Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any anticipation for the new thanksgiving game vs Mizzou?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: bigeasyhog on March 28, 2014, 09:44:40 pm
Let's see ... Dale was 4-6 against La State and Petrino was 2-2  in that game. I'm sure they were looking for a change of scenery... I would be too.

Let's all tell Coach Broyles we're ready to get it on with the Horns on Turkey day. Now that's good TV.

Playing the Whornes on Turkey Day would be amazing - count me in favor of that game

bigeasyhog

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 29, 2014, 11:59:01 pm
Playing the Whornes on Turkey Day would be amazing - count me in favor of that game

The timing for the resumption of this game couldn't be any better for both schools; we both lost  our Thanksgiving weekend match ups. And, with the recent hire by Texas of an Arkansas boy, in Charlie Strong, it would add another story line to an already great history between the two schools.
From a TV standpoint, there's plenty of sex appeal from the two brands.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bigeasyhog on March 30, 2014, 10:09:45 am
The timing for the resumption of this game couldn't be any better for both schools; we both lost  our Thanksgiving weekend match ups. And, with the recent hire by Texas of an Arkansas boy, in Charlie Strong, it would add another story line to an already great history between the two schools.
From a TV standpoint, there's plenty of sex appeal from the two brands.

^

This makes sense.

bigeasyhog

It would also provide both schools an outlet to "throw tne finger" at both A&M and louisiana state , as well as the hogs sticking it back to the sec.

BluegrassRazorback

March 30, 2014, 11:44:15 am #104 Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:59:08 am by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: bigeasyhog on March 30, 2014, 10:26:06 am
It would also provide both schools an outlet to "throw tne finger" at both A&M and louisiana state , as well as the hogs sticking it back to the sec.

Add it would sell with the World Wide Leader who needs to stop the bleeding that the Long Whorne Network has become

Lots of great story lines and history

Then add the middle finger at the SEC /LSUand TAMU that you propose - what's not to love!

Even by the SEC criteria for Rivials it would be a great match up

Mizxou would be ok too because if Utex plays Ark then Mizxou will be able to play Kansaw again - the. bIG XII  will not be standing in the way

Oh if only this could happen

TNRazorbacker

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Shoat61 on March 24, 2014, 10:17:56 am
This game will help us replace some recruiting territory we lost to Tamu.  St. Louis, KC and Springfield are fertile ground as well as the adjoining states.  I think it has the potential of becoming a bigger rivalry than LSU.

Springfieldian here, Springfield is not fertile recruiting ground.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm
With mizzou's finish last year, how much anticipation is there with this new rivalry? Even more important, how do you think the razorbacks will do in the upcoming game?

Heck NO I want my LSU Corndog game back!!!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mick Hogger

If we used up one of our crappy non-con games with Texas, it would be on the level of Bama and LSU as far as ticket availability. I highly doubt I would ever go to a Thanksgiving Day game if MO was the opponent, but maybe on Friday.

Give me the Horns and I'll be seeing the family every other year.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hogsanity

It's a Hog football game, why wouldn't Hog fans be excited?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan14

Mike_e

Playing ut in Dallas the day after T day would be sweet.

Put the aggies in their place, tick off LSU and mizery (let 'em crawl back to kansas) and let the SEC know that we aren't lapdogs afterall.

Plus, we'd get a&m back on campus where they belong.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

popcornhog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 23, 2014, 08:49:21 pm
Nope.....
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/games/2004-01-01-independence_x.htm

I actually had a blast at that game. I went to the Houston Bowl the day before -- Navy v TTU and then drove to Shreveport for the Hogs game.
WPS

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: hogfan14 on April 05, 2014, 02:12:32 pm
Lol this thread made it over to the misery board

http://tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=11746540

Reading the quotes from them it's a SEC Front Office marriage made in heaven - two small market fringe programs fighting it out for the pride of winning the title - Oh what title?

