Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's start the spring football buzz

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 21, 2014, 02:07:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Here's the puke from my rumor mill...

QB Rafe Peavey isn't going to be fast-tracked into contending for the job. Ain't gonna happen. It would take an extraordinary talent for Jim Chaney to do something like that.  His offense is a big mental challenge for the QB. A newcomer is inherently at a disadvantage. Peavey might have the best tools of all of 'em, but they don't feel like they have to rush him. The only reason someone like A.J. Derby is in it at all is his practice time advantage.

WR D'Arthur Cowan is taking off the rest of spring practice to salvage his academic situation. He needed the practice. Not sure we should count on him helping much anytime soon.

WR Jared Cornelius, WR Cody Hollister and CB Chris Murphy were truly ready to join the Hogs at midterm. They all have a good chance to play important roles this fall. WR Drew Morgan is much more ready to play. Demetrius Wilson is being held out of contact, but his size and speed likely make him a No.1. Keon Hatcher is in the rotation for sure. Coaches are watching to see if Eric Hawkins is going to rise up.

C Luke Charpentier will own the starting job, if he continues to look as good as he has. C Cordale Boyd is a viable 2015 starter. Won't have to rush any recruits into action there.

LT is owned by Dan Skipper. RG is set with Denver Kirkland. As best available athlete, Grady Ollison is ahead at LG. He will face competition in August. RT Brey Cook likely set there. His backup will be a freshman. Overall, the Oline probably begins 2014 season well ahead of where it was last season. But Brian Wallace, Sebastian Tretola, Frank Ragnow will have a chance to play if the line needs one or two more pieces to be dominating.

TB Korliss Marshall ... everyone's excited about his potential. Same for TE Hunter Henry, who can be bigtime.

LBs are Brooks Ellis, Braylon Mitchell, Otha Peters and then Martrell Spaight. Three of them will start against conventional offenses. Two against spread. The third LB against the spread will be a rover/safety type. That likely will not be settled until August. Peters might be ready now. These four guys aren't going to be displaced by anybody coming in August. Question is whether a freshman can help at the speed LB position.

Taiwan Johnson is a DT now like Horace Arkadie, who also was recruited as a DE. Very much nailed down two starting spots -- DE Trey Flowers, DT Darius Philon. DT DeMarcus Hodge and Arkadie are juniors vying to start. Arkadie is 6-4 and over 310. Johnson does some things the new coaches like. Not sure what's up with Jeremy Ward and Ke'Tyrus Marks. Everybody's got to get in good early with DL coach Rory Segrest, because Bijhon Jackson is coming.

Walkon DE Karl Roesler (from Louisville, Ky.) is a player. His dad played for Notre Dame. He was recruited by high-majors for a while but for some reason ended up with mid-major offers. Probably only 6-2, pushing 250, is quicker than the taller guys.

Would really like to hear the true report on the other DEs, Brandon Lewis, Deatrich Wise, JaMichael Winston, Tevin Beanum. Tired of hearing "they all looked good" crap.

CBs Jared Collins and Carroll Washington are fast but too light. CB Chris Murphy has a good balance of strength and speed. The new coaches like CB Tevin Mitchel more than you'd think. Their scheme might fit him better. CBs D.J. Dean and Will Hines could use a little more speed but are strong enough.

Take most of this with a grain of salt. It's really early. Don't know what to think about the safeties, too little info. I wonder how long it will be before the defensive coaches are begging Bielema to move some players from other positions.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Finally, a practice report/update.

Thanks!

The_Iceman

Also, been hearing from the practice reports on the radio that Brandon Allen is head and shoulders the best QB out there. He has his velocity back and has solid command of all the throws.

Biggus Piggus

Truly SEC-caliber players who could play anywhere:

TE Hunter Henry
OL Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper getting there
FB Kody Walker has a chance - much improved
TB Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Korliss Marshall
DE Trey Flowers
DT Darius Philon
P Sam Irwin-Hill

Most likely to succeed among the rest:

WR Demetrius Wilson, Jared Cornelius
QB Brandon Allen
DE Tevin Beanum
LB Brooks Ellis
CB Chris Murphy
S De'Andre Coley
[CENSORED]!

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

three hog night

It feels good to have some real info.  Good job BP.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Hogberry Snortcake

The NewEra

Razorhawg09

Alex Mortensen is looking good out there.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 21, 2014, 03:24:41 pm
Alex Mortensen is looking good out there.

Is he a GA? 

I saw where Alfred Davis is working with the DL.

Or is this a joke?  I can't tell, anymore. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RedyorNot

Man how I needed this fix. Much thanks!

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 21, 2014, 03:25:39 pm
Is he a GA? 

Joke, he got hired as a GA at Bama or Barner....

azhog10

Is it me, or does it seem like we are really changing a lot of things defensively? When Rob Smith was hired him and Beilema acted like not a lot was changing, they harped on communication being better and simpler for the guys to understand. They also mentioned we would be a little more aggressive. But listening to these interviews all the coaches talked about implementing a new scheme and how the guys are really having to learn a lot of new things, and really change their mentality. Am I reading to much into it, or are we really gonna see an almost completely new style of play on that side of the ball?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 03:42:31 pm
Joke, he got hired as a GA at Bama or Barner....

