Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Completely different Hog team this time against Cal

Started by Rbill, March 19, 2014, 11:21:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506134

Seriously think about how different we are compared to that box score.
-Both Williams and Harris got more minutes than Coty Clarke. Harris had 23 minutes to Clarke's 11.
-Scott had as many minutes as Gulley
-Kingsley didn't even play

We only lost by 8 points and we were outrebounded 48-32 without even playing Kingsley and hardly playing Coty.

popcornhog

Agreed. And Solomon may not play.

They looked pretty good tonight, although I think we can beat them.
WPS

Rbill

If they lose a Solomon and we add a Kingsley and a Clarke then this should be a very good game.

Wild Bill Hog

Road game against a good rebounding team - makes me nervous.

b-ball coach

We all know that we have spilt personalities on the road. Alabama road hogs vs Kentucky road hogs is the real battle to be fought. If the determined, tough, make big shots road team that won @Vandy and Kentucky shows up; we will handle Cal. If the team that rolled out at Alabama shows up, then we will finish our season in Berkley. I'm proud of this team for battling and not giving up after the rough start to the conf schedule. Solid job by coaches not letting them fold up shop.

High Octane Hog

Danny J

I like our chances because:

A...we are playing loose
B...we know what to expect and this team has some swagger about them and likely wants revenge

I only wish the crowd would be bigger than it is going to be. This team plays better at times in front of larger crowds.

code red

Road game = Loss.  Have they improved??  Yes.  Enuff?? No.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Breems

Cal is a pretty good team, so we actually have a decent shot.

It's the really crappy teams that you have to worry about with Arkansas road games.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Tooth

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: code red on March 20, 2014, 09:38:27 am
Road game = Loss.  Have they improved??  Yes.  Enuff?? No.

I love how one bad road loss negates the three previous wins.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

dbhog

Breems

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 19, 2014, 11:31:43 pm
Road game against a good rebounding team - makes me nervous.

Alabama was a poor rebounding team. Kentucky was an excellent rebounding team.

Shooting well and executing our defense are what matters for us.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

JonClaudeVanHam

If we can avoid slipping into one-on-one games in the half court we can beat most teams. Just play as a team.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

sportster365

I really like our chances on the boards against Cal. Especially so if Richard Solomon is still going to be out with a concussion.

Our last meeting against them we didn't get much production from either Clark nor Portis. Not many nights when both of those guys are kept quiet. We also started Wade, Scott and Gulley which had a combined 5 points on the game.

If they're expecting that same Razorback team from early Nov. then they're in for a rude awakening.

jjdlc

The fact that we lost to this team previously should have our guys at least a little focused on this game.

wildturkey8

Quote from: Breems on March 20, 2014, 09:43:49 am

It's the really crappy teams that you have to worry about with Arkansas road games.
This, +100000.  This is a problem that bedeviled Arkansas for over a decade now.

sportster365

Quote from: Breems on March 20, 2014, 10:14:45 am
Alabama was a poor rebounding team. Kentucky was an excellent rebounding team.

Shooting well and executing our defense are what matters for us.

Rebounding always matters. When Arkansas out-rebounds their opponents our chances of winning catapults much more so than your avg. team. Our uptempo pace leads way for more shot attempts per game than most teams and solidifying rebounds can increase that number while reducing the opponents attempts even more so. You can't beat those odds in this system.

Biggus Piggus

Slow the pace and hold Arkansas to one shot, and we're dead.
[CENSORED]!

Rbill

Quote from: Breems on March 20, 2014, 09:43:49 am

Well said.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Attendance for their game last night, 1,670.  I doubt it's much better for our game, maybe 3,200-4,000 tops.  Empty arenas are what worry me.  Our guys are high energy and when they play in front of empty seats you can see the energy just flow out of them. 

