Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowan out for spring

Started by MP24, March 21, 2014, 01:54:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MP24

January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

PorkRinds

These guys have to live up to the high standards set for them, including academics.  Sucks for them though.

ricepig

Dean won't be missed, but I keep expecting big things from Cowan and there's always a set back.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 02:02:51 pm
Dean won't be missed, but I keep expecting big things from Cowan and there's always a set back.

how do you know?  depth is depth and ish can happen.

costs us a roster spot. 

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 21, 2014, 02:27:04 pm
how do you know?  depth is depth and ish can happen.

costs us a roster spot. 

We still needed to clean out some cap space, I don't think we were to the 85 number yet. An if someone who has been there two years can't figure out how to stay eligible, do you think they really were going to contribute?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 02:33:52 pm
We still needed to clean out some cap space, I don't think we were to the 85 number yet. An if someone who has been there two years can't figure out how to stay eligible, do you think they really were going to contribute?

lots of time and energy spent on the kid.  hate to see it for naught.

Wildhog

Good luck to Dean. 

Cowan needs to get his ish together.  We need him to step up this year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

I realize it takes some tremendous dedication for any player to put in the hours they do to practice, study film, train, etc. in addition to maintaining their studies. It's a very tough balancing act. That being said, there always seems to be someone who for whatever reason(s) lets the grades slide or take a backseat to the nonacademic stuff. By now it should be very clear to EVERY player that CBB and the staff are serious about the grades and aren't going to tolerate any one slacking off his studies. I just hope Cowan gets his grades back in line.

As far as Dean is concerned best of luck.

Hog_Fink

don't think he was rly dedicated.. couldn't ever get his weight under control
sad cuz the kid has tons of talent.

regi

razorback44

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2014, 02:33:52 pm

We were already at 85.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Uncommon

Quote from: razorback44 on March 21, 2014, 09:12:10 pm
We were already at 85.
Correct.  We were at 65 with Dean for the Spring and we will add 20 signees in the summer.  Without Dean, we'll be at 84 for the Summer.  Although, don't be surprised if walk-on Fullback Chris Jones earns that last scholarship this Spring (barring any transfers/signees don't qualify academically).

Nipsey Mussle

I think being offered as a sophomore was the worst thing for Dean.

secneahog

Wilson.
Hatcher.
Hollister.
Cornelius.
Drew Morgan.
Jojo.

I'll take it.

Cowan has been in college long enough to have his grades right.
Props to Bielema. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Perhaps I am dead wrong but doesn't a player have to keep a certain GPA to stay on the team per NCAA regulations and the HC has nothing to do with keeping him or not.  About the only thing the HC can do is pressure the young man to not let himself get to that position.  I am not sure but that's my opinion.

870hogfan

Quote from: secneahog on March 21, 2014, 09:42:26 pm
Wilson.
Hatcher.
Hollister.
Cornelius.
Drew Morgan.
Jojo.

I'll take it.

Props to Bielema.

Kendrick Edwards too.

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent that he is ready for Fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on March 22, 2014, 07:25:03 pm
Perhaps I am dead wrong but doesn't a player have to keep a certain GPA to stay on the team per NCAA regulations and the HC has nothing to do with keeping him or not.  About the only thing the HC can do is pressure the young man to not let himself get to that position.  I am not sure but that's my opinion.
Yes. CBB is making him sit out so he doesn't get to that point where he has no choice but to leave the team or transfer.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

PygmalionEffect

Wilson.
Hatcher.
Hollister.
Cornelius.
Drew Morgan.
Jojo.

I'll take it.

Props to Bielema.

Really?

A guy that was injured all last year, and a guy that has fumble issues, finished off by a handful of guys that were really good in high school.

Low expectations....... the key to a long marriage.

kind of loses it's magic for some reason though when it comes to winning SEC football games.

I'm pretty sure that on paper that is the worst pre-season WR line up in the SEC.  Maybe a couple will step up this year.  Doesn't look like it's going to be Cowan.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on March 22, 2014, 10:30:37 pm
Really?

A guy that was injured all last year, and a guy that has fumble issues, finished off by a handful of guys that were really good in high school.

kind of loses it's magic for some reason though when it comes to winning SEC football games.

I'm pretty sure that on paper that is the worst pre-season WR line up in the SEC.  Maybe a couple will step up this year.  Doesn't look like it's going to be Cowan.

Losing any TE in this team hurts.  Also those saying Cowan in the doghouse is not bad is completely mistaken.  This was a kid that started to get it late in the season and we needed him this year.  Him and hatcher were our real only receivers with any hog experience.

