Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Thread - 2014 Edition

Started by jbcarol, March 20, 2014, 06:54:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawgs

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 07, 2014, 10:37:41 pm
The better team with the best player won this game. that PG Uconn has is the real deal. the Huskies beat Michigan State, Florida and KY all in a row.they deserve to be national camps. they flat out earn it. young Kevin Ollie is one hell of a coach.this was no fluke. i saw this Uconn team beat Tiger high 3 times this year. Twice in the city of Memphis. that's one reason i was pulling for them tonight.
Yes sir!

TheRazorback500

UConn played Hawgball to beat UK tonight. This is what Mike's shooting for. I hope he gets there.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

latrops

Quote from: wupigsuey on April 07, 2014, 10:44:06 pm
musta missed it. not sure it would have mattered but it looked good in the first half

They played a fair amount of zone in the 2nd half....the game slowed down tremendously.  UK had the pace they wanted and had a couple of chances to take the lead....they just didn't make those shots or freethrows.  It seemed that every time they reeled UCONN in and had it down to one possession, UCONN would respond with a mini-run to get it back out to 5+.  UK just never got over the hump in this one.

hoglady

Not many Championship games are won by a team that shoots what ? 13/24 from the line.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: latrops on April 07, 2014, 10:49:59 pm
They played a fair amount of zone in the 2nd half....the game slowed down tremendously.  UK had the pace they wanted and had a couple of chances to take the lead....they just didn't make those shots or freethrows.  It seemed that every time they reeled UCONN in and had it down to one possession, UConn would respond with a mini-run to get it back out to 5+.  UK just never got over the hump in this one.

No one will question it, but I don't think that game was Cal's crowning coaching moment.  If they recognized the quickness difference, and went to a zone earlier and stuck with it most of the game, I think they would have won.  They lost it in the first few minutes when Uconn got up 10, because KY's guards looked in shock that UConn could be that quick, and they were fighting their way back the entire game. 

They made a big run at the end of the first half when they went zone, and then for whatever reason, Cal didn't stick with it in the second half.  In fairness, when Boat and Napier are so quick that they can get off their shots regardless of who KY puts on them, and make them, that's a tall order to overcome. 

Once again, a true PG proves to be a huge difference maker in the NCAAT.  No shock there.... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Fatty McGee

I don't know that a "true PG" was the deal.  Napier only had 3 assists, and they only had 8 as a team.  It seemed more like an experience difference than anything.  Took awhile for the Harrison twins to figure out how to use their size to negate the quickness advantage.  Plus just big shot making.  Wasn't really a lot of breaking down the defense for the amazing pass happening.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 08, 2014, 08:45:44 am
I don't know that a "true PG" was the deal.  Napier only had 3 assists, and they only had 8 as a team.  It seemed more like an experience difference than anything.  Took awhile for the Harrison twins to figure out how to use their size to negate the quickness advantage.  Plus just big shot making.  Wasn't really a lot of breaking down the defense for the amazing pass happening.

OK Fatty.   ::)   So the fact that as a PG he was handling the ball, stealing the ball, disrupting the perimeter play of KY, AND an imminent threat to score on ANYONE on the court didn't make any difference?  He even rebounded the ball several times. 

Hey...when you score a game high 22 pts, why pass a lot?  ;)   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Fatty McGee

I'm just saying that it wasn't a traditional, break down the offense and distribute kind of point guard game.  When I think "true PG play" that's what I think of, not a point guard shooting that much.  But that's just me. 

None of that means Napier isn't a great guard and can't do those things, it's just that was not what lost the game.  What Arkansas doesn't have is ANYONE but Madden who can make a move and take someone off the dribble.  That's what kills us.

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 08, 2014, 09:01:38 am
I'm just saying that it wasn't a traditional, break down the offense and distribute kind of point guard game.  When I think "true PG play" that's what I think of, not a point guard shooting that much.  But that's just me. 

None of that means Napier isn't a great guard and can't do those things, it's just that was not what lost the game.  What Arkansas doesn't have is ANYONE but Madden who can make a move and take someone off the dribble.  That's what kills us.

