Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring practice report: March 18, 2014 UPDATED

Started by Ugly Uncle, March 18, 2014, 06:20:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

acey33

Steef

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 19, 2014, 06:49:33 am

And please, some of you need to stop pretending that you understand what you see when you watch football. You don't. You just watch, and you have emotional reactions, and you pretend that your feelings are knowledge, and they're just frustration.

QFT

three hog night

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 19, 2014, 01:56:45 am
2009: Mallett had previous starting experience at Michigan. Had an entire year to sit and learn Petrino's offense. Had A CB and a S who made the 53 man roster, and NFL DE, an NFL LB, 4 NFL OL players, 3 NFL RB's, 2 NFL TE's, and 4 NFL WR's. He only won 7 regular season games, and he was the best qb to ever play at Arkansas.

Based on performance at both the college and pro levels, I'd have to give the nod to Joe Ferguson. 

EFBAB

three hog night

Quote from: Trm123 on March 19, 2014, 02:02:31 am
If BA plays like he did against LSU and Miss State. We will def be bowling this year. He played well enough to win those games our Def didn't and an ill timed fumble against Miss State. BA's shoulder was a big issue in his arm strength and confidence last year, but I know how driven he is to prove everyone wrong this year.

This is the same view I have that you could see his improvement paralleled his healing.  He will be fine if the WR's improve.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

three hog night

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 05:45:16 am
You can tell you have never played football or any sport for that matter. As an athlete you are taught to "suck it up" and don't make excuses. Of course he doesn't blame it on the injury - that's what a football player is suppose to say. This is not your Xbox.

+1 to ya....I've been dying to say it, but you said it best.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SoonerSooie on March 19, 2014, 05:33:10 am
In regard to Brandon A. How many times have we read on this board that this or that player is not SEC worthy, they oughta transfer to a smaller school, they are a wasted schollie, etc. etc.. But then, amazingly, with some maturity, some playing time, some experience, they have turned out just fine, indeed exceptional? IMHO, we are waaay to quick to write off  a player before they have a chance to mature. I am confident the coaches play the players they believe give us the best chance to win. That meant that last year, they played Brandon. Okay, he may or may not show that he can do it now. I am personally hoping that he is one of the "late bloomers" and turns it on! If not, others are waiting in the wings.
WPS!
Ahh....but this is HV where some will perpetually complain and claim that no matter the situation our coaches will play only those players who AREN'T the best option at their respective positions. Haven't you learned yet? Those who complain about B.A. or anyone else have the knowledge and experience the coaches don't. These grippers are able to observe the kids during practice (even when closed), winter workouts, position meetings, film study, etc. while the rest of the coaches do what ever they do to waste time. And let's not even consider the possibility a kid could actually mature and make progress by learning from his past mistakes. I'm truly amazed you haven't realized all this by now. Don't worry though, you'll get the hang of it yet.

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 05:47:59 am
Yep you are speaking from the other end of the horse. One of the other QBs may very well beat him out, but your comments are nonsense. As many have pointed out to you, BA was showing improvement before the injury.
BA was showing improvement against ULL?  Samford?  Southern Miss?  If he can't look good against those teams, I'd be even more concerned.

Let's be honest for a minute.  Based on what we've seen from a RSJunior, does he fit the bill in the SEC?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 18, 2014, 10:57:46 pm
From the horses mouth.

He seems like a good kid, but not an SEC QB.  Time to give someone else the reps and game experience.  He had a year to prove that he was qualified.
"From the horses' mouth"?! Didn't you really mean to say "jacka$$"?

Poker_hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 19, 2014, 01:56:45 am

B. Allen is faster than Tyler Wilson, has a quicker, more compact release, and throws a better deep ball while being accurate with touch on shorter passes. The difference right now is between the ears.

TW throws a much better deep ball.  He was also much tougher. 
Not saying BA has to get multiple concussions like TW, but there's no denying BA looks much better with the green jersey on than on game day especially with the game on the line.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

trashcan maN

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 19, 2014, 12:04:59 am

What's the definition of insanity again?  Trying to play BAllen and expecting different results.
Didn't your Lit teacher warn you against using tired cliches?

You're basically saying that any first year starter who has a bad year should not start again because the results will be the same. Ridiculous..

three hog night

How do some of you feel good about derailing a thread about spring practice and turning it into an all out bashing of Brandon Allen?

