Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen-one might want to be on the right side of Hog history.

Started by JIHawg, March 22, 2014, 10:39:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 23, 2014, 10:34:12 am
it all depends on how we get to that 6-7. If we're in most games and we see the defense make some big plays....yeah I'll be totally fine with it. But if we limp into it and get beaten by average OOC teams...I'll be pissed. I think this staff knows the amount of pressure they're under to improve the team. Now we just have to see the ceiling of both the staff and roster. ANYTHING is possible.

Good points.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 12:59:29 am
No thanks.

If he is the best we got, hang up the cleats.

Sorry.

Quote from: lrcentral on March 23, 2014, 01:19:23 am
Amen. BA is not a SEC Quarterback. Arkansas was struggling with Samford before BA went down. Move on to someone that gives us a chance. Seems like a good kid but just doesn't have SEC talent.

This is ridiculous. You actually believe you know more than CBP, CBB and Chaney when it comes to QB's... That's sooooo WAC..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

opineonswine

Yogi Berra accurately described our situation last year, "If you ain't got no animals, you ain't hardly got no circus."  Previous staff(s) did not properly recruit, for one QB's...for another WR's, for another play makers in the back 7 of the defense. 

That's probably not the only failure last year but it certainly was primary.  Apparently we also had deficiencies in the defensive coaching staff and that has been "changed" for this year.

New year....new hopes.  I believe we will be better but due to SOS we will probably still struggle to make a bowl unless the coaching staff can do a terrific job compensating for the holes that still exist.

Our football program was left in the ditch...there were many problems that have to be fixed.  I believe we will make progress toward rebuilding the program.

Lake City Hog

Opine, you are a stubborn cuss! With you it is always the players. I have posted several times the 12 year average team recruiting rankings for the University of Arkansas, #29. We have had a high of around 16 and a low of around 43, but the average for 12 years was number 29, just about exactly where this last class finished.

We have had basically the same talent level for the past 20 years. Every now and then we hit a good group that squirts us up a bit. We have always had to over-achieve and with some coaches we have and with others we haven't.

How many pro receivers have we had during the last 20 years? Quarterbacks? Running backs? It is not the talent, we had enough talent to win 6 games last year.
Rutgers, we went conservative in the 2nd half. Miss St, bad coaching decisions cost that game. LSU, we had that game won and our DC crapped the bed in the last minute of the game. So please give the players a bit of a break!

PonderinHog

#29 tries harder.  Go Hogs!   :razorback:

Locusbug, the Cubs don't stand a chance in hell.  Sorry to break it to you so soon.   ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 23, 2014, 01:04:42 pm
#29 tries harder.  Go Hogs!   :razorback:

Locusbug, the Cubs don't stand a chance in hell.  Sorry to break it to you so soon.   ;)

I am more partial to the Sox, but will root for any Chicago team now that I live here. My favorite acronym?

Completely Useless By September!  ;D  My Cub fan friends as loyal as any fans I have ever met. They know they root for a loser and don't care. I guess kind of like us?   ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

three hog night

Quote from: lchog on March 23, 2014, 01:01:10 pm
Opine, you are a stubborn cuss! With you it is always the players. I have posted several times the 12 year average team recruiting rankings for the University of Arkansas, #29. We have had a high of around 16 and a low of around 43, but the average for 12 years was number 29, just about exactly where this last class finished.

We have had basically the same talent level for the past 20 years. Every now and then we hit a good group that squirts us up a bit. We have always had to over-achieve and with some coaches we have and with others we haven't.

How many pro receivers have we had during the last 20 years? Quarterbacks? Running backs? It is not the talent, we had enough talent to win 6 games last year.
Rutgers, we went conservative in the 2nd half. Miss St, bad coaching decisions cost that game. LSU, we had that game won and our DC crapped the bed in the last minute of the game. So please give the players a bit of a break!

Classes are ranked based on signees.  The classes were big with tons of risks signed that never made it to campus or lasted a year only.  The problem is that we have a team based on upper classmen from 2010 and 2011 classes; which is based on the terrible retention level of players from 2010/2011. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

seasonhog

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 09:44:07 am
Wonder who's fault that was? We were the only school to take Derby as a QB that alone should tell you something. Also, why were they concerned with someone losing a redshirt? What are they holding it for? Better QB's coming in according to some of you so why not burn one?

The staff was not prepared that is all last year entailed.

