Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone think B. Allen doesn't start?

Started by Prestworthy, March 16, 2014, 12:34:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 09:40:52 am
I like what Clint Stoerner has been saying. He said he didn't rehab his shoulder separation properly and it took two years to get his strength back. He said they do a much better job of that these days. Those who have seen Brandon Allen throwing say he is fully recovered thanks to the job Ben Herbert has done with him in the weight room.

Stoerner also said he doesn't see Rafe Peavey making an impact this season. He said when he played as a true freshman he didn't know what the hell was going on. You are processing too much information and find yourself overwhelmed in games compared to a year or two later when you have more knowledge of the offense and have adjusted to the speed of the game.

That's good news about BA.  CBB says he's gotten stronger all over which was a must as well. 

Only thing no one questioned about this so far is that I'm pretty sure Stoerner didn't come in early and play Spring ball before his freshman season.  If that is the case, then comparing Rafe's situation to his as a freshman is apples and oranges.

I still don't think an 18 year old can be physically and mentally mature enough to play SEC QB, I think the odds are a lot greater that you risk bringing them in too early and actually hurting their career.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Iwastherein1969

March 16, 2014, 12:41:46 pm #51 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:53:56 pm by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: chitwnhog on March 16, 2014, 12:40:03 am
Game 1? Yes. Things will change by Game 3 if BA hasn't improved from last year.
if he hasn't improved from last year it will show up in Fall Camp...based on that, Brandon Allen should never start another game for the Hogs....he's either a clip-board holder or a transfer candidate....Brandon Allen does nothing really well and has no one big weapon, like a big arm or quick feet which he can use to beat the defense....in other words, he needs to hit the bricks (once again, this based on play from last season without substantial improvement in Fall camp)....the starter, IMHO, should be Damon Mitchell or Rafe Peavey...the Allen brothers are carbon copies of mediocrity...sorry if that hurts feelings, but Arkansas, it's fans and our tradition deserve better
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 12:41:46 pm
if he hasn't improved from last year it will show up in Fall Camp...based on that, Brandon Allen should never start another game for the Hogs....he's either a clip-board holder or a transfer candidate....Brandon Allen does nothing really well and has no one big weapon, like a big arm or quick feet which he can use to beat the defense....in other words, he needs to hit the bricks....the starter, IMHO, should be Damon Mitchell or Rafe Peavey...the Allen brothers are carbon copies of mediocrity...sorry if that hurts feelings, but Arkansas, it's fans and our tradition deserve better

IMO we haven't seen enough of a healthy BA(except in practice where he clearly won the job) to make that assessment yet.  I also question some of our overall offensive plan, which I hope leans more toward letting Chaney do his thing this fall.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Notshavin on March 16, 2014, 12:54:40 pm
IMO we haven't seen enough of a healthy BA(except in practice where he clearly won the job) to make that assessment yet.  I also question some of our overall offensive plan, which I hope leans more toward letting Chaney do his thing this fall.
I agree, all I'm basing my opinion (see above) is last year's play...understanding that he was hurt, but then was deemed well by the medical staff to play...the guy has to improve sharply to be a starter for Arkansas.....based on film, Peavey is a much better athlete and has as good, if not better arm, than Allen...and Mitchell, may have an arm that is questionable but he's a good enough athlete to beat the defense with his feet (see Nick Marshall at AU for what type of QB I see Mitchell as being)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 12:59:36 pm
I agree, all I'm basing my opinion (see above) is last year's play...understanding that he was hurt, but then was deemed well by the medical staff to play...the guy has to improve sharply to be a starter for Arkansas.....based on film, Peavey is a much better athlete and has as good, if not better arm, than Allen...and Mitchell, may have an arm that is questionable but he's a good enough athlete to beat the defense with his feet (see Nick Marshall at AU for what type of QB I see Mitchell as being)

I will say you have been singing Duwop's praise since the day he stepped on campus. Unfortunately you really never hear the coaches speak of him much. Several ways that could interpret the silence from the coaches.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 12:59:36 pm

Yeah, injuries are difficult because the staff and docs have to go by(at least to some degree) what BA tells them(what number is your pain, etc.) - and you WANT a kid who will play through some amount of pain - but I think last season may be an example of our QB being in worse shape than advertised.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Pork Twain

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on March 16, 2014, 12:31:13 pm
That's good news about BA.  CBB says he's gotten stronger all over which was a must as well. 

