should have been the Longhorns ever since we joined the SEC. Not enough was done to keep this rivalry active and relevant.
This is my non-signature signature.

mizzouman

Quote from: StevenW1976 on April 08, 2014, 02:24:30 pm
Should have been the Longhorns ever since we joined the SEC. Not enough was done to keep this rivalry active and relevant.
Did UT ever consider UA a rival?

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2014, 11:43:24 am
Any SEC game on Black Friday on CBS is going to draw well, any game with LSU as long as LSu is pretty good.  Odds are LSU/A&M is going to draw as well or better than ark/lsu in the same spot.

Exactly.  So why should Arkansas or its fans be okay with losing our spot in that game and being shuffled off to a mid-season date with LSU?

Three people in America outside the states of Arkansas and Missouri will give a tinker's damn about watching us play each other.  They may catch a few plays of our game while flipping channels between our scintillating matchup and the equally compelling South Florida/UCF and Washington/Washington State blockbusters.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2014, 02:27:16 pm
Did UT ever consider UA a rival?

Uh. Yes. The SWC was our (Texas & Arkansas) conference with a few other sprinkled in from time to time. Go check. We were UTs biggest in conference rival in the old SWC.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2014, 02:32:26 pm
Exactly.  So why should Arkansas or its fans be okay with losing our spot in that game and being shuffled off to a mid-season date with LSU?

Three people in America outside the states of Arkansas and Missouri will give a tinker's damn about watching us play each other.  They may catch a few plays of our game while flipping channels between our scintillating matchup and the equally compelling South Florida/UCF and Washington/Washington State blockbusters.

I am sorry, I just don't get all riled up about what day the hogs play a team, or what time of day, or what channel it is on, or the seemingly endless parade of ways people perceive that the hogs have been slighted. I don't think the college football world is sitting around looking for ways to do the Hogs over.  CBS wants the games that will draw the most eye balls. A&M/LSU will draw better in the same slot than lsu/ar. 

You don't have to like it, but they don't care because they know you will still watch the Hogs if you can't be at the games in person.     

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wants2Win

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2014, 02:51:20 pm
I am sorry, I just don't get all riled up about what day the hogs play a team, or what time of day, or what channel it is on, or the seemingly endless parade of ways people perceive that the hogs have been slighted. I don't think the college football world is sitting around looking for ways to do the Hogs over.  CBS wants the games that will draw the most eye balls. A&M/LSU will draw better in the same slot than lsu/ar. 

You don't have to like it, but they don't care because they know you will still watch the Hogs if you can't be at the games in person.   

It's up to the U of A to protect its interests. I, for one, get sick of being treated like the red headed step child when it comes to matters like these by the SEC. You probably thought A&M joining would help The Arkansas program.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 08, 2014, 03:12:48 pm
It's up to the U of A to protect its interests. I, for one, get sick of being treated like the red headed step child when it comes to matters like these by the SEC.

It's shocking that America's best AD couldn't keep this from happening.  After all...he's on a committee...

sportster365

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2014, 03:40:45 pm
It's shocking that America's best AD couldn't keep this from happening.  After all...he's on a committee...

He could've, by keeping Bobby Petrino. BP was 2-2 vs LSU, which could have very easily been 3-1 If not for Tejada's missed FG in OT. I earnestly believe he would have handed it to Sumlin and Manziel in 2012 as well. Causing the SEC to rethink any suggestions of an LSU/A&M day after TG game.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 08, 2014, 03:12:48 pm
It's up to the U of A to protect its interests. I, for one, get sick of being treated like the red headed step child when it comes to matters like these by the SEC. You probably thought A&M joining would help The Arkansas program.

Nope, did not think that at all about A&M.

Funny, Hog fans thought the SWC treated the Hogs like a red headed step child too, and were so glad to get out of the SWC and away from all that. 

