Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Basketball Players Leaving Early for the NBA Watch - 2014 Edition

Started by jbcarol, March 18, 2014, 08:28:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

SI NBA Mock Draft 2.0

1. Cleveland Cavaliers -- Joel Embiid, C, Kansas freshman, 7-foot-0, 250 pounds

Quote7. Los Angeles Lakers -- Julius Randle, F, Kentucky freshman, 6-9, 250
Pack your bags, Pau Gasol. Randle is a versatile scorer who should be able to contribute immediately. NBA executives continue to question his defense and short wingspan, but there is little doubt that Randle will become a bona fide frontcourt scorer.

14. Phoenix Suns -- Rodney Hood, G/F, Duke sophomore, 6-9, 208
[Former Mississippi State player who transferred at the end of the Stansbury/Sidney run.]

18. Phoenix Suns -- James Young, G, Kentucky freshman, 6-7, 213
With its second of three first-round picks, the Suns can continue to load up on perimeter threats with Young. He was a streaky shooter at Kentucky last season, sinking only 34.9 percent from beyond the arc, but he has great size and athleticism at shooting guard. Bledsoe is 6-1 and Dragic is 6-3, so Young would offer an interesting contrast in Phoenix's backcourt.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  20h
Blog: NBA Draft maven Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) fields questions about Jarnell Stokes, Jordan McRae http://knoxblogs.com/fastbreak/2014/06/09/qa-nba-draft-expert-chad-ford-talks-jordan-mcrae-jarnell-stokes/ ...

QuoteFord: I think there's a good chance Jarnell goes in the first round. He brings a premium NBA skill to the table (rebounding) that typically translates from the NCAA to the NBA. He's also a darling of the analytics crowd. Most of them have him rated as a Top 10 pick.

He's an elite rebounder for his position. That's the big plus in his favor. He has long arms which off-set his lack of ideal height for the position. He has the strength to carve out position in the paint. He's actually pretty athletic and would be even more so if he lost some weight. He's also younger than most of the players in his class which is a good thing when it comes to the draft...

Q: McRae is 23 years old. Will that hold him back?

Ford: Age is a turn-off. It's an analytics thing. But the basic idea is that if it takes you until you are 22 or 23 to be great in college, you have an inherent advantage because of your age. It doesn't mean you suddenly became a better basketball player. It means you were just more experienced than everyone else. Obviously that advantage immediately disappears when you go to the NBA.

Rob Fischer @thefishnation  ·  21h
Former Vol @JarnellStokes worked out for @memgrizz , "This is surreal. There's no place like home. I love Memphis"
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  Jun 13
Some teams still concerned. @SherrodbCSN: Julius Randle said he is "pain free", has no plans to have any surgical procedure on right foot.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  Jun 13
Regarding Julius Randle: Multiple teams worried about his foot being an issue down the road. Feel it did not heal correctly.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  4h
Joel Embiid suffered a stress fracture to his right foot. Surgery tomorrow -- his agent told ESPN.

Feel terrible for Joel Embiid - terrific kid who missed NCAA tourney & went from likely No. 1 pick to a guy who could fall in June 26 Draft.

jbcarol

ESPN's Chad Ford has confirmed the list of 21 players who have been invited to the green room for Thursday night's NBA Draft.

They include:
Joel Embiid, Kansas
Rodney Hood, Duke (State transfer)
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Shabazz Napier, Connecticut
Adreian Payne, Michigan State
Julius Randle, Kentucky
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
James Young, Kentucky
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas

jbcarol

Car service crash interrupts Stokes' draft plan

QuoteJarnell Stokes didn't look up from his phone.

The Tennessee junior was in the backseat of a car service sedan, heading to the airport in Tampa, Florida, to catch a flight to Miami for his first NBA draft workout, when an oncoming car slammed into the driver's side, right near where he was sitting.

He wasn't wearing a seat belt.

At the moment of impact, Stokes raised his right arm to brace himself against the partition in the middle of the car. His head slammed into his arm, not the glass.

"It saved my life," said Stokes, a forward projected as a mid-to-late first-round pick in next Thursday's draft.

The Florida Highway Patrol confirmed that the two-car crash occurred in Bradenton, Florida, at approximately 1 p.m. at the corner of Fifth Street West and Cortez Road on May 24.

"I basically had to slow everything down to unlock my door," Stokes said. "The limo driver was yelling for help. I was able to open his door and get him out. As I was walking out of the car, I felt a sensitivity to sunlight."

Despite feeling woozy from what would later be determined as a concussion, Stokes started jumping up and down. He was worried his basketball career was over.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  17h
This ... NBA Mock Twitter Draft between myself & @chadfordinsider is What WE would do, not what we think teams will do.#NBAFrontOffice.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  16h
.@chadfordinsider @ESPNInsider I am taking Julius Randle w/ No. 5 pick for Milwaukee Bucks (obtained via trade with Utah). #NBAFrontOffice.

