Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone think B. Allen doesn't start?

Started by Prestworthy, March 16, 2014, 12:34:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2014, 08:09:26 am
Mallett looks so much better with his shoulders lined up.  Was that your point?

You can tell where BA is throwing from that pic?!
And you know they were taken at the same exact time in their motions?
You really should be working for an NFL team if you are not already.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

DeltaBoy

It depends on wither or not Brandon shoulder is fixed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

weresoclose

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 18, 2014, 08:20:19 am
You can tell where BA is throwing from that pic?!
And you know they were taken at the same exact time in their motions?
You really should be working for an NFL team if you are not already.
From the looks of BA's dropped shoulder, well.... ok you're right... I can't tell if his is aiming for the 5th or 15th row out of bounds.  Hard to say from that angle.

jabohog

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 16, 2014, 12:34:43 am
?

Who is #1?
I think he starts, the real question is does he finish the season. I feel like Bielema is hard headed about some things and the QB seems to be one of them.

sportster365

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 17, 2014, 11:27:25 pm
Yeah, okay I give up. Allen sucks. LSU wasn't playing worth a crap and that's the only reason why he was 19 of 29 against them for 178 yards and two TDs.

Hell anybody could have done that. Rafe Peavy could have ridden a bicycle in from his high school game Friday night and beaten those guys when his eyes shut.

If Allen starts Arkansas won't win a game next year.

Mike I do believe your my favorite Arkansas sports media guy...radio, television and social media you're a real fan favorite honestly speaking.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2014, 08:36:44 am
From the looks of BA's dropped shoulder, well.... ok you're right... I can't tell if his is aiming for the 5th or 15th row out of bounds.  Hard to say from that angle.
I googled images of several quarterbacks including Peyton & Eli Manning along with Johnny Manziel. I even looked up some of the old school guys like Roger Staubach.
With each up them you can find almost an identical match to what you see in the Brandon Allen photo. The problem I had was they were all jpeg's which would not upload.

The Mallet photo was the only non jpeg I could find and it's a little misleading because he's farther into his motion than Allen.

Allen's shoulder would come up as he continued to bring the ball up. Also the photographer's angle to Allen is not parallel so it makes it look like his shoulders are not square when they actually are in relation to his target.

There is nothing wrong with his throwing motion. It is virtually identical to the motions of all the QB's I looked up.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sportster365 on March 18, 2014, 03:34:49 pm

In that game it looked like BA was releasing the ball a lot off his back foot and short-arming the ball (not following through) quite a lot. Not all of the time, but a lot. Now I don't care what a guy looks like throwing the ball as long as he completes passes and doesn't force the ball (where he throws an INT) into tight situations and has some touch on the ball, but BA looked like he was using all his strength to throw the ball as hard as he could rather than having a more relaxed throwing motion.

I find that a little concerning and I hope that over the off season he has healed and grown stronger so that he doesn't have to feel like he has to throw it as hard as possible every time he sets up.
Go Hogs Go!

Ramtough

BA needs to get better at throwing his receivers open or throwing the ball as they come out of their break. He tends to hold on to the ball to long but I think thats a confidence issue. You have to be able to protect your QB as well and mix up the play calls so you throw some on 1st downs as well. Being to conservative makes you predictable and makes it easier to pressure the QB.

sportster365

QB protection wasn't a problem. Our O-Line only gave up 8 sacks all year. Arguably one of the best O-Lines in the country.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sportster365 on March 18, 2014, 04:25:03 pm
QB protection wasn't a problem. Our O-Line only gave up 8 sacks all year. Arguably one of the best O-Lines in the country.

One of the best 2 years in a row.
Go Hogs Go!

sportster365

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2014, 04:26:23 pm
One of the best 2 years in a row.

I wouldn't say 2 years in a row. That 2012 line sent TW and BA through the ringer

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sportster365 on March 18, 2014, 04:28:07 pm
I wouldn't say 2 years in a row. That 2012 line sent TW and BA through the ringer

I would, check the facts. TW held the ball longer than he should have and that is what put him in a position to take hits right after releasing the ball. You can't ask an O-Line to hold everyone out for longer than three seconds. If you are a QB trying to hold the ball until the last possible second, you are taking your life into your own hands, not to the fault of the OL. Our blind side OT the last two years, David Hurd, gave up one or two sacks in those two years combined and that included not giving up a single sack to Clowney, everyones First Round NFL draft choice.
Go Hogs Go!