Every fan base thinks everyone else is always out to get them. CBC wants the most eyeballs possible on black friday. Sorry Hog fans, but a&m/lsu will provide more eyes than hogs/lsu.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BluegrassRazorback

April 08, 2014, 04:18:58 pm #160 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:03:38 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2014, 02:21:20 pm
I guess I just understand why any Razorback fan would care what anyone else thinks.  Is it that important?  Just worry about what the Razorbacks are doing and if they are successful, isn’t that all that matters? 

Yes I am worrying about Arkansas - exactly - pairing with Mizzou end of season harms us -

While trying to rebuild a program that drove into a ditch the SEC screwed us while we were down

Ark just gave up its largest TV draw game for the good of the SEC -

Ark is the Only program to loose its top rated national end of season game to be replaced with a significant snoozer

BluegrassRazorback

April 08, 2014, 04:22:04 pm #161 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:06:13 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2014, 04:14:46 pm
Nope, did not think that at all about A&M.

Funny, Hog fans thought the SWC treated the Hogs like a red headed step child too, and were so glad to get out of the SWC and away from all that. 

Every fan base thinks everyone else is always out to get them. CBC wants the most eyeballs possible on black friday. Sorry Hog fans, but a&m/lsu will provide more eyes than hogs/lsu.

Well - we will see - there are some doubts about that - CBS wanted to keep the game - I am told

The SEC Network is banking TAMU vs LSU will help in the texas market - where the long Whorne network is bleeding them

In texas yes - higher ranking - nationally - not so sure

time will tell

by year two we will have a trend - year three will have a true population trend

Yes we can still watch the game - no matter what - but for out of state fans like me - I bet I can get it on ESPN 3

Mick Hogger

I highly doubt I will give up my Thanksgiving weekend plans to drive to NWA to see the Hogs take on MO. Those will be some of the easiest tickets to get outside all year.

LSU yes. UT yes. Both in a heartbeat and no hesitation.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

mizzouman

Quote from: StevenW1976 on April 08, 2014, 02:39:03 pm
Uh. Yes. The SWC was our (Texas & Arkansas) conference with a few other sprinkled in from time to time. Go check. We were UTs biggest in conference rival in the old SWC.
I always thought that UT considered A&M their biggest rival back in the SWC days and into the Big12 days.  Could be wrong.

mizzouman

Quote from: Mick Hogger on April 08, 2014, 04:41:10 pm
I highly doubt I will give up my Thanksgiving weekend plans to drive to NWA to see the Hogs take on MO. Those will be some of the easiest tickets to get outside all year.

LSU yes. UT yes. Both in a heartbeat and no hesitation.
Perhaps more tickets for Mizzou fans then.

sportster365

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2014, 04:48:58 pm
I always thought that UT considered A&M their biggest rival back in the SWC days and into the Big12 days.  Could be wrong.

Who's mizwho's biggest rival, the  :puke: Jayhawks? 

BluegrassRazorback

April 08, 2014, 05:08:56 pm #166 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:17:15 pm by BluegrassRazorback

You talk to the Whorne's everyone is their rival even Mizzou

but yes Arkansas was a pain in Bevo's butt trugh the 60's-70's and then the  80's when Ark owned the SWC   

BluegrassRazorback

April 08, 2014, 05:13:26 pm #167 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:24:05 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: sportster365 on April 08, 2014, 04:53:21 pm
Who's mizwho's biggest rival, the  :puke: Jayhawks? 

This is part of the problem - Mizzou is in-cultured to play a insignificant game at end of season

The game has great history - but when was the last time you worked to find out who won the Mizzou vs Kansaw game?

No time - Nada

Thats what we will get being paired with Mizzou end of season

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2014, 02:32:26 pm

Truth spoken here - well said!

