Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any anticipation for the new thanksgiving game vs Mizzou?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

With mizzou's finish last year, how much anticipation is there with this new rivalry? Even more important, how do you think the razorbacks will do in the upcoming game?

OTTER

First, I've gotten over being screwed out of the season ending game with LSU.  We've known for a couple of years it was going to happen.  I also believe the Mizzou game can develop into a pretty good rivalry over time.  Finally, we will stomp the dog crap out of them this year.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

ncrebel

Hey Sweet Feet.  I bagged on you a few weeks ago over a thread you started.  I think it was a big 12 / Arkansas thread.  I'm going give you props for your last few, which have been pretty decent. 

I don't have any real excitement about the Mizzou game.  It is a better basketball rivalry.  It almost feels like we were paired with the ugly girl for the dance, with everyone trying to convince us it was best for everybody (she's your next door neighbor so it must be destiny). 

I'm sure we will have fans on both sides (Mizzou and Arkansas) trying to make it a rivalry.  Only time will tell.
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

Hoggish1

This will be the next great rivalry on the Saturday after Thanksgiving!  And, it will cause our recruiting to go through the roof in the St. Louis metro area.

Vantage 8 dude

Personally I think it will likely take a good while to develop the type of drama and intensity that was the LSU season ending series. Hope that's because most years we beat the crap out of the (MU) version of the kitty cats.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 23, 2014, 08:44:46 pm
Personally I think it will likely take a good while to develop the type of drama and intensity that was the LSU season ending series. Hope that's because most years we beat the crap out of the (MU) version of the kitty cats.

Haven't we lost every game that we played against Missouri?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HiggiePiggy

Ok looked it up so we are 2-3 against them all time.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 23, 2014, 08:45:41 pm
Haven't we lost every game that we played against Missouri?
My comment was directed at the games GOING FORWARD.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 23, 2014, 08:57:53 pm

Mizzou beat us in 1906, 1963, and in 2008.
Hogs won in 1944 & 2003.

It's a classic rivalry.... ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pigsrus

I for one am looking forward to this annual football game.  Living in Missouri now I likely hear more about them than the typical hog fan.  I believe Mizzou is going to be far better next year than anyone wants to admit.  They have a stud in their QB and lots of upper classman. I think they challenge again for the East.  I still think we are more than a year away. 

Hawghiggs

This is the best thing for us. Recruiting the state of Missouri is a must for the program going forward. It is a late season game that we should be able to win.

ZERO

i hate to think that we're going to kick this rivalry off with a loss, but I don't have a lot of hope in winning next year. Still, I think it's going to be a good rivalry.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hawgzinbowlz

The SEC Network will assure that Arkansas vs. Missouri has all the media hype to develop into a rivalry.
Money is driving this train.
It will be a tough and competitive game this year.

" GO HOGS "

redeye

Quote from: OTTER on March 23, 2014, 06:02:20 pm
First, I've gotten over being screwed out of the season ending game with LSU.  We've known for a couple of years it was going to happen.  I also believe the Mizzou game can develop into a pretty good rivalry over time.  Finally, we will stomp the dog crap out of them this year.

Same here, mostly.  I don't give a flying frick about LSU, but I'm very excited about playing Missouri.  It's long time we played Missouri yearly, and for those still dwelling on LSU, we'll still play them every year, too.  I'm not ready to call it a rivalry, yet, but I think it'll develop into something bigger/better then any of us realize.

Missouri won't be easy, though.  If we overlook them, then we'll lose games we shouldn't.  Those who are overconfident are just setting our team up for a disappointing loss, imo.

Shoat61

This game will help us replace some recruiting territory we lost to Tamu.  St. Louis, KC and Springfield are fertile ground as well as the adjoining states.  I think it has the potential of becoming a bigger rivalry than LSU.

HogFanatic

Arkansas doesn't have any real football rivalries. People who feel LSU was a legitimate rivalry are kidding themselves. If you want to see a real rivalry, pay attention to Michigan and Ohio State. If you're the coach at Michigan and you cannot beat Ohio State, you get fired - period. Arkansas has no rivalries like that and hopefully we can build one with Missouri. Games pike that are good for football.