Fair enough.  I view it more as a quickness thing.  Because they couldn't handle him defensively, he really didn't have a need to distribute as much.  He could get his shot virtually any time.  If KY had someone that quick, then maybe he would have been forced to distribute it more often. 

The main thing was...he could break down the defense at will, and his quickness disrupted KY all game long on defense as well.  To me..those are equally important aspects of being an effective point guard. 

Without him...I doubt Uconn wins that game.  Even with Cauley-Stein, I'm not sure KY does much better.  It's Napier with the ball in his hands that drove Uconn...start to finish.   

Dr. Starcs

Kentucky played nearly all zone the second half.

ronmahony

Napier is a great guard no doubt, but I still believe UK would have won with a healthy Cauley-Stein and a healthy Randle. They usually scored and got the foul a lot when they took it inside. And that's what UK usually does, but not so much last night. For the most part all Randle did was hang aroun bring the ball down, then drift around the perimeter.  That is not the way he usually plays.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

hogsanity

Poor FT shooting has now cost Crapilari 3 NC's. One at Umass, one at Memphis when they lost to Kansas, and last night.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

root_hawg

UConn and Mike Anderson in the same sentence comparing anything is an insult to Uconn sorry

hoglady

Napier is a great player. But Kentucky beat Kentucky last night. Even with Napier's good play, Randall not 100%, Cauley-Stein out - all they had to do was hit their free throws.
I doubt there's ever been a team win a NC shooting that poorly from the FT line.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jbcarol

John Clay with a few numbers from Kentucky's loss to Connecticut in the national finals Monday night:

Quote* Kentucky was 13-of-24 from the foul line. Louisville was 13-of-23 from the foul line in its 74-69 loss to Kentucky in the Midwest Regional final in Indianapolis.

* UK's 54.2 percent from the foul line was the eighth time this season the Cats have shot less than 60 percent at the line. Kentucky went 4-4 in those eight games. [25-7 in the others.]

* Kentucky averaged 0.894 points per possession, lowest since the loss to Arkansas at Rupp Arena on Feb. 27 when the Cats averaged just 0.854 points per possession.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo  8h
Congrats to L'ville? Cardinals are 2nd team ever to beat eventual nat champs 3x in a single season (beat UConn by double digits 3x this yr)

UofL lost twice to UK who lost twice to Arkansas who ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

root_hawg

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops ·14 hrs
Florida No. 3 in final USA Today coaches poll.

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops ·10 hrs
@TPScholl there is no postseason AP poll. Just USA Today.

jbcarol

Jerry Palm ‏@jppalmCBS ·18 hrs
Been tracking RPI for 21 seasons. UConn is the lowest ranked RPI team to win title in that time and first outside top 20 (22)

Jerry Palm ‏@jppalmCBS ·18 hrs
Also, the No. 1 team in the RPI entering the tournament has only won twice in the last 21 years.  Duke in 2001 and Kentucky in 1996.

jbcarol

Ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas all year long...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24511062/what-if-we-let-a-computer-select-the-ncaa-tournament-field

If Jeff Sagarin's rankings had been used rather than this year's Selection Committee, Arkansas could have been an 11-seed playing their first game against 6-seed UConn.

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS ·2h
Such sad news this morning. Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne's young friend, has died from cancer. She was 8 years old. http://cbsprt.co/1hrNi85

jbcarol

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken ·Apr 7
UConn has win (sic) titles in San Antonio, Houston and now Dallas. I guess they mess with Texas.

jbcarol

David Jones ‏@DaveJonesUFbeat ·Apr 7
The #SEC with just 3 teams, w/payouts  per round (unit), accumulated $2.5 million for league in NCAA tourney. Most for just 3 bids. #Gators

jbcarol

Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer ·17 hrs
RT @KevinGArmstrong: UConn wastes no time honoring Shabazz Napier. His No. 13 was just retired on Huskies of Honor wall inside Gampel

jbcarol

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 11:20:31 am
JB is determined to get this thread to 100 pages before it dies!  ;)

JK! Really enjoy all the information you post! Keep it up!

