Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Helmets

Started by YouCrawl_IQuall, March 19, 2014, 02:25:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 22, 2014, 12:44:02 pm
Better believe it.

Zep, your blind hatred has become nauseating... You used to be hilarious, now reading your posts just makes me want to share my meds with you... I won't ever smite you cause you're my hawg, but you're definitely dropping turds in the toilet and leaving them floating...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lahawg1

I don't much care for the flat finish, much prefer the gloss metallic we had a few years ago. Under the lights metal flake is the ticket.

Ā 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: RNHog on March 24, 2014, 12:41:07 pm
You take this way too serious you DA.

WHY are you still in this thread?  You're just a troll, here to stir things up instead of contribute to the debate/conversation.

As for me "taking this too seriously" . . .  it was you who picked this fight.  You came after me. You don't get to poke the bear with a stick and then get P.O.'d when he bites your ass off in retaliation. 

hawgsalot

Whew this turned into a dandy, personally I think it's very very smart for CBB to get out in front of this and tweet it out.  It shows he is indeed consistent in his belief that safety is always a big concern.  Anyone that doesn't see this as a positive or that its  more blow hard, is beyond foolish.  This will play big with the mommas, these days there is more and more concern with concussions and head trama.  It's not going away!  I guarantee you players are also starting to get the picture as well no matter how invincible 18year olds think they are.

RNHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 24, 2014, 06:32:50 pm
WHY are you still in this thread?  You're just a troll, here to stir things up instead of contribute to the debate/conversation.

As for me "taking this too seriously" . . .  it was you who picked this fight.  You came after me. You don't get to poke the bear with a stick and then get P.O.'d when he bites your ass off in retaliation.

Because, does it really matter what color the helmets are if we are winning? You are just another one of those hog fans that will find anything to bitch about. I mean seriously, who cares if they are white or anthracite.

What is there to debate? Guess what, they will probably continue to have white helmets. And you are continue to sit around and bitch about it. Might as well deal with and get out of 1964.

urkillnmesmalls

"Coach, Braylon Mitchell's transponder just went off on that last tackle." 

"Coach, there's nothing we can do about it.  Gus ain't stopping.  Should we call timeout?" 

Man, I cannot believe I'm going to peel back this scab, but does anyone besides me see this being tied into an argument about player safety at some point?

"Now we've got these helmets that are there to warn us when players need to be pulled off the field and tested, and we can't get them off the field."   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine on March 24, 2014, 02:43:25 pm
Zep, your blind hatred has become nauseating... You used to be hilarious, now reading your posts just makes me want to share my meds with you... I won't ever smite you cause you're my hawg, but you're definitely dropping turds in the toilet and leaving them floating...

Meds would be required to continue to praise BB and his body of work here thus far.  It's just extremely frustrating to see we're heading right and squarely into another Danny Ford era and no one seems to be concerned about that.

And I'm not sure where you get 'blind hatred'.  If you know me, then you know I'm not much of a hater.  I don't even hate losing as much as I hate being OK with it.  Losing last year was a fair bet after BP's and JLS's contributions, and I've never said differently.

I don't know how many times I have to say that if BB improves this team and starts winning games, I'll be quiet.  Well, I'll still have to poke fun at him but you know what I mean.  :P

Shorttimer

Since it's been injected into this thread, the Hog brand is the HOG, plain and simple.  Whether it's a white Hog on the red helmet or the red Hog on the white jerseys (or white helmet or the logo at midfield or center court), we are known by one of the most recognizable logos in college athletics.  I think this athletic department understands that and has done an amazing job of standardizing the brand image in a way that previous regimes haven't done.

Moreover, I think the athletic department has done a pretty good job of maintaining the integrity of the Hog brand while simultaneously providing the current and prospective players with a more current look. Personally, I think the anthracite looks cool--but I wish we didn't use it. Ultimately though, the purpose of a uniform is for the QB to know who to throw the ball to and for the defense to know who to tackle.

jabohog

I am a traditionalist and I like the red and white, but I also know the kids wear and play in these so I don't have a problem with them being allowed some variety. Hey, variety is the spice of life so they say.

