Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football's Most Valuable Programs

Started by dwcherr, March 18, 2014, 07:55:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorhog2006q

Two completely different rankings and rating systems, one from Forbes and the other from the Wall Street Journal. Not comparable at all.

It is impressive that we are above several prestigious programs in the Wall Street Journal though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on March 18, 2014, 08:11:56 am
Two completely different rankings and rating systems, one from Forbes and the other from the Wall Street Journal. Not comparable at all.

It is impressive that we are above several prestigious programs in the Wall Street Journal though.

Which programs below us are more prestigious in your view?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

The Forbes one was from 2011. It might be different today.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 18, 2014, 08:29:06 am
Which programs below us are more prestigious in your view?

Florida State and Miami. Although Miami has certainly fallen as of late, they still have had much more football success than us.

superior_wang

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on March 18, 2014, 09:21:56 am
Florida State and Miami. Although Miami has certainly fallen as of late, they still have had much more football success than us.

prestige?

aside from those two...

um Oregon, by a billion percent.... stanford , okie state , clemson

superior_wang

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 18, 2014, 08:32:10 am
The Forbes one was from 2011. It might be different today.

yeah that was back when we were winning games.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on March 18, 2014, 08:11:56 am

The Forbes rankings were from 12/22/2011, right before the Cotton Bowl, and Petrino was still our coach, when we were at our peak at eighth in value, and fourth in the SEC.

The WSJ rankings were 1/5/2014 after the JLS and CBB debacles and we dropped ten spots and are now ranked eighteenth, the eighth most valuable in the SEC. Hopefully this will change when CBB starts winning again.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorhog2006q on March 18, 2014, 09:21:56 am

True however playing field success doesn't mean program value in and of itself.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 18, 2014, 10:08:44 am
The Forbes rankings were from 12/22/2011, right before the Cotton Bowl, and Petrino was still our coach, when we were at our peak at eighth in value, and fourth in the SEC.

The WSJ rankings were 1/5/2014 after the JLS and CBB debacles and we dropped ten spots and are now ranked eighteenth, the eighth most valuable in the SEC. Hopefully this will change when CBB starts winning again.

What was our WSJ ranking on 12/22/2011?

Flying Razorback

A lot of it has to do, I don't know if you'll actually believe Razorback fans would do this or not, but some fans have said they refuse to buy tickets or re-up their season tickets because of our coaching staff.

It's strange and possibly all hyperbole, but I have read that very stuff here on Hogville.  That people are pulling back money because they don't like the coaches.  So that might be part of it.  And combined with generally poorer on field performance which leads to fewer ticket sales and TV spots.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

ricepig

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 18, 2014, 11:39:35 am
A lot of it has to do, I don't know if you'll actually believe Razorback fans would do this or not, but some fans have said they refuse to buy tickets or re-up their season tickets because of our coaching staff.

It's strange and possibly all hyperbole, but I have read that very stuff here on Hogville.  That people are pulling back money because they don't like the coaches.  So that might be part of it.  And combined with generally poorer on field performance which leads to fewer ticket sales and TV spots.

Did these fans like Nutt, Petrino, or even Ford? I don't but much faith in these type of "reports".

Razorhog2006q

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 18, 2014, 10:08:44 am

Did you read either of the articles? Both used different criteria to rank value of teams. The 2011 Forbes article ranks us #8 with our value at $89 Million, while the 2014 article ranks us #18 with a value of $315.1 Million. Clearly, very different criteria.