Only thing no one questioned about this so far is that I'm pretty sure Stoerner didn't come in early and play Spring ball before his freshman season.  If that is the case, then comparing Rafe's situation to his as a freshman is apples and oranges.

I still don't think an 18 year old can be physically and mentally mature enough to play SEC QB, I think the odds are a lot greater that you risk bringing them in too early and actually hurting their career.
A freshmen trying to absorb enough of the playbook to be effective is a freshmen trying to absorb enough of the playbook to be effective.  Apples and apples.  That is why that is the norm in college football.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 01:07:48 pm
I will say you have been singing Duwop's praise since the day he stepped on campus. Unfortunately you really never hear the coaches speak of him much. Several ways that could interpret the silence from the coaches.
the same coaches that didn't win an SEC game last year and blew a 17 point lead at Rutgers ?   the same coaches that played 'not to lose' when we had LSU pinned on the 1 foot line with a lead late in the game at Baton Rouge ?  the QB's aren't the only one's who have questions that need to be answered...the only coach on that staff who, IMHO, is on solid ground and is unquestionably top notch is Sam Pittman, the others, well, they come with good reputations, but need to get more done at the UA

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 01:29:26 pm
the same coaches that didn't win an SEC game last year and blew a 17 point lead at Rutgers ?   the same coaches that played 'not to lose' when we had LSU pinned on the 1 foot line with a lead late in the game at Baton Rouge ?  the QB's aren't the only one's who have questions that need to be answered...the only coach on that staff who, IMHO, is on solid ground and is unquestionably top notch is Sam Pittman, the others, well, they come with good reputations, but need to get more done at the UA

Sorry I thought you wanted to talk about Duwop and his capability to be the top QB? I have no desire to moan about last year.

Spring practice is here and time to look toward the upcoming season.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 02:09:20 pm
Sorry I thought you wanted to talk about Duwop and his capability to be the top QB? I have no desire to moan about last year.

Spring practice is here and time to look toward the upcoming season.

Not trying to understand the past season and the massive fail it was would be an even bigger mistake.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 09:40:52 am
I like what Clint Stoerner has been saying. He said he didn't rehab his shoulder separation properly and it took two years to get his strength back. He said they do a much better job of that these days. Those who have seen Brandon Allen throwing say he is fully recovered thanks to the job Ben Herbert has done with him in the weight room.

Stoerner also said he doesn't see Rafe Peavey making an impact this season. He said when he played as a true freshman he didn't know what the hell was going on. You are processing too much information and find yourself overwhelmed in games compared to a year or two later when you have more knowledge of the offense and have adjusted to the speed of the game.

Does arm strength cause bad decision making? A lot of throws and interceptions was a result of not reading the defense and locking down on one receiver. I understand the injury but how does that relate to throwing directly to the Florida  and Mississippi State defense at critical times in the game. There are a lot of apologist for BA play on the field last season. His QB play was the worse I've seen since Zac Clark. I would take Clark over BA if I had to.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on March 16, 2014, 02:12:23 pm
Not trying to understand the past season and the massive fail it was would be an even bigger mistake.

What is there to understand? I watched the Bill Parcell's presser when he was announced as the Cowboys head coach. Someone asked him what he thought of the 5-9 Cowboys. He basically said we are a 5-9 team and will be so until we prove otherwise.

We went 3-9, so we are a 3-9 team until we prove otherwise. What else is their to learn about last year? I want to see what they are going to do this year.

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 03:16:50 pm
What is there to understand? I watched the Bill Parcell's presser when he was announced as the Cowboys head coach. Someone asked him what he thought of the 5-9 Cowboys. He basically said we are a 5-9 team and will be so until we prove otherwise.

We went 3-9, so we are a 3-9 team until we prove otherwise. What else is their to learn about last year? I want to see what they are going to do this year.

