Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Thread - 2014 Edition

Started by jbcarol, March 20, 2014, 06:54:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

But, But, But aren't they THE Ohio state University? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA! I worked in and like Columbus Ohio just fine but their arrogance and pompous attitude there towards THE Ohio State University was sickening. I can't stand THE Ohio State University.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

In the first half Pitt hit over 62% from the field, 3-6 from 3.

The Buffaloes shot under 30% from the field, 1-7 from 3.

Both teams hit all 7 of their FTAs.

Pitt committed only one turnover to ten for Colorado.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ricepig

Buffet was point shaving in that OSU/Dayton game, he was worried........

popcornhog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 20, 2014, 01:33:17 pm
Mine too. So far so good. I knew picking against the Big ten was a good idea. Anytime with the exception of MSU I have Big ten picked to lose against a similar seed or really even against another power conference.

I like Wisconsin and Nebraska and Michigan's chances too.

Ohio State didn't impress me this year though.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 20, 2014, 01:33:17 pm
Mine too. So far so good. I knew picking against the Big ten was a good idea. Anytime with the exception of MSU I have Big ten picked to lose against a similar seed or really even against another power conference.

My perfect bracket in the billion dollar challenge is about to die with Colorado though.
WPS

LRHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 20, 2014, 01:32:22 pm
Last 3 shots were layups into heavy traffic with contact.  The refs let all three go with no foul calls.  Let the players decide the game. 

SEC officials....hope you were watching.

SO MUCH THIS. It's why I felt like if we got into the dance we would do well.

Break & Run

Quote from: popcornhog on March 20, 2014, 01:42:09 pm
My perfect bracket in the billion dollar challenge is about to die with Colorado though.

That sucks.  I never pick the Buffs.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

jbcarol

Anyone have Dayton and Harvard for a billion?

Still early

Crimson 22  Bearcast 15  6:32  TV to
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Break & Run on March 20, 2014, 01:43:24 pm
That sucks.  I never pick the Buffs.

Colorado used to have a respectable athletic program, but no more.  They used to be a perennial top 25 football team, had a great coach, then they had a scandal involving their coach, fired him, and ever since they've been putrid.

Wait.....that sounds familiar.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Final  American 35  Wisconsin 75

American scored 18 points in the last 29:30

Adam Stokes

16% for Dayton and 30% for Harvard.  While I'm sure people who picked Dayton are more likely to pick Harvard, but if there was no correlation it would be 5% of brackets.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 20, 2014, 01:47:33 pm
16% for Dayton and 30% for Harvard.  While I'm sure people who picked Dayton are more likely to pick Harvard, if there was no correlation it would be 5% of brackets.

Some might have that hate for the major Ohio state universities (say Dayton or Xavier fans) but otherwise not much correlation.

ricepig

I've got Harvard, but it isn't a confident selection.

jbcarol

Kilpatrick with another 3

Harvard 24  UC 21 4:00

He has over 2,000 career points

Kevin

But Dayton was the last a10 let in. They don't deserve to be in. Sarcasm in full affect
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Beaverfever

Quote from: LRHawg on March 20, 2014, 01:42:54 pm
SO MUCH THIS. It's why I felt like if we got into the dance we would do well.
Yep, I really think the tourney setting would be our best stage and we would have been a sleeper.  The SC game was a disgrace to post-season basketball. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Wow.  My accountant coaches Western Michigan.  Or maybe my plumber.

Dude doesn't look like a basketball coach.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TexArkHogFan

Wait a minute.  I thought the B1G was supposed to be a superior basketball conference with over half of their teams in the big dance.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

jbcarol

jbcarol

Beaverfever

Quote from: Kevin on March 20, 2014, 01:52:50 pm
But Dayton was the last a10 let in. They don't deserve to be in. Sarcasm in full affect
I couldn't understand why they were even on the bubble.  They had a great resume. 

ricepig

I can still win for the worse bracket, it pays pretty good money.......

jbcarol

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 20, 2014, 01:32:22 pm
Last 3 shots were layups into heavy traffic with contact.  The refs let all three go with no foul calls.  Let the players decide the game. 

Are you suggesting that fouls were clearly committed, yet not called? If the ref sees fouls and does not call them, he has decided the outcome just as surely as if he had blown the whistle.

Hog fans who remember Hogs v Indiana St in 79 sure as heck wish the officials would have blown a couple of whistles in the closing minute. Cost us a Final Four slot, that's all.

jbcarol

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2014, 02:01:29 pm
I can still win for the worse bracket, it pays pretty good money.......

I should have picked American and maybe Colorado.

jbcarol

Anyone else like the literal floor level camera shot.

jbcarol

LRHawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 20, 2014, 02:02:24 pm
Are you suggesting that fouls were clearly committed, yet not called? If the ref sees fouls and does not call them, he has decided the outcome just as surely as if he had blown the whistle.

Hog fans who remember Hogs v Indiana St in 79 sure as heck wish the officials would have blown a couple of whistles in the closing minute. Cost us a Final Four slot, that's all.

I have to agree with this notion, as "let them play" does invariably end up being advantageous for one side. Another good point that was made in another post on here was that the speed of the game increasing seems to be partly why the calls have gotten worse. Generally speaking, I would rather have a referee hold off on a call he's not sure happened, versus blowing one in anticipation. All these fouls break the game up and make it harder to watch, in my opinion.

jbcarol

Harvard was 6-10 from 3.

Cincinnati had 8 more FGAs but hit 35% overall.

jbcarol

Sir Charles: If Cincinnati does not turn Harvard over they will not win the game.

HamIAm

jbcarol

jbcarol

Verne: ... for Western Michigan has no numbers (threads needle to cutting player for wide open layup). Oh! That was pretty.

jbcarol

LRRandy

Quote from: popcornhog on March 20, 2014, 01:41:16 pm
I like Wisconsin and Nebraska and Michigan's chances too.

Ohio State didn't impress me this year though.
the Buckeyes have been a flawed team all year. No big man. No consistent offense. It caught them today.
I grew up loving the Flyers as much as tOhio State. I've been to more games at UD arena than in Columbus. I did want Crafts layup to go in but oh well. The Buckeyes were exposed for the over hyped mediocre team that they were this year.Good job Flyers. Good night Buckeyes.
This is fun, isn't it.

jbcarol

Hog-Corleone

There goes my billion dollar bracket.  First effin game...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

jbcarol

Four game, four channels and not one showing live basketball at the moment.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 20, 2014, 02:02:24 pm

No, that's not what I'm suggesting at all.  I'm saying that there was contact but in each instance it appeared to be the offensive person driving into heavy traffic and hoping to draw a foul.  In all three instances - especially the last one at the buzzer - the defenders did a good job of either going straight up or even giving ground.  What I'm saying is that too many times wild drives into traffic with nowhere to go are bailed out by the refs calling a block.  No blocks were committed this time and no blocks were called.

The no call in the UA/ISU game in '79 was on a trip/travel.  A little different than an out-of-control drive into traffic.

jbcarol

jbcarol

GS99

A lot of people were picking Dayton to win.  Which is why I didn't.  Usually when "everyone" is picking an upset, it's not going to happen.

Yep, there's goes my billion too.

HamIAm

Oregon BYU might get interesting. Big guys getting a little pushy. Intentional foul on retaliation by BYU.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Oregon just started on offensive possession by throwing it in directly under their basket rather than behind the end line.  Ref, dazzled by the uniform, did not see a thing.

jbcarol

popcornhog

Started 2/2 with Wisconsin and Dayton.

Pitt did me in with game 3.

Anybody still 3/3?
WPS