Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen-one might want to be on the right side of Hog history.

Started by JIHawg, March 22, 2014, 10:39:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

The BA train is leaving the station.  Might as well get on board.  I've watched many spring practice scenarios come and go, and have a feel for the QB starter the following fall.  It will be Brandon Allen.  The competition is for backup, and backup to the backup.

A junior with one year's experience in the offense vs. three freshmen or redshirt freshmen, it's no contest if history predicts the future.

There are some comfort stations for the unconvinced.  The basic offense is installed, with Brandon at the helm.  The OC has a lot of wrinkles to add creating a much more versatile offense.  We are a year ahead of last year.

Brandon will be surrounded by a better offensive line, better receivers, and backs with a year's experience under their belts, plus some new ones with talent.  The two key tight ends are a year older.  Everybody is stronger.  Most have spent a year in the offense and understand it better.  The coaches have had a year to sell it, and it will be bought into this year much more than last year. 

Brandon is in his junior year.  That's usually the best year for a QB.  Think Clint Stoerner, Quin Grovey, and many others. 

He didn't throw an interception his senior year in high school.  He'll be SEC ready this year with a much better surrounding cast.  My suggestion-to avoid grief, just go ahead and get on the train.  We're going to war with Brandon Allen.

murthage

I can live with that........  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

PygmalionEffect

I don't think the concern is as much about who is going to be starting at quarterback as much as it is about that whomever the starter is, are they going to be good.

Can you tell us how good our team is going to be this year in terms of wins and loses or is your supernatural ability to see the future limited to starting lineups?

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

HatfieldHog

My prognostication says that BA can't be much worse than he was last year!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

JIHawg

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on March 22, 2014, 11:06:16 pm
I don't think the concern is as much about who is going to be starting at quarterback as much as it is about that whomever the starter is, are they going to be good.

Can you tell us how good our team is going to be this year in terms of wins and loses or is your supernatural ability to see the future limited to starting lineups?

Don't claim any supernatural powers, and I know you were being sarcastic.  I do believe that historical patterns are a predictor of the future, and this seems to fit scenarios we have seen many times before.

I have no clue if we are close on defense or not.  And that is just as important, maybe more important, than offensive improvement.  I just don't know if there is enough defensive talent to feel comfortable predicting a certain number of wins. 

HogCzar1

I think most of us would acknowledge that last year our QB play was inadequate. I agree that many are rushing to write Brandon off. I think that spring practice will go a long way in determining the starter this fall. I would be surprised if a starter was not name after spring practice.

Having said that, we are now hearing that Brandon never was physically able to perform following the opening game at near 100%. If that's true, then Brandon will certainly have to prove he can sustain his health throughout the season. If, indeed, Brandon was that physically restricted last year it does bring into question those behind him last year.

I would think that the coaches would be very hesitant to bring Rafe along too quickly. Also, if one of the other guys such as Austin or Duwop has a great spring, and Rafe needs time to adjust to the complexity and speed of the game then that may not be a bad thing.

However, I think we can all agree that our QB play this year must improve by a good margin if we are to be much better this year. If that is Brandon, thats great. If its someone else, thats fine too. If Rafe is the best player that gives us a chance to win this fall, then the coaches will have to be convinced of that.

My biggest concern is that we must certainly eliminate the bad play- pick six turnovers. If we can have someone make smart plays, and eliminate the bad ones, that will go a long way. In addition, the QB will have to exhibit enough arm strength to make the throws required against SEC quality DBs. Hopefully we will see that happen.

Danny J

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on March 22, 2014, 11:06:16 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

No doubt BA will for sure 100% without a doubt be our starter.

Calling All Hogs

My only agenda is to win. If BA can get it done fine. I will only complain if he can't get it done and CBB leaves him in anyway without giving anyone else a shot.

Marshfieldhog

Look for BA to start the season but someone will emerge to challenge him once he struggles.

CallThemHawgs!

No thanks.

If he is the best we got, hang up the cleats.

Sorry.

lrcentral

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 23, 2014, 12:59:29 am
No thanks.

If he is the best we got, hang up the cleats.

Sorry.

Amen. BA is not a SEC Quarterback. Arkansas was struggling with Samford before BA went down. Move on to someone that gives us a chance. Seems like a good kid but just doesn't have SEC talent.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JIHawg on March 22, 2014, 10:39:38 pm
The BA train is leaving the station.  Might as well get on board.  I've watched many spring practice scenarios come and go, and have a feel for the QB starter the following fall.  It will be Brandon Allen.  The competition is for backup, and backup to the backup.

