Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strength and conditioning

Started by CallThemHawgs!, March 23, 2014, 12:56:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThemHawgs!

It has been mentioned before, but it needs to be mentioned again.

Who is in charge, and why has he not been fired?

If its a culture, change it. If its the coach, fire him. We need to make boys into MEN. We look like children compared to a lot of these teams in the tourney.

Iowa State, Memphis, Florida, etc etc all have MEN. We have Ky Madden, all 136 sopping wet pounds of him. Aint gonna cut it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

-Blu

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 12:56:56 am
It has been mentioned before, but it needs to be mentioned again.

Who is in charge, and why has he not been fired?

If its a culture, change it. If its the coach, fire him. We need to make boys into MEN. We look like children compared to a lot of these teams in the tourney.

Iowa State, Memphis, Florida, etc etc all have MEN. We have Ky Madden, all 136 sopping wet pounds of him. Aint gonna cut it.

LOL, we got one of the best in the business... Coach Deets

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30747&SPID=2421&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205316892&Q_SEASON=2013

"A perfect example of Deets' work can be seen in sophomore Jacorey Williams who has added nearly 30 pounds between his high school graduation and the start of his second season. Since the summer, freshman Bobby Portis has added 20 pounds while classmate and fellow top 50 recruit Moses Kingsley has add 17."

And there probably aren't but a small handful of guys that are a big as Patrick Young.  Most of that is just genetics.  You don't have to be that big to be a good basketball player.  You look at guys like Michael Qualls, Alandise Harris, Coty Clarke, Fred Gulley, and even Ant Bell, they are all pretty "cut up".  But, I'm about to get off this subject of discussing how muscular 19 and 20 year old men are, as a straight man, it's getting a little uncomfortable the more I type.

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on March 23, 2014, 01:08:12 am

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30747&SPID=2421&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205316892&Q_SEASON=2013

"A perfect example of Deets' work can be seen in sophomore Jacorey Williams who has added nearly 30 pounds between his high school graduation and the start of his second season. Since the summer, freshman Bobby Portis has added 20 pounds while classmate and fellow top 50 recruit Moses Kingsley has add 17."

And there probably aren't but a small handful of guys that are a big as Patrick Young.  Most of that is just genetics.  You don't have to be that big to be a good basketball player.  You look at guys like Michael Qualls, Alandise Harris, Coty Clarke, Fred Gulley, and even Ant Bell, they are all pretty "cut up".  But, I'm about to get off this subject of discussing how muscular 19 and 20 year old men are, as a straight man, it's getting a little uncomfortable the more I type.

MA hater digging up a random, ageless argument. Another Saturday night in Jump Ball.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 12:59:29 am
No thanks.

If he is the best we got, hang up the cleats.

Sorry.

While I'm at it, this "sorry" trend when someone holds a polarizing view is really dumb. I mean, do they seriously believe they have some profound impact on the emotional well-being of the poster on the other side?

Pigasaurus

Fight in the dog, not just the dog in the fight  Patrick Ewing was a BEAST as a freshman at Georgetown.
All 7ft tall, 220 lbs of him.  Corliss was 6'5 and a half inch.   Barkley led NBA in rebounds at 6'4.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

98hogs

Quote from: -Blu on March 23, 2014, 01:08:12 am

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30747&SPID=2421&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205316892&Q_SEASON=2013. I wouldn't be bragging on Jacori

And there probably aren't but a small handful of guys that are a big as Patrick Young.  Most of that is just genetics.  You don't have to be that big to be a good basketball player.  You look at guys like Michael Qualls, Alandise Harris, Coty Clarke, Fred Gulley, and even Ant Bell, they are all pretty "cut up".  But, I'm about to get off this subject of discussing how muscular 19 and 20 year old men are, as a straight man, it's getting a little uncomfortable the more I type.h
. I wouldn't be bragging on Williams

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: pigasaurus on March 23, 2014, 02:17:34 am
Fight in the dog, not just the dog in the fight  Patrick Ewing was a BEAST as a freshman at Georgetown.
All 7ft tall, 220 lbs of him.  Corliss was 6'5 and a half inch.   Barkley led NBA in rebounds at 6'4.

And I think sometimes the fight in the dog is directly correlated to their performance in the weight room. Or even activities outside of it.

Did anyone on this team seem like they wanted to get a rebound or they would die trying? Coty Clarke, a few times maybe.

I know a lot of it is indeed genetics, and if thats the case.... lets go get some men

Not a hater, and I hope MA does well here. But its pretty obvious we have a ways to go.

