Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen-one might want to be on the right side of Hog history.

Started by JIHawg, March 22, 2014, 10:39:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Brandon Allen can do the Job we just don't need him having any more weird injuries falling into the end zone.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2014, 02:39:41 pm
The problem is you did not see the pass. It was a throw over the middle to a receiver on a crossing route. When the ball was released there weren't three guys around the receiver. They converged on the ball. By the time it reached the receiver (Demetrius Wilson as I recall) I saw it whistle past two pair of reaching hands and right into the hands of the receiver.

There is a fine line between a great pass and a dumb decision. Last year it would have been a bad decision for any quarterback on this team to throw that pass. It's not a bad decision if you have confidence that you can get the ball there and the receiver will catch it.

Unfortunately it is true I didn't see the pass. Is there any possibility we could trade places? I promise you being a proctologist is not as bad as some say!  ;D

You have been around long enough to know a good decision versus a bad one, so I will take your word for it. Now you guys (media) have access for the remainder of Spring? I hoping to hear about more consistency out of our younger QBs.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 04, 2014, 02:44:56 pm
Brandon Allen can do the Job we just don't need him having any more weird injuries falling into the end zone.

That was the strangest injury. Looked like a typical dive into the zone.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Mike Irwin

Quote from: locusbug on April 04, 2014, 02:46:19 pm
Unfortunately it is true I didn't see the pass. Is there any possibility we could trade places? I promise you being a proctologist is not as bad as some say!  ;D

You have been around long enough to know a good decision versus a bad one, so I will take your word for it. Now you guys (media) have access for the remainder of Spring? I hoping to hear about more consistency out of our younger QBs.
Tomorrow you can see for yourself. The scrimmage is open and one scrimmage is worth ten practices where there's no tackling. Of course one game is worth about ten scrimmages in evaluating players.

That's the real problem with this thread. We can beat the keyboards till our fingers bleed but workouts don't always give a true picture of what a player is going to do in a game.
But it's all we've got right now.

Steef

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2014, 02:31:09 pm
I try to be polite on this board. It starts with posting under my own name. It's amazing when you do that how it changes your approach to other people and what they believe.

One thing I know without question. I am not a sunshine pumper. I've put my job on the line more than once over the years putting what I know and what I believe based on what I see out in front of the public.

You can post that nonsense. I can't stop you. I can say that you weren't there yesterday and I was. If Derby had looked like crap I would have said so. If Rafe Peavey would have looked like an all world freshman QB I would have said so.

I don't have an agenda. I don't come up with theories and look for examples that will back those theories up. I just go to work every day and pass along what happens.

Nobody is trying to pump up Derby but I'm not going to get on this board and badmouth the kid when he had a good practice just because a lot of people here want him to go away.

He's not going the be the starter. If Brandon Allen gets hurt next season, based on what I saw, Austin will be the first guy in. Truthfully though, just going on yesterday's practice, Derby and Brandon Allen looked the best. Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey were slightly behind them. That's my opinion and I post it with no thought of pumping anybody up or giving them false hopes.

Good reports, Mike. It could also be true that AJ practices well but gets the yips in games.  Some of his goofiest plays  last year looked like yips.

Just a guess.

bphi11ips

We have some good QBs.  They finally have the same staff two years running.

Brandon Allen was Rivals' 5th ranked pro-style QB in 2011.

A.J. Derby was Rivals' number one player in Iowa in 2010.  He had offers from Alabama, Florida State and Michigan, among the many.  He looked more like a QB in his high school highlights than he did last year.  What's most impressive if you watch those highlights is his athleticism.  Maybe as a senior he'll surprise some people.

Austin Allen's high school highlights show a fundamentally sound QB.  He had offers from Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Tennessee.

Rafe Peavey was a 4 star 5.8 QB with offers from Auburn, Baylor, USC and UCLA.  He looked the part in the Under Armour game. 

Brandon and Rafe were early commits who worked hard to recruit others in their class.  Those guys wanted to be Razorbacks.  Ty Storey is doing the same.  Based on his high school film he will be the best of them all.

I think the Hogs are in good shape now at QB for years to come.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

grayhawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2014, 03:03:42 pm
Tomorrow you can see for yourself. The scrimmage is open and one scrimmage is worth ten practices where there's no tackling. Of course one game is worth about ten scrimmages in evaluating players.

That's the real problem with this thread. We can beat the keyboards till our fingers bleed but workouts don't always give a true picture of what a player is going to do in a game.
But it's all we've got right now.
I appreciate your reports Mike even if these yahoo's don't.

sportster365

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2014, 02:31:09 pm
I try to be polite on this board. It starts with posting under my own name. It's amazing when you do that how it changes your approach to other people and what they believe.

One thing I know without question. I am not a sunshine pumper. I've put my job on the line more than once over the years putting what I know and what I believe based on what I see out in front of the public.

You can post that nonsense. I can't stop you. I can say that you weren't there yesterday and I was. If Derby had looked like crap I would have said so. If Rafe Peavey would have looked like an all world freshman QB I would have said so.

I don't have an agenda. I don't come up with theories and look for examples that will back those theories up. I just go to work every day and pass along what happens.

Nobody is trying to pump up Derby but I'm not going to get on this board and badmouth the kid when he had a good practice just because a lot of people here want him to go away.

He's not going the be the starter. If Brandon Allen gets hurt next season, based on what I saw, Austin will be the first guy in. Truthfully though, just going on yesterday's practice, Derby and Brandon Allen looked the best. Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey were slightly behind them. That's my opinion and I post it with no thought of pumping anybody up or giving them false hopes.