Andrew Fabacher

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on April 08, 2014, 05:08:56 pm
You talk to the Whorne's everyone is their rival veny Mizzou

but yes Arkansas was a pain in Bevo's butt trugh the 60's-70's and then the  80's when Ark owned the SWC   
I went to every Cotton Bowl from 1980-92. Saw Arkansas there twice (89, 90). Hogs were competitive, no doubt, but I saw A&M four times (including 3 in a row in the late 80's) in that span & Texass & Houston two each.

Mike_e

Maybe but whenever ut came to Fayetteville the ut fans would gas up their cars before the game so that they wouldn't have to stop anywhere in Arkansas until they had gotten as far away as they possibly could.

No, they didn't like us.  :)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

They hated A&M, but they hated Oklahoma more. How did you miss this? Kinda like you think that Missouri-Arkansas is going to become a big time rivalry? A&M was the little sister in-state, vs. Oklahoma was for blood and bragging rights, especially since Oklahoma took so many key recruits from them.
Go Hogs Go!

Andrew Fabacher

Quote from: Mike_e on April 08, 2014, 05:46:19 pm
Maybe but whenever ut came to Fayetteville the ut fans would gas up their cars before the game so that they wouldn't have to stop anywhere in Arkansas until they had gotten as far away as they possibly could.

No, they didn't like us.  :)
I always thought they did that because Arkansans wouldn't sell them gas. Seems I read that in "Horns, Hogs, & Nixon Coming."

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2014, 09:25:57 am
In 2010 both the Hogs and LSU finished the regular season at 10-2, but we beat LSU the Friday before the BCS bowl matchups were announced.  I have no doubt whatsoever that if we had instead beaten LSU in October...and they had since run off five or six straight wins...they would have been selected for the Sugar Bowl instead of Arkansas.

I can hear Jesse Palmer and Herbstreit now.  "This isn't the same LSU team that lost to Arkansas in October.  They have since gotten on a roll, beaten Alabama, and are as playing as well as any team in the country right now..."

Come on, now.  We all know that's what would have happened.

Playing LSU on Black Friday not only gave us additional national exposure, but it was also a springboard game for the Hogs in we were able to beat them.

10000% correct.

hogcard1964

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2014, 03:40:45 pm

I would imagine the Mizzou Thanksgiving matchup is not permanent.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Andrew Fabacher on April 08, 2014, 05:30:06 pm
I went to every Cotton Bowl from 1980-92. Saw Arkansas there twice (89, 90). Hogs were competitive, no doubt, but I saw A&M four times (including 3 in a row in the late 80's) in that span & Texass & Houston two each.

My memory is faltering but in the 80's we owned the conf

starting right after the 1990 Cotton Bowl Kenny Hatfield left for Clemson and the wheels fell off the program

We havent been consistent in league play sense

HamIAm

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on April 08, 2014, 04:22:04 pm
Well - we will see - there are some doubts about that - CBS wanted to keep the game - I am told

The SEC Network is banking TAMU vs LSU will help in the texas market - where the long Whorne network is bleeding them

In texas yes - higher ranking - nationally - not so sure

time will tell

by year two we will have a trend - year three will have a true population trend

Yes we can still watch the game - no matter what - but for out of state fans like me - I bet I can get it on ESPN 3

The best revenge is to beat them both before Thanksgiving so they are damaged goods.

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

So you need a game with LSU at the end of the year to get national exposure? If you are a good enough team,,,, you will get the exposure.

I, on behalf of Mizzou fans, would like to say we are sorry that we are not good enough to play Arkansas. Please forgive us for not being worthy of your time. I guess it should be a very easy win for the Razorbacks this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on April 09, 2014, 08:05:44 pm
So you need a game with LSU at the end of the year to get national exposure? If you are a good enough team,,,, you will get the exposure.

I, on behalf of Mizzou fans, would like to say we are sorry that we are not good enough to play Arkansas. Please forgive us for not being worthy of your time. I guess it should be a very easy win for the Razorbacks this year.