DoctorSusscrofa

All we really need is for BA and the receivers to improve by 15% or more, and the defense to improve by a like percentage.  We do that and we will win 5 or more games next year.  We had three games last year we would have won if we could have extended our drives on offense and properly defended an additional pass or two on defense.  You knock down a couple of passes you missed, and you complete 3 additional passes per game and you win 6 instead of 3.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

three hog night

Quote from: Ramtough on March 18, 2014, 04:19:55 pm
BA needs to get better at throwing his receivers open or throwing the ball as they come out of their break. He tends to hold on to the ball to long but I think thats a confidence issue. You have to be able to protect your QB as well and mix up the play calls so you throw some on 1st downs as well. Being to conservative makes you predictable and makes it easier to pressure the QB.

A large influence upon this is WR's that cant get off the line against press coverage, because it will throw off timing.   That is why Childs and Hamilton were soo good- they were big and physical enough to push through the press coverage and were consistently on time in their routes.  We had NOTHING like them last year and that is why Hunter Henry got so many passes at TE.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

ULL
Arkansas   C/ATT   YDS   AVG   TD   INT
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Allen            9/17   125   7.4     2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

ldfergu

Brandon Allen has to learn to trust his O-Line and go through the right progression.  The criticism of him locking on to one receiver is fairly accurate but I imagine he's worked his tail off to improve.  The hours of film study BA claims he's done should help this area

three hog night

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on March 19, 2014, 02:33:20 pm
Brandon Allen has to learn to trust his O-Line and go through the right progression.  The criticism of him locking on to one receiver is fairly accurate but I imagine he's worked his tail off to improve.  The hours of film study BA claims he's done should help this area

We need him to make that improvement to match the Oline and WRs.  I think he will be better this year, because of his own improvement/health, supposed improvement of WR's, Improvement in the Oline, Chaney has more control, and this is the STAFF's 2nd year.

three hog night

SWarkansasman

If Allen is the best we have a QB, then we are in for another long season.  He looks great in practice , but unfortunately practice mean nothing. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I think BA will show that he is an SEC caliber QB if JC is allowed to run his offense with an emphasis on passing.

Also, someone needs to step up at WR and I think that guy is actually a TE - Hunter Henry.  He's shown he has that "X" factor.  If he can make some big plays, it will just open it up more for the other WRs.

Everything we are hearing is that BA is healthy, so it's time for him to step up.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SWarkansasman on March 20, 2014, 05:56:41 pm
If Allen is the best we have a QB, then we are in for another long season.  He looks great in practice , but unfortunately practice mean nothing. 

Truth is, none of us know what the truth is, with a healed BA with another year of experience and growth under his belt.

I can understand everyone not jumping on board based on what we have seen in the past, but in 2012 we saw an unprepared BA thrown into action and in 2013 we saw an injured Brandon Allen.

Time will be the only thing that tells whether he is the QB that we need, or don't need.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2014, 06:01:51 pm
Truth is, none of us know what the truth is, with a healed BA with another year of experience and growth under his belt.

I can understand everyone not jumping on board based on what we have seen in the past, but in 2012 we saw an unprepared BA thrown into action and in 2013 we saw an injured Brandon Allen.

Time will be the only thing that tells whether he is the QB that we need, or don't need.

Kind of reminds me of when Mallet was leaving, and there was so much concern about Tyler Wilson.  We learned that we hadn't really seen what coaches saw on paper translate to the field.

A healthy BA and JC and the offense having a year under their belt here could potentially be night and day from last season.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Notshavin on March 20, 2014, 06:12:28 pm
Kind of reminds me of when Mallet was leaving, and there was so much concern about Tyler Wilson.  We learned that we hadn't really seen what coaches saw on paper translate to the field.

A healthy BA and JC and the offense having a year under their belt here could potentially be night and day from last season.