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2014, 01:19:02 am
While I'm at it, this "sorry" trend when someone holds a polarizing view is really dumb. I mean, do they seriously believe they have some profound impact on the emotional well-being of the poster on the other side?

Its kind of a "hate to break it to you" type thing. Surprised you would not understand, you seem to be decently intelligent at times Breems. 

-Blu

Quote from: 98hogs on March 23, 2014, 07:07:08 am
. I wouldn't be bragging on Williams

That was quoted from arkansasrazorbacks.com, and if I put on 30 pounds of muscle on someone in 1 year, I'd definitely put that in my resume if I was a strength and conditioning coach.  Did you not see how small Williams was when he stepped on campus?

ricepig

Need to hire the guy at Kentucky, Randle was a beast, oh wait, he showed up that way. It helps when the guys coming in have the frames and genetic make-up to put the weight on. Now Madden, he still has twigs for legs.

hogfan14

If it were the strength program then everyone would look that way...you cant just pick one that fits your argument

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogfan14 on March 23, 2014, 10:48:06 am
If it were the strength program then everyone would look that way...you cant just pick one that fits your argument

Ok, then I should say in large most of our guys are smaller than other guys...

Is that general enough?

-Blu

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 11:29:09 am
Ok, then I should say in large most of our guys are smaller than other guys...

Is that general enough?

Who is smaller on our team besides Madden and Kikko?  Wagner is only like 5'8 and he's pretty bulky and "big" for his size.   Sounds like your just looking for stuff to complain about.  I don't think anyone has ever said "Man, look how much smaller Arkansas is than the other team."  I've yet to here a broadcaster, expert, analyst, newscaster, weatherman, or just a casual fan in general say that.  Your the only person saying that, if your trying to say our whole team is small based on how big Patrick Young is, then your going to be going through the entire NCAA.  I watch all teams in college B-Ball and only guys that are as big and bigger is probably Montrell Harrell on Louisville, Maymon and Stokes on Tennessee, Patrick O'Bryant, and that kid with the googles on WV.  Other than that our big men, Portis/Kingsley/Harris/Clarke are all about normal size when comparing muscle to other teams.  And Portis and Kingsley will be a lot bigger next year.

CDBHawg

So much fail in this thread. Our two bigs are freshmen. They'll get bigger. And we have the two below plus more. We're okay.

[attachment deleted by admin]

onebadrubi

Clarke has become a muscular beast, just look at him late in games.  It's not our s&c coach, it's the style of players we are recruiting.  And it's working.

jry04

This may be the dumbest thread started on Hogville. Did you guys see the amount of size Mickelson put on in his short time he was here?

Players have different physiques. You can workout and diet all you want, but we are not going to make Portis look like Young. Young was a beast before he even made it to Florida.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/lists/Top_10_recruits_in_July1#photo-title=Patric+Young&photo=9826202

Madden has put on 15+ lbs since getting to Arkansas.

Qualls has added 15-20 lbs since he arrived.

Smithian

This thread is ridiculous. I watched the Grizzlies and Pacers play last night and a lot of their players don't look like Patric Young, should their strength people be fired?

This isn't football where you want every player to become bulked up. Just by looking at players like Williams, Qualls, and Bell you can tell they have been in an SEC fitness program for a full couple seasons.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Smithian on March 23, 2014, 12:38:17 pm
This thread is ridiculous. I watched the Grizzlies and Pacers play last night and a lot of their players don't look like Patric Young, should their strength people be fired?

This isn't football where you want every player to become bulked up. Just by looking at players like Williams, Qualls, and Bell you can tell they have been in an SEC fitness program for a full couple seasons.

Ok. So their front line is built like Harris, and we have.... Harris.

That will get us to the Elite 8

Im just saying we need some bulk. Whether we recruit it, or build it. a

ricepig

We don't need two more Harris's, we don't get that many possessions a game.

PonderinHog

Dwight Howard ain't walkin' through that door.  I wish he was, but I just don't see it happening next year.  Then again, maybe BP and MK will fill out. 

RazorPiggie

I'm going to agree with Poodle on this. Been saying it for awhile.

CDBHawg

CDBHawg

Florida has 2 guys 230lbs and heavier. We have four.

We have strength.

jry04

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 01:02:30 pm
Ok. So their front line is built like Harris, and we have.... Harris.

