Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Cantrell is a HOG

Started by HogWildBison2011, March 16, 2014, 07:18:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 20, 2014, 07:49:18 pm
Scout lists him as a DE commit.

But that's still going to mean no Gragg to some.

tophawg19

this is another of those Tight Ends fast enough to stretch the field , yet big enough to go over the middle and play the seams in zone .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PygmalionEffect

This guy doesn't just tackle, he punishes people.

You don't accept "Plan B" commitments in March, they think this guy is the real deal and obviously the potential to continue to grow and get stronger.

You think Saban sits back and holds scholarships for signing day because he has a blue chip player that lives in Alabama that he's wishing on his lucky star he's going to get?  heck no.  He goes after the best he can get as soon as he can get it.

I like it.  Would love to get to the point where we don't have room for the 4 star in-state player that wants to announce in late January or pick hats on signing day.

Signing day will be reserved for flipping some other SEC team's best commitment.

I think Gragg would be a good fit along side Tenpenny on bama's special teams.  They gonna lead the league in lowest kickoff return average.  They gonna be nasty.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

ckhawgu

He's impressive on the D side of the ball from the tape I just watched!!! Sign him as an athlete and let it sort itself out! Welcome to the HOGS -- WPS!!! :razorback:

regi

Kid can play multiple positions, not sure where he will end up. Not sure what the hurry was to get him to commit, other than they really wanted him. Interested to see if he does many camps, and how he will be ranked.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Just my opinion but the guy looks lightning quick from the DE position and simply destroys QBs.  If he really is 6'4", then I'm very impressed with his footwork from the running back position.  He makes people miss and is quick for that size.  He apparently ran a hand timed 4.5 last week on two occasions.  I'll take a 6'4" TE with quick feet who runs a 4.5 any day.
This kid lives close to campus.  The staff liked his film and he must have been impressive in person, so he got an offer.  I think CBB will always recruit the TEposition well while he's here.  Of course this guy is a plan A recruit to us but every staff evaluates differently.  The staff liked him and they offered him early and now we are in the drivers seat with his recruitment.  That was the purpose of the early offer.  If In state schools offer they will have some ground to make up.

bennyl08

That is a plan a kid. Did you see his tape? Explosive, nimble, and can block well. Didn't see him really catch the ball, but his worst case scenario is an ace special teams player. Kids like this help make teams great.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

three hog night

This is going to be a good addition to the class because he has the ability to play a couple of positions.  Unique athleticism.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

RazorBacker215

Also, one reason he only caught 9 passes this past year was because they had to start all over at QB. They graduated a great one the year before who is now playing at Central Oklahoma. They didn't have anyone that could get him the ball so they let him run the ball this past year. His senior year should yield more touches in the passing game as their QB will have more experience.

RazorBacker215

Quote from: fortsmithokie on March 19, 2014, 11:31:07 am
I'm always suspicious of HS 40 times. He's not facing great competition.

Trust me, the kid is fast. I've watched him in person line up on the outside and out run the DBs and catch a 70 yard pass. He is a beast and doesn't really know it yet.

Sumohawg

For those that know the school and team, yes they lost a pretty good QB.  The new QB  has a brother on the team that received more attention, of which left Austin out of the picture.  When he did get the ball, he had the ability to pull away from his defenders and drag a few around.  Comments earlier about the weight room was spot on.  He will put on the weight and strength with the right coach.  You cannot measure his heart...he was a huge OSU fan and stated before that he wanted to go there.  I think the distance played a big part as well as the new staff and what we have to offer to these young men.  Glad he is a Hog!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: fortsmithokie on March 19, 2014, 11:31:07 am
I'm always suspicious of HS 40 times. He's not facing great competition.
Uhh....while HS 40 times may or may not be accurate, the SPEED the kid possesses (or not) has NOTHING at all to do with the level of competition-you either have it or you don't. DONK!!!!

jseinfeld50

March 21, 2014, 12:26:18 pm #62 Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:32:55 am by jseinfeld50

Since we don't any receivers that can catch the ball (except Hatcher), we send our fast TE's (Sprinkle, Cantrell, Henry) as WR's.

fortsmithokie

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 21, 2014, 11:01:44 am
Uhh....while HS 40 times may or may not be accurate, the SPEED the kid possesses (or not) has NOTHING at all to do with the level of competition-you either have it or you don't. DONK!!!!

I was responding to a comment (regarding HS 40 times) and a question (about the level of competition Roland plays) from Hawg_Thaid.

secneahog

Almost 6'4 250..4.5 40...versatile player...

I'll take that every time!   Great pickup.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Pickwick Hog

Just glad to see Tony Soprano's crap was deleted. Read this thread earlier today and got a royal case of the red-ass.

