Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring practice report: March 18, 2014 UPDATED

Started by Ugly Uncle, March 18, 2014, 06:20:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

March 18, 2014, 06:20:42 pm Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:36:01 pm by Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter
Coaches and players should be in to talk to the media in about 20 minutes.  Practice was closed today, but we will get to talk to the offensive coaches and players in a few minutes.

Coaches that will be available to talk to:
Coach Chaney
Coach Pittman
Coach Thomas

Players that will be available:
Keon Hatcher
Brandon Allen
Austin Allen
Jonathon Williams
Dan Skipper
Hunter Henry

I don't know if I will be able to talk to all of them as they are all brought in at once, but I will do my best to get to all of them.
Retired Radio Host

PorkSoda

we demand to know who the starting QB will be!!

surely they have had enough time to fully evaluate them.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

B501

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 18, 2014, 06:21:43 pm

take a step back friend early yet

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 18, 2014, 06:21:43 pm

surely they have had enough time to fully evaluate them.
Is Korliss better than Alex?

PygmalionEffect

How is Koehler looking coming off the injury?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SquidBilly

Wayne Watson

It's been over an hour.  Y'all still talking?
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Ugly Uncle

Some quick notes:

Chaney said that Brandon Allen is looking good.  Way too early to call who will challenge him, but from the way Chaney talked it is Brandon  Allen's job to lose.

Brandon said that he is the same weight but he has lost fat and gained muscle and will continue to do so.

Keon Hatcher said that last year had too many guys not knowing what they were suppose to do or where they were suppose to go.  This year they are working at knowing and being confident in what they are doing.

Jonathon Williams said that even though he has gotten bigger, stronger and faster that his biggest improvement has been mental.  He said that he has spent hours in film study looking at what he can do better.  Said that people consider him the big back, but that he believes he is the big play guy as well. 

Austin Allen said  that being in competition with his brother is nothing new, they've been doing it their whole lives.

Coach Pittman said that Reeve Koehler is looking very good coming off of injury.  He said that Luke Charpentier is running with the 1s at center and Boyd is running with the 2s.

Trying to upload videos from my ipad right now for you to see.
Retired Radio Host

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Ugly Uncle

I forgot to mention that I talked to D.J. Williams today.  He said that he got to watch practice, and that the new guys...the true freshmen and new arrivals looked VERY good.  He got to watch practice and he said he doesn't even know their names, but he was really impressed with how all the new guys looked.
Retired Radio Host

thefisher

Thanks Ched! We junkies are most appreciative of all you do to keep us informed!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Cartoon Man

flagstaffhog

Ahhh, some Razorback football news. Thank you very much,  Sir.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

secneahog

Keep em coming.

BA does sound alot more confident when he talks. That is for sure.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ldfergu

Enjoyed what Chaney had to say about the importance of stability among coaching staffs.  There a quite a few that fail to realize how crucial that is to long term success. I agree we needed some changes but I hope we keep the guys we've got for awhile. I'm optimistic that they will get it done in time

hogwild210

At the end of last season Brandon was still looking like a baby faced kid. He now looks like a man and has an air about him that exudes confidence...or at least that's what I got from the 1:30 video.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

hogwild210

March 18, 2014, 10:32:27 pm #21 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:50:58 pm by TOM "tbw1" W.

I don't think anyone has seen enough to make that kind of statement, given the circumstances.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

dazerback

bold statement or not....everybody should feel uneasy if he is our guy!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: dazerback on March 18, 2014, 10:29:12 pm
He also said that his injury didnt phase him that much last year when a lot of people on here are trying to be optimistic that he was never 100% in 2013... let the dude go sit the bench. he sucks as a sec qb

No player worth anything would admit that an injury made them play poorly.

Prestworthy

He also said that his injury didnt phase him that much last year when a lot of people on here are trying to be optimistic that he was never 100% in 2013... let the dude go sit the bench. he sucks as a sec qb
From the horses mouth.

