Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hearing we may be shocked by increased passing this year

Started by three hog night, March 19, 2014, 07:51:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

three hog night

The word is that Chaney is going to be opening up the offense, and it will look more like his offense at Tenner.

It makes sense:
-BA is healthy and has good passing skills, but needs to go through his progressions
-WR corp looks to be better this year.  Demetrius Wilson appears to be ready for a break through.
-The oline is gelling
-The run game will be better if the safeties have to help CB's in coverage instead of playing run support like last year.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

I already got hammered in a PM lol.   What I should have said is that we will be able to pass when we need to this year, and it may very well be a whole game that is passing heavy.   The staff and players feel better about the WR's causing Safeties to come over the top a lot AND that Hatcher, Wilson and the 2 new kids appear to be better at getting off the line against press coverage.  Timing routes will be able to be used again this year.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

DeltaBoy

We got to be able to pass effectively like we did under Bobby P or we will face 8 in the box again this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

online-with-swine

If we are going to have a real chance with some of these in state WR recruits then we may need to open it up more first.  We had a very real lack of talent at the WR positions last year.  Add in us changing staff and offense along with BA's injury and we looked inept in the passing game.

More experience at the QB position, better natural talent and athleticism at wr, better familiarity with the offense as a whole and, like you stated, a respected running game will make us a ton better in the passing department.

The defense is a whole other story and problem.  We could show real improvement as a team this year but not see any improvement in the win loss column.

bigbadhog

We will never win passing the ball - we can only win by controlling the ball on the ground and running down the clock to keep good offenses off the field :)  I know this to be true because it is stated constantly on HV to the point of disgust by the Beliema Army and the BP haters...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

three hog night

Quote from: KnilesKankle on March 19, 2014, 08:42:15 am
If we are going to have a real chance with some of these in state WR recruits then we may need to open it up more first.  We had a very real lack of talent at the WR positions last year.  Add in us changing staff and offense along with BA's injury and we looked inept in the passing game.

More experience at the QB position, better natural talent and athleticism at wr, better familiarity with the offense as a whole and, like you stated, a respected running game will make us a ton better in the passing department.

The defense is a whole other story and problem.  We could show real improvement as a team this year but not see any improvement in the win loss column.

Yes Defense scares me and it all hinges on Safety and LB.

Wildhog

"I hear our Dline is legit this year."

"This will be our most aggressive, physical defense in a long time."

"We're going to simplify the playbook."

"We're going to open up the playbook."

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

"We are going to simply open a playbook this year."

DeltaBoy

It will be exciting to see how the new hogs do this fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 08:49:29 am

" so and so is really going to break out this year"

break out of what? jail? Acne breakout?

RazrRila99

Sarcasm and facetiousness aside - will the coaches tell our QBs they do not need to dive into the end zone on an uncontested run?  Thats the play that ruint the season last year.  BA dove when he should have just waltzed in.  Dont be cute, just get it done. 

Wildhog

Quote from: RazrRila99 on March 19, 2014, 09:12:07 am
Sarcasm and facetiousness aside - will the coaches tell our QBs they do not need to dive into the end zone on an uncontested run?  Thats the play that ruint the season last year.  BA dove when he should have just waltzed in.  Dont be cute, just get it done. 

I believe he believed he had to dive. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

urkillnmesmalls

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Steef

Be willing to bet money (if I was a betting man) that BA has learned a lesson about diving.

Steef

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2014, 08:36:52 am
We got to be able to pass effectively like we did under Bobby P or we will face 8 in the box again this year.

I agree we need a balanced offense.

But Nick stacked the line and blitzed against Mallett and Wilson. Which you can do if you only have a one-headed offense, regardless of which head it is.

It helps that we are beefing up the O-line. Blitzing against us will be far less effective now. Especially when we have 3 RBs that can burn you.

For the first time in six years, defenses are going to have to actually PREPARE for us this season. That will be new.

Wildhog

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 09:18:43 am
For the first time in six years, defenses are going to have to actually PREPARE for us this season. That will be new.

Don't kid yourself.  They had to seriously prepare for BP's offense.
1909/1964/1965/1977

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: KnilesKankle on March 19, 2014, 08:42:15 am
If we are going to have a real chance with some of these in state WR recruits then we may need to open it up more first. 

cart               horse
chicken           egg

thirrdegreetusker

I doubt we need to get back to BP level, where we were throwing interceptions when we had the lead, and the ball, in the fourth quarter.

But we need to be effective and, at times, dangerous in the passing game. Gotta challenge the defense.

Steef

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 09:20:06 am

Uh-Huh.

Nick just blitzed constantly and totally ignored our running game. And Bobby had no answer for it.

In fairness, Nick COULD do that, because his athletes could cover man against anybody. And they did. But it was hardly complicated.

Anybody remember Ryan being constantly chased and ballooning his passes? Or Tyler flat on his back because the O-Line was virtually non-existent? I do.

Bret may not have Bobby's genius, but he does at least understand the value of an O-line.