Kevin

if we had wr, after all the practices & class room meetings, and film sessions, running wrong routes all season, then somebody needs to be fired.

either bench the players who are not doing it right or get rid of the coach who cannot get them to do it right.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 19, 2014, 07:53:35 am
BA was showing improvement against ULL?  Samford?  Southern Miss?  If he can't look good against those teams, I'd be even more concerned.

Let's be honest for a minute.  Based on what we've seen from a RSJunior, does he fit the bill in the SEC?

Let's be honest for a second - everyone of your posts have been totally lacking in objectivity. Hence people, not just me, continuing to challenge your logic. Many of these people over the years on Hogville have proven themselves to be very knowledgeable in football.

You, my friend, have not. Sorry if that stings, but some where you need to ask yourself why your comments are always being challenged? I am trying to be as nice and honest as possible.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

trashcan maN

Quote from: Kevin on March 19, 2014, 08:28:47 am
if we had wr, after all the practices & class room meetings, and film sessions, running wrong routes all season, then somebody needs to be fired.

either bench the players who are not doing it right or get rid of the coach who cannot get them to do it right.
Not every route is a quick slant or 15 yd post. Many routes have 2-3 options based on what the defense does. It's not uncommon for a WR to make an incorrect read and throw the QBs timing off. It happens all the time - even in the NFL.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 19, 2014, 08:28:47 am

Kevin, how many WRs played last year? How many freshmen played last year? I think the coaches were looking for a WR that could run the correct routes. You cannot bench everyone. Also look at the senior WRs and ask yourself how many of them saw game time when CBP was coach? CBP was a monster on players being precise and these guys were not given much time on the field.

It may have been due to they could not comprehend the correct reads and run precise routes. Then they had a year of "loosey goosey" coaching from CPP. So it doesn't surprise me this issue is popping up. IMHO
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

three hog night

ULL
Arkansas   C/ATT   YDS   AVG   TD   INT
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Allen             9/17   125   7.4   2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?   

ChitownHawg

Quote from: three hog night on March 19, 2014, 08:45:42 am
ULL
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Allen             9/17   125   7.4   2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?

Good stats, so hopefully some will stop with the nonsense that BA totally sucked. I think BA has the chance to silence the critics this year. Yet, for some strange reason I feel no matter how good he does some will not own up to their erroneous analysis of him.

Please note I am NOT saying he didn't have bad games as he did. I am disagreeing with the notion he showed NO improvement last year.

I try to find a positive in everything and this year it will be that if something happens to BA the QBs behind him should be more ready than last year.

dazerback

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 05:45:16 am
You can tell you have never played football or any sport for that matter. As an athlete you are taught to "suck it up" and don't make excuses. Of course he doesn't blame it on the injury - that's what a football player is suppose to say. This is not your Xbox.

I was the captain of a 4A team you psychic. And i dont own a game system...anyway if he admits to the injury holding him back that would be better than him acting like it didn't bother him because then there would be a legit reason to feel better about his improvement and him moving forward as the starter, right?.. but since he didnt admit to the injury now we are thinking about how poorly performed last year and if his injury wasnt bothering him what does that most likely point to this coming up season? A repeat. because Its not common enough that bad qbs turn into great qbs over a year so its more likely than not that he will continue as before. lets just hope he doesnt fall down or tackle himself if he does end up being our guy.

three hog night

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 08:51:53 am
I was the captain of a 4A team you psychic. And i dont own a game system...anyway if he admits to the injury holding him back that would be better than him acting like it didn't bother him because then there would be a legit reason to feel better about his improvement and him moving forward as the starter, right?.. but since he didnt admit to the injury now we are thinking about how poorly performed last year and if his injury wasnt bothering him what does that most likely point to this coming up season? A repeat. because Its not common enough that bad qbs turn into great qbs over a year so its more likely than not that he will continue as before. lets just hope he doesnt fall down or tackle himself if he does end up being our guy.

Dazer you need to look at the stats I posted above.   They came from ESPN.  I am very interested to hear your expert opinion.

ChitownHawg

Then someone was teaching you wrong because every coach I played for and the ones I watched would not allow injuries to be an excuse. So if you really did play I am not sure why this concept is so hard for you to accept. It is a very common concept in sports.

dazerback

Quote from: three hog night on March 19, 2014, 08:54:37 am
Dazer you need to look at the stats I posted above.   They came from ESPN.  I am very interested to hear your expert opinion.

I never claimed expert status Im just putting my opinion out there. thats what these boards are for right? and the stats show improvement. of course. they are from espn so you know they are good. We would all hope that much. but how much improvement is to be made ? I didnt say there wasnt going to be improvement, but will it be enough to make him a winning QB? Im just pointing out what is more likely to happen.

