Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hearing we may be shocked by increased passing this year

Started by three hog night, March 19, 2014, 07:51:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BorderPatrol

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 08:46:48 am
We will never win passing the ball - we can only win by controlling the ball on the ground and running down the clock to keep good offenses off the field :)  I know this to be true because it is stated constantly on HV to the point of disgust by the Beliema Army and the BP haters...

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 12:10:08 pm
Petrino is the best play-caller in the universe and you didn't have to worry about OC's leaving because it was still his offense - much like GM.  It is nice when the offense stays with the HC and doesn't leave with the OC...

You are trying your hardest to just start meaningless arguments. Why bother? It is pointless and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

bp

Mike_e

Quote from: bollweevil on March 19, 2014, 11:12:47 am
Once again, it's going to come down to quarterback, and the question remains . . . Is Brandon Allen an upper level DI quarterback or is he more suited for a place like UCA? (Think Zack Clark and Nathan Dick.) I have real concerns about his arm strength and his ability to scan the field and read through his progressions. Then there are the intangibles. How does he react to adversity? Does he want the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter? Brandon played a great first half against Texas A&M but when the Aggies got after us in the second half, he was miserable. Late in games he hasn't been at his best (Mississippi State and LSU). I hope that maturity, both physical and mental will help him make a giant leap in 2014, but I'll have to see it on the field.

BA had the arm strength before the injury; as to going through progressions, it doesn't take long if no one is close to being where they're supposed to be or are covered up.  When this happens you wind up looking at your best bet and giving him time to get open so that you can throw him the ball.  Or trying to complete the pas to somebody in the 5th row.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawgon on March 19, 2014, 11:44:15 am
Well, one of those has at times been regarded as the best play caller in the NFL and college, and the other is 9-31 in the SEC as a play caller.

Hard win games when the UT defense with Derek Dooley as HC gives up 43 pts per game against SEC offenses like they did in 2012. But sure blame that on the OC.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

You lost me at BA has good passing skills.

The good news is it really can't get worse than what we've endured the past two seasons.

bigbadhog

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 12:16:06 pm
Bobby had easily one of the best offensive minds around. Maybe in history.

But he didn't always put it to use. "Fan" is correct. Broderie would sometimes get the carry 2-3 times in a row for no gain. Happened a LOT in our last squeaker against Ole Miss.

Stubborn? Or texting Sweetie? Who knows? But play calling in 2011 was hardly "brilliant".

Produced our best finish since 1977
Quote from: Hawgon on March 19, 2014, 12:23:35 pm
But good enough for our best season in more than 20 years, arguably longer.

Best finish since 1977 while competing against the big boys of the SEC...  Amazing that BP was able to do that while not being a great a play caller, recruiter or media relations guy... :)
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 12:59:25 pm
Best finish since 1977 while competing against the big boys of the SEC...  Amazing that BP was able to do that while not being a great a play caller, recruiter or media relations guy... :)

If there's one thing he's good at, his "relations" skills are unquestionable.

Arkansas Fan

Competing against the big boys we got killed - 38-14 and 41-17.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 19, 2014, 01:18:26 pm
Competing against the big boys we got killed - 38-14 and 41-17.

Miami (JJ) beat Hatfield 51-7 in LR in 1987 when we ranked in top 10.  38-0 at the half.  When you still have a chance to play for the NC going into your last game of the year, you don't have much to complain about.  It didn't happen form 1970-2010 but did in 2011...

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 01:23:09 pm
Miami (JJ) beat Hatfield 51-7 in LR in 1987 when we ranked in top 10.  38-0 at the half.  When you still have a chance to play for the NC going into your last game of the year, you don't have much to complain about.  It didn't happen form 1970-2010 but did in 2011...

And yet we played in the Cotton Bowl - HDN says "I did that!"

Steef

Like Gus last year, Bobby had some luck in 2011. We should have lost to Vandy and Ole Miss. His playcalling in both those games stunk. Much like it did in the games we DID lose...Bama & LSU.

TAMU was rebuilding that year.

Without a couple of turnovers, we easily could have been 8-4 on the season. So let's not build a statue to Saint Bobby just yet.

You know why I'm mad at him? Not 'cause he wrecked his motorcycle, but because he WAS a genius....and pi$$ed it all away. Because he COULD have kept us in the top ten...basically forever...and got lazy and arrogant and frisky...made us look bad...AND...let our program decline under his very nose.

He didn't have to do that. He COULD have built an Oline and found some running backs that could run. But by then, he had long since stopped giving us his best effort.

I almost wish he HAD stayed here long enough to prove to his devoted followers...that he wasn't gonna get it done.