By the way, I think after leather the first Hog helmets were acually white.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 25, 2014, 09:26:45 am
Meds would be required to continue to praise BB and his body of work here thus far.  It's just extremely frustrating to see we're heading right and squarely into another Danny Ford era and no one seems to be concerned about that.

And I'm not sure where you get 'blind hatred'.  If you know me, then you know I'm not much of a hater.  I don't even hate losing as much as I hate being OK with it.  Losing last year was a fair bet after BP's and JLS's contributions, and I've never said differently.

I don't know how many times I have to say that if BB improves this team and starts winning games, I'll be quiet.  Well, I'll still have to poke fun at him but you know what I mean.  :P

So, what you're saying is, the impact of "Wait til next year" has started to wear off after a few decades?   ;D

You said yourself that you expected us to lose after what happened with BP and JLS, so what dented your spirit so much that you can't give it at least another year to see what happens?  If there wasn't improvement, then there's no way to explain coming one missed assignment from beating LSU, after what we saw with Bama and SCe. 

The question will be...does it carry over?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 10:11:57 am
So, what you're saying is, the impact of "Wait til next year" has started to wear off after a few decades?   ;D

You said yourself that you expected us to lose after what happened with BP and JLS, so what dented your spirit so much that you can't give it at least another year to see what happens?  If there wasn't improvement, then there's no way to explain coming one missed assignment from beating LSU, after what we saw with Bama and SCe. 

The question will be...does it carry over?   

Firing BB now would be an infinitely worse decision than hiring him in the first place....so I'm not in any way suggesting that he be run off, I know better than that.  And folks continually point to the LSU game as an indicator that we improved throughout the season.  I agree that we FINALLY put together a fairly complete game, but an indication of improvement it may not have been at all.  Just as we handed Rutgers and MSU those games, it's no stretch to think LSU damn-near handed us that one - they certainly sleepwalked thru most of it.  The winning play is one thing, but they should have never been on that side of the 50 yd line in the first place.

So, to me, improvement is not really measured in losing games you should have won.  And it sure isn't like BB didn't try, he just couldn't get it done.  Fwiw, BP lost games he should have won, but he had an in-game air about him that instilled confidence - in the players and in us.  BB doesn't seem to have that.  I'm not saying I'm 100% right, just saying that I'm 100% convinced.

Yeah, the "wait til next year" has fer shure worn off.  However, I'm willing to let last year go......but frankly, that's all we have to go on right now.  So if history is the one true fortune-teller, or whatever the saying is, I don't see any reason to get overly excited until we fight and scrap and look like an SEC team at Auburn.  Until then, I'll continue to be fairly disappointed.

EastexHawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 23, 2014, 10:29:41 am
Wrong.

This is one "old timer" that loves these - if they are, indeed, what we will be wearing.

I, and most of the "old timers" I know are not opposed to improved technology or materials being integrated into the uniforms - it's the color thing that gives me (us) a problem.  As long as we stay with red helmets with a white hog, and some combination of red (Cardinal) and white on our jerseys and pants, I'm generally going to be OK with it. 

It's when we go with different helmets (colors) or "anthracite" that we draw the ire of we traditionalists.  Traditional doesn't mean being exactly the same as the uniforms were 40 years ago; it means staying with our "brand", which is the red helmet with white hog, and cardinal and white uni's.  Not that hard to do.

I concur.

EastexHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 10:11:57 am
If there wasn't improvement, then there's no way to explain coming one missed assignment from beating LSU   

You seem to forget almost beating LSU while under the direction of Slappy the Clown in 2012.  That didn't exactly turn out to be a harginger of great things to come.

You may turn out to be right, but losing a close game proves next to nothing.