That will get us to the Elite 8

Im just saying we need some bulk. Whether we recruit it, or build it. a
We need basketball players. You don't have to be muscular to be good. Andrew Wiggins is skinnier than Ky Madden. He is a top 5 pick. Kevin Durant was about 190lbs, and could only bench press 185 lbs like 4 times in college. I think he was a pretty good player. It is extremely stupid to say we need to fire our strength and conditioning coach because we don't have guys who were already big coming out of high school like Patric Young. Young had 10 pts 7 rebounds against us. Portis had 14 pts 7 rebounds against him. Clarke had 16 points 14 rebounds.

Jarnell Stokes is 1 of three players in the country who averages a double double. He is built like a truck. He had 7 points and 6 rebounds in a home game against us. Clarke had 16 points and 9 rebounds. I guess our guys can hold their own against some of these beefed up guys you keep mentioning. We need better guard play, not bigger arms.

Beaverfever

It's funny you mention Madden specifically.  He is one of the only guys on our team that I think looks and plays like a man.  He's got a lot of flaws in his game but I don't think size/strength is one.  MA guards are probably always going to be a little scrawnier than your prototypical NBA body guards like UK has. 

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: jry04 on March 23, 2014, 02:18:15 pm
We need basketball players. You don't have to be muscular to be good. Andrew Wiggins is skinnier than Ky Madden. He is a top 5 pick. Kevin Durant was about 190lbs, and could only bench press 185 lbs like 4 times in college. I think he was a pretty good player. It is extremely stupid to say we need to fire our strength and conditioning coach because we don't have guys who were already big coming out of high school like Patric Young. Young had 10 pts 7 rebounds against us. Portis had 14 pts 7 rebounds against him. Clarke had 16 points 14 rebounds.

Jarnell Stokes is 1 of three players in the country who averages a double double. He is built like a truck. He had 7 points and 6 rebounds in a home game against us. Clarke had 16 points and 9 rebounds. I guess our guys can hold their own against some of these beefed up guys you keep mentioning. We need better guard play, not bigger arms.

Andrew Wiggins got shut down today, not a factor. And he is an exception. For our style, we would benefit from having built guys who could hold their own without needing a huge size advantage.

Beaverfever

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 02:30:41 pm
Andrew Wiggins got shut down today, not a factor. And he is an exception. For our style, we would benefit from having built guys who could hold their own without needing a huge size advantage.
I think you'll be waiting.  MA will choose athleticism over size 9 times out of 10.  We can't recruit against the big dogs of college basketball (yet at least) so when MA is picking his roster out of the rest he tries to get the players with the best mix of athleticism and shooting he can get.  I think he'll pass on guys with prototypical size and skillsets with average athleticism and average shots.  Obviously it'd be nice if we could eventually recruit with the basketball elite and get players that have it all. 

ricepig

Abron's had a big time body, fwiw.

CDBHawg

Which built guys do you suggest?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 23, 2014, 03:43:10 pm
Which built guys do you suggest?

What do you mean? Are you wanting me to go help MA recruit?

CDBHawg

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 05:27:48 pm
What do you mean? Are you wanting me to go help MA recruit?

No, I'm wanting you to suggest an answer to your proposed problem.

Which in reality, isn't even a problem. A little research would show that.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: jry04 on March 23, 2014, 02:18:15 pm

Wiggins outweighs Madden by 20 lbs. Madden has no idea what a weight bench looks like.

Breems

We need more 7'6 550lb. world-eaters.

You know what's funny about this thread?

Chiseled stud Patrick Young (SENIOR):

"Child" Bobby Portis (FRESHMAN):

RazorPiggie

Our big men are decent size but we needed a couple guards that are 200+. Like Brown and Ross from Mizzou and VanFleet from WSU.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2014, 05:58:03 pm
We need more 7'6 550lb. world-eaters.

You know what's funny about this thread?

Chiseled stud Patrick Young (SENIOR):

"Child" Bobby Portis (FRESHMAN):

Ok, and Portis will be an NBA player. Young wont be.

Pat Young is a center piece on a GREAT team, Arkansas is sitting at home.

Iowa State went beast today on UNC, and they were undersized.

Kane, case in point. We need muscle.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 23, 2014, 05:50:16 pm
No, I'm wanting you to suggest an answer to your proposed problem.

Which in reality, isn't even a problem. A little research would show that.

Sure, maybe its not a problem.

Go look at all the teams going deep in this tournament.

They all have MEN. Big guys, whether guards, forwards, or C.