Nick had his number and Lord help us...so did Les. We were never going to beat those two again. We were never going to be better than Cotton Bowl...and they wouldn't have us.

At least Bret is building an Oline. Something Bobby chose not to do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 01:51:36 pm
Like Gus last year, Bobby had some luck in 2011. We should have lost to Vandy and Ole Miss. His playcalling in both those games stunk. Much like it did in the games we DID lose...Bama & LSU.

Without a couple of turnovers, we easily could have been 8-4 on the season. So let's not build a statue to Saint Bobby just yet.

You know why I'm mad at him? Not 'cause he wrecked his motorcycle, but because he WAS a genius....and pi$$ed it all away. Because he COULD have kept us in the top ten...basically forever...and got lazy and arrogant and frisky...made us look bad...AND...let our program decline under his very nose.

He didn't have to do that. He COULD have built an Oline and found some running backs that could run. But by then, he had long since stopped giving us his best effort.

I almost wish he HAD stayed here long enough to prove to his devoted followers...that he wasn't gonna get it done.

Nick had his number and Lord help us...so did Les. We were never going to beat those two again. We were never going to be better than Cotton Bowl...and they wouldn't have us.

Good post Steef.

opineonswine

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2014, 08:36:52 am
We got to be able to pass effectively like we did under Bobby P or we will face 8 in the box again this year.

I agree with most of your statement but would leave out the "like we did under Bobby P".  We don't have to be pass happy like he tended to be.  We DO have to pass effectively.

opineonswine

You are so right.  I was at both of those games.  I had gotten up to leave at Vandy when the life-saving fumble occurred.  Same thing at Ole Miss.  We were beaten until late in the game when IIRC we broke a long run.  We got lucky....not quite as lucky as Gus got vs. UGA and Bama last year...but lucky.  I DID leave at halftime at Alabama.  We weren't in the game from the get-go.  They beat us as handily as we've ever been beaten.  The score doesn't tell the whole story.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 19, 2014, 01:26:09 pm
And yet we played in the Cotton Bowl - HDN says "I did that!"

And finished in the top 5 - HDN never sniffed that...

bigbadhog

Auburn 2010 was lucky
Auburn 2013 was lucky
That can be said for almost any championship team unless they dominated their games like FSU did last year.   The team that wins it all gets breaks along the way - that's how they got there :)

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hambone on March 19, 2014, 10:30:08 am
So you think other teams weren't preparing for us under Petrino? Seriously?

There were articles stating Saban was preparing for us during the summers while Petrino was here.

But you think an offense that scored 16 pts a game in conference has other coaches quaking in their boots?

Well I guess Nick prepared pretty well.  He beat Bobby every game. Bobby is a fine coach, but Nick still was undefeated against him.  So I don't see your point.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 02:10:35 pm
And finished in the top 5 - HDN never sniffed that...

Finishing in the top five is already forgotten from our 4-8 and 3-9 seasons.

opineonswine

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 11:32:12 am
If you can watch them both call a game, and don't come away with BP being the FAR superior play-caller, then that's a you problem.

No doubt BP is a good offensive coach but he isn't perfect.  Example...last year he threw the ball only 7 more times vs. Louisiana than Cheney.  Yet Petrino's team had 2 Int's ...we had none.  His offense was 300+ yards throwing but only 133 rushing.  They lost at home fairly badly.  We won handily.

Paul Petrino learned (poorly) from his brother.  He threw the ball when he should have ran it many times in 2012.  A balanced offense is always better over the long term.  Hopefully we'll see more balance ourselves in 2014. 

opineonswine

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 11:35:23 am
This was in response to Tired. Ole. Crap about how BB's conservative style is going to be the savior of our football program.  We will run it down people throats and try to have an "efficient" passing game.  It worked so great for Hatfield, Crowe, Ford and Nutt so let's bring it back with BB...  Yeah, I know how you feel

You love shading the truth.  Hatfield, Crowe, Ford nor Nutt had an efficient passing game.
BB had an efficient passing game at Wisconsin.  Why you keep making stuff up?

bigbadhog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 19, 2014, 02:22:52 pm

No doubt.  Shows are far we have fallen and the climb back will be long and painful if even possible.  It is very difficult to compete at that level but we did a mere 27 months ago.  Unbelievable highs and now unbelievable lows that close together...

cosmodrum

Quote from: opineonswine on March 19, 2014, 02:27:13 pm
You love shading the truth.  Hatfield, Crowe, Ford nor Nutt had an efficient passing game.