A junior with one year's experience in the offense vs. three freshmen or redshirt freshmen, it's no contest if history predicts the future.

There are some comfort stations for the unconvinced.  The basic offense is installed, with Brandon at the helm.  The OC has a lot of wrinkles to add creating a much more versatile offense.  We are a year ahead of last year.

Brandon will be surrounded by a better offensive line, better receivers, and backs with a year's experience under their belts, plus some new ones with talent.  The two key tight ends are a year older.  Everybody is stronger.  Most have spent a year in the offense and understand it better.  The coaches have had a year to sell it, and it will be bought into this year much more than last year. 

Brandon is in his junior year.  That's usually the best year for a QB.  Think Clint Stoerner, Quin Grovey, and many others. 

He didn't throw an interception his senior year in high school.  He'll be SEC ready this year with a much better surrounding cast.  My suggestion-to avoid grief, just go ahead and get on the train.  We're going to war with Brandon Allen.

If you are correct then my Hogs will be doing well. Here is to you being correct!
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: CallMeHog on March 23, 2014, 12:09:08 am
My only agenda is to win. If BA can get it done fine. I will only complain if he can't get it done and CBB leaves him in anyway without giving anyone else a shot.

I think if that scenario played out then a few of us may jump off the CBB bandwagon. I don't anticipate CBB riding a dead mule through the whole year.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

blu

Quote from: lrcentral on March 23, 2014, 01:19:23 am
Amen. BA is not a SEC Quarterback. Arkansas was struggling with Samford before BA went down. Move on to someone that gives us a chance. Seems like a good kid but just doesn't have SEC talent.

Have to respectfully disagree with this - and it was the Southern Miss game when he got hurt. I was there, the offense was starting to click on that TD drive. I agree with the OP, and many SEC QBs did not shine until their Jr or even Sr seasons. It will be good to have some more options if he does get hurt again.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

The NewEra

I think a lot of people, myself included, have had a tendency to underestimate the psychological effect on Brandon with receivers dropping so many balls early on last year.  If you go back and watch some of the early games, then other than Hunter Henry no one could catch a football with any consistency.  I've also heard Hatcher say this year that most of the time last year the receivers weren't running the right routes.  Throw in the injury and the fact that BA was a sophomore last year starting for the first time in the SEC West and we can only hope that the problems we saw were his supporting cast as much as they were his being green.

Based on what I've heard and read, he's much more mature this year all the way around, and healthy.  We can only hope that's true and that BA comes into his own because starting a rookie at Q.B. doesn't work well in this division of this conference.  Our success on offense will likely only be 50% on BA.  The other 50% will be on the O-line, receivers and our RB's.

What I will be keying into most, as I'm sure our competition will, is this.  Does BA go through his progressions or stare his receivers down?  Can he check out of a bad play?

Crossing my fingers for a really good year for the Hogs!!

hoghearted

I'm thinking he will be miles better this year, without having to endure pain or worry about his shoulder. And I'm hoping his WR's will step up and do their jobs in getting open and hanging on to the ball.

Go get 'em Brandon.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

goodguytex

Quote from: The NewEra on March 23, 2014, 07:33:51 am

What I will be keying into most, as I'm sure our competition will, is this.  Does BA go through his progressions or stare his receivers down?  Can he check out of a bad play?

That's the biggest thing I will be looking for as well. If he is going to be successful as our QB, he has to overcome those tendencies that lead to INTs. We have to score more points per game than we did last year. Especially since our defense isn't like it needs to be yet. Having a more experienced and solid Oline to give Allen time will help.

Truth is, we don't know how much damage was done to many positions on this team due to the incompetency of the staff from 2012. We just don't know. Hopefully Chaney has managed to help BA to overcome any mental roadblocks and will be ready to go. If not, i hope Austin Allen is ready to play.

hawg IQ

Quote from: JIHawg on March 22, 2014, 10:39:38 pm

The thing is after last year, he has to prove himself all over. Last year was as much a flop as some of the Casey Dick years.
    Its more than a quick release or even better receivers, OL, and such. Its the ability to makes good choices, to get in and out of bad plays. He has very little scrambling ability. He lacked the type of leadership last fall to get the offense believing in themselves.
   He has to take this team and score something above 30 points every game-can he ?

Until I see something contrary, I'm not a believer in BA. I want to be wrong, but there is more evidence to see fail than gain with BA- sorry !?
  WE should be looking at other QBs all Spring and Fall practice.
go hogs go !

harrisburghog

My prediction is that BA will look great this spring, and  Hog Hopes will be sky high,after the Auburn game and he gets smacked around Hog Hopes will begin to fade. I think we will see the same thing we saw last year a QB who is not SEC caliber. Way too many times last year he looked wide eyed and nervous. BA  can improve physically and with his technique, but I'm not so sure about his head.