You are forgiven.;)
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on April 09, 2014, 08:05:44 pm

There is history between LSU and Arkansas. Virtually none with Mizzou. We were the only good game on that day of the Thanksgiving holiday and it led to big exposure for our program with the battle of the boot.

For Arkansas, yes, much better for our recruiting than Mizzou that weekend. We recruit harder in Louisiana than Missouri, fact of life.

Homer somewhere else bro. Don't even know why you're here.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: HamIAm on April 09, 2014, 04:46:56 pm
The best revenge is to beat them both before Thanksgiving so they are damaged goods.

I like the way you think!

It's the only real solution with this Turkey we have been given

Pigsrus

Tom Osborne at Nebraska always referred to Mizzou as the Sleeping Giant of the Midwest...  Unfortunately I'm afraid the Hogs are due to see some prolonged suffering from Mizzou for years to come.  History does not mean SH.. To 18 year olds.

TheGrove68

I tend to believe that if we continue to be competitive and Coach BB gets your program on track then the game could become a big boom for both programs and gain national appeal and exposure.

The sec and the networks are vested in having as many marquee big time games as possible these games grease the palms of all.

This is a simple formula Ark. and Mizzou both just have to win on consistent bases and the networks and Sec will hype and promote the game and the mass audience will tune in to watch.

From the tone of some of your post in this and other threads it appears many ark. fans want LSU to do the heavy lifting and bring the national appeal to the game for the benefit of the hogs program. I get that LSU would make gaining attention and buzz easier but does that exposure really benefit Ark. that much in recruiting etc.? Recruiting is often based on personal relationships with the coaches and the over all health of the program as opposed to one game versus a big time program on Black Friday.

Again if Ark. and Mizzou take care of business on the field the game will be hyped by the networks so they can earn profits and the public will watch.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TheGrove68 on April 10, 2014, 04:17:27 am
This is a simple formula Ark. and Mizzou both just have to win on consistent bases and the networks and Sec will hype and promote the game and the mass audience will tune in to watch.

From the tone of some of your post in this and other threads it appears many ark. fans want LSU to do the heavy lifting and bring the national appeal to the game for the benefit of the hogs program. I get that LSU would make gaining attention and buzz easier but does that exposure really benefit Ark. that much in recruiting etc.? Recruiting is often based on personal relationships with the coaches and the over all health of the program as opposed to one game versus a big time program on Black Friday.

In 2011 when Arkansas played LSU on Black Friday, they generated a 6.1 rating on CBS.

The next day the Iron Bowl was played (Alabama-Auburn) on CBS, it pulled a 4.3 rating.

And you wonder why we hate losing that match up on Black Friday? Yes, it is good national exposure for Arkansas, no matter who is doing the heavy lifting.
Go Hogs Go!

Modsquad24

I'm as big a hog fan as there is, but some of you razorback fans are clowns....saying stuff like, "well if we beat Mizzou, its going to be expected, if they beat us its going to be what happened??" You guys do realize we were 3-9, 0-8 and one of the biggest jokes in the country last yr right? We are far from looking down on people, just saying...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 10, 2014, 05:20:57 am
In 2011 when Arkansas played LSU on Black Friday, they generated a 6.1 rating on CBS.

The next day the Iron Bowl was played (Alabama-Auburn) on CBS, it pulled a 4.3 rating.

And you wonder why we hate losing that match up on Black Friday? Yes, it is good national exposure for Arkansas, no matter who is doing the heavy lifting.

Thanks for digging that up.  That should serve to explain a lot to people who doubt the significance of losing that match up on Black Friday, and the exposure it garners for our program.  There's no doubt they tune in mostly to see LSU, but the fact that we've had at least a modicum of success with them over the years always lends the opportunity to raise eyebrows when we beat them like we did in 2010 with all those eyes on us. 