Cantrell will serve the Hogs well and I welcome him.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

HUNGLOWHOG

Roland 1995 Alumni here , Austin's dad was a year older than me he played like a mad man on the field one of those kids who had a beard in 7th grade "man child" kid has good football pedigree , I think he will be a great addition for the hogs. Woo pig SOOIE  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jjdlc

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on March 21, 2014, 09:58:41 pm
Just glad to see Tony Soprano's crap was deleted. Read this thread earlier today and got a royal case of the red-ass.

Cantrell will serve the Hogs well and I welcome him.

Me too, but there was some good info posts deleted too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: fortsmithokie on March 21, 2014, 09:38:37 pm
I was responding to a comment (regarding HS 40 times) and a question (about the level of competition Roland plays) from Hawg_Thaid.

You never know. We have had quite a few kids come from smaller schools that didn't play against stellar competition in high school that ended up being stars for us. One dated example I can think of is Lance Alworth, who came from Brookhaven, MS. Current population-9,861. Just imagine what the population must have been in 1958? He probably didn't play against top level competition in high school either, but I think he turned out to be pretty good.
Go Hogs Go!

SamBuckhart

Welcome Mr Austin Cantrell. Multi Talented for sure. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Horse racer

Welcome to the family young man !

Hogeration

BB has said many times that he goes after a lot of TEs bc they can play multiple positions.  I don't think this will have any effect on Gragg's choice.  Not sure where he is leaning, but I hope his brother has some pull.

Hawg_Thai'd

March 22, 2014, 10:56:33 am #72 Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:45:37 am by Hawg_Thaid
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2014, 07:59:49 am
You never know. We have had quite a few kids come from smaller schools that didn't play against stellar competition in high school that ended up being stars for us. One dated example I can think of is Lance Alworth, who came from Brookhaven, MS. Current population-9,861. Just imagine what the population must have been in 1958? He probably didn't play against top level competition in high school either, but I think he turned out to be pretty good.

I have heard someone mention a kid from Clinton (pop. >3,000) that is supposed to be a pretty good fullback. I say if a kid is good he's good. Now, with the level of competition question. If an athlete is in fact a stud, can it be better sometimes for them to face lesser competition so they don't get their bodies abused so bad? Let's take D. McFadden for example. DMac was a stud. Period. What if he would have played 3A ball in HS and played for a coach in college that did not wear him out so bad. Would he be more healthy in the pros now or would that have hindered his abilities?
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

fortsmithokie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2014, 07:59:49 am

I'm not saying he can't turn out to be stud, regardless of the level of competition he faced in HS, no doubt it happens.

Dark Helmet Hog

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on March 23, 2014, 09:30:37 am
Title is misleading if he hasn't committed......

Read the whole thread, he did commit last Thursday, but don't let a combined thread derail your initiative.

fortsmithokie

Quote from: Hawg_Thaid on March 22, 2014, 10:56:33 am
I have heard someone mention a kid from Clinton (pop. >3,000) that is supposed to be a pretty good fullback. I say if a kid is good he's good. Now, with the level of competition question. If an athlete is in fact a stud, can it be better sometimes for them to face lesser competition so they don't get their bodies abused so bad? Let's take D. McFadden for example. DMac was a stud. Period. What if he would have played 3A ball in HS and played for a coach in college that did not wear him out so bad. Would he be more healthy in the pros now or would that have hindered his abilities?

I wonder if it was RB (not FB) Marquez Simpkins you heard about. He rushed for more than 2,000 and scored 30 TDs as a SOPH, before battling injuries and finishing with about 1,400 yards and 14 TDs on 128 carries as a JR.
I agree a kid can be a stud, even if they're playing lesser competition. I only mentioned the level of competition Roland faces, because you asked.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: fortsmithokie on March 23, 2014, 10:55:01 am
I wonder if it was RB (not FB) Marquez Simpkins you heard about. He rushed for more than 2,000 and scored 30 TDs as a SOPH, before battling injuries and finishing with about 1,400 yards and 14 TDs on 128 carries as a JR.
I agree a kid can be a stud, even if they're playing lesser competition. I only mentioned the level of competition Roland faces, because you asked.

Appreciate the response. I should be in the area this fall after I wrap up this gig. I would like to see him play.

fortsmithokie

Quote from: Hawg_Thaid on March 23, 2014, 11:23:37 am
Appreciate the response. I should be in the area this fall after I wrap up this gig. I would like to see him play.