Better QB coach?  Chaney or Mortensen?  :)

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 21, 2014, 03:45:19 pm
Is it me, or does it seem like we are really changing a lot of things defensively? When Rob Smith was hired him and Beilema acted like not a lot was changing, they harped on communication being better and simpler for the guys to understand. They also mentioned we would be a little more aggressive. But listening to these interviews all the coaches talked about implementing a new scheme and how the guys are really having to learn a lot of new things, and really change their mentality. Am I reading to much into it, or are we really gonna see an almost completely new style of play on that side of the ball?

If ain't broke, don't fix it. 

If it IS broke, well...
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 21, 2014, 03:45:48 pm
Better QB coach?  Chaney or Mortensen?  :)

I don't know, has Alex been a QB coach in the FBS?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 03:50:41 pm
I don't know, has Alex been a QB coach in the FBS?

Has Chaney taken a snap in his life?

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 21, 2014, 05:01:44 pm
Has Chaney taken a snap in his life?

Yep, played QB in the 4th grade.......

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 21, 2014, 02:07:37 pm

Walkon DE Karl Roesler (from Louisville, Ky.) is a player. His dad played for Notre Dame. He was recruited by high-majors for a while but for some reason ended up with mid-major offers. Probably only 6-2, pushing 250, is quicker than the taller guys.

Turns out that Roesler's Dad wasn't a big star at ND, but his Grandad was a 3 year starter at Center for ND. Let's hope that he takes after Grandad more than his Dad. Another diamond in the rough?
Go Hogs Go!

Laughing Hog

Thanks Biggus. I too, am tired of hearing the same ol' same ol' "they all looked good" crap. Have gotten to the point of almost not watching any of the interviews. I can almost recite what they are going to say before they even start.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

ricepig

It's coach speak, nobody is going to say "we suck, sorry fans."

31to6

Here's the puke from my rumor mill...

Thanks.

On LB's in the most recent coach and player interviews it sounds like Brooks Ellis and Otha Peters are competing for Mike.

If they are 2 of the 3 starters, which one shifts?

flagstaffhog

+1. I appreciate the post. Im really looking forward to this season.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 06:12:24 pm
It's coach speak, nobody is going to say "we suck, sorry fans."

Is that what you think that the coaching staff is saying?
Go Hogs Go!

Oklahawg

It might be silly but methinks there is something to the list of players tossed out for early interviews.

Coley, RS FR safety, gets interview time, practice #1.

Otha Peters, Braylon Mitchell and Brooks Ellis at LB. Now, either we are trying to prop up some egos or something is really going well with LB.

Tevin Mitchell is a logical pick to represent the secondary...until you remember how much he regressed since he showed up on campus. Tells me they are thinking he is a good fit for the new system.

Trey Flowers made sense. Brooks Ellis made sense. After that I was surprised.

On offense, it all made sense but I was most surprised that Keon Hatcher was included. It sounds like he has stepped up to be the leader of the WR corps, even if he is not the #1 talent like last year.

Always appreciative of such well-written, objective write-ups.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2014, 07:13:40 pm
Is that what you think that the coaching staff is saying?

Yep, that's it exactly, all over America, that's what they say.

razorback44

Why in the world would you be surprised by Hatcher? He was easily our best receiver last year once he was healthy.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Razorhawg09

Hatcher and Wilson should be serviceable. Need Cornelius and Cowan for it to be an above average group.

Oklahawg

Quote from: razorback44 on March 21, 2014, 09:00:29 pm
Why in the world would you be surprised by Hatcher? He was easily our best receiver last year once he was healthy.

I am not surprised as I'm a huge Hatcher fan. But, we didn't hear, "we need a receiver to compliment Hatcher," we heard instead, "we need taller possession receivers for the inside and faster, game-breaker receivers for the outside."

When the staff talked about OL it was "need more to add to what we recruited last year."

Seems a favorable sign, regardless of the clunkiness of my language. He is being handed a leadership role and I like it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogeration

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2014, 02:15:38 pm
Also, been hearing from the practice reports on the radio that Brandon Allen is head and shoulders the best QB out there. He has his velocity back and has solid command of all the throws.

Hope you're right but we heard that last year too.

OnTheHillHogFan

Deatrich Wise has slimmed down to about 275 after playing at 290 last year. He was moving inside if he didn't lose some weight before spring.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 08:01:14 pm
Yep, that's it exactly, all over America, that's what they say.

Watched the coaches interview tape and I see why you feel that way, but just having had one day of pads and two days without, I'm not sure what else they would say? Three new coaches on defense, evaluating players per their positions, like our DC said, I wish they weren't going on a break but could just keep working for the purpose of developing continuity.

My concern is the fact that we have another change in defensive philosophy/scheme that has to be learned for the fourth year in a row by some of these kids, no matter how subtle or diverse the change may be. I certainly hope that this staff is able to quickly convey and engrain the changes.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on March 21, 2014, 03:25:39 pm
Is he a GA? 