I understand the NIT and giving the higher seeds home games, but they should tweak it and do it for first round only.  It makes sense for first round since turn around time is so short  After that for the second round give it to the team that had the higher attendance in the first round (if both hosted).  This would reward programs whose fans actually care and it would also give the schools a reason to market the he11 out of that first round game. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

razorbackchamps94

lwillin

Quote from: b-ball coach on March 20, 2014, 01:25:18 am
We all know that we have spilt personalities on the road. Alabama road hogs vs Kentucky road hogs is the real battle to be fought. If the determined, tough, make big shots road team that won @Vandy and Kentucky shows up; we will handle Cal. If the team that rolled out at Alabama shows up, then we will finish our season in Berkley. I'm proud of this team for battling and not giving up after the rough start to the conf schedule. Solid job by coaches not letting them fold up shop.
agree

rude1

After watching our last two efforts away from home, I don't have much faith in winning this one. They will punish us on the glass again, if we aren't shooting lights out, we stand no chance IMO.

Rbill

Quote from: rude1 on March 20, 2014, 12:31:13 pm
After watching our last two efforts away from home, I don't have much faith in winning this one. They will punish us on the glass again, if we aren't shooting lights out, we stand no chance IMO.

So much negativity. We're always a 50/50 shot in every game no matter how good or bad the opponent the way I see it. It's impossible to say we'll definitely win, but equally impossible to say no chance. Like Breems said we seem more likely to play well against better competition than against bad teams. If Qualls and/or Bell bring their x-factor to the game we always have a good shot.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: Rbill on March 21, 2014, 04:21:43 pm
So much negativity. We're always a 50/50 shot in every game no matter how good or bad the opponent the way I see it. It's impossible to say we'll definitely win, but equally impossible to say no chance. Like Breems said we seem more likely to play well against better competition than against bad teams. If Qualls and/or Bell bring their x-factor to the game we always have a good shot.
not 50/50 on the road away from Walton, I would say bout a 10 percent chance of winning

hogmolar

I think this is a huge game for moving forward in Hog Hoops. If we can win, CMA can say look guys at where we were before and where we are now. We went in the road and beat a team we lost too early in the year. This shows what we are capable of if you buy into what we are doing here. Too me this could be a huge building block win with a group of younger impact players.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HoginTN

This Cal team will want to swap punches with us in transition. Especially having Solomon out of the game. They will want to speed the game up significantly. So this one ought to be fun to watch.

The key to me would be to make sure we put a body, either BP of Moses, on David Kravish. He is the next leading rebounder aside from Solomon with 7rpg. He is 6'9'', at 210ish, so a slight disadvantage in size against either of our guys. If we can attack him, and possibly get him in foul trouble... that will be a huge advantage for us. It would put alot of pressure on their shooting guards to extend their range.  :razorback:

gmarv

i think this was the game were portis apologized for getting
punked on the boards.he should be ready for this one.
we just need to shoot reasonable well and we have a good
chance to advance.

threeNout

virtually a whole year has passed, so both teams should be different.

How the game is called,  how many open looks do we get, and how well we shoot, from 3 and the FT line,  those are they keys.

if we have enough guys stroking it, and they don't call ticky tack fouls for good defense, we win.

Danny J

Quote from: threeNout on March 22, 2014, 09:53:57 pm
virtually a whole year has passed, so both teams should be different.

How the game is called,  how many open looks do we get, and how well we shoot, from 3 and the FT line,  those are they keys.

if we have enough guys stroking it, and they don't call ticky tack fouls for good defense, we win.
^^^^ totally agree

If game is called tight out front and they allow them to bang down low we will be hammered. We need to go in with the same game plan we had at UK. Send all our guys to the boards and make our FT's.

mhuff

We need to play Portis and Kingsley together..... Then we will see if we get outbounded so badly.

DeltaBoy

We need to punch Callie in the Mouth and unleash 40 minuets of hades on them. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogFanatic

Do people not think Cal has matured as a team as well? Haha
Arkansas progresses but our opponents remain stagnant?

I know Cal fell off form late in the season but so did the Hogs. We just did it later.

This game hinges on which Razorback team shows up. I am more than nervous because of where it is and WHEN it is. This is a very late tip for a team 2,000 miles from home.

The Hogs CAN win, but if they don't show up motivated they will be crushed.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2014, 10:43:25 am
Slow the pace and hold Arkansas to one shot, and we're dead.

Funny - the way this thing turned out, Arkansas dominated the boards, but gave up so much defense in return that it probably was a worse strategy. Not everybody's basketball system makes defense and rebounding polar opposites.
[CENSORED]!