Mitchell should have been the starting qb with Allen the backup last season.

farmhawg

Quote from: three hog night on March 23, 2014, 09:46:27 am
It is painfully clear you don't like Bielema....we get it. 
No, it's painfully clear that I hate to lose, especially when there is no reason for the loss. You guys want to make excuses for why......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

redeye

I think most knew that Allen would be the QB all along.  In fact, many of us feared it.

It's not about being on the right or wrong side of history.  We just have different opinions and that's it.  There is no right or wrong side of history here.

I hope Allen is 1st team All-SEC this year and I believe he has the talent to do it.  But I'm also skeptical he will do it, and I know that another season like last year for Allen, will mean another season like last year for our team.

ChitownHawg

Yep I knew we had lost the LSU game the minute Ash bit on the pass play.  ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 02:05:04 pm
No, it's painfully clear that I hate to lose, especially when there is no reason for the loss. You guys want to make excuses for why......

If you have not noticed - blaming the coaches is an excuse as well. Just sayin.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: seasonhog on March 23, 2014, 02:01:53 pm

Mitchell should have been the starting qb with Allen the backup last season.

And he may very well have been if he had stayed and competed for it.

HoopS

Quote from: locusbug on March 23, 2014, 02:08:58 pm
Yep I knew we had lost the LSU game the minute Ash bit on the pass play.  ;)
yep.  I'm sure Ash told both the cb and safety to bite on everything and not worry about getting beat deep.

That play was 100% a bad play by a player.   I agree that we had MSU but we had a huge fumble by a great player.  It happens.

Lake City Hog

No, what Ash did was to refuse to blitz a freshman QB on his own 2 yd line with the game on the line! With 2 of the SEC's best pass rushing defensive ends in the game!

NOOOO!!!!! it is so much easier to blame it on talent. Guys I want this staff to be successful just as bad as some of you because that means that the Hogs are successful. I said the same things about Ash while he was here so this isn't one of those blame the coach that just left posts!

Broadway Rob

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 23, 2014, 09:37:27 am
Only 2 stats matter. Wins and losses. Right now he's a loser (statistically). If he starts winning is games that we shouldn't win and pummeling teams we should beat...He'll earn his place in Arkansas history. Right now he's just a stop-gap until a talented qb arrives. He CAN change that this year. I won't say another thing about him until the day after the Auburn game. Just don't get caught up thinking a guy goes from bottom of the pack to record breaking qb. Especially with our schedule in the SEC.

So if a guy averages, say 300 yards, 2-3 TD's, and few picks per game for a season, but the team loses because the defense can't stop anyone, the QB has no talent?

Mmmm kay
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

HoopS

There's plenty of blame to go around.  Part of that is player accountability.  I played ball.  I made mistakes and didn't mind it being said that I made mistakes.  I'd hate to know folks blamed my coach for me doing something I knew better than to do.  Our secondary couldn't get beat deep. Do that, and LSU would have had to string together a long drive just to kick a tying FG.  Good grief I hope our secondary will learn from their mistakes.  I have faith they can.  But yes, I'm still going to look at that play as clearly being a player mistake.  That doesn't make me a bad person who is picking on kids.  I'm just being honest.  And they know what happened.   But we will need to agree to disagree as I've seen that whole thing too many times for you to convince me the player wasn't at fault there.  Hopefully we will learn lessons from last season.

opineonswine

All I had to read was first few lines. Where classes rank at signing tells only part of the story. What they were ranked at signing is one thing. Whether they make it to campus, flame out, quit, transfer, never pan out ...is the rest of the story. Petrino's last two classes seriously did NOT pan out.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: Broadway Rob on March 23, 2014, 03:54:44 pm
So if a guy averages, say 300 yards, 2-3 TD's, and few picks per game for a season, but the team loses because the defense can't stop anyone, the QB has no talent?

Mmmm kay

I didn't say...only two stats are indicators of talent.  I said only two matter. It's about winning.  Talent is all fine and dandy for the next level. Im worried about how many wins that guy adds to the team.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Steef

Quote from: HoopS on March 23, 2014, 03:55:31 pm
There's plenty of blame to go around.  Part of that is player accountability.  I played ball.  I made mistakes and didn't mind it being said that I made mistakes. I'd hate to know folks blamed my coach for me doing something I knew better than to do.  Our secondary couldn't get beat deep. Do that, and LSU would have had to string together a long drive just to kick a tying FG.  Good grief I hope our secondary will learn from their mistakes.  I have faith they can.  But yes, I'm still going to look at that play as clearly being a player mistake.  That doesn't make me a bad person who is picking on kids.  I'm just being honest.  And they know what happened.   But we will need to agree to disagree as I've seen that whole thing too many times for you to convince me the player wasn't at fault there.  Hopefully we will learn lessons from last season.