Chad Ford @chadfordinsider  ·  16h
.@ESPNInsider The Hawks select James Young at No. 15. This is who Phx should've taken at 14. All 6 Hawks fans thank you @GoodmanESPN

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  15h
.@espninsider @chadfordinsider The Miami Heat are ecstatic and grab Jordan Clarkson at No. 26 in the steal of the draft. #nbafrontoffice

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  3h
Jordan Clarkson. @ESPNCBB: ________ is the most underrated NBA draft prospect."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  25m

"He (Julius Randle) and Jarnell Stokes are probably the two best rebounders." - Jay Bilas on the NBA draft teleconference

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  2h
ESPN's @chadfordinsider says Julius Randle skipped second workout with Celtics for interview with GQ.

jbcarol

Australian guard Dante Exum is a projected Top 5 pick in tomorrow night's NBA Draft...

Exum's father, Cecil told Jeff Goodman:

QuoteKentucky's John Calipari even threw out the possibility of Dante joining Kentucky for the second semester of the season and jumping right into the fire.

"He would have been at a major disadvantage," Cecil said. "Behind the eight-ball. I shot that down and told the other schools that was not an option."

jbcarol

People have been watching Johnny O'Bryant play basketball for about as long as he can remember.

His preparation for a life-changing day has honed the Mississippi native's focus more than he ever imagined.

Since declaring for the 2014 NBA Draft, which is Thursday (7 p.m. CDT | ESPN), O'Bryant has headed off in every direction to take part in 16 workouts in addition to some individual work and some 3-on-3 action with other prospects.

Along the way, the 6-foot-9 big man has re-sculpted his body to a svelte 255 pounds and spent plenty of sweat and energy with one goal in mind.

Quote"It feels good to finally be this close," O'Bryant said Tuesday from the Detroit airport, fresh off the last of his auditions. "It's crazy. This is what you work for all your life, and now it's here.

"I've been flying all over the place and working out, and it's starting to hit home that this is business now. But it's not a bad job to have, you know?"

... And he loves the notion of his cell phone ringing Thursday night and looking at a TV screen as his name pops up.

That's where a dream is hatched, after all.

"Yeah I have thought about what it's going to feel like about a million times ever since I was young," O'Bryant said. "When it happens, I just want to live in the moment, be happy and enjoy it. And then get back to work."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  16m
"Analytics help him. But he's all over the board, from 20-45." -@franfraschilla on Jarnell Stokes

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  15m
"Jordan McRae, there is a lot to like about him. But he will have to improve his outside shooting." - @franfraschilla on Jordan McRae (a senior)

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  3h

Patric Young said that based on feedback he's received from other NBA GMs, being a four-year player has only helped him.

jbcarol

NBA TV @NBATV  ·  5h

.@J30_RANDLE's #NBADraft portrait. For info on his game, check out: http://on.nba.com/1mpQOku 

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  3h

NFL TE if NBA doesnt work RT @KyleTucker_CJ Caught up w Julius Randle's mentor. Said not only did 6-9, 250 Randle jump 38 in' but ran 4.5 40

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  2h

James Young was in a minor car accident that caused him to miss his last 5 workouts according to @chadfordinsider

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Walker @kingsky23  ·  1h

Would had been a special day for me if I would had put my name in this years draft , but Goodluck to my old teamates n my peers #draftday

Coming back to work on spelling, grammar, post moves...

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  3h

Former Gators hopeful of NBA future in deep draft: Patric Young, Scottie Wilbekin and Casey Prather await poss... http://bit.ly/1lgyHIO

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  22h
James Young here in NYC for the NBA draft. Says he thinks he's sleeper of this draft, will make teams that pass pay.

Had experience with a team that did not pass in '13-14.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

State transfer Rodney Hood was #23 to the Jazz.

No other SEC player, especially those who left early, will be selected in the all-important first round.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  5h

Sixers Acquire Draft Rights To Jordan McRae From San Antonio Spurs http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/140626-mcrae-trade ...

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  6h

Jarnell Stokes on Memphis: "Although I slipped outside of the first round, there is no other team I would rather play for."

Utah traded Stokes to Memphis for a 2016 second-round pick

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  7h
Jordan Clarkson will be traded to Lakers for cash.

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  7h
Jabari Brown goes undrafted after forgoing his final season of eligiblity. Will hope to have the success Phil Pressey did latching on as FA

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  7h
Former #Mizzou guad Clarkson joining Lakers as a second-round pick; Brown goes undrafted - Columbia Daily Tribune http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/clarkson-joining-lakers-as-a-second-round-pick/article_adfc0eda-fdb1-11e3-b65c-0017a43b2370.html ...

jbcarol

John Clay @johnclayiv  ·  16m

Mitch Kupchak on Julius Randle. Brad Stevens on James Young. More UK basketball links. http://johnclay.bloginky.com/uk-basketball/latest-uk-basketball-links/ ...