Shorttimer

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 08:46:48 am
We will never win passing the ball - we can only win by controlling the ball on the ground and running down the clock to keep good offenses off the field :)  I know this to be true because it is stated constantly on HV to the point of disgust by the Beliema Army and the BP haters...
This is not true.  Nobody says this.  Certainly not "to the point of disgust."

As for this topic, I don't want an offense that is wide open.  Nor do I want an offense that is run oriented.  Rather, I want an offense that has the ability to take advantage of whatever the defense's weaknesses are.  We need to be good enough to throw it efficiently when there are opportunities in the passing game and good enough to run it when we need to run it.

Tell me what Alabama's offensive identity is.  You probably can't because it's different week to week.  There have been games where they throw it a lot--sometimes heavy play action, sometimes quick screen, sometimes heavy to the TEs and RBs.  Other games, they just line up and run it down your throat.  But they are good enough to do either, depending on the greatest opportunity for success.

When it is said that Bielema wants to be like Bama, it does not mean that he wants to line up and run it 60 times a game--Bama doesn't even do that.  Instead, it means that he wants to be good enough in all facets of the offense to take what the defense allows.  And he understands that begins with the offensive line.

Do I like Chaney saying he is going to open it up?  Only to the extent that it helps us take advantage of the opportunities that will arise when a defense gears itself to take away our running game.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 09:20:06 am

The also-rans were probably scare.

But in 2011, that 14 our O scored against Bama, and the 10 we scored against LSU did not give anyone sleepless nights. 

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hambone

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 09:18:43 am
I agree we need a balanced offense.

But Nick stacked the line and blitzed against Mallett and Wilson. Which you can do if you only have a one-headed offense, regardless of which head it is.

It helps that we are beefing up the O-line. Blitzing against us will be far less effective now. Especially when we have 3 RBs that can burn you.

So you think other teams weren't preparing for us under Petrino? Seriously?

There were articles stating Saban was preparing for us during the summers while Petrino was here.

But you think an offense that scored 16 pts a game in conference has other coaches quaking in their boots?

Wildhog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 19, 2014, 10:03:02 am
The also-rans were probably scare.

But in 2011, that 14 our O scored against Bama, and the 10 we scored against LSU did not give anyone sleepless nights. 

They were prepared.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

i have moved to the point of don't tell me, SHOW ME!!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

urkillnmesmalls

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hoggish1

I agree with each point.  We are going to have a much improved D, which is what kept us from winning in BB's first year (Rutgers, Florida, Ole Miss, Miss State and LSU).

Our running game will be one of the top two in the SEC and we will have a very effective passing game because of it.

Our aggressive style of D will reward us with take aways well to the + side and the O will flourish!

PonderinHog

Attempts were about right last year.  I'm hoping for more completions.   ;D

If we can get the PAP going, we should smear some teams.

Steef

Quote from: Wildhog on March 19, 2014, 10:33:38 am
They were prepared.

Yup.

Blitz package 1.
Blitz package 2.
Blitz package 3.
Repeat.

Go back to Bobby's last season and count the punts.

It's not enough to BE a genius. One also has to put it into practice.

We had NO Oline. We had minimal-to-NO running game. We had 1 or 2 dangerous receivers each season. Exactly how complicated does it get, to cover that?

"YOU!"
"Yes sir?"
"You cover Cobi!"
"Yes sir?"
"Coach, what do the rest of us do?"
"yawn.....Play kill the man with the ball."

The last single BRILLIANT play we saw Bobby pull out of his hat, was Mallett2Cobi on the last play of the first half against LSU. Knile tore them up during the second half, because for one brief period we had a defense scared of passing AND running.

And then poof. Knile got hurt. Every other RB we had went brain dead. The O-line recruits all fled and Bobby's offense became a one-trick pony that was easy to predict.

Hawgon

Call me crazy, but I wasn't a big fan of Cheney's offense at Tennessee.  It put up big numbers, but the play calling was inexplicable at times.  We didn't have much trouble defending it with our "terrible" defense in 2011.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgon on March 19, 2014, 10:56:44 am
Call me crazy, but I wasn't a big fan of Cheney's offense at Tennessee.  It put up big numbers, but the play calling was inexplicable at times.  We didn't have much trouble defending it with our "terrible" defense in 2011.

I've felt this way since we hired Chaney.  He'll get it done this year or I can't imagine that marriage lasting.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

You don't have to fling it around like BP or June Jones to be effective
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Further proof that some of you will complain about anything.  All of a sudden JC is a bad OC to some on here because of questionable play calling but those same guys had no problem with BP's play calling.  Brilliant...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bollweevil

Once again, it's going to come down to quarterback, and the question remains . . . Is Brandon Allen an upper level DI quarterback or is he more suited for a place like UCA? (Think Zack Clark and Nathan Dick.) I have real concerns about his arm strength and his ability to scan the field and read through his progressions. Then there are the intangibles. How does he react to adversity? Does he want the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter? Brandon played a great first half against Texas A&M but when the Aggies got after us in the second half, he was miserable. Late in games he hasn't been at his best (Mississippi State and LSU). I hope that maturity, both physical and mental will help him make a giant leap in 2014, but I'll have to see it on the field.