ChitownHawg

Sorry I missed this gem of a statement. Are you kidding me? Go look up Clint Stoerner's college stats. For many QBs the light doesn't come on instantly, but by their junior year it does.

Corkscrew Johnson

It is unrealistic to expect a freshman or sophomore quarterback to be very successful in the SEC.  Brandon Allen has always had the talent to be a solid junior QB, and potentially a very good senior QB.  The only reason he was thrown into the fire as a freshman is because our senior QB got hurt, and the only reason we had to play him as a sophomore is because there was nobody else.  It's not really fair to blame him for your own unrealistic expectations for performance of a 3* underclassmen QB. I do expect him to produce as a junior, which should have been his timeline for starting all along.   

dazerback

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 08:55:51 am
Then someone was teaching you wrong because every coach I played for and the ones I watched would not allow injuries to be an excuse. So if you really did play I am not sure why this concept is so hard for you to accept. It is a very common concept in sports.

Your not telling me anything new. and I get the concept.. and clint stoerner is one guy, and im aware he isnt the only one. but can you provide a stat for how frequently this happens in college football as a whole? id be willing to bet that more likely than not bad QBs ultimately dont turn into great QBs (eventhough there may be improvement.

Hawgon

I've never heard a coach or player say during spring practice, "We suck and it is going to be a rough year next year."  It is always optimistic and upbeat...as it should be, but it isn't necessarily reality. 

Unless a team is so bad that it is completely obvious, spring practice doesn't augur much of anything. 

three hog night

After reading your whiney crap, I still have a hard time believing you played football period...much less as a captain.  I would love to know what kind of team/players you had that would vote you as a captain with the character you have displayed on here.

grayhawg

When BA was finally at about 80% healthy against LSU he was 19 of 29 for 178 yards, 2TD and 1 int in death valley. The same defence that held A&M's Manziel to 16 of 41 passing the week before.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:02:33 am
Your not telling me anything new. and I get the concept.. and clint stoerner is one guy. can you provide a stat for how frequently this happens in college football as a whole?

Can you? Tyler Bray and Conner Shaw are two more. What I have found are studies showing blue chip QBs do continue to progress upward. From everything I know of BA he was considered a blue chip QB coming out of Fayetteville. Enough so that CBP wanted him.

dazerback

Quote from: three hog night on March 19, 2014, 09:09:08 am
After reading your whiney crap, I still have a hard time believing you played football period...much less as a captain.  I would love to know what kind of team/players you had that would vote you as a captain with the character you have displayed on here.

Where did I whine? Im expressing whats more likely to happen than not in my opinion.. whats wrong with that? there are some sensitive people on here.. I dont think I typed anywhere "Oh No! Not BA again!" or "WE hired the wrong coach." I would consider those whines.. I am hopeful for BA, dont get me wrong...

And I have poor character for exhibiting logical consistency??? You're the one attacking my character in the first place, sir.

If anyone is appealing to emotion. it is you.

ChitownHawg

I wanted to call him on this as well, but chose not to. He is using flawed logic. He wants to say on the whole QBs who do bad remain bad. Well that is flawed logic. How many blue chip QBs are in college football? Is it the majority or minority. I would guess minority.

Thus the stats of progression would be watered down due to the number of non blue chip QBs. Now look at the blue chips and you do see a progression in skills.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:19:30 am
Where did I whine? Im expressing whats more likely to happen than not in my opinion.. whats wrong with that? there are some sensitive people on here.. I dont think I typed anywhere "Oh No! Not BA again!" or "WE hired the wrong coach." I would consider those whines.. I am hopeful for BA, dont get me wrong...

Fair enough statement. I promise to back off and not be a total jerk. Notice I said total  :D

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:02:33 am
Your not telling me anything new. and I get the concept.. and clint stoerner is one guy, and im aware he isnt the only one. but can you provide a stat for how frequently this happens in college football as a whole? id be willing to bet that more likely than not bad QBs ultimately dont turn into great QBs (eventhough there may be improvement.

Ron Calcagni

Mulberry Squeezins

I'm with you.  Dude probably played the trombone in the marching band

Steef

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:19:30 am
Where did I whine? Im expressing whats more likely to happen than not in my opinion.. whats wrong with that? there are some sensitive people on here.. I dont think I typed anywhere "Oh No! Not BA again!" or "WE hired the wrong coach." ]I would consider those whines.. I am hopeful for BA, dont get me wrong...