Also, don't expect a win this year. For some reason people around here like to think Missouri isn't any good, but if you've paid ANY attention to their program over the last 5 or 6 years, you would see that they are going to be a very good team. They benefitted greatly from joining the SEC. I could see them competing for the SEC East last year and called it while everyone seemed to think they'd be the red headed step child of the SEC.
Their program is currently better. We will catch up, but it may take time.

Hogs-n-Roses

Well when the rest of the team comes out of the closet and their coach takes a morals refresher course then we can talk rivalry. Till then The Mizzouri Liberals will be taken for granted by me. JK

chitwnhog

I was disappointed to lose the LSU T-day series and hope that the Mizzou series can be as close and as meaningful.

jusgtohogs

The SEC is trying to manufacture a rivalry between the U of A and Missouri.  The problem is that most fans, myself included, just don't care about the team in Columbia, MO.

hogrocker

As a fanbase, I think most of us feel the same way about Missouri that LSU felt about us.  It was a mistake for LSU fans to be apathetic about that game.  It will be a mistake for us to feel apathetic about the Missouri game.  We had better take them seriously, because Missouri will take this game seriously.  Our campuses are close enough to each other to make this a real rivalry, something the LSU game never had much of a chance to become. 

3kgthog

There's no rivalry here. There never will be. At least with LSU the game usually had an impact on the West championship. That'll most likely never be the case with the Mizzou game. That said, they'll beat us in Columbia. Of that I have no doubt.

Torqued pork

Hopefully it won't be completely overshadowed by Bama/Auburn and LSU/A&M every year.

thehill1414

Very indifferent about it, just another game that will be the most important game of the season that week.  Really wish we could still have LSU in that spot. 

In my opinion, there is little to gain by beating Mizzou as far as improving national respect and image. You beat LSU and people talk about it.  Mizzou isn't a bad game, it's just not noteworthy.  Mizzou on the other hand should be thrilled at replacing a dreadful KU with a respectable program like Arkansas.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: chitwnhog on March 24, 2014, 01:24:41 pm
I was disappointed to lose the LSU T-day series and hope that the Mizzou series can be as close and as meaningful.

We should not have an out of division rivalry. I'am going to bitch to high heaven when the SEC has the Ref's cull one of us to keep from having a rematch in the Championship game...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

chitwnhog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine on March 24, 2014, 02:32:32 pm
We should not have an out of division rivalry. I'am going to bitch to high heaven when the SEC has the Ref's cull one of us to keep from having a rematch in the Championship game...

Well...we had South Carolina in the beginning as a "rivalry" game because both teams entered the SEC with the first expansion. I'm with you on the Championship game and could see that happening.

PonderinHog

Quote from: chitwnhog on March 24, 2014, 02:41:03 pm
Well...we had South Carolina in the beginning as a "rivalry" game because both teams entered the SEC with the first expansion. I'm with you on the Championship game and could see that happening.
Actually, it was Tennessee to begin with, IIRC.

redeye

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 24, 2014, 02:32:20 pm
Very indifferent about it, just another game that will be the most important game of the season that week.  Really wish we could still have LSU in that spot. 

In my opinion, there is little to gain by beating Mizzou as far as improving national respect and image. You beat LSU and people talk about it.  Mizzou isn't a bad game, it's just not noteworthy.  Mizzou on the other hand should be thrilled at replacing a dreadful KU with a respectable program like Arkansas.

But we still play LSU.  The only difference will be the date.

Lot's of SEC schools have rivals in the other division and I can't recall a single instance of the refs giving preferential treatment to prevent a rematch.

RebelAt

Between South Carolina and Mizzou, I suppose I'm more interested in the Columbia in Missouri.  Then again, I live there, and it'll be nothing but irritation for 364 days if and when likely lose (I expect we won't win this year).  That, however, is another reason why a rivalry could really flourish between Arkansas and Missouri, versus the "one" between Arkansas and South Carolina.  You have a lot of fans interacting with each other on a daily basis, something that wasn't happening before with the Gamecocks.  I do wish we still kept the LSU game on Black Friday, that would be my ultimate preference.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 23, 2014, 08:57:53 pm

That cannot be accurate.  Missouri has a really poor football history.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 24, 2014, 11:00:21 am
Arkansas doesn't have any real football rivalries. People who feel LSU was a legitimate rivalry are kidding themselves. If you want to see a real rivalry, pay attention to Michigan and Ohio State. If you're the coach at Michigan and you cannot beat Ohio State, you get fired - period. Arkansas has no rivalries like that and hopefully we can build one with Missouri. Games pike that are good for football.