Looks to me like Mizxou is as ready and excited to play us as we are them - which is no excitement at all

Neither of our programs gain anything in national prestige by beating the other - the game is a sad game with little to no potentuial at helping us or build  our programs

It will be equal to Mizzou vs Kansaw which is a non game on the national level - a laugher - no one outside of Manhattan or Coloumbia watches that game - in a TV era that's a kiss of death

Bottom line neither of our programs gain squat playing each other at end of season - the SEC screwed us both in this shotgun martiage and expect us to make Somthing worth while out if it

Besides - as soon as the Big XII allows Kansas to play Mizzou again - they will - (Because they have history) which we have None - nada with Mizxou and it will take 20 years to make anything of it - and with such a small market base it's only going to be worth a breakfast game slot

As for LSU seeing us As a rivial - I don't give a rats - the game benifits Ark - that's all that matters to me - and in 20 years of hard play - Ark made the game meaningful be ause from the experts I read here LSU didn't care - even though it rated consistantly as the SEC number 3-4 highest ranked game in National TV viewership

maybe UTex will be ready to play us end of year after Mizxou bolts to play Kansaw again

For the SEC front office - we are not your toys - I hope Ark beats your best teams enough to just cause chaos with your plans

I no longer care if any SEC team wins except when it helps Ark

popcornhog

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on April 06, 2014, 10:25:48 pm
Reading the quotes from them it's a SEC Front Office marriage made in heaven - two small market fringe programs fighting it out for the pride of winning the title - Oh what title?

Looks to me like Mizxou is as ready and excited to play us as we are them - which is no excitement at all

Neither of our programs gain anything in national prestige by beating the other - the game is a sad game with little to no potentuial at helping us or build  our programs

It will be equal to Mizzou vs Kansaw which is a non game on the national level - a laugher - no one outside of Manhattan or Coloumbia watches that game - in a TV era that's a kiss of death

Bottom line neither of our programs gain squat playing each other at end of season - the SEC screwed us both in this shotgun martiage and expect us to make Somthing worth while out if it

Bottom line as soon as the Big XII allows Kansas to play Mizzou again - they will - (Because they have history) which we have None - nada with Mizxou and it will take 20 years to make anything of it - and with such a small market base it's only going to be worth a breakfast game slot

As for LSU seeing us Asa rivial - I don't give a rats - the game benifits Ark - that's all that matters to me - and in 20 years of hard play - Ark made the game meaningful be ause from the experts I read here LSU didn't care - even though it rated consistantly as the SEC number 3-4 highest ranked game in National TV viewership

maybe UTex will be ready to play us end of year after Mizxou bolts to play Kansaw again

For the SEC front office - we are not your toys - I hope Ark beats your best teams enough to just cause chaos with your plans

I no longer care if any SEC team wins except when it helps Ark

"Kansaw" is in Lawrence, not Manhattan. Additionally, that was a game (even in football) watched be everyone on I-70 from Topeka-Lawrence-Kansas City-Columbia-St. Louis.

I agree though -- Mizzpu is a pretty boring rival, but who cares? It is what it is. We've never had a rival in the SEC. It seems like our fan bases are starting to hate each other so maybe it'll be fun.
WPS

BluegrassRazorback

April 06, 2014, 10:50:26 pm #115 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:30:42 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: popcornhog on April 06, 2014, 10:32:02 pm
"Kansaw" is in Lawrence, not Manhattan. Additionally, that was a game (even in football) watched be everyone on I-70 from Topeka-Lawrence-Kansas City-Columbia-St. Louis.

I agree though -- Mizzpu is a pretty boring rival, but who cares? It is what it is. We've never had a rival in the SEC. It seems like our fan bases are starting to hate each other so maybe it'll be fun.

You sir are a quality fan trying to make the best of a bad situation

Thanks I couldn't resist - gas to the fire - bad of me

My wife is a KU grad - Ive been to Lawerence lots of times

GrandDad is a old Kansas St Aggie (now Wildcats)

Inlaws are Mizxou grads

I dont hate Mizzou - I now simply hate the SEC Front Office

They took two small programs and assured they will have a tougher time competing in the TV era with this arrangement

The game may be fun for a few fans and that's only to pacify us both - to being used to playing games end of season with no national significance

Guess I best get happy with it - there is no other choice -

Ark Just got to win to the point that that last game has no bearing on anything except it was played and the tailgate is good - but Mizzou can say the same

Neither program gains on a national level by playing each other at the end of the season

Ok it's over - nothing we can do about it - the SEC just made it harder for both programs to enhance themselves - with Arkansas the biggest looser with this new areangement

We as fans can try and make it a fun regional game which we just have to realize will ve a national TV blackout or breakfast game as a undercard for games that matter that weekend

What we don't have to do is drink the Koolaide that the SEC did us any favors

mizzouman

Three pages of this an not ONE real good reason why Arkansas should or should not play Mizzou at the end of the year.  NOT ONE. 