If anyone is appealing to emotion. it is you.

hmmmm.......

lets just hope he doesnt fall down or tackle himself if he does end up being our guy.

dazerback

a winning team, with very athletic players.

Squealers

Quote from: dazerback on March 18, 2014, 11:30:15 pm
Please provide me with logical consistency, emperical adequacy, and experiential relevance to why I shouldn't feel uneasy about BA being the starting qb and then maybe I will start to feel a little more better.

dazerback...." let the dude go sit the bench. he sucks as a sec qb"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You mean logical consistency, emperical adequacy, and experiential relevance like this? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

dazerback

Steef

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:36:02 am
you obviously arent very good at recognizing humor.

You're not very good at writing humor. Or admitting when you're wrong.

dazerback

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 09:37:03 am
You're not very good at writing humor. Or admitting when you're wrong.

Well im sorry that wasn't up to par with what you consider humor..
and I didnt claim to be right or wrong. Im dealing purely with possibilities, nothing definite.

dazerback

Quote from: dustypig on March 19, 2014, 09:30:46 am
I'm with you.  Dude probably played the trombone in the marching band

Wow!
I hope the people that actually played/play trombone for marching band on here don't read your degrading comment..

Steef

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:41:17 am
and I didnt claim to be right or wrong. Im dealing purely with possibilities, nothing definite.

The reason you're getting flack from others in this and other threads, is all the 'possibilities' you seem interested in...are negative ones.

None of us were dazzled by BA last year. That's not news. All of us are going to be watching him close this season, for the exact same reasons you are.

But along with the possibility that he might flounder, is the other (very real) possibility that his light bulb comes on (which does happen at this point in a lot of college athletes' careers) and his shoulder actually is healed and his receivers actually get open where they're supposed to be and his line protects him....

And he does a journeyman job at QB.

Is he likely to be Joe Montana? No....that's a remote possibility. But he could be another AJ McCarron.

Ying and yang, instead of just ying.

three hog night

Give it up and admit you were wrong and stop using lies about Humor.

dazerback

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 09:52:35 am
The reason you're getting flack from others in this and other threads, is all the 'possibilities' you seem interested in...are negative ones.

None of us were dazzled by BA last year. That's not news. All of us are going to be watching him close this season, for the exact same reasons you are.

But along with the possibility that he might flounder, is the other (very real) possibility that his light bulb comes on (which does happen at this point in a lot of college athletes' careers) and his shoulder actually is healed and his receivers actually get open where they're supposed to be and his line protects him....

Is he likely to be Joe Montana? No....that's a remote possibility. But he could be another AJ McCarron.

I hear you.

But were there more positives or negatives with BA the last 2 seasons?
Maybe that's why Im trending towards the negatives.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 19, 2014, 12:04:59 am
What's the definition of insanity again?  Trying to play BAllen and expecting different results.

You are just blabbing. Fine. You're emotional about the subject. Just do not pretend that anything you're writing makes sense. It would be good for a discussion at a bar, after about six drinks.
[CENSORED]!

three hog night

As for your character and leadership acumen, this gem you wrote about Michael Dyer joining the Hogs told me all I needed to know about you

Quote from: dazerback on May 17, 2013, 02:57:32 pm
would be awesome to have him running the ball too next year.. stoned or not. he is good.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: dazerback on March 19, 2014, 09:56:49 am
I hear you.

But were there more positives or negatives with BA the last 2 seasons?
Maybe that's why Im trending towards the negatives.

Two issues here:

Which quarterback is the best one Arkansas has for 2014.

Is that good enough to win.

Are you questioning the first answer, or the second?
[CENSORED]!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: steefhog on March 19, 2014, 09:52:35 am

Could not have said it better myself. Now if the need arises later can I copy your statement and claim it as my thoughts?  :D

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on March 19, 2014, 08:32:00 am
Let's be honest for a second - everyone of your posts have been totally lacking in objectivity. Hence people, not just me, continuing to challenge your logic. Many of these people over the years on Hogville have proven themselves to be very knowledgeable in football.

You, my friend, have not. Sorry if that stings, but some where you need to ask yourself why your comments are always being challenged? I am trying to be as nice and honest as possible.
Everyone's comments are challenged.  It's a message board.  That's what they are for.  If BA is a serviceable game manager and makes noticeable improvements, I'll be the first to sing his praise.  But until it's seen I will speak objectively.