Also, don't expect a win this year. For some reason people around here like to think Missouri isn't any good, but if you've paid ANY attention to their program over the last 5 or 6 years, you would see that they are going to be a very good team. They benefitted greatly from joining the SEC. I could see them competing for the SEC East last year and called it while everyone seemed to think they'd be the red headed step child of the SEC.

If you can't beat the Citadel.....
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 24, 2014, 04:52:16 pm
That cannot be accurate.  Missouri has a really poor football history.
It is. All schools have losing records to some lesser programs. Heck memphis, duke, and kentucky got winning records over arkansas

hoglady

I anticipate I will still be mad come November that we aren't playing LSU that weekend.
Watch the hype the SEC gives A&M and LSU / and compare it to the exposure we'll get. It'll be like night and day.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 24, 2014, 11:00:21 am

From 1943 through 1980, a span of 37 years, Arkansas and Oklahoma State played almost every year, 32 of those 37 years in fact. Arkansas owns that series to the tune of 22-9-1.

Now there isn't any doubt that Oklahoma State is a vastly different team now, from what they typically were at that time. But if you want a regional rivalry and one that doesn't count against SEC Won-Loss, it would be difficult to do better than scheduling Okla State every year. The campuses are within 3 to 3-1/2 hours of one another, fan bases would travel well to either venue (Arkansas fans would choose to commute to Stillwater and stay in Tulsa overnight, because who wants to spend the night in Stoolwater?).

And, I think it would be not only an exciting game every year, but we would have a rivalry developed pretty quickly, though Okla State naturally embraces OU as THE rival and just thinks that Texas is their secondary rival (take note, OSU is the only one who thinks this).

I think this would be a better rivalry than any we could ever have with Missouri. A rival doesn't have to be in your conference and in fact, sometimes it serves you better that they aren't.
Go Hogs Go!

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 24, 2014, 05:40:43 pm
From 1943 through 1980, a span of 37 years, Arkansas and Oklahoma State played almost every year, 32 of those 37 years in fact. Arkansas owns that series to the tune of 22-9-1.

Now there isn't any doubt that Oklahoma State is a vastly different team now, from what they typically were at that time. But if you want a regional rivalry and one that doesn't count against SEC Won-Loss, it would be difficult to do better than scheduling Okla State every year. The campuses are within 3 to 3-1/2 hours of one another, fan bases would travel well to either venue (Arkansas fans would choose to commute to Stillwater and stay in Tulsa overnight, because who wants to spend the night in Stoolwater?).

And, I think it would be not only an exciting game every year, but we would have a rivalry developed pretty quickly, though Okla State naturally embraces OU as THE rival and just thinks that Texas is their secondary rival (take note, OSU is the only one who thinks this).

I think this would be a better rivalry than any we could ever have with Missouri. A rival doesn't have to be in your conference and in fact, sometimes it serves you better that they aren't.

That I can totally agree with a H and H series with Okie Light would a great one and beneficial to each school.
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SSJ on March 24, 2014, 06:38:17 pm
That I can totally agree with a H and H series with Okie Light would a great one and beneficial to each school.

We agree? Who would have thought it could happen? There is hope for the world. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 24, 2014, 06:44:46 pm
We agree? Who would have thought it could happen? There is hope for the world. ;)

Yep It happens, but the bombers are still on stand by  ;) Have a good evening MHF, I have a date with Stella...
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Pigsknuckles

I have touted renewing the OSU series here for some time, and have been soundly thrashed for it. Still, I think it is a great match up with more rivalry possibilities than Mizzou. Besides, I still have Tony Temple flashbacks from the 2008 Cotton Bowl.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

BluegrassRazorback

March 24, 2014, 07:00:59 pm #39 Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:12:41 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm
With mizzou's finish last year, how much anticipation is there with this new rivalry? Even more important, how do you think the razorbacks will do in the upcoming game?