Mike it's because of your approach and openness your work is valued and appreciated by Razorback fans not just on this board but across the state, I'm sure of it. In my last post I may have "overspoken" a bit and the sunshine pumping wasn't a direct shot at you. You're the furthest thing from it. The whole propaganda theme crossed my mind while I was listening to our new defensive coord. yesterday and some reports from other radio media guys who attended the practice. It all sounded so much like the same old talk we've heard for the past 3 offseasons, while following a 7-17 result over the past 2 seasons making it a little difficult to believe what you hear folks saying about the program these days.

And I'll be honest, my first thought of your evaluation of AJ Derby yesterday struck me as the same way some look at quantum physics, in people seeing what they want to believe. And as I was listening to you today speak on Derby, I sort of already knew where you were going with it. In that CBB may have saw the same thing in Derby last offseason that you saw yesterday. Which really supports what you've been saying throughout this entire thread in justifying CBB decision on Mitchell. Which may be a valid assessment, but a hard sell for anyone who followed the season closely last year.

ChitownHawg

Athog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on March 22, 2014, 11:15:19 pm
My prognostication says that BA can't be much worse than he was last year!

See ya

Now that is a Hog Fan!! Huh?

forrest city joe

I am just going to sit back and wait on real games before i make a judgment. if our coaches roll with B. Allen and Derby at 1/2 this year and it's like last year. then we are in trouble again. i will believe all the things i am hearing about Allen,Derby, Tevin Mitchell and the WR's when i see it in real games.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sportster365 on April 04, 2014, 04:36:21 pm
Mike it's because of your approach and openness your work is valued and appreciated by Razorback fans not just on this board but across the state, I'm sure of it. In my last post I may have "overspoken" a bit and the sunshine pumping wasn't a direct shot at you. You're the furthest thing from it. The whole propaganda theme crossed my mind while I was listening to our new defensive coord. yesterday and some reports from other radio media guys who attended the practice. It all sounded so much like the same old talk we've heard for the past 3 offseasons, while following a 7-17 result over the past 2 seasons making it a little difficult to believe what you hear folks saying about the program these days.

And I'll be honest, my first thought of your evaluation of AJ Derby yesterday struck me as the same way some look at quantum physics, in people seeing what they want to believe. And as I was listening to you today speak on Derby, I sort of already knew where you were going with it. In that CBB may have saw the same thing in Derby last offseason that you saw yesterday. Which really supports what you've been saying throughout this entire thread in justifying CBB decision on Mitchell. Which may be a valid assessment, but a hard sell for anyone who followed the season closely last year.
No problem. There's no body language on the Internet. It's not the first time I assumed somebody was taking a shot at me when they weren't.

My take on Derby from yesterday is simple. It's a lot easier to look good in front of your teammates and a few media types than 70,000 at a game.

Of course if he continues to look good the whole spring and into next fall maybe it would be a case of settling in in his second year here. Even so if I were Chaney I'd have to think twice before sticking him in.

For those of you hoping one of the younger QBs rises to the top this spring, all of them looked good except for Mitchell. His passes overall are not up to par with the others.

Peavey and Austin Allen looked so similar it was hard to tell them apart.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 04, 2014, 05:44:51 pm
I am just going to sit back and wait on real games before i make a judgment. if our coaches roll with B. Allen and Derby at 1/2 this year and it's like last year. then we are in trouble again. i will believe all the things i am hearing about Allen,Derby, Tevin Mitchell and the WR's when i see it in real games.

And that's all we can do Joe. We can see what we perceive as improvement in all of these kids in practice and scrimmages and while that is heartening to see and hear about, the only thing that really matters is how they play when the ball gets teed up on August 30th.

That being said, I have higher hopes for our Hogs this year than last.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 04, 2014, 06:31:06 pm

Peavey and Austin Allen looked so similar it was hard to tell them apart.

I almost said this today about their highschool highlights.  Brandon, too.  All three are very similar.  AA seemed to have a slight edge in mechanics. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

forrest city joe

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 04, 2014, 08:04:07 pm
And that's all we can do Joe. We can see what we perceive as improvement in all of these kids in practice and scrimmages and while that is heartening to see and hear about, the only thing that really matters is how they play when the ball gets teed up on August 30th.

That being said, I have higher hopes for our Hogs this year than last.
I 100% agree. i think this team will be better too.how much i have no idea.

Kevin

A scripted spring scrimmage were the qb cannot get hit is not very helpful in predicting what will happy once live play starts IMO
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Steef

Quote from: Kevin on April 05, 2014, 02:52:46 pm
A scripted spring scrimmage were the qb cannot get hit is not very helpful in predicting what will happy once live play starts IMO

That's true.

otho...no one has said that it would be. These early scrimmages are partly evaluation and partly entertainment. It's not an accident the public will be let in for the first time.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on April 05, 2014, 02:52:46 pm

It is what it is. Play live and hurt the QB then watch everyone complain how could CBB risk the QB in the Spring.

LZH

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 03:06:54 pm
It is what it is. Play live and hurt the QB then watch everyone complain how could CBB risk the QB in the Spring.

Who needs a reason to complain?

PonderinHog

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

LZH

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 03:35:12 pm
Is that a complaint?  ;D

Nah, I'm saving up my energy for a good name-calling session later.  You game?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 05, 2014, 04:31:12 pm
Nah, I'm saving up my energy for a good name-calling session later.  You game?

You cannot handle my game you sorry piece of &$@! I cannot believe a #^^€ like you is still around.

What cha got?  ;)

LZH

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 04:48:58 pm
You cannot handle my game you sorry piece of &$@! I cannot believe a #^^€ like you is still around.

What cha got?  ;)

Hey, no fair!.......I wasn't ready!

Mom, bug cheated!!!