To start arguments. To get weak-willed dummies like me to respond to his crap so he can continue his little schtick. There's NOTHING that CBB will do of which he will approve.
Go away, batin'

bigbadhog

Quote from: opineonswine on March 19, 2014, 02:27:13 pm

They all claimed to have an efficient passing attack at the time.  We heard that crap here from 1984-2007.  I bet you defended them at the time.  They thought ball and clock control was the only way to win a football game.  I watch a lot of college football and BB was the closest thing out there to Hatfield, Crowe, Ford and Nutt IMHO which I am entitled to.  I HATED him at wisc due to his football philosophy and rooted against him at every chance... 

opineonswine

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 02:35:26 pm
They all claimed to have an efficient passing attack at the time.  We heard that crap here from 1984-2007.  I bet you defended them at the time.  They thought ball and clock control was the only way to win a football game.  I watch a lot of college football and BB was the closest thing out there to Hatfield, Crowe, Ford and Nutt IMHO which I am entitled to.  I HATED him at wisc due to his football philosophy and rooted against him at every chance...

Claiming it and actually doing it (proven by the numbers) are two different things.  You ignore the facts..either purposely or out of ignorance.

BorderPatrol

Well, guess what!!!! You better get used to it.

Your bitching, whining and moaning is not going to change a thing, except your life span.

bp

cosmodrum

So you don't believe controlling the clock is important?

Are you a Wisconsin fan? Otherwise, I find it silly to HATE a coach from a different conference at a school for which you have no allegiance.

Oh, and BB DID have a effective passing games at UW.

Nutt did, too, when he had Stoerner and the Ford kids. Then, he had to recruit his own QBs and develop them. Whoops.
Go away, batin'

ldfergu

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 12:10:08 pm
It is nice when the offense stays with the HC and doesn't leave with the OC...

It's also nice that when the coach moves on that fans do as well

bigbadhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 19, 2014, 02:38:19 pm

Are you a Wisconsin fan? Otherwise, I find it silly to HATE a coach from a different conference at a school for which you have no allegiance.

Nutt did, too, when he had Stoerner and the Ford kids. Then, he had to recruit his own QBs and develop them. Whoops.

Oops to you, I was at all the games then and am very aware that HDN had no passing attack after the first two years.  I don't credit him for what he inherited...

El Puerco Grande

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 19, 2014, 10:48:36 am
Attempts were about right last year.  I'm hoping for more completions.   ;D

If we can get the PAP going, we should smear some teams.
You managed to get "PAP" and "smear" in that sentence. Nice.
How 'bout them hogs?

bigbadhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 19, 2014, 02:38:19 pm

I hated BB because he as a blow hard and I hated his style (in football and as a person).  You click with and like some people.  Others you don't click with and dislike immediately.  It is human nature.  Some coaches you dislike but respect (Saban).  Other coaches you dislike and don't respect.  BB and Bo Pelini are that for me.  They are my least favorite college football coaches.  Unfortunately, I am a lifelong Razorback Fan and not very happy right now.  And no, I don't believe controlling the clock is important as a general rule - being able to do it some is great - like the second half of 2010.  I would rather keep scoring.  I share that philosophy with a guy that did pretty well here a few years ago. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 03:08:08 pm
I hated BB because he as a blow hard and I hated his style (in football and as a person).  You click with and like some people.  Others you don't click with and dislike immediately.  It is human nature.  Some coaches you dislike but respect (Saban).  Other coaches you dislike and don't respect.  BB and Bo Pelini are that for me.  They are my least favorite college football coaches.  Unfortunately, I am a lifelong Razorback Fan and not very happy right now...

Who else thinks this guy never heard the name Bret Bielema until he was hired?  I'd bet money on it.

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 19, 2014, 03:09:26 pm
Who else thinks this guy never heard the name Bret Bielema until he was hired?  I'd bet money on it.

I have been a college football fan way longer than you have been alive.  we have had this conversation before "young" man

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

razorback44

Just because one has "watched" more football doesn't mean they actually know more about football.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Steef

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 03:08:08 pm
I hated BB because he as a blow hard and I hated his style (in football and as a person).  You click with and like some people.  Others you don't click with and dislike immediately.  It is human nature.  Some coaches you dislike but respect (Saban).  Other coaches you dislike and don't respect.  BB and Bo Pelini are that for me.  They are my least favorite college football coaches.  Unfortunately, I am a lifelong Razorback Fan and not very happy right now.  And no, I don't believe controlling the clock is important as a general rule - being able to do it some is great - like the second half of 2010.  I would rather keep scoring.  I share that philosophy with a guy that did pretty well here a few years ago.

Interestingly, Bret has been known (many times) to run the score up on people. Including Pellini.

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 19, 2014, 03:15:17 pm
No joke.  I'm surprised he didn't call me "son" again.