Ā 

goodguytex

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 01:24:00 pm
You seem to forget almost beating LSU while under the direction of Slappy the Clown in 2012.  That didn't exactly turn out to be a harginger of great things to come.

Really, you actually think comparing 2012 to 2013 is fair? We lost most of our offensive production, almost all in fact, a good deal of our starters on defense. If nothing else, the 2012 LSU game those players actually played the game they should have been playing all year. Last year we were young, playing with a new system, new coaches. Outmatched in almost every way. And things started coming together a little towards the end of the year. Will it continue and start producing wins? We will see. I sure hope so.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 01:24:00 pm

We played better in all of those last four games.  It doesn't prove anything...but it did indicate improvement, which is what many of us wanted to see.  It needs to carry over, because if not...we may get another Bama-esque beat down right out of the gate.   

rusvegashog

Quote from: greasy_corner on March 21, 2014, 03:11:20 pm
This helmet (not the razorback version) is on display where I work.  I got to play around with it a few months ago.  We do the wireless transmitter.
Nobody likes a bragger.

hobhog

Quote from: RNHog on March 25, 2014, 04:52:35 am
Because, does it really matter what color the helmets are if we are winning? You are just another one of those hog fans that will find anything to bitch about. I mean seriously, who cares if they are white or anthracite.

What is there to debate? Guess what, they will probably continue to have white helmets. And you are continue to sit around and bitch about it. Might as well deal with and get out of 1964.

If you dont care about the color, then leave them like they are- red with white Hog. Traditionalist like the helmet we've had for 50 years. Others, such as you, say they dont care what color as long as they win. So the question is, if everyone is happy with them red and white, but half are disgruntled with the change, then why change?

And until someone can quote a player saying he came here because of the new helmet, leave the 17-21 year olds out of it.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on March 25, 2014, 02:52:08 pm
If you dont care about the color, then leave them like they are- red with white Hog. Traditionalist like the helmet we've had for 50 years. Others, such as you, say they dont care what color as long as they win. So the question is, if everyone is happy with them red and white, but half are disgruntled with the change, then why change?

And until someone can quote a player saying he came here because of the new helmet, leave the 17-21 year olds out of it.

Link on the 50% source.

EastexHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 08:30:41 am

"Coach, there's nothing we can do about it.  Gus ain't stopping.  Should we call timeout?" 

Man, I cannot believe I'm going to peel back this scab, but does anyone besides me see this being tied into an argument about player safety at some point?

"Now we've got these helmets that are there to warn us when players need to be pulled off the field and tested, and we can't get them off the field."   

Right, because so many players have keeled over dead on the field.  I've been watching for 46 years and I can recall exactly...one.

By the way, I also know a guy and former teammate who fell over dead from an aneurysm in his mid 20s.  He was tying his shoe at the time.  No one lives forever and sometimes people die, whether they were wearing the right helmet or playing against the HUNH or tying shoes.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2014, 04:07:07 pm
Link on the 50% source.

OK, so now we're playing the semantics game.  His point was that we have two fairly sizable groups on either side of this issue - one to which the changes matter, and everyone else.  Exactly what the percentages are, no one can say for sure.  But both sides are sizable.

His comment stands whether the percentage is 24% or 56%; replace it with "a significant number of fans" if you like.  And though no one outside of the Razorback Foundation (if anyone) has numbers that PROVE this, it stands to common sense that the percentage of revenue represented by those fans is higher than the actual percentage of fans that feel that way, whatever that number is.  This is so because, on the whole, fans who favor the "traditional" red helmets are older and have been season ticket holders longer and contribute more money to the program than the younger members of that population. 

That may not matter to you, but it sure as hell should to the Razorback Foundation.

ricepig

As you said, you really don't know anything. You point of view is just conjecture, I bet 75% of the money donated loves the white/anthracite helmets. See what I did there?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2014, 07:15:34 pm
As you said, you really don't know anything. You point of view is just conjecture, I bet 75% of the money donated loves the white/anthracite helmets. See what I did there?

