Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - National Media Won't Be Only Group Piling on Bielema if He Doesn't Win Soon

Started by Robert Shields, March 17, 2014, 10:28:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

National Media Won't Be Only Group Piling on Bielema if He Doesn't Win Soon

Robert Shields

Jeff Long of the University of Arkansas is the only athletic director in the SEC not to have either a football program make a bowl or basketball program make the NCAA tournament. But he did turn a $17-million profit in UA athletics, the second-highest profit margin in the SEC, has the school ranked No. 10 in the country in football revenue, and raised $20 million out of you through the Razorback Foundation for the second year in a row.

But this column is about Bret Bielema, who was paid $3 million from all that money Long is amazingly bringing into the program without any postseason play from the two major revenue producers. With that kind of magic, no wonder Long is athletic director of the year.

Last week, your man Clay Travis of OutKicktheCoverage.com delivered a hit piece on Bielema and named him the new Lane Kiffin, the one-time coach from Tennessee who is so hated and despised that he had a sewage plant named after him. One of the main knocks on Kiffin was that he did not fit in the SEC, and Clay Travis is laying the same label on Bielema.

Travis drew many comparisons between the two coaches and hurled the added insult that at least Kiffin did win some at Tennessee. Travis failed to mention that Bielema won three Big 10 titles and trips to the Rose Bowl when at Wisconsin, a level of success Kiffin had never reached at a previous stop.

In response to Travis, many Razorback fans pointed out that when Bielema was hired, Travis wrote that Bielema had the best resume of all the new hires in the SEC, which is in direct contradiction to what he was writing in his hit piece.

When Bielema left Wisconsin, it is well-documented that he engaged in a war of words with Wisconsin and its fans. It seemed to end on his side, when his wife tweeted #Karma. The Hogs have not won since, as pointed out by the Travis column.

If anyone is paying attention, picking the fight with Wisconsin fans came with a price. In the end, Bielema has lost it. It's a fight with another fan base you cannot win here or anywhere. It can only look petty. As much was said at that time in this space and by others.

The truth is that the rest of the county sees Bielema as an easy target to lash out at for basically anything. Bielema was taken to task recently for his slow play argument and using a football player who died to support his argument when the student really didn't.

So to summarize, in the last couple of weeks Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and now Clay Travis has pointed out how Bielema is just a loose cannon. Many from outside the state are seeing something much different going on in Arkansas than through the rose-colored glasses many Razorback fans are looking through.

The Razorback Athletic Program is in shambles as the basketball team crashed in the last week missing a golden opportunity to make the NCAA tournament that used to be a birthright for Hog fans. The baseball team is still trying to find itself this season, and of course the Razorback Football team is still in the midst of its longest losing streak in its history.

The Travis piece is definitely kicking Arkansas and Bielema while they are down. But it's easy to do right now. Travis has been no friend to Arkansas in the past, and he must see Arkansas as an easy target to drive traffic to his website. Last year, he did a ranking of the worst fans. Coming in at No. 4 was Arkansas.

Yet after removing all the Travis bias you may see, the column still begs the question, does Bielema fit at Arkansas and in the SEC?

There is really only one way for Bielema to fit now and that is by winning. When he arrived in Fayetteville, Nolan Richardson did not fit in the eyes of some. But he was a fit, at least for a while, after winning and bringing home a national title to Arkansas. He was finally fired when he had his first losing season since 1986.

Bielema's honeymoon season was burned by John L. Smith. The fans have had to endure two of their roughest seasons in history. They probably will not stomach a third one. Bielema has to win and get the football team back to a bowl game or not only will the national media be piling on him, but even more of his own fan base.

Send your thoughts on Bielema to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Nipsey Mussle

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2014, 10:34:36 am
You could've just sent a link to the Clay Travis article.
Exactly and BTW Robert it'd sure be nice for you to actually write about something that isn't at all obvious even to a blind man. Thinking the "seat will get a little hot" if the Hogs don't start improving noticeably over the next couple of seasons is absolutely nothing at all of a "scoop". Now about that wind that was going to blow the Hog's BB team into the NCAA tournament.........oh yeah, it was actually the NIT. Kinda swung and (partially) missed on that particular gem.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2014, 10:42:49 am
Is that suppose to be an endorsement?
Actually it's about the best that anyone can come up with. I suppose he should be grateful for any (very) small bit of "praise".

Hogfaniam

Why?

At this point, what possible good does this post do?

Robert, your Delta Tau Chi name is Henny Penny.  Why?  Why not.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 17, 2014, 11:05:03 am
Why?