Maybe he's a free agent.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Laughing Hog on March 21, 2014, 06:04:43 pm
Thanks Biggus. I too, am tired of hearing the same ol' same ol' "they all looked good" crap. Have gotten to the point of almost not watching any of the interviews. I can almost recite what they are going to say before they even start.

That's true at all places. Coaches are all given a manual titled "Coaching Speak" when they get their first coaching job. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

three hog night

I hardly ever read what the coaches say.   I go to the uncut interviews of the players and that is the best source.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

gmarv

i enjoyed reading thru this thread,this is why hogville gets my attention
everyday.

three hog night

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2014, 02:15:38 pm

BA stats that show how the injury affected him and how he improved the last 3 games as he healed.
ULL
Arkansas   C/ATT   YDS   AVG   TD   INT
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Arkansas   C/ATT   YDS   AVG   TD   INT
Allen            9/17   125   7.4     2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?   

ChitownHawg

In Chicago they have a saying - "It is Spring and even Cub fans can dream of championships."

It is Spring and even Hog fans can dream of championships!  I would hate to be a fan or friend of a fan who has no hope this early into the 2014 season. ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Sounds like another DE we used to have that made it in the NFL... I forget his name Anderson I think. He was a 2* WR that got picked up on the 1st day of the NFL draft during HDN's "fare-un-well" tour..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: locusbug on March 23, 2014, 10:04:07 am
In Chicago they have a saying - "It is Spring and even Cub fans can dream of championships."

It is Spring and even Hog fans can dream of championships!  I would hate to be a fan or friend of a fan who has no hope this early into the 2014 season. ;D

Word.. +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Anyone else get the feeling that by keeping KM at RB, the coaches (BB?) are sending the others a message?............"I'm less than pleased, so butch up".

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 23, 2014, 12:58:44 pm
Anyone else get the feeling that by keeping KM at RB, the coaches (BB?) are sending the others a message?............"I'm less than pleased, so butch up".

All they do is praise JWill, and both AC and KM were suspended for a week in January, so I don't necessarily see that.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2014, 01:08:08 pm
All they do is praise JWill, and both AC and KM were suspended for a week in January, so I don't necessarily see that.

Yeah.  But if they just want to get KM's speed in there, could they not do that with him playing safety?  BB is old school, so I can't imagine that getting him 6-8-10 touches a game would prevent him from playing defense.  And if there is another FS that he's comfortable enough to name a starter right now, then he'd be just as comfortable letting him sub for KM while he gets a blow.

It just seems a little, I don't know, 'on purpose' for lack of a better term.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 23, 2014, 01:20:46 pm
Yeah.  But if they just want to get KM's speed in there, could they not do that with him playing safety?  BB is old school, so I can't imagine that getting him 6-8-10 touches a game would prevent him from playing defense.  And if there is another FS that he's comfortable enough to name a starter right now, then he'd be just as comfortable letting him sub for KM while he gets a blow.

That is the strange part. The kid has talent so you use him for only 10 plays a game. And as people have pointed out safety is definitely a need. Actually lot more critical than the RB position. Especially if KW is going to take on KS' plays from last year.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 23, 2014, 01:20:46 pm

I was in the camp of wanting KM's speed at safety, either the rest of his game doesn't fit the position, or they have others there. I don't see him getting more than 10 touches, especially if we pass it more efficiently. We'll know this fall, hopefully it's all good.

The_Iceman

Quote from: three hog night on March 23, 2014, 09:32:42 am
Do you see a trend here?   

In the 3 games before the injury and the 4 games played after his first buy week to really recover from his shoulder issues, he was:
57% Completion, 10 TD's, 4 Int's.

In the 4 games immediately following his shoulder injury without time to heal and really practice with his receivers, Allen was:
39% Completion, 3 TD's, 6 Int's

three hog night

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2014, 01:27:41 pm
I was in the camp of wanting KM's speed at safety, either the rest of his game doesn't fit the position, or they have others there. I don't see him getting more than 10 touches, especially if we pass it more efficiently. We'll know this fall, hopefully it's all good.

If Collins is supposed to run inside more, then we will have more risk of injury.  Jwill beefed up more so he is getting prepared for more physical running too.  I think we will need all 3 of them, but there is something odd with not using him considering how weak we are at Safety.

LZH

three hog night

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 23, 2014, 01:41:36 pm
In the 3 games before the injury and the 4 games played after his first buy week to really recover from his shoulder issues, he was:
57% Completion, 10 TD's, 4 Int's.

In the 4 games immediately following his shoulder injury without time to heal and really practice with his receivers, Allen was:
39% Completion, 3 TD's, 6 Int's

Yes that is a serviceable QB when he is healthy.   Petrino and Garrick raved about him.  Chaney thinks he is good and has a credible opinion.   I think BA will run the offense just fine but i am not saying he is going to be ALL SEC or a star....I will be happy if he just runs the offense.

three hog night

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 23, 2014, 01:44:16 pm
Look at who we played...............those numbers are misleading.

So Ole Miss, Misstake and LSU suck?