The difference is I know at least a little bit about what I'm talking about, and have common sense (and some hard facts) on my side. You're a butt-hurt clown waving your arms in a wasted attempt to distract everyone from the obvious truth. 

Any reasonable person capable of critical analysis would agree with my last post (if not necessarily the prior ones, which are more subjective).  Especially, those who read boards like this see the discussions about uniforms and helmets, and develop a sense of the ages of at least some of the posters.  I readily admitted the obvious; I (nor YOU) have the exact numbers.  But that doesn't keep someone with a brain from drawing some fairly obvious conclusions.  And there is some documentation to support it.

For what it's worth, I did conduct a poll a year or two ago asking folks to reply with whether they preferred a red helmet with white hog, white helmet with white hog (what we had in 2012), white helmet with red hog (what was being proposed by some at that point, but we hadn't yet worn those), or if they really didn't care at all.  Plus, I asked them to also include their age in one of four categories: (under 20, 21-30, 31-45, and 46+).  I would never claim that it was a scientifically valid poll (for a variety of reasons), but it did produce the expected results.  The percentage of positive "white helmet" responses decreased as age increased. But, again, anyone who pays attention to the discussions here (and other places) already knows this.

And, it's well documented that net worth (and disposable income) is highly correlated with age:

Clearly, donations to organizations like the Razorback Foundation increase significantly as net worth and disposable income increase (on average).  Therefore, both an aversion to the white helmets and amount donated to the Razorback Foundation are positively correlated with age (i.e., as age increases, so does a preference for red helmets, and the size of booster donations to the program).

And that was my claim - that the powers that be in the Razorback Athletic Department need to be mindful of potential flashpoints among the older group of Hog fans - and messing with some aspects of our brand is one of them.  You may not like it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a real risk.

ricepig

March 25, 2014, 08:40:57 pm #122 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:02:03 pm by ricepig
I'm 55, a BM donor, and I've never heard one person on the suite level complain, or threaten to withhold donations due to the color of a helmet. Did you survey those of us in that level, yeah, that's what I thought. Like I said, you have no data to back up your claim, but I'm sure you'll continue on.

Butt-hurt, what are you 13? I'd expect such from someone that age.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 25, 2014, 04:24:59 pm
Right, because so many players have keeled over dead on the field.  I've been watching for 46 years and I can recall exactly...one.

By the way, I also know a guy and former teammate who fell over dead from an aneurysm in his mid 20s.  He was tying his shoe at the time.  No one lives forever and sometimes people die, whether they were wearing the right helmet or playing against the HUNH or tying shoes.

Well, thanks for the input, but that was meant as a joke, and a play on CBB's stance on player safety.   

Ā 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2014, 08:40:57 pm
I'm 55, a BM donor, and I've never heard one person on the suite level complain, or threaten to withhold donations due to the color of a helmet. Did you survey those of us in that level, yeah, that's what I thought. Like I said, you have no data to back up your claim, but I'm sure you'll continue on.

Butt-hurt, what are you 13? I'd expect such from someone that age.

I'm a few years older than you, not a BM donor, but have been a RF contributor and season ticket holder for more than 30 years.  I never questioned your "fandom"; only your conclusions - or, more to the point, your baseless attacks on my prior statement, which was made based on sound logic.  I have provided an argument for my belief and statement; you have not.  You are welcome to your beliefs, as I am to mine.  If you choose to ignore logic and deduction, well, that is your choice.

I do not go around asking people in suites, or - for that matter - the stands of DWRRS questions about uniforms and helmets.  I do frequently read several boards, including this, the HI and Rivals boards and see most if not all of the threads about those subjects.  Plus, I have a large group of Razorback supporters that I personally know and discuss a variety of topics with.  You may not have heard anyone complain about the uniform changes, but it is quite often discussed among my acquaintances - and not because I bring it up.

I know one fellow who grew up in NWA, went to the U of A and has held season tickets for longer than I have.  I do not believe he has missed one home game (in DWRRS) in more than 25 years.  However, he is particularly upset about the anthracite uniforms - football or basketball.  He quit coming to our watch parties (I live in the DFW area) this season after we wore the anthracite uni's a second time (at Mizzou, I believe), and claims that "it's not his team" if they are wearing grey.  He very nearly did not renew his football tickets for this season over this.  Seriously.

Personally, I think he's over-reacting.  I may not like the unis or helmets, but it's still "my team".  Just giving one example of someone I personally know that is very upset over the issue we are discussing.  Another friend is much younger (than me) - probably mid-to-late 30's.  He also has decided to boycott games in which we wear grey uniforms.  Interestingly, he's fine with the white helmets (my older friend is not).  Others have made comments in my presence to make it clear in no uncertain terms that they are upset about this as well. 

So this sentiment is out there.  Not for everyone.  But it is more than "just a few" and they tend to be older and among the more involved (===> donors, not just "fans") among our fans.

ricepig

Well, too bad for you and your group of "fans", I don't believe you'll have any influence over uniform colors. I support my alma mater, the color of the helmet or jersey for a game doesn't sway my allegiance. I bet if we were playing in a BCS game or in the Big Dance, these so called fans wouldn't be concerned about colors. Big money isn't worried about uniforms, they want wins and the program moving in a direction that projects well for the university.

HogNdazs

I love the helmets. The Matte finish fad is great, I really like them more than the shiny.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 26, 2014, 12:24:41 pm
I'm a few years older than you, not a BM donor, but have been a RF contributor and season ticket holder for more than 30 years.  I never questioned your "fandom"; only your conclusions - or, more to the point, your baseless attacks on my prior statement, which was made based on sound logic.  I have provided an argument for my belief and statement; you have not.  You are welcome to your beliefs, as I am to mine.  If you choose to ignore logic and deduction, well, that is your choice.

I do not go around asking people in suites, or - for that matter - the stands of DWRRS questions about uniforms and helmets.  I do frequently read several boards, including this, the HI and Rivals boards and see most if not all of the threads about those subjects.  Plus, I have a large group of Razorback supporters that I personally know and discuss a variety of topics with.  You may not have heard anyone complain about the uniform changes, but it is quite often discussed among my acquaintances - and not because I bring it up.

I know one fellow who grew up in NWA, went to the U of A and has held season tickets for longer than I have.  I do not believe he has missed one home game (in DWRRS) in more than 25 years.  However, he is particularly upset about the anthracite uniforms - football or basketball.  He quit coming to our watch parties (I live in the DFW area) this season after we wore the anthracite uni's a second time (at Mizzou, I believe), and claims that "it's not his team" if they are wearing grey.  He very nearly did not renew his football tickets for this season over this.  Seriously.

Personally, I think he's over-reacting.  I may not like the unis or helmets, but it's still "my team".  Just giving one example of someone I personally know that is very upset over the issue we are discussing.  Another friend is much younger (than me) - probably mid-to-late 30's.  He also has decided to boycott games in which we wear grey uniforms.  Interestingly, he's fine with the white helmets (my older friend is not).  Others have made comments in my presence to make it clear in no uncertain terms that they are upset about this as well. 

So this sentiment is out there.  Not for everyone.  But it is more than "just a few" and they tend to be older and among the more involved (===> donors, not just "fans") among our fans.

This argument will never die.  I think most older people would rather stick with our traditional colors, and the younger crowd is into whatever is the latest trend. 

Branding is a real thing, and it works.  That's my only argument.  There are a few teams nationally that make you know who they are immediately in any highlight.  I think that can be an advantage, but right now the trend seems to be adding variety in terms of what the college age kids prefer. 

I don't think it matters, and I'm an old timer.  I would prefer something similar to the 2006-7 uniform, but that's just because I like our branding and that instant visibility. 

Until we get our Basketball and Football programs to a contending level, maybe we should wear the anthracite indefinitely to lower our visibility.   :P   

EastexHawg

We have some fans who say they don't care what we wear...as long as we win, because they're Hog fans regardless, etc.

We have other fans who say tradition matters and they want to at least maintain a cardinal helmet with a white Hog on it.

Since one group claims not to care and the other wants to maintain tradition, wouldn't the obvious, logical, please the most folks option be to leave the helmet alone?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 26, 2014, 04:26:21 pm
We have some fans who say they don't care what we wear...as long as we win, because they're Hog fans regardless, etc.

We have other fans who say tradition matters and they want to at least maintain a cardinal helmet with a white Hog on it.

Since one group claims not to care and the other wants to maintain tradition, wouldn't the obvious, logical, please the most folks option be to leave the helmet alone?

So, the fans are picking uniforms?

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 26, 2014, 04:18:42 pm
This argument will never die.  I think most older people would rather stick with our traditional colors, and the younger crowd is into whatever is the latest trend. 

Branding is a real thing, and it works.  That's my only argument.  There are a few teams nationally that make you know who they are immediately in any highlight.  I think that can be an advantage, but right now the trend seems to be adding variety in terms of what the college age kids prefer. 

I don't think it matters, and I'm an old timer.  I would prefer something similar to the 2006-7 uniform, but that's just because I like our branding and that instant visibility. 

Until we get our Basketball and Football programs to a contending level, maybe we should wear the anthracite indefinitely to lower our visibility.   :P   

I've said this over and over and over and no one seems to wanna reply to it.  That cardinal red helmet and white hog on it is our brand - it's a branding gold mine.  It isn't the anthracite color itself as much as how it puts us into that also-ran category of teams jumping on the fad bandwagon.  It just reeks of 'Johnny Come Lately'.  The sho-nuff traditional programs (winners) aren't screwing around with black uniforms and helmets.

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 26, 2014, 05:00:46 pm
I've said this over and over and over and no one seems to wanna reply to it.  It isn't the anthracite color itself as much as how it puts us into that also-ran category of teams jumping on the fad bandwagon.  It just reeks of 'Johnny Come Lately'.  The sho-nuff traditional programs (winners) aren't screwing around with black uniforms and helmets.

When we become one of those winners, then we can be a traditionalist. Bama, USCw, Penn St, and maybe a few others don't change, but just about everyone else has done a "different" uniform.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 05:04:44 pm
When we become one of those winners, then we can be a traditionalist. Bama, USCw, Penn St, and maybe a few others don't change, but just about everyone else has done a "different" uniform.

I left a sentence out but added it since your post.  Our brand is the red hat and white hog.  Everyone all across the country knows it, recognizes it.  We may be irrelevant most years but guys from L.A. to Long Island can see that image and know who it is.  As far as that goes, we don't have to go 11-1 every year to have brand recognition.

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 26, 2014, 05:08:22 pm
I left a sentence out but added it since your post.  Our brand is the red hat and white hog.  Everyone all across the country knows it, recognizes it.  We may be irrelevant most years but guys from L.A. to Long Island can see that image and know who it is.  As far as that goes, we don't have to go 11-1 every year to have brand recognition.

So, you think they are confused when they see a red Hog on a while helmet? We are the only Razorbacks, I think that stands out more. If we never wear the white or anthracite helmets, I'm fine, but I don't understand people threatening not to go to games, or withholding donations. Good thing we didn't switch from the Cardinals during the internet age.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 05:28:55 pmI don't understand people threatening not to go to games, or withholding donations.

Neither do I.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: No Porking Here To Corner on March 19, 2014, 02:34:22 pm

I know that the flat/matte finish is the popular thing these days, but it makes the color look too maroon for my taste. I like that bright, Cardinal Red.

Naw....that couldn't be our cardinal red on that helmet?  That's just the primer coat...

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

dsgreen

Quote from: Cotton on March 22, 2014, 08:38:19 am
Some of you will disagree with this, but if you think these 18-20 year old kids are that concerned about safety that, you're mistaken.

The majority of players are competitors that will lie and say anything to stay in the game. Now you have the potential of helmet technology saying you can't play anymore when you feel like you can.

I know safety is the important factor and the technology is great. But as a recruiting tool, it's not gonna change an 18 year olds mind like somebody alluded too.

That is probably right, however, parents care A LOT about player safety, and they have a pretty big say during the recruitment process most of the time.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 26, 2014, 05:00:46 pm
I've said this over and over and over and no one seems to wanna reply to it.  That cardinal red helmet and white hog on it is our brand - it's a branding gold mine.  It isn't the anthracite color itself as much as how it puts us into that also-ran category of teams jumping on the fad bandwagon.  It just reeks of 'Johnny Come Lately'.  The sho-nuff traditional programs (winners) aren't screwing around with black uniforms and helmets.

That's the stance I've been taking for the last few years, as these uniform debates have heated up with the multiple changes we've seen recently.  In fact, I stated it again earlier in this thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=564966.msg8905913#msg8905913

"Traditional doesn't mean being exactly the same as the uniforms were 40 years ago; it means staying with our "brand", which is the red helmet with white hog, and cardinal and white uni's."

LZH

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 27, 2014, 11:20:02 am
That's the stance I've been taking for the last few years, as these uniform debates have heated up with the multiple changes we've seen recently.  In fact, I stated it again earlier in this thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=564966.msg8905913#msg8905913

"Traditional doesn't mean being exactly the same as the uniforms were 40 years ago; it means staying with our "brand", which is the red helmet with white hog, and cardinal and white uni's."

Yeah I don't see what's so hard about that.  Now, the basketball team wore black the other night and I didn't think that was bad at all.  For some reason I'd be OK with that from time to time.  But the football team should never, ever, stray from cardinal red and white.  I'm even OK with some kind of throwback uni's with white helmets (a la 1950's) - maybe for Homecoming or whatever - but kill this God-awful anthracite and spray paint/road grime on the back of the headgear & get back to what everyone recognizes.  Why that isn't important to some people, to preserve our "brand", I'll never know.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 05:28:55 pm
So, you think they are confused when they see a red Hog on a while helmet? We are the only Razorbacks, I think that stands out more. If we never wear the white or anthracite helmets, I'm fine, but I don't understand people threatening not to go to games, or withholding donations. Good thing we didn't switch from the Cardinals during the internet age.

Frankly, to some degree "yes".  Had I not known that we were going to wear them (of course, I did), and I had randomly come across a game where we were wearing them, I wouldn't have immediately recognized the team as Arkansas.  My first reaction would have been a combination of "that's not my Hogs!" and "who the heck is it?" and "who has stolen our mascot?".

Those of us who frequent these boards and track Arkansas daily were well aware that they were going to implement some changes to the uniform, so it didn't surprise us.   But certainly there were some less ardent fans (the 80-90% that don't spend much if any time on boards like this, like we do) that were NOT aware that we had added the white and anthracite helmets.  If those folks had happened upon a game with us wearing one of those alternate helmets while channel surfing, I'll bet most of them wouldn't have immediately known it was us playing - because they'd never seen us in anything but red helmets with white hogs.  Of course, in reality, most of that group found out when they turned their TV to "the Hog game", and it wouldn't have been that hard to figure out because you knew one of the teams was Arkansas.

But outside of Arkansas fans, in particular, the red helmet with white hog is our best known visual brand. If you set up a controlled environment where you had a TV and you showed video of various games for, say, 5 seconds and then surveyed fans of random teams across the country to see if they could say which teams were playing, I'd bet everything I own that dramatically fewer of them would correctly identify Arkansas if the clip were of us in our white or anthracite helmets, in comparison to how many would identify us if we were wearing the red helmets with white hogs.