The next time we're in a critical game, and the refs make a lousy call that is then backed up by a review that is clearly in our favor but STILL manages to go against us, remember that move by the SEC.  If people are going to tell me that we're not still the "mistreated step child" by the league, then I say poppycock.  This just goes to show that if it means even a few more dollars, they're going to follow that path.  If/when we ever win the SEC, it will be a heroic feat, because we will have done it with the cards stacked against us.

I'm the farthest from a conspiracy theorists as you'll find, but IMO there is a enough of a body of evidence that we're past that.  The SEC will always foster the "heavy hitters" in an effort to supposedly better the entire league.  Taking that game from us is a PERFECT example.         
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Modsquad24 on April 10, 2014, 07:24:28 am
I'm as big a hog fan as there is, but some of you razorback fans are clowns....saying stuff like, "well if we beat Mizzou, its going to be expected, if they beat us its going to be what happened??" You guys do realize we were 3-9, 0-8 and one of the biggest jokes in the country last yr right? We are far from looking down on people, just saying...

In 2008, Rich Rod's first season at Michigan, he went 3-9.  Now, you can say it was because he didn't have the players for his system, his system was never going to work in the Big Ten, he wasn't the coach everyone thought, or that the talent level had dropped off prior to him getting there.  I don't care WHAT excuse you use, it was MICHIGAN, and they STUNK.

Do you think anyone thought..."Well, that's it for Michigan.  They'll never be good again.  Northwestern and Toledo will own them.  Forget all that history they have there.  They're a bottom feeder from here on out." 

No...no one thought that.  They either thought Rich Rod would turn it around with time when he got more players for his system, or they thought he would wear out his welcome and be pushed out.  BUT THEY DIDN'T IGNORE THEIR HISTORY and relegate them to a bottom feeder.

To your point specifically...I don't know that anyone is "looking down" on Mizzou.  It's more about the snub by the SEC to get to play LSU on a national stage with the spotlight on that game.  At least it is for me. 

But make no mistake about it...from a national perspective, people won't think, "Well, Arkansas should beat Missouri based on the schools' histories."  Know why?  No one will care, unless by chance at least one team is in a position to win their division, and even then, it's not going to compare to EITHER school playing an LSU, Bama, or Florida in the same time slot. 

Arkansas has to "re-prove" that 2010 and 2011 weren't anomalies, because in one sense I agree.  Other than the older demographic that recalls us competing with Texas all through the 60' and 70's for possible NC implications, and our big win over OU in the '78 Orange Bowl, we're not historically relevant since joining the SEC other than a few radar blips. 

In fact, it could easily be argued that Mizzou's season last year was right on par with either the 2010 or 2011 season in terms of SEC success.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

mizzouman

Again, I don't get this "National Perspective" thing.  Does it really matter?  Does it really help recruiting for Arkansas?  Has Arkansas' recruiting gotten any better with the LSU game being last? 

All you have to do is win and everything takes care of itself.  I just don't think that beating LSU in game 6 or whenever you play them, is less of a victory than beating them in game 12.  Likewise, I don't think losing to in game 12 is worse than losing to them early on.  It's the same in the record books.

Just win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 10, 2014, 07:49:47 am
Again, I don't get this "National Perspective" thing.  Does it really matter?  Does it really help recruiting for Arkansas?  Has Arkansas' recruiting gotten any better with the LSU game being last? 

All you have to do is win and everything takes care of itself.  I just don't think that beating LSU in game 6 or whenever you play them, is less of a victory than beating them in game 12.  Likewise, I don't think losing to in game 12 is worse than losing to them early on.  It's the same in the record books.

Just win.

See above.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

And look at the circumstances around that one particular AR/LSU game. Both teams ranked in the top 3 of the BCS.

And, that time slot is going to draw decent #'s, whoever is in it because it is not facing the slew of games that are on Saturday. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2014, 08:21:26 am
And look at the circumstances around that one particular AR/LSU game. Both teams ranked in the top 3 of the BCS.

And, that time slot is going to draw decent #'s, whoever is in it because it is not facing the slew of games that are on Saturday. 