Most feel that the game doesn't give Arkansas any national attention and the LSU game would.  So what?  You have to play LSU and Mizzou anyway.  Does it really matter when you play these two games? 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: mizzouman on April 07, 2014, 07:49:29 am
Three pages of this an not ONE real good reason why Arkansas should or should not play Mizzou at the end of the year.  NOT ONE. 

Most feel that the game doesn't give Arkansas any national attention and the LSU game would.  So what?  You have to play LSU and Mizzou anyway.  Does it really matter when you play these two games?

???   Just ONE post above yours gives a very good reason.  Making a name for your program is much easier by beating LSU on a spotlight Friday game, then it is beating a non marquis team without a reputation of being one of the top programs. 

Like it or not, if Mizzou could play UGA on that Friday, and the UA could play LSU...both programs would stand a LOT more to gain from those matchups than playing each other. 

To flip the coin a bit...if you guys beat up on the UA this season, after the abysmal performance we've had in the past two years, what does that gain Mizzou?  Maybe...maybe...a recruit that might have otherwise considered the UA?  It certainly doesn't do anything to bolster your reputation as a whole on the level it would if you beat UGA, Florida, SCe, or dare I saw even Tenn. right now.   :(     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

So what? It isn't up to us or to Arkansas. This is an SEC thing and it was just handed to us. No one has to like it, it just is what it is.

What do we gain from it? Not much. Why? Because generally speaking Missouri produces no more Div I signees (on average over a span of years) than Arkansas does and the last report I saw on t.v. viewership showed that from something like 2002-2011 the Kansas City market ranked about #25 and St. Louis wasn't ranked at all. Heck Tulsa and Oklahoma City were in the top 10 or 15 and Oklahoma produces more D-I athletes overall and on average than either Arkansas or Missouri.

Now that being said, it matters not because the SEC assigned us this game so we are stuck with it regardless of how little it tends to benefit us aside from it being just another SEC game.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 07, 2014, 08:02:13 am
???   Just ONE post above yours gives a very good reason.  Making a name for your program is much easier by beating LSU on a spotlight Friday game, then it is beating a non marquis team without a reputation of being one of the top programs. 

Like it or not, if Mizzou could play UGA on that Friday, and the UA could play LSU...both programs would stand a LOT more to gain from those matchups than playing each other. 

To flip the coin a bit...if you guys beat up on the UA this season, after the abysmal performance we've had in the past two years, what does that gain Mizzou?  Maybe...maybe...a recruit that might have otherwise considered the UA?  It certainly doesn't do anything to bolster your reputation as a whole on the level it would if you beat UGA, Florida, SCe, or dare I saw even Tenn. right now.   :(   
My point is that Arkansas has to play both anyway.  I don't think it matters when.  If you beat both, you're looking good.  Beating LSU on Thanksgiving weekend doesn't give anymore attention than beating them on any other weekend.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 07, 2014, 08:14:37 am
My point is that Arkansas has to play both anyway.  I don't think it matters when.  If you beat both, you're looking good.  Beating LSU on Thanksgiving weekend doesn't give anymore attention than beating them on any other weekend.

Not exactly true. Playing on black Friday gave us a national t.v. audience for greater exposure. As I pointed out above, we won't get that with Missouri. And what do we play for? The Tablerock Trophy or "Show Me" Trophy? Sorry, can't get excited about it.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

It doesn't matter now anyway.  The ratings for TAMU versus LSU will be higher, and there's no way around that due to the eyes in Texas versus Arkansas.  That dam's already got a breach. 

Don't get me wrong...if both Mizzou and Arkansas can be relevant, then our match up could spur interest pretty quickly.  I think a rivalry could spur from it, and that's what I would like to see.  Proximity always increases the chance for a rivalry to develop, and while we have some fans who don't think we need a rival, I think it adds to the intrigue.  Let's face it...both programs have a LONG way to go before we were going to have rivals with the "big boys" in the conference. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 08:22:27 am
Not exactly true. Playing on black Friday gave us a national t.v. audience for greater exposure. As I pointed out above, we won't get that with Missouri. And what do we play for? The Tablerock Trophy or "Show Me" Trophy? Sorry, can't get excited about it.
Can you get excited about a win????  It doesn't matter.  You have to play the teams on your schedule, national exposure or not.  Just win and everything works out.  Beating LSU vs. beating Mizzou on that same weekend doesn't and hasn't given Arkansas anymore glory. 

Fans need to stop complaining about when games are played and just concentrate on supporting the team when they do play.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: mizzouman on April 07, 2014, 08:55:17 am
Can you get excited about a win????  It doesn't matter.  You have to play the teams on your schedule, national exposure or not.  Just win and everything works out.  Beating LSU vs. beating Mizzou on that same weekend doesn't and hasn't given Arkansas anymore glory. 