Yawn

Maybe in 10 years it will have enough history to mean Something

SEC network will hype it and puff it

Everyone knows its a meaningless game with no history or impact on the SEC nor the national bowl  pecking order

It is a dangerous game for Ark - you lose to Mizzou and you're diminished - you beat Mizzou and you should have

For now it's a meaningless game - maybe in time it will pass Mizzou vs Kansaw in national and conference stature

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SSJ on March 24, 2014, 06:48:39 pm
Yep It happens, but the bombers are still on stand by  ;) Have a good evening MHF, I have a date with Stella...

"Stella" is lucky to have you, SSJ and by the way, thanks for your service. I too served, long ago. Best eats for the Army in Europe, Templehof Air Base, West Berlin. Heck of a lot better than what the Army gave us. I made many weekend trips to Templehof for meals. The Air Force ate like dignitaries. The Army, shiite on a shingle with a couple of eggs and dry biscuits was about the best they could do.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFanatic

If we are going out of conference and playing what ifs, give me Texas over OSU. With Strong at the helm there would be actual consideration for the game too.

Besides, I want no part of Gundy. He's a man. He's 40.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 24, 2014, 07:00:59 pm
Yawn

Maybe in 10 years it will have enough history to mean Something

SEC network will hype it and puff it

Everyone knows its a meaningless game with no history or impact on the SEC nor the national bowl  pecking order

It is a dangerous game for Ark - you lose to Mizzou and you're diminished - you beat Mizzou and you should have

For now it's a meaningless game - maybe in time it will pass Mizzou vs Kansaw in national and conference stature

Should have?  We have a losing record against them already. They weren't the doormat of the big 12 when they were in it.  They went to the SEC championship game in its 2nd year in the league.  We just went winless in the conference for the first time.

Missouri isn't going to be a team that we are just going to walk over year in and year out.  Right now that team is us. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 24, 2014, 07:11:02 pm
If we are going out of conference and playing what ifs, give me Texas over OSU. With Strong at the helm there would be actual consideration for the game too.

Besides, I want no part of Gundy. He's a man. He's 40.

I still think that Okla State would be a better "regional" rival. I understand the thought process with Texas and even the value to recruiting in Texas, but we make more money by having a close regional rival like OSU than any other. Besides, Texas is always going to view Oklahoma or A&M as their rival, Arkansas would have to take second or third place. OSU-Arkansas could actually re-develop into a significant and competive regional rivalry.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFanatic

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 24, 2014, 07:01:49 pm
"Stella" is lucky to have you, SSJ and by the way, thanks for your service. I too served, long ago. Best eats for the Army in Europe, Templehof Air Base, West Berlin. Heck of a lot better than what the Army gave us. I made many weekend trips to Templehof for meals. The Air Force ate like dignitaries. The Army, shiite on a shingle with a couple of eggs and dry biscuits was about the best they could do.

I've always said that if I had to do it over again I would join the Air Force.
While I was stationed at Schofield Barracks we used to drive down to Hickam Air Base regularly to eat steak and lobster for lunch.

Incredible the way the airmen were treated compared to the rest of us ishbags. Haha

BluegrassRazorback

March 24, 2014, 07:42:05 pm #45 Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:08:36 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Y
Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 24, 2014, 07:16:05 pm
Should have?  We have a losing record against them already. They weren't the doormat of the big 12 when they were in it.  They went to the SEC championship game in its 2nd year in the league.  We just went winless in the conference for the first time.

Missouri isn't going to be a team that we are just going to walk over year in and year out.  Right now that team is us. 

I'm sure the nation will be waiting breathlessly for that Mizzou vs Ark Score

Just like they waited and celebrated the titanic Mizzou vs Kansaw battle

Ark has significant more history and branding than Mizzou - cling them a rivial diminishes Ark despite Ark troubles and Mizzou's recent success

Bottom line - the SEC front office voted us and Mizzou as the two homely geeks that deserve each other - is embarrassing -

Two ultra small market teams who no one will give a rats butt how they do - its a laugher

Maybe Ark can extricate herself fro this homely date by beating them so badly that it's a laugher be ause the SEC wanted it to be a Rivial

My fear is the SEC front office is right - we deserve each other and we are doomed  to ESPN3 on Thanksgiving weekend -  playing for Golden dentures of the Ozarks

Forgive my passion on this - my friends in marketing at a national beverage company showed me the projected TV sets vs what we lost vs LSU on the same weekend

It projects to be Something like Ark vs MSU - which btw: Is the lowest rated TV game in the SEC 5 years running -