Precisely the point as illustrated by the annual Iron Bowl the next day between Alabama and Auburn. You would think that would generate a lot of viewers, but fewer than if it had been played on Black Friday. That's why this is such a huge loss for us. That timeslot when we had almost a captive audience munching on leftover Turkey, gave us huge exposure to the region and the entire nation.
Go Hogs Go!

thegrizz

Im not trying to be a jerk here but did anyone outside of the state of Arkansas know that Ark/LSU was a rivalry game? I know I didnt. Rivalries are born of different things. In the case of the Mizzou/Kansas rivalry it was pure hatred. Dating back to the civil war the two states hated each other. It didnt matter if the teams were good or bad everyone was pumped for those games. But we didnt think of it as a national rivalry. I dont think most of us cared. It was our rivalry. To be a national rivalry you pretty much have to have two teams that are always playing each other for something important beyond just the pride of beating the other. Michigan/Ohio State would not be a big national game if both teams had been average for the last however many years. Not to many people give a crap about Harvard/Yale, but I promise it is a huge deal to the alumni from those two schools. Its ok not to have a huge rival. Nothing can be forced, things either happen or they don't. Nebraska has been a great program for many many years but they do not have a true rival. yes for alot of years the OU game was huge. But OU never thought of them as their rival. It was the biggest game of the year for both but Texas and Okie State were much more rivalry games. So you guys can talk like you are some historically powerful program and Mizzou is beneath you, but the only way to really prove it is to beat the hell out of us every year. It could happen. I have pulled my hair out for years over Mizzou's athletic programs. But right now, as of today, we are the better program. Thus I find it humorous to see those of you acting like you are to superior to play us on a big weekend. Trust me, we would prefer to play the Jayhawks that weekend. They just don't have the balls to play us.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 24, 2014, 11:00:21 am
Arkansas doesn't have any real football rivalries. People who feel LSU was a legitimate rivalry are kidding themselves. If you want to see a real rivalry, pay attention to Michigan and Ohio State. If you're the coach at Michigan and you cannot beat Ohio State, you get fired - period. Arkansas has no rivalries like that and hopefully we can build one with Missouri. Games pike that are good for

Seriously what a stupid terrible comparison. There are 4 or 5 rivalries on the same order as Mich. And OSU. No one just recreates that over a few season. We were building a great rivalry with South Carolina and despite your thoughts Ark and Lsu is developing into a Rivalry.  It will continue despite the loss of Black friday. Regardless of what the SEC wants Ark and misery doesn't become a set of rivals just because of proximity. Only time will tell.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: thegrizz on April 10, 2014, 09:06:39 am
Im not trying to be a jerk here but did anyone outside of the state of Arkansas know that Ark/LSU was a rivalry game? I know I didnt. Rivalries are born of different things. In the case of the Mizzou/Kansas rivalry it was pure hatred. Dating back to the civil war the two states hated each other. It didnt matter if the teams were good or bad everyone was pumped for those games. But we didnt think of it as a national rivalry. I dont think most of us cared. It was our rivalry. To be a national rivalry you pretty much have to have two teams that are always playing each other for something important beyond just the pride of beating the other. Michigan/Ohio State would not be a big national game if both teams had been average for the last however many years. Not to many people give a crap about Harvard/Yale, but I promise it is a huge deal to the alumni from those two schools. Its ok not to have a huge rival. Nothing can be forced, things either happen or they don't. Nebraska has been a great program for many many years but they do not have a true rival. yes for alot of years the OU game was huge. But OU never thought of them as their rival. It was the biggest game of the year for both but Texas and Okie State were much more rivalry games. So you guys can talk like you are some historically powerful program and Mizzou is beneath you, but the only way to really prove it is to beat the hell out of us every year. It could happen. I have pulled my hair out for years over Mizzou's athletic programs. But right now, as of today, we are the better program. Thus I find it humorous to see those of you acting like you are to superior to play us on a big weekend. Trust me, we would prefer to play the Jayhawks that weekend. They just don't have the balls to play us.