If its not a problem, maybe it should be highlighted as one.

onebadrubi

March 23, 2014, 07:10:29 pm #35 Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:41:05 pm by onebadrubi
Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 07:02:48 pm

Kane would start on any team in the nation just about. He's a top 20-25 player in the nation

OnTheHillHogFan

Kane will be 25 in less than 3 months.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Iceman

Young will be a backup NBA center.

CDBHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 23, 2014, 05:57:38 pm
Wiggins outweighs Madden by 20 lbs. Madden has no idea what a weight bench looks like.

He's also three inches taller.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 23, 2014, 07:10:29 pm
Lame would start on any team in the nation just about. He's a top 20-25 player in the nation

And your point is?

Like I said, look at all the teams who are advancing. They have MEN.

If they dont, they are insanely long and athletic. And have at least ONE mean looking MOFO.

CDBHawg

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 07:07:40 pm
Sure, maybe its not a problem.

Go look at all the teams going deep in this tournament.

They all have MEN. Big guys, whether guards, forwards, or C.

If its not a problem, maybe it should be highlighted as one.

We have big men. The biggest? No.

But we are not as under-muscled as you're letting on we are. Now if you want to debate talent, you have an argument. But saying firing our S&C coach would give us some "men" is off base.

CDBHawg

6-9 240 guys in the NCAAT - mean looking big "men".

6-9 240 guys in the NIT - not so much.

That's what I'm reading in this thread.

CallThemHawgs!

Anyway, like I said... for the most part we are weak.

Look at Rico Gathers .... BEAST

Yall just keep denying, we will keep missing the tourney.

CDBHawg

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 07:35:18 pm
Anyway, like I said... for the most part we are weak.

Look at Rico Gathers .... BEAST

Yall just keep denying, we will keep missing the tourney.

Lol.

You mean 6.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg Rico Gathers.

He's bigger than anybody we have. Would you really replace one our bigs with him?

Portis? Kingsley? Clarke? Harris?

jry04

Andrew Wiggins had a bad game, like everyone. Lebron James has scored single digits. You think he needs to gain weight?

It really is amusing how stupid our fan base is. Picking and choosing players to support your argument in this case is hilarious. Most coaches will tell you that they don't want to bulk their players up. Every expert who watches our games says we need better guard play. We need that one guy who can run the offense. We have a SG running our offense. We do not need bigger players, we need more talented players. This is such a silly argument for anyone with a basketball IQ that it is not really worth talking about anymore.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 23, 2014, 07:43:16 pm
Lol.

You mean 6.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg Rico Gathers.

He's bigger than anybody we have. Would you really replace one our bigs with him?

Portis? Kingsley? Clarke? Harris?

Sure, I will take Rico over Harris 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

CallThemHawgs!

Now, Harris develops a decent shot and learns how to pass the ball, and I will take them both.

K, thanks

jry04

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 23, 2014, 05:57:38 pm
Wiggins is also 3 or 4 inches taller.

http://www.gq.com/sports/entertainment/sports/201311/andrew-wiggins-nba-draft-kansas-jayhawks#slide=1

Yeah, he is built like a truck, isn't he?

Malik Monk will be a top 10 player coming out of high school. He has offers from all of the top programs. He is smaller than Madden. We better not recruit him. He won't amount to anything because he is too skinny.

Anthony Davis is terrible, too. He is as skinny as a rail. He will just get pushed around in the NBA, right? Oh wait, he averages 21 points, 10 reb, 3 blocks, and is quickly becoming the best center in the game.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: jry04 on March 23, 2014, 07:53:47 pm
Wiggins is also 3 or 4 inches taller.

http://www.gq.com/sports/entertainment/sports/201311/andrew-wiggins-nba-draft-kansas-jayhawks#slide=1

Yeah, he is built like a truck, isn't he?

Malik Monk will be a top 10 player coming out of high school. He has offers from all of the top programs. He is smaller than Madden. We better not recruit him. He won't amount to anything because he is too skinny.

Anthony Davis is terrible, too. He is as skinny as a rail. He will just get pushed around in the NBA, right? Oh wait, he averages 21 points, 10 reb, 3 blocks, and is quickly becoming the best center in the game.

Dude, some long skinny guys can ball. Im not saying they cant.

I am saying that for our style of play and in the SEC we would be well suited to recruit some big boys and put some muscle on the guys we have.

Is this really difficult to comprehend?

CDBHawg

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 07:51:49 pm
Now, Harris develops a decent shot and learns how to pass the ball, and I will take them both.

K, thanks

Pretty much the same player.

Gathers has a little better FG%. Harris shoots better from the line.