John Clay @johnclayiv  ·  11h
Kupchak said Lakers looked into Randle's foot injury but didn't think it was a problem

Kupchak says Lakers had Randle "much better than seventh selection" and "we didn't think he'd be there"

Boston Celtics @celtics  ·  11h
Stevens on Smart, Young: "We think they are ready. We think they fit well, and they're guys that we want to have around for a long time."

jbcarol

Mike Alzamora WJTV @WJTV_MikeA  ·  9h

Johnny @OBryant_The3rd following an emotional embrace w/ mom after being drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks w/ 36th pick.

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·  17h
Six SEC players were selected in the 2014 NBA Draft. Complete information: http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/251527/sec-in-the-2014-nba-draft.aspx ...

Five or more SEC players selected in NBA Draft for five consecutive years.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  19h
Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace raved a/b Jarnell Stokes last night. Said team contemplated taking him at 22 then chased him the rest of draft.

Wallace said Grizz "lost games to guys like that (Stokes)" in the past. Said Stokes is an impact rebounder now, with upside offensively.

More Wallace on Stokes:  "He was a big winner and he helped change Tennessee's fortune in the brief time he was in Knoxville."

Wallace:  "Over the years I've found that players that rebound up a storm in college and are physically strong, they rebound in the NBA."

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  12h
So to review #Gator summer invites -- Young, Pelicans; Prather, Hawks; Wilbekin, Grizzlies-76ers.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  20h
SEC's six NBA draft picks fourth most by conference behind Pac 12 (9), ACC (8) and Big Ten (7).

jbcarol

Bill Plaschke ["Round the Horn"]: Randle falling into Lakers' laps was good news indeed

QuoteLOS ANGELES — When the last college basketball season began, he was predicted by many to be the top pick in the upcoming NBA draft, and he played like it, amassing more double-doubles than all but one other freshman in NCAA Division I history...

He was bypassed by two players who couldn't get their teams out of the first weekend of the tournament. He was bypassed by a chronically injured center who might not play for six months. He was bypassed by a kid guard from Australia who never played collegiately, an Oklahoma State guard who can't shoot, and an Arizona athlete who doesn't have a position.

Then, finally, he walked into the surprise embrace of the Lakers, their arms wide, their eyes big, their voices hoarse from cheering, the forgotten guy hugged tightly by the forlorn team.

Good news, Lakers fans. At long last, some very good news.

"The bottom line is, he plays and competes at a very, very high level," General Manager Mitch Kupchak said of 6-foot-9, 234-pound Randle during a post-pick news conference. "He loves contact, and, although I don't expect Kobe to talk to him until January, I think he'll like him."

Oh, yeah. Kobe. If the Lakers wanted to smooth Bryant's last laps while creating the foundation for a future without him, they couldn't have done better with the seventh overall pick. Randle is the sort of bruiser and bodyguard that Bryant hasn't had since Karl Malone. On a team that has been recently stocked with flashy jabs, he is a consistent counterpuncher. He's no Shaquille O'Neal, but he'll rumble and tumble like one...

jbcarol

Mike Dunleavy @MikeDunleavySr  ·  22h
Who wears it better Wiggins or my 83 year old mom ?

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond @GabeDeArmond  ·  Jun 27
Per @Jonathan_Feigen Jabari Brown will play on the Houston Rockets summer team in Orlando #Mizzou

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  48m

Former Alabama star Trevor Releford joins Atlanta Hawks' summer league team http://ow.ly/yBnHW

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·

RT @UKDeWaynePeevy: @SEC Interesting that every pick in the league had a first name that started with a 'J'

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams  ·  Jun 27
Former Vol @JordyMac52 McRae said he knows fans in Philly can be rough but he said UT fans could be rough too...

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  2h
ESPN discussing possible Lakers lineup that includes Kobe, Carmelo, Gasol and Julius Randle. And you thought Randle was happy on draft day.

jbcarol

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg  ·  41m
Danny Ainge says James Young will sit out all of summer league. Says he's still feeling effects of car accident; team playing it safe.

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  8h
Scottie Wilbekin w/5 assists in summer league debut w/Memphis Grizzlies, averaging 1.0 ppg, 3.5 apg in two summer league games.

jbcarol

Tom Satkowiak @TomSatkowiak  ·  1h
With 9.7 rebounds per game, former @Vol_Hoops star @JarnellStokes leads the entire Orlando @NBASummerLeague in rebounding.