At this point, what possible good does this post do?

Robert, your Delta Tau Chi name is Henny Penny.  Why?  Why not.
The REAL questions should be "What possible good does ANY of his posts do"? Now THAT is the real puzzler!!

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

jkstock04

It is beyond me why people take this Clay Travis so seriously. That is one guys opinion and Hogville latches on to this guy like his word is God.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RebelliousHog

What is the negative hard-on that Shields has on CBB? 

CBB was given a big salary to right a ship that was floundering at best and sinking at worst.
Now if that is BPs fault for not recruiting, ADs fault for firing BP for not keeping is weenie covered, ADS fault for hiring smiley, is all irrelevant. CBBs job is to right the ship. He needs the time to do so.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

bigbadhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2014, 11:09:54 am
It is beyond me why people take this Clay Travis so seriously. That is one guys opinion and Hogville latches on to this guy like his word is God.

It is an opinion that many share about BB - except those with the "special glasses".  LK & BB certainly share some challenges in acting mature, knowing when to keep their mouths shut and backing it up their non-sense...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2014, 11:09:54 am
Well I sure the heck don't; however, if you're going to more or less discuss the "hot seat" BB's might soon be on you might as well "throw in the kitchen sink" like ole CT recently did. Heck, after perusing his latest trash can lining piece you'd think his comparison to Lane Kiffin didn't go far enough-should have been more along the lines of Herr Hitler.

hogcard1964

It's almost unprecedented that the Hogs have three losing seasons in a row.  I believe we'd have to go back to over sixty years.  We'll win this year.  The bar has been set for Beilema.  8 wins this year.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HenduHog on March 17, 2014, 11:11:15 am
What is the negative hard-on that Shields has on CBB? 

CBB was given a big salary to right a ship that was floundering at best and sinking at worst.
Now if that is BPs fault for not recruiting, ADs fault for firing BP for not keeping is weenie covered, ADS fault for hiring smiley, is all irrelevant. CBBs job is to right the ship. He needs the time to do so.
Uhh........in case you haven't noticed ole Bobby Shields' "hard-on" as you call it isn't just confined to BB. Heck, over the past several years he's had it in for Pepsi vs. Coke being served at DWRSS, various building/upgrade projects being done on campus, cheerleading issues, etc. etc. You know: all the HARD HITTING journalistic subject matter that makes the world go 'round.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Shields is the John Madden of message board posting: "Here's a coach that when he doesn't win, his job is in jeopardy."

Derp.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

jkstock04

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 17, 2014, 11:13:29 am
It is an opinion that many share about BB - except those with the "special glasses".  LK & BB certainly share some challenges in acting mature, knowing when to keep their mouths shut and backing it up their non-sense...
It's not just the lane kiffin reference. It's everything this guy says. The whole 4th dumbest fanbase thing is baseless but many on here take it as factual info.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2014, 11:25:24 am
It's not just the lane kiffin reference. It's everything this guy says. The whole 4th dumbest fanbase thing is baseless but many on here take it as factual info.
While I too fume at some of the crap this idiot writes the "4th dumbest fan base" comment does at least give me pause. Primarily 'cause I read much of what some folks post. If that doesn't make you at least wonder then I really don't know what.

bigbadhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2014, 11:25:24 am

Agreed

#1Fan

Quote from: Robert Shields on March 17, 2014, 10:28:14 am
So to summarize, in the last couple of weeks Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and now Clay Travis has pointed out how Bielema is just a loose cannon.

And now Tim Letcher from RantSports, whatever that is.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2014/03/15/arkansas-razorbacks-bret-bielema-already-wearing-on-hogs-fans/

DOGALUM

Who the hell is Robert Shields?

Such garbage from such an obvious non fan. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: #1Fan on March 17, 2014, 11:30:32 am

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2014/03/15/arkansas-razorbacks-bret-bielema-already-wearing-on-hogs-fans/
Yeah, as we know the press is always looking for the latest "kill" to attack like a pack of wild hyenas. Jump on the perceived "most vulnerable" to go ahead and bring down once and for all. At that point we'll pick over the carcass before moving on to the next weakest in the sports world.

hogcard1964

Quote from: #1Fan on March 17, 2014, 11:30:32 am

He's correct.  His job is to win.  Do that, and these feelings subside.  I don't believe there will be as much of this after 2014.

smb

Quote from: Robert Shields on March 17, 2014, 10:28:14 am
National Media Won't Be Only Group Piling on Bielema if He Doesn't Win Soon

Robert Shields

Jeff Long of the University of Arkansas is the only athletic director in the SEC not to have either a football program make a bowl or basketball program make the NCAA tournament. But he did turn a $17-million profit in UA athletics, the second-highest profit margin in the SEC, has the school ranked No. 10 in the country in football revenue, and raised $20 million out of you through the Razorback Foundation for the second year in a row.

