Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Cheyne passed away this morning

Started by Tejano Jawg, March 15, 2014, 07:02:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Just heard it from a Bentonville facebook friend.

Here's a bio, for those people under 40. Big supporter of the Razorbacks.
http://variety1065.com/bob.asp
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

grayhawg

Sorry to hear that, great radio play by play man for the Razorbacks. RIP

Boarcephus

March 15, 2014, 07:08:58 pm #2 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:26:56 pm by Boarcephus
I saw him when he came in the hospital a couple weeks ago and it was really sad.  One of the classiest individuals (and families) I've known.  He was Tommy Cheyne's uncle. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Tejano Jawg

Don't know how long he lived in Bentonville...as long as I can remember. Went to our church, lived just a few blocks from us.

He often spoke at our FCA Chapter when I was in high school. I think he even did our Tiger football games for awhile. Just a major player in the community.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Theolesnort

He was the voice of the Razorbacks to me growing up. George Walker added the color. Those were good times. He was mellow and smooth in his delivery.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

3dawghawg

I remember listening to him. He was good at his job.

Inhogswetrust

Very sad. Sympathies go out to his family.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Shoat61

RIP Mr. Cheyne!  Those were the best of times!

Jimmy

For those of us old enough to remember him on the radio, Bob was particularly memorable because there were so few games aired on TV in those days.   Bob's voice and Arkansas football were one and the same.  He was our Saturday link to the Hogs.

Mike Irwin

He was also the school's sports information director during the time that Frank's program really took off. Like Paul Eells, Bob Cheyne was a class individual in every way.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Jimmy on March 16, 2014, 01:42:11 pm
For those of us old enough to remember him on the radio, Bob was particularly memorable because there were so few games aired on TV in those days.   Bob's voice and Arkansas football were one and the same.  He was our Saturday link to the Hogs.

Great post! This is something we take for granted nowadays. If you want to, you can see every Hog football game on TV, even the the warm-up games. Which means you're hearing network announcers, not your home crew. It's not the same.

I don't want to say that "RADIO" is a dying art, but it certainly doesn't have the familiarity it used to. I remember many a Saturday afternoon Hog radio broadcast when I was a kid. Same for the old (Sutton's Triplets) basketball games in the evenings. Because radio guys had to work harder, I think there's always been a bigger connection between radio voices and their audience. Those who remember Cheyne as the 'Voice of the Razorbacks" are the people I started this thread for.

I was too young to know Bob in his Hog broadcast days. To me, he (and his wife Jenny, who died a few years ago) was just my neighbor. Later on, I learned to appreciated what he did for the Razorbacks.

oldhawgs

yraciv

So for those of us younger Hog fans... How long was he the voice of the Hogs?  Did he just call quits one day and who did we replace him with?

Theolesnort

About 21 years and as far as I am concerned Bob needs to be in the Hall of Fame.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

DeltaBoy

March 16, 2014, 04:39:07 pm #14 Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:13:11 am by DeltaBoy
Damn another man from my childhood is gone. Bob,Paul and Bud ought to be having a grand time in Heaven.

My Grandfather had taped games Bob Called and one I believe is the Powder River Play game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: yraciv on March 16, 2014, 04:24:32 pm
So for those of us younger Hog fans... How long was he the voice of the Hogs?  Did he just call quits one day and who did we replace him with?
He left Arkansas to work at Cooper Community Properties (The Bella Vista project). He was being paid virtually nothing at Arkansas. There was no booming NWA economy in those days. The athletic department had limited funds for non coaching positions.

Bob did very well in his new job but his heart was always with the Razorbacks.

It was before my time but I'm pretty sure Bud Campbell replaced him as the Hogs PBP man. Not sure who was SID back then.

Tyro3

I am  an old guy, knew Bob back in the day, RIP.

Shoat61

I think Bob Cheyne, who was SID,  replaced Wally Ingalls in the early '60's as PBP.  He was then replaced as SID in the late '60's by Jim Bell from Fort Smith and as PBP by Bud Campbell from Little Rock. 

Theolesnort

Nope Bob was play by play man in the 50's not Ingalls. I spent many a year listening to him though I can't vouch for the 40's because I was so young I didn't know what football was.

Shoat61

I recall listening to Wally in the 50's and I wasn't in Arkansas in the 40's.  As Wally always signed off, "Win, lose or draw, let's be sports about it."  Maybe someone can recall the exact year the change was made.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 15, 2014, 07:02:31 pm
Just heard it from a Bentonville facebook friend.

Here's a bio, for those people under 40. Big supporter of the Razorbacks.
http://variety1065.com/bob.asp
Sad to read his obit this morning. Only met him once which just so happened to be the Friday before we last played Texass. I brought up the fact that as a kid I well remember listening to him call the upset down in Austin back in '64. From the brief encounter I came away with the impression he truly was both a nice guy and gentleman. R.I.P. Mr. Cheyne.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 16, 2014, 02:19:22 pm
Great post! This is something we take for granted nowadays. If you want to, you can see every Hog football game on TV, even the the warm-up games. Which means you're hearing network announcers, not your home crew. It's not the same.

I don't want to say that "RADIO" is a dying art, but it certainly doesn't have the familiarity it used to. I remember many a Saturday afternoon Hog radio broadcast when I was a kid. Same for the old (Sutton's Triplets) basketball games in the evenings. Because radio guys had to work harder, I think there's always been a bigger connection between radio voices and their audience. Those who remember Cheyne as the 'Voice of the Razorbacks" are the people I started this thread for.

I was too young to know Bob in his Hog broadcast days. To me, he (and his wife Jenny, who died a few years ago) was just my neighbor. Later on, I learned to appreciated what he did for the Razorbacks.

Radio is being squeezed out by ESPN3 and Gameplan.  I spent hours in the 1970's listening to Hogs on Radio since they were only on TV for the Texas game most seasons.  I wish I still had those ARSN posters they used to give out with Schedule and the Ark Stations broadcasting the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

grayhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 17, 2014, 11:30:29 am
Radio is being squeezed out by ESPN3 and Gameplan.  I spent hours in the 1970's listening to Hogs on Radio since they were only on TV for the Texas game most seasons.  I wish I still had those ARSN posters they used to give out with Schedule and the Ark Stations broadcasting the game.
If my provider does not decide to carry the SEC network, I will probably be listening to Chuck Barrett more.

jfred59

There is a great book called Voices of the Razorbacks...Great read on Bob in it

DeltaBoy

I will have to find that one.  Thanks He was great according to Grandpaw.