Just checked. It would be second only to Mike Anderson [Merged]. 

jbcarol

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV ·3h
Just crushed & devastated as I was talking to Matt @AdorableLacey Dad about his #ANGELLACEY May she RIP pic.twitter.com/VbzoeNPdHH

dhornjr1

jbcarol

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 09, 2014, 11:28:48 am
Thanks again for your work jb and a big +1.

It was a pleasure this year.

Hoping next year the thread will half size or less as the Hog games will get their own threads.

jbcarol

Bill Clinton ‏@billclinton ·Apr 7
Great night watching #NCAAFinals with @JeffLongUA, Coach Richardson, Coach Sutton, Jerry Jones & 43. pic.twitter.com/RBvp7W2gMh

jbcarol

Skip Smith ‏@WCSmithIV ·Apr 7
Only in the US of A brother: "CloydRivers: Meanwhile at the National Championship. Merica. pic.twitter.com/rHosTomSFa"

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops ·Apr 7
Attendance of 79.238 a new championship game record.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops ·Apr 7
Florida fans can take solace it lost lost two of its three games this season to the eventual national champion UConn Huskies.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi ·13 hrs
Well, the first 2015 bracket is off to Bristol to be posted Wednesday. Last year's equivalent hit on about two-thirds of the eventual field.

P.S.: No idea if that's a good result. Hard enough to project teams at this point. Will update again after April 27th NBA entry deadline.

First Four. "@nowifebill: @ESPNLunardi Arkansas gonna break it's drought?"

Great movie. "@ClaytonRoland: @ESPNLunardi Hoosiers??"

Not in year one. "@gray_robertson: Does Bruce Pearl sneak Auburn in? @ESPNLunardi"

jbcarol

Kevin Duffy ‏@KevinRDuffy ·24 hrs
How the hell does Kentucky get a first place vote in the coaches poll?

UConn basketball beat writer

jbcarol

Kevin Duffy ‏@KevinRDuffy ·Apr 8
@DrewzZzy_FD without knowing anything on Daniels right now, I'd say he leaves

Kevin Duffy ‏@KevinRDuffy ·Apr 8
@DrewzZzy_FD boatright wants to go, I think, but he's not a first rounder so i think he's back

jbcarol

Name: Devon Scott
Team: University of Dayton (College Basketball)
Charges: Domestic Violence, Assault
Story:

University of Dayton center Devon Scott was charged (April 2014) in Dayton, Ohio.

Scott, 20, has been removed from team activities following this incident.

Scott, a sophomore, averaged 3.4 points and 2.7 rebounds in 35 games last season.

http://arrestnation.com/2014/04/08/university-of-dayton-center-devon-scott-charged

Flyers got 10-12 mpg from the bigger big.

jbcarol

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/barnhart-calls-chapman-tweet-absolute-garbage

Barnhart in an interview with a local TV station call the following Rex Chapman tweet, "absolute garbage".

@rexchapman: Was messin' 'round on Sat nite re: Cal. But word is — win or lose 2nite — it's a #DoneDeal...Cal 2 La-La-Land 2 coach Mamba's Lakers. #NoBS

jbcarol

NCAA March Madness ‏@marchmadness ·Apr 7
CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES
11, UCLA
8, Kentucky
5, Indiana
5, North Carolina
4, Duke
4, UConn

jbcarol

One wag noted, even before the final game, that Jim Calhoun has been holding court all weekend and needs to step back and allow Kevin Ollie his place as the current UConn head coach.

jbcarol

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jbcarol

Adam Himmelsbach ‏@AdamHimmelsbach  May 23
Column on 3 sisters & a touching gesture at Churchill Downs to honor Lacey, 8-yr-old Mich St fan who died of cancer: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/columnists/himmelsbach/2014/05/23/adam-himmelsbach-remembering-lacey-racehorse ...

jbcarol

Wisconsin Basketball ‏@BadgerMBB

If only... #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave pic.twitter.com/I3CSXgLDfH

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jbcarol

Not Jerry Tipton @NotJerryTipton  ·  9h
Keep hearing Big Ten fans say "No way two SEC teams get in to a four team playoff!"

I beg to differ.