But this column is about Bret Bielema, who was paid $3 million from all that money Long is amazingly bringing into the program without any postseason play from the two major revenue producers. With that kind of magic, no wonder Long is athletic director of the year.

Last week, your man Clay Travis of OutKicktheCoverage.com delivered a hit piece on Bielema and named him the new Lane Kiffin, the one-time coach from Tennessee who is so hated and despised that he had a sewage plant named after him. One of the main knocks on Kiffin was that he did not fit in the SEC, and Clay Travis is laying the same label on Bielema.

Travis drew many comparisons between the two coaches and hurled the added insult that at least Kiffin did win some at Tennessee. Travis failed to mention that Bielema won three Big 10 titles and trips to the Rose Bowl when at Wisconsin, a level of success Kiffin had never reached at a previous stop.

In response to Travis, many Razorback fans pointed out that when Bielema was hired, Travis wrote that Bielema had the best resume of all the new hires in the SEC, which is in direct contradiction to what he was writing in his hit piece.

When Bielema left Wisconsin, it is well-documented that he engaged in a war of words with Wisconsin and its fans. It seemed to end on his side, when his wife tweeted #Karma. The Hogs have not won since, as pointed out by the Travis column.

If anyone is paying attention, picking the fight with Wisconsin fans came with a price. In the end, Bielema has lost it. It's a fight with another fan base you cannot win here or anywhere. It can only look petty. As much was said at that time in this space and by others.

The truth is that the rest of the county sees Bielema as an easy target to lash out at for basically anything. Bielema was taken to task recently for his slow play argument and using a football player who died to support his argument when the student really didn't.

So to summarize, in the last couple of weeks Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and now Clay Travis has pointed out how Bielema is just a loose cannon. Many from outside the state are seeing something much different going on in Arkansas than through the rose-colored glasses many Razorback fans are looking through.

The Razorback Athletic Program is in shambles as the basketball team crashed in the last week missing a golden opportunity to make the NCAA tournament that used to be a birthright for Hog fans. The baseball team is still trying to find itself this season, and of course the Razorback Football team is still in the midst of its longest losing streak in its history.

The Travis piece is definitely kicking Arkansas and Bielema while they are down. But it's easy to do right now. Travis has been no friend to Arkansas in the past, and he must see Arkansas as an easy target to drive traffic to his website. Last year, he did a ranking of the worst fans. Coming in at No. 4 was Arkansas.

Yet after removing all the Travis bias you may see, the column still begs the question, does Bielema fit at Arkansas and in the SEC?

There is really only one way for Bielema to fit now and that is by winning. When he arrived in Fayetteville, Nolan Richardson did not fit in the eyes of some. But he was a fit, at least for a while, after winning and bringing home a national title to Arkansas. He was finally fired when he had his first losing season since 1986.

Bielema's honeymoon season was burned by John L. Smith. The fans have had to endure two of their roughest seasons in history. They probably will not stomach a third one. Bielema has to win and get the football team back to a bowl game or not only will the national media be piling on him, but even more of his own fan base.

Send your thoughts on Bielema to fromthebench@yahoo.com.
And yet another VENT N RUMOR post!
GeorgiaHOG

Hawgon

Well, we've gotten nothing but negative publicity for a long time now.  It is beginning to wear.

grim_sleeper

Good lord,  just shut up Robert.  It's getting really old.   I can't wait until Bielema starts winning so your mouth will finally be shut -  or will it?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: grim_sleeper on March 17, 2014, 11:41:46 am
Good lord,  just shut up Robert.  It's getting really old.   I can't wait until Bielema starts winning so your mouth will finally be shut -  or will it?
Isn't ever going to shut up. After all all that hot air has to escape somewhere.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2014, 10:34:36 am
You could've just sent a link to the Clay Travis article.