This team underachieved.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2014, 03:09:36 pm
Does arm strength cause bad decision making? A lot of throws and interceptions was a result of not reading the defense and locking down on one receiver. I understand the injury but how does that relate to throwing directly to the Florida  and Mississippi State defense at critical times in the game. There are a lot of apologist for BA play on the field last season. His QB play was the worse I've seen since Zac Clark. I would take Clark over BA if I had to.

That sounds like an inexperienced QB. Now does this mean BA can do the same this year? To me no and I don't think CBB would either. At least I hope he won't. BA has something to prove this year and I hope he does.

The only way I want to see BA on the bench is because he showed tremendous improvement, yet it was not enough to beat out ___________ (fill in the blank as you like)

That scenario means the Hogs offense will be doing well. If BA is benched because poor performance then the Hogs may not be doing to well.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on March 16, 2014, 03:19:34 pm
This team underachieved.

Notshavin, I never said they didn't. My point is reliving last year doesn't do any good. It doesn't change the record. We stunk.

It is now Spring ball and we have a chance to change things. Let's see how it unfolds.

bennyl08

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 03:24:22 pm
Notshavin, I never said they didn't. My point is reliving last year doesn't do any good. It doesn't change the record. We stunk.

It is now Spring ball and we have a chance to change things. Let's see how it unfolds.

You have to understand what went wrong last year in order to fix it this spring and next season. Why did we go 3-9? Did we make tactical mistakes, or were we simply outgunned? Did we improve the calibre of our team, and did other teams lose firepower? If we made tactical mistakes, how can we correct them? Are they correctable, or do we just need a new gun?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

texhog22

Quote from: ErieHog on March 16, 2014, 01:25:35 am
Coach B seems very convinced he's the starter at this point, and we don't exactly have any evidence of anything else brewing.
BA might be our best option but if he is.....well , I'm not excited about it. What I am most afraid of is Brandon is one of those QB's that has ALL the talent and looks like an All-American in practice where mentally he knows he is protected from that really BIG hit. But when he is in a game especially big games he (in my opinion) seems to panic! He seems to throw the ball away when he is under no pressure! (way to often) If he can calm down and the game slows for him then he will be the best of the bunch! If the game hasnt slowed down for him,.... then you could see a freshman or even a true freshman starting midway through the season.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 03:22:27 pm
That sounds like an inexperienced QB. Now does this mean BA can do the same this year? To me no and I don't think CBB would either. At least I hope he won't. BA has something to prove this year and I hope he does.

The only way I want to see BA on the bench is because he showed tremendous improvement, yet it was not enough to beat out ___________ (fill in the blank as you like)

That scenario means the Hogs offense will be doing well. If BA is benched because poor performance then the Hogs may not be doing to well.

BA was a redshirt sophomore.i don't buy the inexperienced arguementment! The Mississippi State game was at the end of the year but he continued to make bad throws. He didn't have the confidence to start in the SEC. Clint, Ryan , Matt and Tyler played like they belonged in the SEC. I don't want a unsure QB because if the QB is unsure the offense will be. Give me a arrogant cocky confident hardworking talented kid like J. Manziel and you win ball games. Mallet was not great but you couldn't tell him that.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 16, 2014, 03:31:52 pm
You have to understand what went wrong last year in order to fix it this spring and next season. Why did we go 3-9? Did we make tactical mistakes, or were we simply outgunned? Did we improve the calibre of our team, and did other teams lose firepower? If we made tactical mistakes, how can we correct them? Are they correctable, or do we just need a new gun?

Benny - look around. We are not sitting in the coaches room. They had better of done exactly what you said. We are fans and we have exhaustively discussed the negatives to death. The thought of going over last season for the 11,246th time simply bores me to death.

Spring is time to look to see what is ahead of us.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2014, 03:36:18 pm
BA was a redshirt sophomore.i don't buy the inexperienced arguementment! The Mississippi State game was at the end of the year but he continued to make bad throws. He didn't have the confidence to start in the SEC. Clint, Ryan , Matt and Tyler played like they belonged in the SEC. I don't want a unsure QB because if the QB is unsure the offense will be. Give me a arrogant cocky confident hardworking talented kid like J. Manziel and you win ball games. Mallet was not great but you couldn't tell him that.