The NewEra

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2014, 07:53:53 am
Truth is, we don't know how much damage was done to many positions on this team due to the incompetency of the staff from 2012. We just don't know.

This is so true, and I think it's very much overlooked and understated.  At best in 2012 these kids had bad coaching, at worst and I think it's more accurate than not, they had no coaching.  You don't overcome that in just one year with a new staff.

Pig Worshipper

I think Brandon Allen has the physical attributes needed to be successful as our quarterback and apparently his shoulder is now fully healed. But is he mentally prepared to play quarterback in the SEC? So far the answer to that question has been a resounding "no". It is clear to anyone that, without good quarterback play, the Razorbacks are not going to improve very much over last season. We need a quarterback who is smart mentally and also mentally tough. I don't care who starts at quarterback as long as he has those attributes. If it is Brandon Allen, fine, but we haven't seen that from him so far in his college career.

HoopS

As most second year starters will, BA will improve physically and mentally.   Lot of things worked against BA last season.

1. First year starter
2. Receivers had very little experience
3. Our line wasn't exactly great
4. And they were all learning a new system
5. BA was starting to look good when he got hurt.  I don't believe he ever got full strength back.  In turn, that effects throws and eventually effects decisions.

He still showed flashes.  Looked good against A&M but faded late.  I suspect his shoulder had much to do with that.

I'm all set to support him and see.

three hog night

I think a lot of people, myself included, have had a tendency to underestimate the psychological effect on Brandon with receivers dropping so many balls early on last year.  If you go back and watch some of the early games, then other than Hunter Henry no one could catch a football with any consistency.  I've also heard Hatcher say this year that most of the time last year the receivers weren't running the right routes.  Throw in the injury and the fact that BA was a sophomore last year starting for the first time in the SEC West and we can only hope that the problems we saw were his supporting cast as much as they were his being green.

Based on what I've heard and read, he's much more mature this year all the way around, and healthy.  We can only hope that's true and that BA comes into his own because starting a rookie at Q.B. doesn't work well in this division of this conference.  Our success on offense will likely only be 50% on BA.  The other 50% will be on the O-line, receivers and our RB's.

I am on the same page as you.   I have based my opinions all of the same pieces of info.   BA will be much better.  The defense?  that is another story
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

sigpooie

BA scouting report healthy or not and if he was unhealthy why did he not help the team by pulling himself. But I did not see any games where I thought this kid could handle the beating I saw wilson take the year before. So I think he's out early if he does get in since our early games include sec lines.
I also noticed that he makes the wrong decision when pushed in the early part of a play. So practice might correct that, but I think it was a speed of the game problem he might take another year to correct. This is something, I hate to say, Malzan is  very good at fixing.
As a passing qb this kid has a mid range arm at best, and that's only good if your slots and post can catch on the run with. He was better at hitting the stops than the runs and the receivers are about 50% to blame on that issue. He should not attempt a pass over 20 yards this year, unless we are whipping the line.
As a tough player I give the kid a C, until I see him take on a dback in the secondary, which he does not have the speed to get to very often since he's  usually being taken down by a dlineman from behind.
So I hope AA or duwop look better since I feel they are going to be needed. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Pig In The City

I agree.  BA should be our guy moving forward.  His experience gives him the initial leg up.  As a fan, I hope he is our man because the other alternative of starting inexperienced QBs only causes nightmares for me.  However, down the line, we must get consistent playmaking ability from the QB position.  Mistakes are going to be made but who can pick themselves up and lead. That will be the key.

three hog night

Quote from: HoopS on March 23, 2014, 08:36:52 am
As most second year starters will, BA will improve physically and mentally.   Lot of things worked against BA last season.

1. First year starter
5. BA was starting to look good when he got hurt.  I don't believe he ever got full strength back.  In turn, that effects throws and eventually effects decisions.

He still showed flashes.  Looked good against A&M but faded late.  I suspect his shoulder had much to do with that.

I see the same influences and thoughts.  I hope that we are correct.  He needs good protection and WR's so he can gain some confidence.   He was improving the last 3 games of the year as he was healing.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Pig In The City

1. First year starter

I'm set to support the Razorbacks and the QB that will come in and be the leader and playmaker regardless of name.  I agree, everything on offense should be better and last year there was more than just issues with BA's play.  I am looking forward to our offense being able to do their part this year.  I will be in the seats at spring game.  WPS!

sigpooie

He reminds me of the kid that left for UCA. Just wanted to add this post so I could see my numbers to the left at 115 315 and 1115
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

The NewEra

A short piece of trivia that should be considered in this discussion.  If you are a Junior on this football team, then this is the first year you will have had the same coaches and system in your college experience.  Just take a minute to think about that!!