Fans need to stop complaining about when games are played and just concentrate on supporting the team when they do play.

Without even looking at your non-conference schedule, maybe this will resonate.  Play Missouri State on Black Friday every year and see what that does to help your program.  That's as clearly as I can put it.  It wouldn't even make it on national TV, because there wouldn't be any interest outside of Missouri, and even then...it would be fleeting when you beat them by 50 every season. 

Our state has half the population of Missouri.  Our prospects are MUCH better by winning over even a few kids from northern LA, who might prefer to be a bigger fish in a little pond at the UA than going to LSU, or one of the other smaller schools in LA.  I haven't looked it up, but I dare say that we've done MUCH better with picking up a few kids from the Monroe and Shreveport area than we have kids from the entire state of Missouri over the years. 

That's a LOCAL example, but the bigger loss is the national exposure.  People nationally care what LSU does at least on some level.  Mizzou and Arkansas combined don't have the national interest that LSU garners.  Sad...but true.   :(

mizzouman

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 07, 2014, 09:10:03 am
Without even looking at your non-conference schedule, maybe this will resonate.  Play Missouri State on Black Friday every year and see what that does to help your program.  That's as clearly as I can put it.  It wouldn't even make it on national TV, because there wouldn't be any interest outside of Missouri, and even then...it would be fleeting when you beat them by 50 every season. 

Our state has half the population of Missouri.  Our prospects are MUCH better by winning over even a few kids from northern LA, who might prefer to be a bigger fish in a little pond at the UA than going to LSU, or one of the other smaller schools in LA.  I haven't looked it up, but I dare say that we've done MUCH better with picking up a few kids from the Monroe and Shreveport area than we have kids from the entire state of Missouri over the years. 

That's a LOCAL example, but the bigger loss is the national exposure.  People nationally care what LSU does at least on some level.  Mizzou and Arkansas combined don't have the national interest that LSU garners.  Sad...but true.   :(

OK, we'll agree to disagree.  If it were me, I have to play the games on the schedule.  I don't care when they are played.  If you win, that takes care of a lot of things.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 07, 2014, 08:55:17 am

No one said anything about not supporting the Hogs, whatever game they play. That was your statement, not mine or anyone elses. I think you are just miffed that we see replacing the LSU game on Black Friday with its national t.v. exposure, with Missouri, as being a downgrade. Which by the way, it is.

And as I said, it doesn't matter because these are just the "lemons" we have been handed by the SEC front office. It is still, just another SEC game, and of course by virtue of the fact it is an SEC game, one we want to win.

As for "glory" as you put it, it really isn't at all about "glory", it is about national t.v. exposure on a day when there are few if any other games, for recruiting and for the best benefit of our program, and that is something that playing your fellas, won't offer us.

Heck, we would be better off having an OOC match up with Oklahoma State on that day when kids from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and parts of Louisiana (as well as some other states) would be watching. But that will never happen on that weekend as OSU is normally in preparation for their match with OU.

Sorry, I know you would love for us to get all excited about playing Mizzou, but not so much. Still, since the SEC front office handed us lemons, I guess we will just have to make the best lemonade that we possibly can, out of the situation.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

In 2010 both the Hogs and LSU finished the regular season at 10-2, but we beat LSU the Friday before the BCS bowl matchups were announced.  I have no doubt whatsoever that if we had instead beaten LSU in October...and they had since run off five or six straight wins...they would have been selected for the Sugar Bowl instead of Arkansas.

I can hear Jesse Palmer and Herbstreit now.  "This isn't the same LSU team that lost to Arkansas in October.  They have since gotten on a roll, beaten Alabama, and are as playing as well as any team in the country right now..."

Come on, now.  We all know that's what would have happened.

Playing LSU on Black Friday not only gave us additional national exposure, but it was also a springboard game for the Hogs in we were able to beat them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2014, 09:25:57 am
In 2010 both the Hogs and LSU finished the regular season at 10-2, but we beat LSU the Friday before the BCS bowl matchups were announced.  I have no doubt whatsoever that if we had instead beaten LSU in October...and they had since run off five or six straight wins...they would have been selected for the Sugar Bowl instead of Arkansas.

I can hear Jesse Palmer and Herbstreit now.  "This isn't the same LSU team that lost to Arkansas in October.  They have since gotten on a roll, beaten Alabama, and are as playing as well as any team in the country right now..."