How many games did BA play in before last season? He had very little experience. He may never overcome the mistakes, but inexperience could very well be one of the reasons.

GaryHog

I hope he doesn't start most of his poor play was poor decisions having nothing to do with being injured
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 03:39:30 pm
How many games did BA play in before last season? He had very little experience. He may never overcome the mistakes, but inexperience could very well be one of the reasons.

5 games. I hope BA does well but I want be surprised if he doesn't. I've seen him in action and he didn't get it done. If BA improves we have 6-7 wins and a bowl game. If he doesn't I rather see one of the freshman play instead of a redshirt junior.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2014, 03:48:00 pm
5 games. I hope BA does well but I want be surprised if he doesn't. I've seen him in action and he didn't get it done. If BA improves we have 6-7 wins and a bowl game. If he doesn't I rather see one of the freshman play instead of a redshirt junior.

I am with you on this one.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2014, 03:09:36 pm

Jim Chaney repeatedly said that receivers were often not where they were supposed to be when the ball arrived.

Since none of us were in the huddle and did not know the routes involved it is impossible to know whether Allen simply threw the ball at a defender (which you suggest) or threw it where a receiver was supposed to be with the defender arriving there instead.

Most of you never mention the receivers when you criticize Allen. I would submit that Arkansas had the worst receiving corps I've seen in a long, long time. One of the things Stoerner emphasized last week when he spoke about Allen was the effect those receivers had on his play along, of course, with the injury.

Bielema said last week that Allen looks nothing right now like he did last season. I'll take him at his word until I see otherwise later this spring.

weresoclose

We heard that before last season, Mike. 

Now I don't know how the shoulder injury truly effected him, but don't you consider the psychological damage from '12 and then '13 afterwards to have also "injured" him?

Do you project BA as the starter?  SIAP I haven't read all the thread.

Mike Irwin

weresoclose

Didn't we hear about BAs improvement last offseason, or am I blending that with other times I heard that at other points?

What I and many others are curious to know is how steep the competition will be at QB.  Wouldn't we all love the hometown boy to be a star?!? 

I also would like to know if you feel his confidence was damaged, because I am not the only fan who felt he saw that last season and in '12.

Lake City Hog

I will say one thing for certain, even though I'm not a huge BB fan I am sure glad that he is the coach and not some of you guys!

rzrbackramsfan

I think BA starts the season #1 but doesn't finish the season #1. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lchog on March 16, 2014, 04:56:36 pm
I will say one thing for certain, even though I'm not a huge BB fan I am sure glad that he is the coach and not some of you guys!

Come on man you know you want to see me pacing the sidelines. I have the best NCAA 2013 scores to prove I am a winner. And don't even get me started with my Madden skills!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: weresoclose on March 16, 2014, 04:45:02 pm
Didn't we hear about BAs improvement last offseason, or am I blending that with other times I heard that at other points?

What I and many others are curious to know is how steep the competition will be at QB.  Wouldn't we all love the hometown boy to be a star?!? 

I also would like to know if you feel his confidence was damaged, because I am not the only fan who felt he saw that last season and in '12.

I don't know if the competition will be steep. I haven't seen the other two quarterbacks. Practices were closed last year and they both redshirted. 

I don't believe Rafe Peavey will win the job or be a back up this fall.

Yes Allen improved in the '12 offseason but the receiving corps got worse. A lot worse. And of course he suffered a shoulder separation. If there had been better option he would have sat the rest of the season but there wasn't.

This is just opinion but I think the next really good Arkansas QB will be Ty Storey and he won't play as a freshman.

Brandon Allen is serviceable if the offensive line continues to improve and if the receivers get a lot better.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 05:06:12 pm
I don't know if the competition will be steep. I haven't seen the other two quarterbacks. Practices were closed last year and they both redshirted. 

I don't believe Rafe Peavey will win the job or be a back up this fall.