I'm listening to the Jonathan Williams interview and he mentioned this.

MuskogeeHogFan

1. First year starter

I agree with everything but what you said about the O-Line. I'm not sure what you guys want from an O-Line? They were 3rd in the nation last year in sacks allowed (1 in every 37.6 passing attempts) and even when everyone knew we were going to run the ball, they still were able to plow the road well enough to be the #21 rushing offense in the country, four spots better than the annual rushing power, Alabama, who was #25.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig In The City

I personally hope that we throw more on first and second down and keep defenses guessing.  It is an advantage you just don't want to give your opponent.  I don't mind a balanced attack but run, run, pass, run, run, pass ain't gonna cut it in the SEC.

opineonswine

Quote from: The NewEra on March 23, 2014, 09:04:41 am
A short piece of trivia that should be considered in this discussion.  If you are a Junior on this football team, then this is the first year you will have had the same coaches and system in your college experience.  Just take a minute to think about that!!

I'm listening to the Jonathan Williams interview and he mentioned this.

Continuity of coaches is a big deal.  Our admin knows it.  Another reason BB will get 5 years to make or break.

opineonswine

Quote from: HogFanDallas on March 23, 2014, 09:05:58 am
I personally hope that we throw more on first and second down and keep defenses guessing.  It is an advantage you just don't want to give your opponent.  I don't mind a balanced attack but run, run, pass, run, run, pass ain't gonna cut it in the SEC.

Except Auburn rarely passed on first down...heck...rarely passed at all...and won the SEC last year.  But I get your point and agree....you need the element of surprise.  Being predictable is usually a recipe for defeat.

three hog night

These are some stats for BA last year.

ULL
Arkansas   C/ATT   YDS   AVG   TD   INT
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Allen            9/17   125   7.4     2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?   

opineonswine

Quote from: three hog night on March 23, 2014, 09:12:37 am
These are some stats for BA last year.

ULL
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Allen            9/17   125   7.4     2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?   

Definitely a trend.  I've tried to forget last year and therefore don't remember the Ole Miss, MSU defeats, but we lost to LSU due to the defense.  If we can improve that woeful performance, we should win some games. 

three hog night

Quote from: opineonswine on March 23, 2014, 09:14:43 am
Definitely a trend.  I've tried to forget last year and therefore don't remember the Ole Miss, MSU defeats, but we lost to LSU due to the defense.  If we can improve that woeful performance, we should win some games.

The WR's will be pivotal to BA's progress.  BA has to do his part by working on his progressions, getting chemistry with the WR's, get experienced with their route runs, and gain confidence in his OLine and WR's to do what they are supposed to. 

farmhawg

Quote from: locusbug on March 23, 2014, 03:45:22 am
I think if that scenario played out then a few of us may jump off the CBB bandwagon. I don't anticipate CBB riding a dead mule through the whole year.
He did last year.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on March 23, 2014, 09:30:30 am
The WR's will be pivotal to BA's progress.  BA has to do his part by working on his progressions, getting chemistry with the WR's, get experienced with their route runs, and gain confidence in his OLine and WR's to do what they are supposed to. 

Timing, timing is critical and being accurate enough to throw to the back shoulder ONLY when the coverage is so tight and no one else is open, that this is the only spot to place the ball. Not as a matter of habit.
Go Hogs Go!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: opineonswine on March 23, 2014, 09:14:43 am

We Will Win....  :razorback: GO HAWGS!!! 

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

olivebranchhog

Only 2 stats matter. Wins and losses. Right now he's a loser (statistically). If he starts winning is games that we shouldn't win and pummeling teams we should beat...He'll earn his place in Arkansas history. Right now he's just a stop-gap until a talented qb arrives. He CAN change that this year. I won't say another thing about him until the day after the Auburn game. Just don't get caught up thinking a guy goes from bottom of the pack to record breaking qb. Especially with our schedule in the SEC.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

three hog night

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 23, 2014, 09:37:27 am
Only 2 stats matter. Wins and losses. Right now he's a loser (statistically). If he starts winning is games that we shouldn't win and pummeling teams we should beat...He'll earn his place in Arkansas history. Right now he's just a stop-gap until a talented qb arrives. He CAN change that this year. I won't say another thing about him until the day after the Auburn game. Just don't get caught up thinking a guy goes from bottom of the pack to record breaking qb. Especially with our schedule in the SEC.