It has nothing to do with superiority over Mizzou.  We also recognize that LSU doesn't view us as a true "rival" anymore than we would view them as a rival over Texas.  That's not what this is about.  This is about exposure and interest.  We gained from the exposure we got from the LSU game on Black Friday...win, lose, or draw.  We lost that, because the league felt compelled to cater to TAMU and LSU's wishes of renewing their game from yesteryear...allegedly.  We know it's because of increased TV's, but that's another story. 

Outside of unusual circumstances, there will be little interest in the Arkansas vs. Mizzou game.  I hope some clever marketing is considered, and the networks can find some ways to advertise that game to create some interest, but I won't hold my breath. 

You guys are taking this as a slap in the face.  When you can make the argument that the rest of the country is going to have as much interest in Mizzou vs. Arkansas on Black Friday, as they have annually in a team like LSU that is typically in the title hunt, then I'll be happy to listen.  Until then, you better hope we come into that game undefeated, and you are too, because otherwise...it will be on par with the mighty battle between Tennessee and Vandy.     

hogsanity

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 10, 2014, 08:26:41 am
. That timeslot when we had almost a captive audience munching on leftover Turkey, gave us huge exposure to the region and the entire nation.

And more times than not, the nation saw the Hogs lose.  The Hogs won 2 games in that series that actually meant anything, 2010 and 2007. 2008 both teams were not very good.  Even the miracle on Markham was between 2 middle of the road teams in a pretty bad SECW that had Bama on probation.

I just don't see it some conspiracy to stick it to the Hogs.  Some people here see EVERYTHING as someone being out to get the program.

BluegrassRazorback

April 10, 2014, 10:06:09 am #195 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:22:36 am by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: thegrizz on April 10, 2014, 09:06:39 am

1. Nobody said we see ourselves as a National program - we want to be a National Program - Mizzou end of season doesn't help us become a national program

2. Playing Kansaw end of season has loads of history and hate but no one cares outside the I 70 Corridor of Missouri and Kansaw -we donot want to be your next nationally meaningless end of season game - besides there is no history

3.  Playing Mizxou mid season will be a great tail gate game that will mean Somthing in conference play - nothing more

4. LSU vs Ark a Rival game - we don't care what LSU thinks - but by CBS ranking the Ark vs LSU Black Friday game is a national rivial game  and has been ranked as a top 3-4 SEC game every year for the last 10 years - those are facts - and it has played significantly in Ark recuiting - that's a fact

5. Mizzou vs Ark as two small markets on Black Friday with I history will rank lower than your historical Mizzou vs Kansaw game - that's alot to lose for the so called good of the conference - the SEC screwed us both - just Mizzou is conditioned to play a regional game at the end of the year - while Arkansas is now conditioned to play a true national game (TV rankings over 10 years donot lie)

6. MU wife is a KU grad - her mother and Step Dad are Mizzou grads - they all agree they would rather play the Mizxou vs KU game at Arrow Head End of Season Than play Arkansas - but the Big XII will not scanction the game - right now - hoping that will change

7. Facts are facts - Arkansas is a small market that wants to become a national program - we need a giant to kill on that last weekend to help in this new TV age - pairing s with another small fan base program doesn't help us in this media market culture and 30 second memories - last game is huge -
This game with Mizzou vs Ark end of season doesn't help you or us except its. A goid tailgate that would even be better mid season

8. Ark fans that know the market business are upset. - because only Arkansas had to give up its highest ranked game for the good of the conference - and NO moving Ark vs LSU to earlier in the season is not the same - the new game projects to be a SEC middle of the pack game with - my Swag- a 30% + loss in viewership and Influence