Boarcephus

Kind of glanced at it but the paper this morning said Dean needed to keep a 12 hour load and didn't do it. Might be wrong but don't think I am.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 23, 2014, 08:25:31 pm
Kind of glanced at it but the paper this morning said Dean needed to keep a 12 hour load and didn't do it. Might be wrong but don't think I am.

That is probably correct, that keeps him a full time student.  I don't know for sure but I bet in his loi and scholarship that is a must.

secneahog

Really?

Yes really.    I know Wilson showed very good promise when he was healthy.  So him coming off a injury isn't going to change my mind about his upcoming production.    He was able to rehab his knee the right way, which is huge.

Hatcher has the potential to break out. We saw flashes of it in games last year. Not to worried about his fumbling because the speed of the game will slow down for him this year.

Morgan was getting a lot of raves from coaches last year.  Hopefully year 2 will be good to him. Learning the play book and working with BA alot should help his timing.  Of course working with Herbert year 2 will be big.

Cornelius seems to be a stud. Coaches are giving him the highest of praises. I loved his highlight film when we first got on him. Catches everything. Big hands. Does ALOT of things right.

Hollister fits the bill also by the coaches.  Big guy who catches everything.  Body control is great. Speed is good. Again juco highlight film was great. Very coach able,  humble guy.

Edwards 6'6 catches at its highest point.  Go get it in year 1. Slow off the ball, needs to work on his hand slapping off the ball. But great upside. Red zone nightmare.

Jojo ....athlete.  very curious to see how he balls. Word is guy is explosive.  Joe Adams kinda guy.  Time will tell.

Hawkins has the burning speed.. can he be our Jarius wright? .. I hope so.  Needs to show up.

So yeah I like our lineup. With our threats at TE I think we have a good wr core.

three hog night

Wilson.
Hatcher.
Hollister.
Cornelius.
Drew Morgan.
Jojo.

I'll take it.

Props to Bielema.

Wilson and Hatcher can be go to guys that are better than Horton and Herndon last year.  Hatcher started taking over the last 4 games.  Cowan was my 3rd guy I was counting on, so it hurts to lose him for spring...he needed it.   I am disappointed in him for getting in this predicament.

Hollister is a bug juco kid that could do well as a possession WR that we did NOT have last year.

Morgan is an oddity in that he played, gained experience, yet did not have stats to build off of.   Will he be a real option this year?

The Freshman JoJo and Cornelius could have all the talent in the world; but how are they going to deal with physical press coverage?   We should give the freshman a break on expectations and accept anything we get from them as a bonus.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: secneahog on March 24, 2014, 09:37:52 am
Yes really.    I know Wilson showed very good promise when he was healthy.  So him coming off a injury isn't going to change my mind about his upcoming production.    He was able to rehab his knee the right way, which is huge.

Hatcher has the potential to break out. We saw flashes of it in games last year. Not to worried about his fumbling because the speed of the game will slow down for him this year.

Morgan was getting a lot of raves from coaches last year.  Hopefully year 2 will be good to him. Learning the play book and working with BA alot should help his timing.  Of course working with Herbert year 2 will be big.

Cornelius seems to be a stud. Coaches are giving him the highest of praises. I loved his highlight film when we first got on him. Catches everything. Big hands. Does ALOT of things right.

Hollister fits the bill also by the coaches.  Big guy who catches everything.  Body control is great. Speed is good. Again juco highlight film was great. Very coach able,  humble guy.

Edwards 6'6 catches at its highest point.  Go get it in year 1. Slow off the ball, needs to work on his hand slapping off the ball. But great upside. Red zone nightmare.

Jojo ....athlete.  very curious to see how he balls. Word is guy is explosive.  Joe Adams kinda guy.  Time will tell.

Hawkins has the burning speed.. can he be our Jarius wright? .. I hope so.  Needs to show up.

So yeah I like our lineup. With our threats at TE I think we have a good wr core.

Hawkins?  I forgot about him.   He has an opportunity now with Cowan out- will he seize it?
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: three hog night on March 24, 2014, 09:39:51 am
Hawkins?  I forgot about him.   He has an opportunity now with Cowan out- will he seize it?

I thought Hawkins became lost in the attrition category? 

trashcan maN

Really?

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles-lost

Keon lost one fumble against South Carolina. Could you please tell me when he fumbled another? According to the above site he fumbled less than 4 times and only lost 1.

Also, WR is a position that a true freshman can come in and have an impact. I understand having a wait and see attitude, but why do you have to poo poo our WR by making things up?

three hog night

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

This is Hawkins year . Either he shines or likely transfers . hopefully he has put on weight and got  strong enough to get off against press coverage . He and Wilson both are super fast . Now he needs to do something with that speed or he will be lost in the charts
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins