Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Has Realignment Affected Recruiting?

Started by harley spoon, March 19, 2014, 08:07:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

harley spoon

Excellent article on realignment's impact on recruiting for those schools that moved recently within or to power conferences:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/18/5429658/conference-realignment-college-football-recruiting

DeltaBoy

Quote from: harley spoon on March 19, 2014, 08:07:02 am
Excellent article on realignment's impact on recruiting for those schools that moved recently within or to power conferences:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/18/5429658/conference-realignment-college-football-recruiting

We moved over 20 years ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: harley spoon on March 19, 2014, 08:07:02 am

TAM looked to be the only one who really improved their recruiting. I think moving to the SEC, new coaching staff, and winning helped them. Also the state school not winning probably contributed some as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ldfergu

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 08:42:57 am
TAM looked to be the only one who really improved their recruiting. I think moving to the SEC, new coaching staff, and winning helped them. Also the state school not winning probably contributed some as well.

I never liked the addition of TAM. I think it hurts us a little

ChitownHawg

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on March 19, 2014, 09:19:08 am

It certainly looks that way. Now I think it hurts the Longhorns even more as TAM can say they are the only major Texas university playing in the top notch SEC.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

harley spoon

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2014, 08:37:27 am
We moved over 20 years ago.

And Arkansas plays against two of the schools that moved recently and recruit against a larger number that have moved recently. 

DEVIL DOG HOG

How much is change conference or changing head coach effects recruiting?
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PaGrape on March 19, 2014, 09:53:13 am
How much is change conference or changing head coach effects recruiting?
I suspect both are definite factors at least where the Hogs are concerned.

DeltaBoy

The Coaching staff focus is the key  After Hatfield the Texas pipeline narrowed till it was almost gone by the time Bobby came.  He reopened it a bit but we need a Major Pipeline Established in TX like Frank had .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Danny J

It certainly did and so did the Mizzou move as well. I along with a few others harped on this while it was still in talks while most chanted:

SEC SEC SEC!!!

I saw zero benefits to it at all. I guess maybe more TV viewers helping to marginally increase TV deals. We lost the LSU game at the end of the year, hurt recruiting to both states, lost two games at Jerry world, etc...

31to6

Perfect storm. Texas is at a 20-year low in their program, with massive turmoil on the staff at the same time as aTm moved to the SEC and hired a very good head coach with a loaded staff of recruiters.

I think the Aggies will continue to see improved recruiting in the SEC and with Sumlin, but it should stabilize down a little bit into the Top 15 range if Texas recovers and some of the aTm hype wears off in the post-JMFF era.

aTm has always tended to have a bit more talent than Arkansas but has had challenges getting it pointed in the right direction with consistency.

redeye

March 19, 2014, 07:56:02 pm #11 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:24:35 pm by redeye
Thanks for the article!

I don't really see much that's interesting, though.  Probably the most interesting thing is that Missouri is signing fewer Texas recruits, which was predicted all along.  But if Missouri is struggling more in Texas as a SEC team, then it makes sense that Arkansas will benefit in Texas from having A&M in the conference.

I'll say again that the idea we're worse off, because A&M is having more success in the SEC, is ludicrous.  I didn't want the SEC to expand, period, but I still say we benefit from having A&M in the conference.

jvanhorn

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 09:23:16 am
It certainly looks that way. Now I think it hurts the Longhorns even more as TAM can say they are the only major Texas university playing in the top notch SEC.

That is the same reason it is hurting OU, even though Stoops is pretty proficient at recruiting nationwide--he will probably have to do even more of it.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I think we only benefit from having A and M in the conference if we can beat them regularly.  At this time that seems to be an uphill battle

LZH

How can Nebraska have signed 50 players in 2010?  Am I not reading that right?

Hawghiggs

A&M and Mizzou being in the SEC only helps Arkansas. Being able to recruit Missouri better, Will only help.

Murr

Posted by: Hawghiggs
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:28:42 pm » Insert Quote

A&M and Mizzou being in the SEC only helps Arkansas. Being able to recruit Missouri better, Will only help.

I agree.  Having Texas and Missouri become SEC states will make it easier for us to recruit from those regions, but we need to have the recruiters with ties/roots to help bring those kids over.  The hogs have been playing at Jerry's World for, what 3-5 years straight now or scheduled a yearly game in the state of Texas that long and last recruiting class, we only had two recruits from that state sign.  Our staff's focus has been in South Florida, Lousiana, and the general southeast while plucking a midwestern kid or northeastern kid or two here and there.  I'm not saying we NEED to heavily recruit Texas, but if we are going out of our way to play games in Dallas every season, we need to grab more players from North Texas or shift our tactics elsewhere to maximize them.

WPS and looking forward to the QB competitions this spring.

redeye

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 20, 2014, 10:28:42 pm

With A&M and Missouri in the SEC, we'll receive more attention in those states and that will help a lot.  The Big-XII cleaned up on Texas recruits, but I believe Oklahoma was the only former Big-8 school to do it BEFORE the Big-8 merged with the Texas schools.  Just the same, we struggled to recruit Texas after leaving the SWC, and although some claim they were boycotting us, I think it's far more logical that they just didn't care about us anymore.