So TY  Mr Slive and your clowns - Ark is the only program that gave up its highest rated Game for ''The good of the conference''

Maybe after a whileIll have a better attitude - I just don't like pretending this is a good thing - right now it's not

Maybe In Time the game will mean Somthing and Ill have a better attitude

If it does get better ill admit it and embrace it

I'm not looking fir a fight just pissed at how it turned out fir Ark

Right now if Mike Slive and his clowns were on fire I wouldn't pee on them to put them out

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 24, 2014, 07:42:05 pm
Y
I'm sure the nation will be waiting breathlessly for that Mizzou vs Ark Score

Just like they waited and celebrated the titanic Mizzou vs Kansaw battle

Ark has significant more history and branding than Mizzou - cling them a rivial diminishes Ark despite Ark troubles and Mizzou's recent success

Bottom line - the SEC front office voted us and Mizzou as the two homely geeks that deserve each other - is embarrassing -

Two ultra small market teams who no one will give a rats butt how they do - its a laugher

Maybe Ark can extricate herself fro this homely date by beating them so badly that it's a laugher be ause the SEC wanted it to be a Rivial

My fear is the SEC front office is right - we deserve each other and we are doomed  to ESPN3 on Thanksgiving weekend -  playing for Golden dentures of the Ozarks

Forgive my passion on this - my friends in marketing at a national beverage company showed me the projected TV sets vs what we lost vs LSU on the same weekend

It projects to be Something like Ark vs MSU - which btw: Is the lowest rated TV game in the SEC 5 years running -

So TY  Mr Slive and your clowns - Ark is the only program that gave up its highest rated Game for ''The good of the conference''

Maybe after a whileIll have a better attitude

OK...that's funny stuff right there.   ;D

Since there was a ZERO percent chance that I was going back a third time to Baton Rouge to see us play LSU, it's not that big of a deal.  I'm far more likely to travel to see us play Mizzou, and I'm sure we'll have a decent contingent of fans go to the game. 

If it's a back and forth series with games that mean something, then there's a better chance of a rivalry developing with Mizzou than any other SEC school.  Why?  Because all of them already have rivalries in place.  I know people are going to rip on Mizzou, but the truth is that Columbia is a good college town when compared to many others in the SEC, and I think our fans will enjoy going there to watch games. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 24, 2014, 08:10:16 pm
OK...that's funny stuff right there.   ;D

Since there was a ZERO percent chance that I was going back a third time to Baton Rouge to see us play LSU, it's not that big of a deal.  I'm far more likely to travel to see us play Mizzou, and I'm sure we'll have a decent contingent of fans go to the game. 

If it's a back and forth series with games that mean something, then there's a better chance of a rivalry developing with Mizzou than any other SEC school.  Why?  Because all of them already have rivalries in place.  I know people are going to rip on Mizzou, but the truth is that Columbia is a good college town when compared to many others in the SEC, and I think our fans will enjoy going there to watch games. 

Now - I need to adopt your attitude

My Inlaws are Mizzou Alumni

Make sure you wear long underwear in Columbia - is not perfect weather there in November - dress warm

If Kansaw ever gets free to renew games with Mizzou they will drop us like a rock - but maybe it doesn't matter

The whole reason Ark is in this mess is because we under performed

So maybe we deserve the ugly date with a great personality that Mommy Slive set us up with

We haven't done our part by winning

BOAR_N2BWILD

I for one am not excited at all about the forced rivalry. That is almost like an arranged marriage or something.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 23, 2014, 05:43:20 pm

Even though this is a yawner of a game right now

Let's have some fun with it

What would you call it?

The ''Tussle in BugTussle Mo''?

The ''Ozark Mnt Hoe Down''

The fight for the Ozark Outhouse - with a golden outhouse trophy complete with half moon window on the door and brass corncob plaque with name and score of the winner

The Battle for the ''Golden Dentures''. Or the '' Golden Tooth Brush''

How about a Mason Jar of White Light'en (with a golden Jar kid of course

Or the Fight for the ''Squeeze'n Still'' now it could be polished copper with brass mason jar plaques to engrave the winner score and year

How about the ''New Pair of Shoes''? (we could bronze some farm work boots for a trophy''

We could give the ''Mike Slive Kiss'en Cousin and shotgun wedding Trophy '' 

Anyone else got some ideas?