Come on, now.  We all know that's what would have happened.

Playing LSU on Black Friday not only gave us additional national exposure, but it was also a springboard game for the Hogs in we were able to beat them.

Absolutely correct.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

All I'm saying is that it boils down to winning.  I don't care when the game is played, just win.  I guess I don't get caught up in the national exposure thing nor do I worry about what Palmer and Herbstreit think.

If you win, it takes care of itself.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 07, 2014, 09:59:57 am
All I'm saying is that it boils down to winning.  I don't care when the game is played, just win.  I guess I don't get caught up in the national exposure thing nor do I worry about what Palmer and Herbstreit think.

At least you got what you requested. Good reasons as to why we shouldn't be playing Missouri the last game of the year instead of LSU on Black Friday.

Now you know. Question answered.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Yes, good conversations.  Good luck next year.  Should be and will be a better season.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 07, 2014, 09:59:57 am

Go away.

EastexHawg

It's not a matter of what Palmer and Herbstreit think, it's the difference between playing in the Capital One Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.  The Sugar Bowl selection committee and the SEC couldn't very well justify picking LSU when we had the same record they did and we had just beaten them a few days before.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2014, 11:30:36 am
It's not a matter of what Palmer and Herbstreit think, it's the difference between playing in the Capital One Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.  The Sugar Bowl selection committee and the SEC couldn't very well justify picking LSU when we had the same record they did and we had just beaten them a few days before.

Is the dynamic the same now, with the 4 teams playoff? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 07, 2014, 01:19:38 pm
Is the dynamic the same now, with the 4 teams playoff?

Who knows?  If you have Alabama, Oklahoma, and Florida State all in and the final choice comes down to LSU or Arkansas it's certainly possible.  Of course, the same thing could happen with Missouri I suppose...but for the last decade it hasn't been nearly as likely that a win over Missouri is as nationally prestigious as beating LSU.

Since 2000 Missouri is 105-71.  LSU has gone 143-40 with two national championships and another championship game appearance.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2014, 01:51:43 pm
Who knows?  If you have Alabama, Oklahoma, and Florida State all in and the final choice comes down to LSU or Arkansas it's certainly possible.  Of course, the same thing could happen with Missouri I suppose...but for the last decade it hasn't been nearly as likely that a win over Missouri is as nationally prestigious as beating LSU.

Since 2000 Missouri is 105-71.  LSU has gone 143-40 with two national championships and another championship game appearance.

I was just referring to the overall process of putting teams in bowls.  I know the SEC champ still goes to the Sugar, unless otherwise obligated in the playoff, but after that is the SEC still tied to the sec?  If the SEC champ is unavailable, can the Sugar just pick any team to replace them? 

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 07, 2014, 02:03:33 pm
I was just referring to the overall process of putting teams in bowls.  I know the SEC champ still goes to the Sugar, unless otherwise obligated in the playoff, but after that is the SEC still tied to the sec?  If the SEC champ is unavailable, can the Sugar just pick any team to replace them?
2011 season which would be the 2012 sugar bowl Michagan played Virgina Tech but I assume this only happened because of the BCS limitation of two teams per conference.

BluegrassRazorback

April 07, 2014, 03:50:48 pm #137 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:29:42 pm by BluegrassRazorback

It's been posted several times by multi posters -

The change in the game (LSU vs Ark) projects to be a middle of the pack SEC game once removed from that sweet spot Black Friday spot

So yes we still play LSU but we get 30%. Less benifit in national TV audience - in a day and age of TV influence that is a huge loss after making LSU vs Ark game a special end of season event

As for our new game with you

If Mizxou wins - no one nationally will care

If Ark wins no one nationally will care - because the game projects to have very little national impact

In the end the SEC screwed both Mizzou and Ark by assuring that the most influential weekend of the year that both programs are bundled in a small market purgatory of NO influence

This move was a vote by the SEC that Ark and Missouri are cellar programs that they want to stay there

Missouri ought to be very pissed because the SEC has used you for your academics to help the image of the Conf and then prevented you from getting TAMu as your end of season game that could of helped you - instead you got Ark who cannot help you as a end of season market game

The SEC also made you a East Div team at Bama's request so Auburn has to remain in the West - funny Mizzou is west of the Mississippi and  in the central time zone but your in the East Div - that wasnt done  because the SEC was trying to help Mizzou