QFT

Especially the highlighted line.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: opineonswine on March 23, 2014, 03:55:49 pm
All I had to read was first few lines. Where classes rank at signing tells only part of the story. What they were ranked at signing is one thing. Whether they make it to campus, flame out, quit, transfer, never pan out ...is the rest of the story. Petrino's last two classes seriously did NOT pan out.

I would add does the class fill the holes in the roster. Hootie's classes could get a mid 20s range, but there were always holes in the roster.

DeltaBoy

Brandon Allen is the one we will win or lose with this Fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Deep Shoat

You always ignore two important facts when you try to make this point.  1, the previous several classes, while ranked in the same range, we're full of WRs and DEs but weak everywhere else.  And 2, we lost an entire recruiting class over three classes.
All Gas, No Brakes!

three hog night

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 02:05:04 pm

Nobody likes to lose, but reality has to be a part of the equation.  The problem is that we have a team based on upper classmen from weak 2010 and 2011 classes; which is also based on the terrible retention level of players from 2010/2011.  We have had terrible turnover from Petrino to Smile to Bielema; and all the scheme changes.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

sportster365

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 09:44:07 am
Wonder who's fault that was? We were the only school to take Derby as a QB that alone should tell you something. Also, why were they concerned with someone losing a redshirt? What are they holding it for? Better QB's coming in according to some of you so why not burn one?

The staff was not prepared that is all last year entailed.

I agree they weren't and very well should have been. As stated in his interview with Jim Harris, CBB knew Arkansas was thin at QB when he got here...  http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-bret-bielema-gives-backup-nod-to-transfer-aj-derby/ .... yet he still decided to suggest it to a 4 year Razorback to leave. Not only that he moves Bruehner to receiver and allows Taylor Reed to transfer as well, to settle for his #2 guy being a back up linebacker, the son of his good friend who really really wants a chance to play QB on a high level. But yet and still he knows we're thin at QB.

If he'd watched any of BA previous game tape he'd know to be somewhat skeptical and besides that every coach prepares a legit backup just in case of injury. But our guy runs off Mitchell, allows Reed to leave, sends Bruehner to the receiving corp, while he's stuck with 2 true freshmen and a back up LB. 2 true freshmen, in my opinion, he had every intention of red-shirting from day 1.

Very careless decision making here. It's like his ego or personal agenda's superceded that of the teams... and it showed in his year 1 results.

And before any of you bielema apologist prepare to burn me at the stakes, let me say I'm not in the Fire Bielema faction of the fanbase. I've been in support of him from the moment I heard he was hired. And was actually excited about it, but that will not prevent me from questioning or be critical about some of his decisions thus far.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: sportster365 on March 24, 2014, 11:13:59 am
I agree they weren't and very well should have been. As stated in his interview with Jim Harris, CBB knew Arkansas was thin at QB when he got here...  http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-bret-bielema-gives-backup-nod-to-transfer-aj-derby/ .... yet he still decided to suggest it to a 4 year Razorback to leave. Not only that he moves Bruehner to receiver and allows Taylor Reed to transfer as well, to settle for his #2 guy being a back up linebacker, the son of his good friend who really really wants a chance to play QB on a high level. But yet and still he knows we're thin at QB.

If he'd watched any of BA previous game tape he'd know to be somewhat skeptical and besides that every coach prepares a legit backup just in case of injury. But our guy runs off Mitchell, allows Reed to leave, sends Bruehner to the receiving corp, while he's stuck with 2 true freshmen and a back up LB. 2 true freshmen, in my opinion, he had every intention of red-shirting from day 1.

Very careless decision making here. It's like his ego or personal agenda's superceded that of the teams... and it showed in his year 1 results.

And before any of you bielema apologist prepare to burn me at the stakes, let me say I'm not in the Fire Bielema faction of the fanbase. I've been in support of him from the moment I heard he was hired. And was actually excited about it, but that will not prevent me from questioning or be critical about some of his decisions thus far.

All of you might want to read this thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=565197.0
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

chitwnhog

Quote from: locusbug on March 23, 2014, 01:28:08 pm
I am more partial to the Sox, but will root for any Chicago team now that I live here. My favorite acronym?

Completely Useless By September!  ;D  My Cub fan friends as loyal as any fans I have ever met. They know they root for a loser and don't care. I guess kind of like us?   ;)

Wrigley's always full and always a party, it's like the game and wins or losses are secondary.

The Kig

Plant me very solidly in the "Don't give a darn who starts, I just want to win" camp. 