The related point, is "does that matter?".

I guess the answer to that depends on who you're talking to.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 27, 2014, 11:47:36 am
Frankly, to some degree "yes".  Had I not known that we were going to wear them (of course, I did), and I had randomly come across a game where we were wearing them, I wouldn't have immediately recognized the team as Arkansas.  My first reaction would have been a combination of "that's not my Hogs!" and "who the heck is it?" and "who has stolen our mascot?".

Those of us who frequent these boards and track Arkansas daily were well aware that they were going to implement some changes to the uniform, so it didn't surprise us.   But certainly there were some less ardent fans (the 80-90% that don't spend much if any time on boards like this, like we do) that were NOT aware that we had added the white and anthracite helmets.  If those folks had happened upon a game with us wearing one of those alternate helmets while channel surfing, I'll bet most of them wouldn't have immediately known it was us playing - because they'd never seen us in anything but red helmets with white hogs.  Of course, in reality, most of that group found out when they turned their TV to "the Hog game", and it wouldn't have been that hard to figure out because you knew one of the teams was Arkansas.

But outside of Arkansas fans, in particular, the red helmet with white hog is our best known visual brand. If you set up a controlled environment where you had a TV and you showed video of various games for, say, 5 seconds and then surveyed fans of random teams across the country to see if they could say which teams were playing, I'd bet everything I own that dramatically fewer of them would correctly identify Arkansas if the clip were of us in our white or anthracite helmets, in comparison to how many would identify us if we were wearing the red helmets with white hogs.

The related point, is "does that matter?".

I guess the answer to that depends on who you're talking to.

I think the argument from the "change is good" crowd would be that if it landed us even one recruit, because they like the ever changing "edgy" uniforms like Oregon has adopted, then it is as important as "branding." 

The harsh truth is...until we start winning again, branding means less than it would when we're winning.   :(

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 27, 2014, 11:08:10 pm
I think the argument from the "change is good" crowd would be that if it landed us even one recruit, because they like the ever changing "edgy" uniforms like Oregon has adopted, then it is as important as "branding." 

The harsh truth is...until we start winning again, branding means less than it would when we're winning.   :(
Chicken or the egg??

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 08:30:41 am

An interesting hypothetical! I never though about that angle.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tony Sloprano

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 23, 2014, 10:55:26 pm
I will say that there is still a recognized benefit to having a well known and recognizable brand.  There are a lot of things you can to to change things up without screwing with the brand.

Our "brand" that you are so worried about screwing up is sooooooo good and known throughout the world, it resulted in ZERO SEC wins last year.

Yeah, branding sure makes a difference.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Tony Sloprano on March 28, 2014, 10:00:59 am
Our "brand" that you are so worried about screwing up is sooooooo good and known throughout the world, it resulted in ZERO SEC wins last year.

Yeah, branding sure makes a difference.

C'mon man.  That's just a sorry excuse to get in a dig.  Michigan recently went through the doldrums, and no one fails to recognize them the instant they are on any TV screen.  That's just one example...I could list MANY more, and you know that's a LAME argument.  Try harder. 

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 04:28:29 pm

Apparently not. One or two people are making that call (Long and past coach with prodding from Nike) and causing disenchantment for a significant portion of fan base.

Fortunately, Coach B states he is a traditionalist.

I'll support em regardless, but truly hate the liberal change of our look.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2014, 04:28:29 pm

You prefer letting the itinerant union employees make those decisions?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 28, 2014, 09:44:36 pm
You prefer letting the itinerant union employees make those decisions?

Nope, I always side with management.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2014, 02:44:59 pm
I prefer the ones we used to wear. 

Well, if they went back to that one, I can practically insure that few players would lead with their head, and we probably would see a quick return to shoulder tackling...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 22, 2014, 10:18:59 am
Helmet is missing a laptop. Cam must have thrown it out a window.

Wrong.  Cam's helmet hole was where he stashed the $200K...