The SEC thinks we are all fools enough to Call this a great Rival end of year game - they need us to believe that so they can justify the favoritism they have practiced to the larger programs While telling us they want all of us to succeed - that's bull

Now my bellyaching aside   - let's not even pretend this is good or a rival because it isn't on all counts - No History - No Real Outcomes - all our outcomes will be decided by the time we get to the game -

The Ark va Mizzou game is a game we should play - middle year like any other game whose importance is simply its a Conf game that's all

Now in 20 years it may mean Something and become a good game -

but honestly - as soon as KU can play Mizzou again the SEC will allow it - after all after 20 years of investing in the LSU game the SEC changed that game with hardley a notification to Ark

The SEC is not our friends - they are better than the old SWC - but as an Ark fan I know Arkansas is on her own - the SEC is simply how we make $ and another barrier to overcome to gain what we want

BluegrassRazorback

April 07, 2014, 10:25:37 pm #138 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:38:43 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 07, 2014, 09:10:03 am

Truth here

Good points and great thread

One more comment:

as for LSU not considering Ark as a Rival -

I'm a Hog fan who could care less what LSU thinks - I want the game that weekend because it benefits Arkansas - Period!

Playing Ark doesn't benefit Mizzou nor Arkansas that last weekend  - unless all you want to do is help some local retailers - on a national level its meaningless - SEC Screwed us both -

This isnt 1950 - this is a TV market driven reality now and we just got shut out by the people that are supposed to help strengthen the WHOLE conference - all  they did was help LSU and TAMU no one else

mizzouman

Here's my final point on this.

This game will benefit both Mizzou and Arkansas from a fans perspective.  This is Thanksgiving weekend.  There's a lot of Arkansas fans that have family in Missouri and a lot of Mizzou fans with family in Arkansas.  Travel will not be an issue for either fanbase and the proximity will make for a rivalry in the years to come.

As far as the national exposure, it will come as long as both teams win.  Again, winning brings enough attention.  Is everyone saying that if both teams come into this game at 10-1 or 9-2, this game won't have any national exposure?  If you win, you get attention. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2014, 07:46:31 am
Here's my final point on this.

This game will benefit both Mizzou and Arkansas from a fans perspective.  This is Thanksgiving weekend.  There's a lot of Arkansas fans that have family in Missouri and a lot of Mizzou fans with family in Arkansas.  Travel will not be an issue for either fanbase and the proximity will make for a rivalry in the years to come.

As far as the national exposure, it will come as long as both teams win.  Again, winning brings enough attention.  Is everyone saying that if both teams come into this game at 10-1 or 9-2, this game won't have any national exposure?  If you win, you get attention.

I won't argue that, but you painted a perfect scenario that would imply that both teams are likely in the running for the SECCG.  A more likely, and less desirable scenario, is that Arkansas comes into next year's game with 2 conference wins, and Mizzou has maybe one or two more than that.  The only implication is more likely to be who gets to play in whatever bowl is better...the chainsaw or weed eater.   

If there's a highlight play during the game, it might rise up to a level of "blurb worthy" on the recap shows.   :(

I still liked the idea of instead of playing for the "Golden Boot," we play for ownership of the boot of Missouri.  The years we own it, your meth numbers would go down a little, and the years you own it, our roads would be better overall.  It's a win-win.    :D   

Mike_e

There is another dynamic in lsu and aTm playing end of year and that's that it further marginalizes ut.

It might have been an inducement for aTm to get them to join and a bone thrown to lsu because we had become a thorn in their side but it's a serious left-handed slap at ut. 

"OK, ut, don't want to join us and blow the rest of the ncaa out of the water?  Fine, we'll take the next best and do everything we can to elevate them to prominence in your state and in the nation.  We've got your longhorn network right here."

Should the SEC become successful in this then we'll certainly have a better chance, should we care to, to entice ut into a T day/weekend series.

And if we can pull that off then ooops, lsu -and the rest of the SEC- will have a care about us.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

hogsanity

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on April 07, 2014, 10:25:37 pm

lThis isnt 1950 - this is a TV market driven reality now and we just got shut out by the people that are supposed to help strengthen the WHOLE conference - all  they did was help LSU and TAMU no one else

You just answered the why they moved the games around.  You do know there are more tv households in the Houston market, than in the entire state of Arkansas.  The ARk/LSu game has had some good games with national implications, but more often one or both teams was well out of the bcs picture by the time the game rolled around. On a national scale, at least right now, lsu/a&m is much more likely to have national appeal than ark.lsu is. 