Steef

Quote from: bollweevil on March 19, 2014, 11:12:47 am
Once again, it's going to come down to quarterback, and the question remains . . . Is Brandon Allen an upper level DI quarterback or is he more suited for a place like UCA? (Think Zack Clark and Nathan Dick.) I have real concerns about his arm strength and his ability to scan the field and read through his progressions. Then there are the intangibles. How does he react to adversity? Does he want the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter? Brandon played a great first half against Texas A&M but when the Aggies got after us in the second half, he was miserable. Late in games he hasn't been at his best (Mississippi State and LSU). I hope that maturity, both physical and mental will help him make a giant leap in 2014, but I'll have to see it on the field.

AJ McCarron was not a great QB and Nick managed to do all right with him.

cosmodrum

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 08:46:48 am

Tired. Ole. Crap.
Go away, batin'

hoghearted

Nick also had the advantage of a stout defense. He didnt have to lean so heavily on his offense, as do we.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Atlhogfan1

I won't be shocked in the least.  Last season, personnel and the health of it dictated what we did.  Passing plays were there to be made but one part or both failed in the execution.  Talent should increase with Wilson coming back, Fr who could help and the development of our young TE's.  And we actually will have depth at qb even if it is inexperienced as a whole. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 19, 2014, 11:08:32 am
Further proof that some of you will complain about anything.  All of a sudden JC is a bad OC to some on here because of questionable play calling but those same guys had no problem with BP's play calling.  Brilliant...

If you can watch them both call a game, and don't come away with BP being the FAR superior play-caller, then that's a you problem.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HamHands

Hootie, is that you?
One day at a time.

bigbadhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 19, 2014, 11:23:29 am
Tired. Ole. Crap.

This was in response to Tired. Ole. Crap about how BB's conservative style is going to be the savior of our football program.  We will run it down people throats and try to have an "efficient" passing game.  It worked so great for Hatfield, Crowe, Ford and Nutt so let's bring it back with BB...  Yeah, I know how you feel

dwcherr

I like Chaney and think he will get it done here. But to act like his play calling has been unquestionable is hilarious. He is 9-31 as an SEC OC. That's 9 wins, 31 losses.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 11:35:23 am
This was in response to Tired. Ole. Crap about how BB's conservative style is going to be the savior of our football program.  We will run it down people throats and try to have an "efficient" passing game.  It worked so great for Hatfield, Crowe, Ford and Nutt so let's bring it back with BB...  Yeah, I know how you feel

Hmm...who'd a thunk?  All this time I thought it was your attitude that was going to save the program.   :P

bigbadhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 19, 2014, 11:38:23 am
Hmm...who'd a thunk?  All this time I thought it was your attitude that was going to save the program.   :P

It sure won't be the rose colored glasses and kool aid that save it... 

Hawgon

Well, one of those has at times been regarded as the best play caller in the NFL and college, and the other is 9-31 in the SEC as a play caller.

Arkansas Fan

I had problems with some of Petrino's play calling. He'd call a toss play on a third and three to a guy like Broderick Green...

bigbadhog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 19, 2014, 11:56:29 am
I had problems with some of Petrino's play calling. He'd call a toss play on a third and three to a guy like Broderick Green...

Petrino is the best play-caller in the universe and you didn't have to worry about OC's leaving because it was still his offense - much like GM.  It is nice when the offense stays with the HC and doesn't leave with the OC...

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: three hog night on March 19, 2014, 07:51:50 am
The word is that Chaney is going to be opening up the offense, and it will look more like his offense at Tenner.

It makes sense:
-BA is healthy and has good passing skills, but needs to go through his progressions
-WR corp looks to be better this year.  Demetrius Wilson appears to be ready for a break through.
-The oline is gelling
-The run game will be better if the safeties have to help CB's in coverage instead of playing run support like last year.

Unless Rafe Peavey is going to be a stud as a true freshman then I don't see it. Our QB play was bad to terrible last year

Steef

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 19, 2014, 12:10:08 pm
Petrino is the best play-caller in the universe and you didn't have to worry about OC's leaving because it was still his offense - much like GM.  It is nice when the offense stays with the HC and doesn't leave with the OC...

Bobby had easily one of the best offensive minds around. Maybe in history.

But he didn't always put it to use. "Fan" is correct. Broderie would sometimes get the carry 2-3 times in a row for no gain. Happened a LOT in our last squeaker against Ole Miss.

Stubborn? Or texting Sweetie? Who knows? But play calling in 2011 was hardly "brilliant".

Hawgon

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 12:16:06 pm
Bobby had easily one of the best offensive minds around. Maybe in history.

But he didn't always put it to use. "Fan" is correct. Broderie would sometimes get the carry 2-3 times in a row for no gain. Happened a LOT in our last squeaker against Ole Miss.

Stubborn? Or texting Sweetie? Who knows? But play calling in 2011 was hardly "brilliant".

But good enough for our best season in more than 20 years, arguably longer.