He's one of those kids who I think his recruitment could blowup his SR if he stays healthy and regains the form he showed his SOPH year.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: fortsmithokie on March 23, 2014, 11:35:57 am
He's one of those kids who I think his recruitment could blowup his SR if he stays healthy and regains the form he showed his SOPH year.
Will he stay solid to us, in your opinion? Are there any schools we should fear?

fortsmithokie

Quote from: Hawg_Thaid on March 23, 2014, 11:41:34 am
Will he stay solid to us, in your opinion? Are there any schools we should fear?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about seeing Simpkins.

With regard to Cantrell, not sure OU is a factor.
They'll probably take 21 or 22 players for 2015, unless they have more attrition after the season than anticipated. I don't think he'll get an offer unless they strike out with other TEs first. They took an H-back type in the 2014 class, and usually don't take an H-back in consecutive classes. Unless something changes, they aren't looking at him as a potential DE.

I've seen some folks on here and other boards say he grew up an OSU fan, but don't know if that's accurate. But again, not sure OSU offers, unless they're looking at him as a DE. OSU doesn't typically carry more than two or three TEs on the roster and they have a true FR and RSFR on the 2014 roster -- and as far as I know they haven't offered a TE in the 2015 class.

I wouldn't expect a TU offer to have any impact. They have picked up some Tulsa-area kids over the years with bigger offers, but he's not from Tulsa and I'm not aware of him having any family ties to TU.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawg_Thaid on March 23, 2014, 11:41:34 am
Sorry, but I'm not "fear" should ever be in the Hog's vocabulary. "Competitor" might be more appropriate.

Hawg_Thai'd

March 23, 2014, 09:16:11 pm #82 Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:04:07 pm by Hawg_Thaid
Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 23, 2014, 03:05:19 pm
Sorry, but I'm not "fear" should ever be in the Hog's vocabulary. "Competitor" might be more appropriate.

Yeah, you're right. Poor choice of words.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 24, 2014, 05:26:07 am
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/commitments/2015/arkansas-74
Muskogee after the posts were combined he was confused. The top post stated he was offered, not that he committed. I changed it accordingly.

The real Hogules

Getting him to commit early is nice, but keeping him until next February is going to be a chore, as other quality offers are sure to come as his Sr. season plays out.

I really like this kid, he has great measurables and  I just hope that he's solidly committed to the Hogs!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

KevinOMReb

Don't undersell OM on their chances to get Gragg.  He just took a midweek visit and here is the free link
http://mississippi.scout.com/2/1387729.html 

He's been to Oxford now three times and will take an OV in October.  He is watching the Arkansas season closely and their usage of their TE's.  And don't count out UT either. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

Razorhawg09

Quote from: KevinOMReb on March 26, 2014, 11:15:55 am
Don't undersell OM on their chances to get Gragg.  He just took a midweek visit and here is the free link

He's been to Oxford now three times and will take an OV in October.  He is watching the Arkansas season closely and their usage of their TE's.  And don't count out UT either.
Not a flame but he will not go to Ole Miss. Bama is the only competition.

imtad16

If your Tight End or a Running Back numbers clearly show Arkansas is one of the best programs for you. No need to watch how Arkansas uses the TE this season because there is no doubt it will play a prominent role. So there won't be an issue there.

Razorhawg09

Gragg is a terrible fit for the Ole Miss offense. He's not a flex/finesse TE. He's perfect for our system.

HOGINTENNESSEE

How many catches did ole piss TE 'a have last year?

Vantage 8 dude

Nice post, OM tool.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 26, 2014, 02:30:15 pm

How many catches did ole piss TE 'a have last year?
Ole Miss TEs had a total of 2 catches for 11 yards and one touch down all made by Nicholas Parker. They have 9 other TE's on roster excluding Parker.
Stats from ESPN

imtad16

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on March 26, 2014, 02:52:29 pm
Ole Miss TEs had a total of 2 catches for 11 yards and one touch down all made by Nicholas Parker. They have 9 other TE's on roster excluding Parker.
Stats from ESPN

Oh wow. Haha maybe You should tweet that at Will Gragg.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Stats from ESPN

Vantage 8 dude

Stats from ESPN
That'll definitely get him excited. WOW, DOUBLE the amount and you have a whopping 4 for the year!! Let's see: Henry had that many by half time in several games. Gee.....wonder who really uses their TE as a receiver and who for whatever else?

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 26, 2014, 04:18:43 pm
That'll definitely get him excited. WOW, DOUBLE the amount and you have a whopping 4 for the year!! Let's see: Henry had that many by half time in several games. Gee.....wonder who really uses their TE as a receiver and who for whatever else?
We had a total of 35 catches for 513 yards and 5 touchdowns. Hunter Henry leading the pack with 28 receptions, 409 yards, and 4 tds. Stats from ESPN again.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: imtad16 on March 26, 2014, 03:12:13 pm
Oh wow. Haha maybe You should tweet that at Will Gragg.

This should be done.

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."