BluegrassRazorback

April 08, 2014, 10:11:27 am #143 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:32:48 am by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2014, 08:45:03 am
You just answered the why they moved the games around.  You do know there are more tv households in the Houston market, than in the entire state of Arkansas.  The ARk/LSu game has had some good games with national implications, but more often one or both teams was well out of the bcs picture by the time the game rolled around. On a national scale, at least right now, lsu/a&m is much more likely to have national appeal than ark.lsu is. 

You have a great point but ill add this for your consideration:

There were two arguments about this scheduling change - among many but lets boil it down to two  - from a pure marketing side of things

The Ark vs LSU game actually had a very strong national appeal being the number 3-4 highest rated game in the SEC for the last decade (Google CBS College Football Viewers - 2014 ETC)

The Ark vs LSU game makes some marketers very happy because its a consistent good performer on that Black Friday- so is bank for them -

moving the game to Earlier in the season it is est it will lose 30% and more viewers because - the game:
1. Will be competing against other high market games
2. The earlier season game will not have as apparent bowl and or Championship outcomes -

that last point (my opinion only ) is important because Ark has made the game a good one and Ark has a 1-3 chance of keeping LSU out of a major bowl or championship - this too may have been in the leagues mind

The marketers who like the LSU vs Ark game think TAMU vs Mizzou would balance the books - close enough on a national population sampling - to offset any advantages number wise of having one big LSU vs TAMU game

But when dealing with Texas - it's always about Texas -

Now the marketers can only make options known through the TV networks - the. The League offices and TV networks who pay the bills (Like ESPN and CBS) decide what the product will be on the air (This is not new  - that horrid game on 6 Dec 1969 was a result of that process)

In the near future 2-4 years - AD's will have NO input into when and who you play - they will be given a schedule - so Jeff Longs supposed concessions to keep LSU and Bama from being back to back goes out the window - I digress

League offices of the SEC along with TV networks decide the winners and losers in this new evolving hyper TV market - bundling two small market teams together regulates those teams to a basic regional game of insignificance - that would appear to not be in the league office favor to intentualy hamstring (sorry bad pun) two programs that can be histrorical league challengers two to three times a decade - you would think would hurt the league long run

But: it appears your right - the Texas market reigns supreme right now -largest growing population and strongest economy in the US - and that is my guess what tilted the decision - 

Along with

It appears The SEC mAde a deal with TAMU in coming to the SEC(who it also appears was in discussions with LSUprior to moving )

But yes as you suggest but yes - markets played a huge part in this decison but the tipping point appears to be TAMU need for a GAme to offset the loss of Texas - so TAMU joining has hurt Arkansas - so far

My only hope is

1. TAMU will be the Aggies they have always been and screw this up

2. Ark can play Mizzou enod of season but at the soonest opportunity we see a window we drop them for a MArket team that helps us!

This may happen - because I beleive Mizzou is conditioned to play a end of season game of no Significance as demonstrated by 100 ywars of playing Kansaw

as soon as Kansaw gets permission to play Mizzou again they will want that game end of season because of history and great tailgates for them -

at that time we make a move

Mizzou vs Ark will be just as good a tailgate will help just as many regional marketers mid season as it will end of season - so I'm ok with some kissing the Dogpatch Cousins just lets be real and get a giant to kill as soon as possible -

maybe we will only have to endure this for 5 years or so

BluegrassRazorback

April 08, 2014, 10:24:56 am #144 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:34:36 am by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: mizzouman on April 08, 2014, 07:46:31 am
Here’s my final point on this.

This game will benefit both Mizzou and Arkansas from a fans perspective.  This is Thanksgiving weekend.  There’s a lot of Arkansas fans that have family in Missouri and a lot of Mizzou fans with family in Arkansas.  Travel will not be an issue for either fanbase and the proximity will make for a rivalry in the years to come.

As far as the national exposure, it will come as long as both teams win.  Again, winning brings enough attention.  Is everyone saying that if both teams come into this game at 10-1 or 9-2, this game won’t have any national exposure?  If you win, you get attention. 