Who said he was going to be record breaking?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 09:33:09 am
He did last year.....

Who was coming in? We saw Derby and he couldn't get it done. This year will be different in that you have two redshirt freshmen not true freshmen.

I gave the staff the benefit of the doubt that they either didn't want to burn the redshirt or the frwhmen were simply not ready as many freshmen QB are. That benefit of doubt has now been removed, so that does make a difference to me.

There are 3 QBs (AA, Duwop, Derby) at their disposal if BA gets hurt or simply doesn't get it done. Now if those 3 crash and burn as well then look at Rafe. Or maybe Rafe makes it an easy decision by playing outstanding in practice to warrant a shot.

So they have 3 to 4 QBs this year. Simply there are viable options this year.

farmhawg

Quote from: locusbug on March 23, 2014, 09:40:39 am
Who was coming in? We saw Derby and he couldn't get it done. This year will be different in that you have two redshirt freshmen not true freshmen.

I gave the staff the benefit of the doubt that they either didn't want to burn the redshirt or the frwhmen were simply not ready as many freshmen QB are. That benefit has now been removed, so that does make a difference to me.

There are 3 QBs (AA, Duwop, Derby) at their disposal if BA gets hurt or simply doesn't get it done. Now if those 3 crash and burn as well then look at Rafe. Or maybe Rafe makes it an easy decision by playing outstanding in practice to warrant a shot.

Simply there are viable options this year.
Wonder who's fault that was? We were the only school to take Derby as a QB that alone should tell you something. Also, why were they concerned with someone losing a redshirt? What are they holding it for? Better QB's coming in according to some of you so why not burn one?

The staff was not prepared that is all last year entailed.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

three hog night

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 09:44:07 am
Wonder who's fault that was? We were the only school to take Derby as a QB that alone should tell you something. Also, why were they concerned with someone losing a redshirt? What are they holding it for? Better QB's coming in according to some of you so why not burn one?

It is painfully clear you don't like Bielema....we get it. 

MuskogeeHogFan

I think the staff as a whole, might have been surprised by the level of competition in the SEC. They had heard about the SEC being a tough place to reside as college football team, but I think first hand experience might have caught them a little off-guard. That won't be the case this season as evidenced by the staff changes.

If you see Derby at all this year, it will be sideline shots where he is holding a clipboard. As for why the Freshmen weren't thrown into the mix last year, there are a lot of theories running around about that, but I would suggest that we will never truly know why they weren't thrown into the fray.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

I am not arguing against any of your points. I simply take the attitude they knew more than we fans did and give them the benefit of the doubt. This year some of that benefit is removed and improvement needs to be shown.

It just makes life easier for me.  ;D

olivebranchhog

Quote from: three hog night on March 23, 2014, 09:40:31 am
Who said he was going to be record breaking?

Really? That's all you took from that.  The last part of the last sentence. It was a caution for anyone getting their hopes too high.  I see 6-7 wins next year.  In order to get that number to 8-9 he's going to have to be a top-tier qb because this defense is a year or two away from being good enough to get us wins. Keep in mind I say this because we play 5 teams that are years ahead of us in all facets. We'll get there. Just don't see it being THIS team with BA at qb. But, you won't see me saying any negatives on game day. I just want the team to be successful. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 23, 2014, 10:20:07 am
Really? That's all you took from that.  The last part of the last sentence. It was a caution for anyone getting their hopes too high.  I see 6-7 wins next year.  In order to get that number to 8-9 he's going to have to be a top-tier qb because this defense is a year or two away from being good enough to get us wins. Keep in mind I say this because we play 5 teams that are years ahead of us in all facets. We'll get there. Just don't see it being THIS team with BA at qb. But, you won't see me saying any negatives on game day. I just want the team to be successful.

I'll take 6 or 7 wins, and be happy about it. I just want to see improvement.

Kevin

i will be encouraged if his pocket presence improves, and he does not bail out to his right at the first sign of a defender.

step up in the pocket, young man.

plus, don't try to out run lsu cornerbacks.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

olivebranchhog

Quote from: locusbug on March 23, 2014, 10:22:21 am
I'll take 6 or 7 wins, and be happy about it. I just want to see improvement.

it all depends on how we get to that 6-7. If we're in most games and we see the defense make some big plays....yeah I'll be totally fine with it. But if we limp into it and get beaten by average OOC teams...I'll be pissed. I think this staff knows the amount of pressure they're under to improve the team. Now we just have to see the ceiling of both the staff and roster. ANYTHING is possible.