Agreed, BA should be further along than any Freshman (RS or otherwise) and will very likely be the starter.  As last season progressed, it was apparent that he was the best option that we had on the roster at QB.  The injury, below average line play, terrible support from the WR's, and a porous defense were all contributing factors to him looking bad.  Also, he had several deficiencies that can hopefully be coached out of him that contributed.   

If we improve in the other areas and he still has glaring deficiencies, then hopefully one of the Frosh will have the skill set to step in and the coaches will have the balls to make the switch.  Otherwise we are in for another painful year.  If he checks out of obviously bad plays based on D alignment and can remember the route that his #2 and #3 options are supposed to be running, then he can be a serviceable SEC QB and we will win enough games to go bowling.
Poker Porker

GTOWNHOG

It won't take long to see if Brandon Allen is up to the task of being the starting QB.  After Auburn we have Nicholls State in Fayetteville and then Texas Tech in Lubbock.   After we get back from Lubbock, I would say that we will have all of the information that we need to see if Brandon Allen is "the one". :razorback:
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

chitwnhog

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on March 24, 2014, 01:40:24 pm
It won't take long to see if Brandon Allen is up to the task of being the starting QB.  After Auburn we have Nicholls State in Fayetteville and then Texas Tech in Lubbock.   After we get back from Lubbock, I would say that we will have all of the information that we need to see if Brandon Allen is "the one". :razorback:

I agree, we will know after the TT game if we need to give one of the Fr QB's a chance. If BA performs like he did for most of last year it will be time to make a change. I just hope he is healthy and that the "light" comes on.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sportster365 on March 24, 2014, 11:13:59 am

Why does this keep getting repeated? Ask the players if Bielema ran off Brandon Mitchell.

I was told that one of the seniors came to Bielema right after spring football was over and informed him that Mitchell was openly complaining about Bielema's decision to use him as a receiver while still giving him reps at QB. The player said that Mitchell was spreading dissension on the team.

Bielema called him in and asked him if he was ticked off. Mitchell said he was. At that point Bielema told Mitchell that he was welcome to remain with the team and still would have every opportunity to win the job but if he didn't he wanted Mitchell to work at receiver while still taking reps at QB.

Mitchell said he didn't want to do that. So Bielema helped him transfer to another school.

Obviously if Mitchell had bought into Bielema's plan by the 4th game of the season he would have been the starting quarterback, probably for the rest of the season.

So how is all of this Bielema's fault?

havok

A defense that can stop the opponent from driving the field all game long, will help the offense too.

Kinda hard to stay on the game plan, when the other team has the ball for long stretches, letting the offense get cold and tight on the sidelines.. plus the opponent's defense nice and comfortable..with allot of Juice still left in the tank deep into the 2nd half.

bollweevil

I want Brandon Allen to be successful, but I'll have to see it on the field. That said, some of Arkansas' best quarterbacks didn't come into their own right away. Clint Stoerner was a junior before he became a winner. Tyler Wilson didn't become the full-time starter until his fourth year. (Frosh 2008, medical redshirt 2009, Mallett understudy 2010) Going further back, Ron Calcagni was a third-year junior when he finally became a quality starter. Jon Brittenum was a fourth-year (redshirt) junior when he became the starter in 1965. Fred Marshall was a fifth-year senior when he became the full-time starter in '64. Like most of you, I am excited about the possibilities for Rafe Peavy, but let's let the young man adjust to college football and actually go through a spring practice before we anoint the guy as the savior of the program.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 24, 2014, 03:30:13 pm
Why does this keep getting repeated? Ask the players if Bielema ran off Brandon Mitchell.

Mike, it keeps getting repeated because some on here have an agenda of dissention as well.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: locusbug on March 24, 2014, 04:42:38 pm
Mike, it keeps getting repeated because some on here have an agenda of dissention as well.

nahhhh....not on Hogville!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Nashville Fan

You guys were ready to string up Mallet the year he separated his shoulder and played through it. I am gonna wait until we play some games before I give up.
Pittman or Bust!

rude1

BA is going to be who we sink or swim with IMO. I am hoping that the light bulb comes on for him this season. Still it is concerning to me to read that his completion % in spring practices was in the low 60's. That needs to be much higher, especially for practices.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 24, 2014, 05:35:28 pm
BA is going to be who we sink or swim with IMO. I am hoping that the light bulb comes on for him this season. Still it is concerning to me to read that his completion % in spring practices was in the low 60's. That needs to be much higher, especially for practices.
Against our secondary.   :(

ChitownHawg

Rude, where did you read the stats for practice as I like to take a look? Thks

Mike Irwin

Quote from: locusbug on March 24, 2014, 06:02:13 pm
Rude, where did you read the stats for practice as I like to take a look? Thks
Bielema said it last Friday. I assume the coaches charted Allen's completion percentage last week in passing drills against the secondary.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 24, 2014, 06:24:38 pm
Bielema said it last Friday. I assume the coaches charted Allen's completion percentage last week in passing drills against the secondary.