Exactly! I normally don't read this drivel but today I'm stuck inside nursing a sore back, so I thought "what the heck."  As I read it I was thinking, "I've just read a write-up about someone's write-up that I've already read!"  SMH.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on March 17, 2014, 11:44:45 am
Exactly! I normally don't read this drivel but today I'm stuck inside nursing a sore back, so I thought "what the heck."  As I read it I was thinking, "I've just read a write-up about someone's write-up that I've already read!"  SMH.
How true, how true. BTW perhaps the tagline of "This Space For Rent" should become a part of the thread occupied weekly by one Robert Shields. Would most certainly dramatically upgrade the intelligence level of HV.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 17, 2014, 11:49:37 am
How true, how true. BTW perhaps the tagline of "This Space For Rent" should become a part of the thread occupied weekly by one Robert Shields. Would most certainly dramatically upgrade the intelligence level of HV.

Why so hostile just because someone has a differing opinion on something???

smb

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on March 17, 2014, 11:44:45 am
Yea its called "PLAGIARISM"
GeorgiaHOG

OTTER

You have a nobody "Robert Shields" giving a nobody "Clay Travis" credibility?  And Someone actuay cares?  BS!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jkstock04

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 17, 2014, 11:29:28 am
While I too fume at some of the crap this idiot writes the "4th dumbest fan base" comment does at least give me pause. Primarily 'cause I read much of what some folks post. If that doesn't make you at least wonder then I really don't know what.
Cause you read what some folks post? So if you disagree with someone's opinion that makes them dumb?  Not saying that's you, but that's how a lot of people are....& that's where a lot of this and Clay Travis' "analysis" comes from. I wouldn't give it a second thought except I see it referenced so much on here.

It is dumb...there is no numerical data to support his claim but people still take it as fact.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgon

The same people who throw around the "fourth dumbest fan base" mantra like it is gospel, are the ones who most object to this current article of Travis.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Hawgon on March 17, 2014, 12:19:18 pm
The same people who throw around the "fourth dumbest fan base" mantra like it is gospel, are the ones who most object to this current article of Travis.

Funny how that happens :)

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 17, 2014, 11:53:47 am
Why so hostile just because someone has a differing opinion on something???

Because that is their m.o. hostile and if you respond a bit hostile? Well, then they report you to the moderator....a joke

PRJ

PygmalionEffect

In the fall, all these sportswriters write articles about football.

In the off season they have nothing to write about....

so that's what they write about.

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 17, 2014, 12:14:29 pm
Cause you read what some folks post? So if you disagree with someone's opinion that makes them dumb?  Not saying that's you, but that's how a lot of people are....& that's where a lot of this and Clay Travis' "analysis" comes from. I wouldn't give it a second thought except I see it referenced so much on here.

It is dumb...there is no numerical data to support his claim but people still take it as fact.
I've said before that I have no problem having folks who don't necessarily agree with my viewpoints. After all as we know that's one of the main purposes of a discussion board. No, what I'm referring to are some of the wild and outrageous claims/comments some make that give me pause as to the intelligence level of those particular individuals.

bigbadhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 17, 2014, 12:26:33 pm
Because that is their m.o. hostile and if you respond a bit hostile? Well, then they report you to the moderator....a joke

PRJ

Okay PRJ, I understand.  I will continue to state my objective/rational opinion about BB without name-calling and let them do the opposite.  It does make one side seam kind of irrational :)

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: grim_sleeper on March 17, 2014, 11:41:46 am
[/
Arent you the youngster who starts posts saying we have the greatest staff ever assembled in campus right now today? The youngun who pens open love letters to Bielema twice a day? That is what is becoming old. Bielema and his mouth and lack of coaching so far in his tenure is already old and you sheeple who rush to defend his every step no matter wherer he steps is old and it is embarrassing. So you just stop.

PRJ

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 17, 2014, 12:32:38 pm
Okay PRJ, I understand.  I will continue to state my objective/rational opinion about BB without name-calling and let them do the opposite.  It does make one side seam kind of irrational :)

Indeed it does but you will never get them to do the same. Deep down they know their ship is listing in the water

PRJ

bigbadhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 17, 2014, 12:32:17 pm
I've said before that I have no problem having folks who don't necessarily agree with my viewpoints. After all as we know that's one of the main purposes of a discussion board. No, what I'm referring to are some of the wild and outrageous claims/comments some make that give me pause as to the intelligence level of those particular individuals.

"Wild and outrageous claims" is somewhat subjective don't you think?  Why not respect everyone's opinion?  How do you decide?  I am confident some people think that about your posts...  Sorry, I am very frustrated about being called names for having an objective opinion which is what HV is for.  Anyone who doesn't watch thru the rose-colored lenses is part of the "dumb fanbase" and "Not very knowledgeable about football...  BBH

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003