I appreciate your oppion - it's simple and enticing - you just affirmed what I suspected -

You have been pre conditioned to play an end of season game of no significance after your 100 year history of playing that KU vs Mizxou end of season

A game that NO One watched or cared about outside the I-70 Corridor of Missouri and Kansas (which we learned about as the score scrolled across the bottom of the screen as we watched other games of importance)  but you had a good tailgate

Even when KU had the fighting Mangeno's (Jaw Hawks) and you were doing well it was a mid level National game at best

That's what Ark vs Mizzou will be when both are 9 win teams - No one will care - except in the Ozarks - we will already know what bowl we are going to at 9-10 wins each under this new system - we are small programs - this game is a regional TV game at best -

Your wanting a game to replace your family tailgate vs KU - ok - I get that

Arkansas wants to build a program and compete and not lose the 20 years of investment we put into LSU End of Season - which btw - was a yawner when that started - but we did make something out of it after 20 years of hard work only to have to get Mizzou now!

Looking in The tea leaves - when KU is freed by the Big XII to play you again - Mizzou will drop us like a hot Rock and our insignificant game can be moved mid season where it belongs (because its simply a conf game - nothing more)  and I hope we pick up a market team that matters - like UTex or LSU again

That's my hope - Ark needs a giant to kill

Bottom line we play the game - it's a conference game -  it may make the difference between Independence or Liberty Bowl

But as soon as we get the chance we dump each other for for market games that matters!

but play mizzou - Im all for it as a mid season game

Mizzou vs Ark will be just as good a tailgate will help just as many regional marketers mid season as it will end of season -

so I'm ok with some kissing the Dogpatch Cousins just lets be real and get a giant to kill as soon as possible -

maybe we will only have to endure this for 5 years or so

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Mike_e on April 08, 2014, 08:40:24 am
There is another dynamic in lsu and aTm playing end of year and that's that it further marginalizes ut.

It might have been an inducement for aTm to get them to join and a bone thrown to lsu because we had become a thorn in their side but it's a serious left-handed slap at ut. 

"OK, ut, don't want to join us and blow the rest of the ncaa out of the water?  Fine, we'll take the next best and do everything we can to elevate them to prominence in your state and in the nation.  We've got your longhorn network right here."

Should the SEC become successful in this then we'll certainly have a better chance, should we care to, to entice ut into a T day/weekend series.

And if we can pull that off then ooops, lsu -and the rest of the SEC- will have a care about us.  ;)

From my TAMU friends they say this did indeed play a role and was a condition for them to join the conference

I have no proof but I think you are correct

hogsanity

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on April 08, 2014, 10:11:27 am
You have a great point but ill add this for your consideration:

There were two arguments about this scheduling change - among many but lets boil it down to two  - from a pure marketing side of things

The Ark vs LSU game actually had a very strong national appeal being the number 3-4 highest rated game in the SEC for the last decade (Google CBS College Football Viewers - 2014 ETC)

The Ark vs LSU game makes some marketers very happy because its a consistent good performer on that Black Friday- so is bank for them -

moving the game to Earlier in the season it is est it will lose 30% and more viewers because - the game:
1. Will be competing against other high market games
2. The earlier season game will not have as apparent bowl and or Championship outcomes -

that last point (my opinion only ) is important because Ark has made the game a good one and Ark has a 1-3 chance of keeping LSU out of a major bowl or championship - this too may have been in the leagues mind

Any SEC game on Black Friday on CBS is going to draw well, any game with LSU as long as LSu is pretty good.  Odds are LSU/A&M is going to draw as well or better than ark/lsu in the same spot. 

rhames

Yall thinking way too hard on this.

Still have to win both games doesn't matter where  they happen.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: hogsanity on April 08, 2014, 11:43:24 am
Any SEC game on Black Friday on CBS is going to draw well, any game with LSU as long as LSu is pretty good.  Odds are LSU/A&M is going to draw as well or better than ark/lsu in the same spot. 

Yes but....  :)

I have beaten this house to death

I still think we dump Mizzou for a better market game as soon as possible - move them to mid season and it will be just as good a game with Mizou mid season - maybe better than end of season

mizzouman

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 08, 2014, 08:04:04 am
I won't argue that, but you painted a perfect scenario that would imply that both teams are likely in the running for the SECCG.  A more likely, and less desirable scenario, is that Arkansas comes into next year's game with 2 conference wins, and Mizzou has maybe one or two more than that.  The only implication is more likely to be who gets to play in whatever bowl is better...the chainsaw or weed eater.   

If there's a highlight play during the game, it might rise up to a level of "blurb worthy" on the recap shows.   :(

I still liked the idea of instead of playing for the "Golden Boot," we play for ownership of the boot of Missouri.  The years we own it, your meth numbers would go down a little, and the years you own it, our roads would be better overall.  It's a win-win.    :D
I guess I'm more optimistic that both teams will be good having at least 8 or 9 wins coming into this game.