Mike, since it takes two to complete a pass then was the 60% due to drops! BA missing, or a combo?

PorkSoda

this is what I think too.  BA has experience and time in the system in his favor over the rest of the QB's.  I seriously doubt we will see a change that is not injury related.  He has the potential, but its a question mark whether he can make good decisions under pressure.  Regardless of his performance, they have too much invested in him to just start over with another QB (unless, of course, one of them miraculously proves to be some sort of super star in spring practice)
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: locusbug on March 24, 2014, 06:34:23 pm
Mike, since it takes two to complete a pass then was the 60% due to drops! BA missing, or a combo?
two of the three workouts were closed and I was covering baseball the day of the open practice so I couldn't say.

Bielema and Chaney fell all over themselves complimenting Allen so I didn't take it as a big deal.

Look they know he's got to improve. But they also know that he's a much better option right now than any other kid on campus.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: lrcentral on March 23, 2014, 01:19:23 am
Amen. BA is not a SEC Quarterback. Arkansas was struggling with Samford before BA went down. Move on to someone that gives us a chance. Seems like a good kid but just doesn't have SEC talent.

The comments of a man without perspective.

Brandon may or may not be the person to lead us in 2015.  But if he is not the one to lead us in 2014, we are in bigger trouble than we were last year (Offensively).  And that's not because the others don't have talent and promise.  It's because they won't be in a position to realize that promise until 2015 at the earliest.

So . . . we need to HOPE that Brandon seizes the bit this season.  It's our best case scenario for 2014.  Let 2015 take care of itself when we get there.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: locusbug on March 24, 2014, 04:42:38 pm

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 24, 2014, 03:30:13 pm

I was told that one of the seniors came to Bielema right after spring football was over and informed him that Mitchell was openly complaining about Bielema's decision to use him as a receiver while still giving him reps at QB. The player said that Mitchell was spreading dissension on the team.

Bielema called him in and asked him if he was ticked off. Mitchell said he was. At that point Bielema told Mitchell that he was welcome to remain with the team and still would have every opportunity to win the job but if he didn't he wanted Mitchell to work at receiver while still taking reps at QB.

Mitchell said he didn't want to do that. So Bielema helped him transfer to another school.

Obviously if Mitchell had bought into Bielema's plan by the 4th game of the season he would have been the starting quarterback, probably for the rest of the season.

because he wanted to use our #2 QB at WR.  that IS his fault, and for all intents and purposes ran BM off by sticking him in a position he didn't want to play.  what did BB expect to happen?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Swine-as-wine

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 24, 2014, 07:01:08 pm
because he wanted to use our #2 QB at WR.  that IS his fault, and for all intents and purposes ran BM off by sticking him in a position he didn't want to play.  what did BB expect to happen?
That's NOT how it came down. At the end of last spring Bielema told the media that Allen had emerged as the No. 1 QB. He also said that Mitchell would have every opportunity to win the job in the fall...but IF HE DIDN'T he felt after watching video of Mitchell at WR the previous season that he was too valuable there to sit on the bench at QB. He also made it clear that Mitchell would not be a full time WR. He
would continue to get reps as the No. 2 QB in practice.

Mitchell had the chance at that point to meet privately with Bielema and tell him he'd rather stay at QB full time. But instead he went around complaining about it to the other players.  It was one of those players who suggested to Bielema that Mitchell was causing
problems with his attitude.

When Bielema brought Mitchell in and realized that the kid indeed had an attitude he made arrangements for him to transfer.

That is in no way running a kid off or making him play another position.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 24, 2014, 06:40:32 pm
two of the three workouts were closed and I was covering baseball the day of the open practice so I couldn't say.

Bielema and Chaney fell all over themselves complimenting Allen so I didn't take it as a big deal.

Look they know he's got to improve. But they also know that he's a much better option right now than any other kid on campus.

Thanks Mike. I am rooting for BA. I thought I would ask to help clarify so that others would not be making a big deal out of the 60%. Yes, BA has to improve but so do the WRs. If BA improves 100% but the WRs don't then his improvement will not help us much. Some guys on here need to understand that. Thanks for the reply.