Exactly, but this is yet to be seen. Time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2014, 06:48:55 pm
Exactly, but this is yet to be seen. Time will tell.

Right.  And I liked what UU reported Austin said, regarding fighting for the same job with your brother:  Nothing new, been doing it all of my life.  If he is better, then that's a good problem to have.

Mike_e

Quote from: SWarkansasman on March 20, 2014, 05:56:41 pm

DId you really type that?

Really?

I'll give you that on field performance is the goal but how else could a coach have any idea whether or not the player has any chance at performing on the field?

How else could a coach tell if the player has even a fundamental idea of what his responsibilities are?

Are you really good at X-Box?
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

sportster365

I wish Bielema would take a page from the old ball coach's playbook. Steve never hesitates to pull a QB out if he's struggling.

Take Stephen Garcia and Conner Shaw for example. Conner played in 9 games as a true freshman in the SEC. Coming in for the Junior Garcia. He completed 69.7 percent of his passes (23-of-33) for 223 yards... was the team's fourth-leading rusher, gaining 165 yards on 32 carries...

He didn't get a ton of minutes over Garcia his freshman year, but Spurrier still threw him in the mix. If not but to keep a little fire under Garcia to play well, Spurrier also got some quality minutes for his young QB... building his confidence.

PonderinHog

Quote from: sportster365 on March 21, 2014, 03:47:50 pm
I wish Bielema would take a page from the old ball coach's playbook. Steve never hesitates to pull a QB out if he's struggling.

Take Stephen Garcia and Conner Shaw for example. Conner played in 9 games as a true freshman in the SEC. Coming in for the Junior Garcia. He completed 69.7 percent of his passes (23-of-33) for 223 yards... was the team's fourth-leading rusher, gaining 165 yards on 32 carries...

He didn't get a ton of minutes over Garcia his freshman year, but Spurrier still threw him in the mix. If not but to keep a little fire under Garcia to play well, Spurrier also got some quality minutes for his young QB... building his confidence.
Yeah, and we liked to have took his head clean off, IIRC.   :razorback:

Lake City Hog

Some of you guys just cannot get past everything being on the players! Our receivers struggled getting open because we ran the most vanilla pass routes in college football.
How many times did we use a formation that put our best receiver in the slot in order to get a mismatch?  How many pick routes do we run?

If we have any chance of improving our passing game it must start with better routes and different formations. It also must have ample practice time dedicated to the passing game. If we focus 80% of practice on running plays the passing game will suffer.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sportster365 on March 21, 2014, 03:47:50 pm

It wasn't just performance issues on the part of Garcia that found Shaw replacing him. It was also a matter of Garcia's lack of leadership and demonstrated character issues. But I too, am an advocate of pulling a guy if he isn't producing. Problem for us last year was, there wasn't anyone else there to step up to carry the team and be efficient at that position when BA went down. Different deal with Spurrier and S. Carolina.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 22, 2014, 10:14:34 am
It wasn't just performance issues on the part of Garcia that found Shaw replacing him. It was also a matter of Garcia's lack of leadership and demonstrated character issues. But I too, am an advocate of pulling a guy if he isn't producing. Problem for us last year was, there wasn't anyone else there to step up to carry the team and be efficient at that position when BA went down. Different deal with Spurrier and S. Carolina.

Yep, you are talking about a coach who had been there a few years and had his players on the sidelines versus a coach who was primarily using another coach's players. Much different situation.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Athog

three hog night

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2014, 06:01:51 pm

BA stats from last year that show how the injury and healing impacted him.   I think we are going to see an improved BA.  Will it correspond to him being confident and going through his progressions? 

ULL
Allen           15/22   230   10.5   3   0

Samford  (We ran for 333 yards)
Allen            9/17   125   7.4     2   0

So Miss
Injured in first quarter

Did he play bad against ULL and Samford?  The stats don't say so.

Did he improve over the season?  Yes and it paralleled the healing of his shoulder.

After he returned from a game off against Rutgers, he had the following completion percentages:
47%
41%
33%
28%
45%

Then he started getting better after the open dates to finish with the following completion percentages:
Ole Miss   56%
Misstake   59%
LSU          65%

Do you see a trend here?