He seems like a good kid, but not an SEC QB.  Time to give someone else the reps and game experience.  He had a year to prove that he was qualified.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: dazerback on March 18, 2014, 10:34:36 pm
bold statement or not....everybody should feel uneasy if he is our guy!!
I guess everybody is uneasy then because Chaney said today that Brandon Allen is getting most of the work at QB with Austin Allen listed as #2.

Mitchell and Peavey are working as the #3  QBs, meaning they aren't getting a lot of reps.

I don't feel uneasy but maybe I'm not dialed into my inner self.

cmiller01

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 18, 2014, 10:57:46 pm
From the horses mouth.

He seems like a good kid, but not an SEC QB.  Time to give someone else the reps and game experience.  He had a year to prove that he was qualified.

Yeah that video brought up a lot of bad memories from last season. Same ole' crap.

If Austin or one of the incoming Freshman are not ready it will be like our offense hitting repeat on last season.

dazerback

Please provide me with logical consistency, emperical adequacy, and experiential relevance to why I shouldn't feel uneasy about BA being the starting qb and then maybe I will start to feel a little more better.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Alright forget using a QB.  Let's just run a triple option w JWill, Collins and Marshall.

redeye

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 18, 2014, 07:44:28 pm
Some quick notes:

Chaney said that Brandon Allen is looking good.  Way too early to call who will challenge him, but from the way Chaney talked it is Brandon  Allen's job to lose.

Thanks Ched!

I'm not complaining, but hasn't that basically been said about BA all along?  Seems like he always looks great in practice, but struggles in games.  I really hope he's ready to turn the corner, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical.

ldfergu

Quote from: dazerback on March 18, 2014, 11:30:15 pm
Please provide me with logical consistency, emperical adequacy, and experiential relevance to why I shouldn't feel uneasy about BA being the starting qb and then maybe I will start to feel a little more better.

Let the derailment begin.

Dude he's our most experienced guy. If there's someone better, guess what? They will play. It's quite simple to understand

Prestworthy

Quote from: hog13hog on March 18, 2014, 11:34:15 pm
Alright forget using a QB.  Let's just run a triple option w JWill, Collins and Marshall.
Worked well for Aubbie.

Also worked well for my intramural team.

Prestworthy

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on March 19, 2014, 12:00:33 am
Let the derailment begin.

Dude he's our most experienced guy. If there's someone better, guess what? They will play. It's quite simple to understand
Not always the case.  Sometimes guys shine when the lights come on.  Some are natural leaders and just need the opportunity.  See Kurt Warner in 1999.  2nd string behind Trent Green...Green goes down in preseason with ACL....Kurt wins a Superbowl.

What's the definition of insanity again?  Trying to play BAllen and expecting different results.

hogcam

870hogfan

Quote from: hogcam on March 19, 2014, 12:19:57 am
Did only the offense coaches speak today?

Defensive coaches and players probably speak tomorrow.

Uncommon

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawg_Thai'd

Ched, really appreciate the posts. It's good to hear some things coming out of camp. Keep up the good work.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogcam on March 19, 2014, 12:19:57 am
Did only the offense coaches speak today?

Yes.  Thursday we get to watch the practice.  The defensive coaches and players will be made available to us after practice.  Then there will be a break...called spring...and the next practice will be April 1st.  That will be a closed practice, but media will get to talk to offensive coaches and players again that day.

Someone asked about Reeve Koehler...here is Sam Pittman discussing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fgLP-shzf4&list=UUJ8I3cDZsT9kq-Ah-70lQuw
Retired Radio Host

bennyl08

2009: Mallett had previous starting experience at Michigan. Had an entire year to sit and learn Petrino's offense. Had A CB and a S who made the 53 man roster, and NFL DE, an NFL LB, 4 NFL OL players, 3 NFL RB's, 2 NFL TE's, and 4 NFL WR's. He only won 7 regular season games, and he was the best qb to ever play at Arkansas.