9. We donot hate Mizzou - no history - your more like our cousins and we know as soon as you can you will pick Kansaw up again- which is fine with us - playing you is a good conference game like playing MSU (btw: MSU vs Ark is another small market contest and it has ranked as one of the lowest TV market games in the SEC according to CBS numbers - Mizzou Ark looks to be the same)

10. That all said - What do you really want out if this game?

How does playing Arkansas end of season help Mizzou? - it's a good tail gate that's all - there will be almost no national exposure - and accordingly it will have almost no recuiting Influnce nor Influnce poll voters be ause they will have to tune in to ESpN3 to watch it -

Face it - we got dumped on by pairing us together - end of season

The game has only Regional importance and will help discern the lower teir SEC ranking - TV eyes these days are significant - we don't get that paying each other at End of Season

Last point: We will happily play you but why should we drink the SEC Koolaide that this is a great thing - when ESPN as major stock holder in the SEC Network will decide who will play who and when in the next two - three years

To get in the best position for that outcome we need great TV rankings - we have a net loss in that Influnce picking Muzxou up at End of Season - period

The only thing we can do is play what's given - win as convincingly as possible and take advantage of any major program stumbles

Because a 10 win Ark or Mizxou going into last weekend vs a 10 win LSU same weekend - LSU will get the prime time because of fan base - we with each other will and small fanbase will be the undercard breakfast game

Ark to become a power - needs a giant to kill that weekend to keep TV numbers high -,not a cousin as we have the ''Tussle in Bug Tussel'' bowl

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2014, 10:05:17 am
And more times than not, the nation saw the Hogs lose.  The Hogs won 2 games in that series that actually meant anything, 2010 and 2007. 2008 both teams were not very good.  Even the miracle on Markham was between 2 middle of the road teams in a pretty bad SECW that had Bama on probation.

I just don't see it some conspiracy to stick it to the Hogs.  Some people here see EVERYTHING as someone being out to get the program.

No conspiracy.  Just economics, with us being on the short end of the stick.  EVEN if the game next season between LSU and TAMU has lower ratings than some of our significant matchups when we were both playing for something, the SEC won't worry. They know that as the game gains momentum, the viewership gains in the Texas market over the long haul will win out versus Arkansas's. 

Like it or not...it's another example of the rich getting richer on the grandest scale.  If things completely flip, Miles leaves LSU and they make a bad hire, and likewise for Sumlin...and MZ and AR become prominent, then maybe it backfires on them.  And hey...maybe Barry Bonds really didn't take steroids.   ;) 

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Modsquad24 on April 10, 2014, 07:24:28 am

No one is looking down on anyone here

It's positioning and numbers for a new Era that's evolving as TV continues to gain Influnce and pay for the game

Thanksgiving weekend has significant RV rankings and Influnce payouts - it's like - Well Blavk Friday for stores in the Christmas season in assuring store profits

In fact Ark vs Mizxou are seen as mirror programs - Ark has some history in the 60-80's that was good but marketers and programmers today never saw a winning Ark - they saw the HDN era

Mizxou has done success ladt year and is expected to come Bavk to earth this year - only thing in Mizxou favor this year is a weak East Div

Both Mizxou and Arkansas are small fan bases - we lose opportunities to improve our standings by playing each other

Simplisticly we play each other and we win it all works out - right?

Well in a perfect fair world that's true - reality is different

Btw: TV talking heads will say - in Ark vs Mizxou - Whoever wins ''should've have - who ever loses is diminished''

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

If we are both ranked in the top ten going into this final game, we will get the national exposure everyone is craving. So, it is up to both our programs to be successful on a consistent basis to help the hype.

I am not saying this forced rivalry will mirror the MU/KU game. I don't expect fans showing up with muskets, rifles, and six shooters thus requiring troops to be deployed like in the early days of MU/KU games. But this can be a decent rivalry.

Mike_e

Meh, the real pizzer is that we recruit in louisiana and lsu gets to keep the national game and we're stuck in a regional game.

+1 for them

-1 for us
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!