Yes Allen improved in the '12 offseason but the receiving corps got worse. A lot worse. And of course he suffered a shoulder separation. If there had been better option he would have sat the rest of the season but there wasn't.

This is just opinion but I think the next really good Arkansas QB will be Ty Storey and he won't play as a freshman.

Brandon Allen is serviceable if the offensive line continues to improve and if the receivers get a lot better.

Would you have thought Manziel wouldn't win the starting spot just because he was a freshman? 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 16, 2014, 05:09:39 pm
Would you have thought Manziel wouldn't win the starting spot just because he was a freshman?
I don't cover Texas A&M so I can't say what I would have thought about Manziel. However he did not play as a true freshmen and according to what I've heard there was nothing about him his freshmen year that indicated he was going to be a great player.

Even a year in a college system as a red shirt can make a big difference. That's why I think Austin Allen has a better chance of beating out his brother than Rafe Peavey. From what I'm told Damon Mitchell will likely end up in the secondary where they need help badly.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 05:42:02 pm
I don't cover Texas A&M so I can't say what I would have thought about Manziel. However he did not play as a true freshmen and according to what I've heard there was nothing about him his freshmen year that indicated he was going to be a great player.

Even a year in a college system as a red shirt can make a big difference. That's why I think Austin Allen has a better chance of beating out his brother than Rafe Peavey. From what I'm told Damon Mitchell will likely end up in the secondary where they need help badly.
if memory serves UGA made the same mistake by playing Nick Marshall on defense and never really giving him a good look at QB....some kids look great in practice, some kids don't look so great in practice but perform much better in games...what worries me is that Mitchell will never get a fair shot at QB and tell me, what type of QB gives Alabama(always the team to beat in the SEC West) the biggest problems, the Matt Jones, the Johnny Manziel's, the Cam Newtons and the Nick Marshall's or the drop back QB's who rely on progression reads in the passing game ?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 06:06:13 pm
if memory serves UGA made the same mistake by playing Nick Marshall on defense and never really giving him a good look at QB....some kids look great in practice, some kids don't look so great in practice but perform much better in games...what worries me is that Mitchell will never get a fair shot at QB and tell me, what type of QB gives Alabama(always the team to beat in the SEC West) the biggest problems, the Matt Jones, the Johnny Manziel's, the Cam Newtons and the Nick Marshall's or the drop back QB's who rely on progression reads in the passing game ?

Let me try to talk to you again about Duwop. I fully understand your football logic about a mobile QB giving Bama fits, but has Chaney ever run that type of offense? I also wonder how Duwop did running the scout team (I'm assuming he did) when preparing for TAM or Auburn?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 06:17:51 pm
Let me try to talk to you again about Duwop. I fully understand your football logic about a mobile QB giving Bama fits, but has Chaney ever run that type of offense? I also wonder how Duwop did running the scout team (I'm assuming he did) when preparing for TAM or Auburn?
Outside of the coaches and players I don't think anybody has seen a second of Damon Mitchell as a college player. Practices were closed last fall and clearly he did not play in a game.

I'll finally get a chance to take a look at him on Thursday along with Austin Allen.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 06:17:51 pm
are you really trying to blame the scout QB for the ineptness of the back 7 of the 2013 Razorback defense ?   that's as big of a stretch as I've seen on Hogville....look, I'm not a DuWop at QB or nobody kind of guy....but I have seen Brandon Allen who does nothing particularly well or particularly bad, he's just another decent guy...I'm looking for a QB that has a weapon that can hurt the other team....I'd rather have a "one trick pony" who does something exceptionally well than a 'jack of all trades' who does many things average...with today's athletes, average at a lot of things doesn't get the job done...a QB who has a weapon that can hurt the other team is what you must have....look, in the NFL does anyone really believe Russell Wilson or Collin Kaepernick have great arms and can push the ball down the field like Dan Marino or John Elway used to ?  NO, they can't.....but what they can do is pass well enough and use their superior athleticism to beat the defense....in other words, they have a weapon, their legs....we should maybe take a look at that type of QB