You throw around crap like that that you know nothing about.  I will answer any question you ask honestly.  You don't have to guess and insult.  I have very legitimate reasons I don't like BB and it is fine that you don't agree.  I wish you provided me the same respect.  You showed your colors and immaturity with the suicide joke a few months ago...

bigbadhog

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 03:23:49 pm
Interestingly, Bret has been known (many times) to run the score up on people. Including Pellini.

I am very aware of that.  He always scored a lot of points on lessor opponents when he had the chance.  That is probably the only thing I do like about him.  Never blamed Spurrier for that either...

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 03:26:41 pm
You throw around crap like that that you know nothing about.  I will answer any question you ask honestly.  You don't have to guess and insult.  I have very legitimate reasons I don't like BB and it is fine that you don't agree.  I wish you provided me the same respect.  You showed your colors and immaturity with the suicide joke a few months ago...

Frankly, I appreciate your honesty.

I'd rather have "I don't like the guy"....than "I'm reserving my opinion" from someone who has obviously already made up their mind.

It's a sport. An entertainment. And we like who we like and don't like...etc.

Again, kudos for the honesty.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

If this translates to the field, this is great news IMO.  I fully trust Chaney and his offensive philosophy.  Hopefully he will be allowed to do his thing this season.

I think BB's strengths are in overall motivation of the players and influence on the defensive side.

If we stay healthy overall at the key positions, we could be in for a good run if all these things come together.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pork Twain

Quote from: dwcherr on March 19, 2014, 11:36:40 am

I like Chaney and think he will get it done here. But to act like his play calling has been unquestionable is hilarious. He is 9-31 as an SEC OC. That's 9 wins, 31 losses.
I get that but it takes more than an OC to win football games.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigbadhog

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 03:28:58 pm
Frankly, I appreciate your honesty.

I'd rather have "I don't like the guy"....than "I'm reserving my opinion" from someone who has obviously already made up their mind.

It's a sport. An entertainment. And we like who we like and don't like...etc.

Again, kudos for the honesty.

Thank you SH.  We don't agree on much here but I don't call names and I do respect people's opinion even though I don't agree.  People saying I had never heard of him before he was hired is ridiculous.  I just never liked anything about the guy and certainly don't like that he is leading the Razorbacks now...  BBH

Wildhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 03:35:35 pm
Thank you SH.  We don't agree on much here but I don't call names and I do respect people's opinion even though I don't agree.  People saying I had never heard of him before he was hired is ridiculous.  I just never liked anything about the guy and certainly don't like that he is leading the Razorbacks now...  BBH

Don't you have a stop sign to run or pedestrians to kill or something?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 11:32:12 am
If you can watch them both call a game, and don't come away with BP being the FAR superior play-caller, then that's a you problem.
Few can do what BP does as an offensive mind but he had his obvious faults.  Failure to ever have a consistent running game being one of them.  You guys are right though and JC sucks and it is clear by his SEC record and his results here last year with scraps.  Thank you for setting me straight
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 19, 2014, 03:38:33 pm
Few can do what BP does as an offensive mind but he had his obvious faults.  Failure to ever have a consistent running game being one of them.  You guys are right though and JC sucks and it is clear by his SEC record and his results here last year with scraps.  Thank you for setting me straight

You know I'm always down for setting someone straight.

And I don't think Chaney sucks, but I don't think he's in the same ballpark as BP, either. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigbadhog

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 03:38:10 pm
Don't you have a stop sign to run or pedestrians to kill or something?

nice, come up with a suicide joke too and you can compete with porkrinds in the immaturity category

Wildhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 03:40:55 pm
nice, come up with a suicide joke too and you can compete with porkrinds in the immaturity category

If I had to go back down to that level I'd kill myself.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Redhogs

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 19, 2014, 02:22:52 pm
And that's the point now isn't it....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Wildhog

The suicide hotline is so unreliable.  They always leave people hanging.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: bollweevil on March 19, 2014, 11:12:47 am
Once again, it's going to come down to quarterback, and the question remains . . . Is Brandon Allen an upper level DI quarterback or is he more suited for a place like UCA? (Think Zack Clark and Nathan Dick.) I have real concerns about his arm strength and his ability to scan the field and read through his progressions. Then there are the intangibles. How does he react to adversity? Does he want the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter? Brandon played a great first half against Texas A&M but when the Aggies got after us in the second half, he was miserable. Late in games he hasn't been at his best (Mississippi State and LSU). I hope that maturity, both physical and mental will help him make a giant leap in 2014, but I'll have to see it on the field.

How much we pass will largely depend on BA.  If he continues to show poor decision making and gives up some early pick six then we will have to be conservative