B. Allen is faster than Tyler Wilson, has a quicker, more compact release, and throws a better deep ball while being accurate with touch on shorter passes. The difference right now is between the ears. For an anecdote, my novice year of HS debate, we had to watch the Finals of the state tournament in debate from the previous year and write down as much as we could. Out of about a 40 minute debate, I literally only understood 5 or 6 words, they were talking so fast. The next year, we showed the novices the same video and I understood every word and honestly, I felt like I had heard faster. Last year was BA's novice year.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Trm123

If BA plays like he did against LSU and Miss State. We will def be bowling this year. He played well enough to win those games our Def didn't and an ill timed fumble against Miss State. BA's shoulder was a big issue in his arm strength and confidence last year, but I know how driven he is to prove everyone wrong this year.

secneahog

Did anyone listen to what Keon Hatcher had to say?....

He said most of the WR's were basically running the wrong routes half the time.

Stop blaming everything on BA. And please don't ever compare our qb situation to a future hall of famer that got his chance in the NFL.

geez......
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

cosmodrum

More better, eh?
Go away, batin'

Steef

You guys are making WAY too much out of these comments.

They have to say SOMETHING to the reporters, when there really isnt anything to say. Which means they are in "coach speak" mode.

Its interesting, since we all love football and its Spring. We're thirsty.

But its meaningless. Don't get worked up over it.

SoonerSooie

In regard to Brandon A. How many times have we read on this board that this or that player is not SEC worthy, they oughta transfer to a smaller school, they are a wasted schollie, etc. etc.. But then, amazingly, with some maturity, some playing time, some experience, they have turned out just fine, indeed exceptional? IMHO, we are waaay to quick to write off  a player before they have a chance to mature. I am confident the coaches play the players they believe give us the best chance to win. That meant that last year, they played Brandon. Okay, he may or may not show that he can do it now. I am personally hoping that he is one of the "late bloomers" and turns it on! If not, others are waiting in the wings.
WPS!

ChitownHawg

You can tell you have never played football or any sport for that matter. As an athlete you are taught to "suck it up" and don't make excuses. Of course he doesn't blame it on the injury - that's what a football player is suppose to say. This is not your Xbox.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 18, 2014, 10:57:46 pm
From the horses mouth.

Yep you are speaking from the other end of the horse. One of the other QBs may very well beat him out, but your comments are nonsense. As many have pointed out to you, BA was showing improvement before the injury.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: cmiller01 on March 18, 2014, 11:08:53 pm
Yeah that video brought up a lot of bad memories from last season. Same ole' crap.

If Austin or one of the incoming Freshman are not ready it will be like our offense hitting repeat on last season.

Whatever. If someone beats out Brandon Allen, then Arkansas will really be in good shape. It is going to take a great performance to beat out BA.

And please, some of you need to stop pretending that you understand what you see when you watch football. You don't. You just watch, and you have emotional reactions, and you pretend that your feelings are knowledge, and they're just frustration.
[CENSORED]!

acey33

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 19, 2014, 01:56:45 am
2009: Mallett had previous starting experience at Michigan. Had an entire year to sit and learn Petrino's offense. Had A CB and a S who made the 53 man roster, and NFL DE, an NFL LB, 4 NFL OL players, 3 NFL RB's, 2 NFL TE's, and 4 NFL WR's. He only won 7 regular season games, and he was the best qb to ever play at Arkansas.

B. Allen is faster than Tyler Wilson, has a quicker, more compact release, and throws a better deep ball while being accurate with touch on shorter passes.

WRONG, I don't know what games you watched last year but he was late on a lot of throws. Especially the deep throws (1or 2 a game if that) Quick release? haven't seen it yet. I know he had a injury and I thought his release would get better over time but it didn't happen.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 19, 2014, 12:04:59 am
Not always the case.  Sometimes guys shine when the lights come on.  Some are natural leaders and just need the opportunity.  See Kurt Warner in 1999.  2nd string behind Trent Green...Green goes down in preseason with ACL....Kurt wins a Superbowl.

What's the definition of insanity again?  Trying to play BAllen and expecting different results.

The definition if insanity is a severe mental illness : the condition of being insane.

But I assume you mean the popular phrase that insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The fact is there are lots of players that have sucked one year and improved the next. Will BA be that guy? Time will tell.