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 16, 2014, 06:30:07 pm
are you really trying to blame the scout QB for the ineptness of the back 7 of the 2013 Razorback defense ?   that's as big of a stretch as I've seen on Hogville....look, I'm not a DuWop at QB or nobody kind of guy....but I have seen Brandon Allen who does nothing particularly well or particularly bad, he's just another decent guy...I'm looking for a QB that has a weapon that can hurt the other team....I'd rather have a "one trick pony" who does something exceptionally well than a 'jack of all trades' who does many things average...with today's athletes, average at a lot of things doesn't get the job done...a QB who has a weapon that can hurt the other team is what you must have....look, in the NFL does anyone really believe Russell Wilson or Collin Kaepernick have great arms and can push the ball down the field like Dan Marino or John Elway used to ?  NO, they can't.....but what they can do is pass well enough and use their superior athleticism to beat the defense....in other words, they have a weapon, their legs....we should maybe take a look at that type of QB

Not sure how you jumped to the conclusion about the back 7. I am simply talking to you and asking sincere questions. I understand what that kind of QB can bring to the game, but still have two questions you didn't answer.

1. Has Chaney, our play caller, ever run that type of offense?
2. Is it worth the whole offense changing for this one position? It just seems like a lot of upheaval.

I say upheaval as Duwop is the only QB with his type of running skills as the others are more pro style.

longtimeHogfan

It has to be B Allen's job to lose but it will be an interesting spring .
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

three hog night

BA will be the starter and keep the job all year.  The Oline will be fine, the WR's will be improved and hopefully BA will be healthy.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 03:24:22 pm

I see your point - but I think analyzing last year for entertainment purposes is valid, especially with this new regime.

I can't stress enough how much we were told in the Spring that they would focus on tackling, fundamentals, winning the game in the trenches, proper technique, etc., and yet that did not translate.

Now if I start whining about our former coach no longer being here, THEN put me in time-out and on ignore.

However, I understand the frustration with things that were out of the staff's control and not wanting to re-visit that.  It's a tricky balance.

Quote from: lchog on March 16, 2014, 04:56:36 pm

As a fan, I'm glad for you and I both that I'm not.  When I play football video games I just throw a bomb on every play.

Although that would be interesting to let a fan call the plays for one series against a cupcake.  They could sell tickets for it and all proceeds go to charity.  Great idea..

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 16, 2014, 04:13:39 pm
Jim Chaney repeatedly said that receivers were often not where they were supposed to be when the ball arrived.

Since none of us were in the huddle and did not know the routes involved it is impossible to know whether Allen simply threw the ball at a defender (which you suggest) or threw it where a receiver was supposed to be with the defender arriving there instead.

Most of you never mention the receivers when you criticize Allen. I would submit that Arkansas had the worst receiving corps I've seen in a long, long time. One of the things Stoerner emphasized last week when he spoke about Allen was the effect those receivers had on his play along, of course, with the injury.

Bielema said last week that Allen looks nothing right now like he did last season. I'll take him at his word until I see otherwise later this spring.

They also had the worse QB in the SEC. QB 101 don't throw the ball to the other team. I just haven't seen good QB play from BA. He redshirted and been to every QB camp that money can buy but he still performed poorly. I'm hoping for improvement but I don't expect much.

texas tush hog

Barring another injury Brandon Allen will start 12 games this year and baby brother will back him up. If anybody beats Brandon out it will be Austin but not before a few games.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hogfan14 on March 16, 2014, 01:40:02 am
NC State was 3-9, like us...in the ACC

BM missed almost all season because of injuries.  He played hurt in the few games he did play in with the exception of the first series of the opening game.

Wild Bill Hog

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on March 16, 2014, 06:37:51 am
How the heck can anyone answer this since we have not seen any other QB play with the exception of Derby. Of course you are the guy trying to prove Alex Collins is just am ok back and Korliss is the next coming of Dmac.  ;D
Easy Killer...just a question.

upperdeck_hawg

If BA starts, it's going to be another long season
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Danny J

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 17, 2014, 12:34:29 am
If BA starts, it's going to be another long season
Then prepare for a long season cuz without question no matter what the coach speak is going into summer workouts he will, barring a injury, be the starter at Auburn.

rusvegashog