Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The better RB: AC or KM

Started by Prestworthy, March 15, 2014, 10:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: plumbhog on March 22, 2014, 05:36:15 pm
Come on man read before you post! When did I say KM was better?

Were you or were you not using the Thurman vs Sanders to prove a point? So in this example you gave which one is Thurman and which one is Sanders?

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

plumbhog

Quote from: locusbug on March 22, 2014, 05:44:13 pm
Were you or were you not using the Thurman vs Sanders to prove a point? So in this example you gave which one is Thurman and which one is Sanders?

The point being just because one freshman got more carries than the other doesnt mean he is better. As far as AC vs. KM we have no way of knowing who is better just yet. Time will tell. I like all three, each has his on style and all are very good. At this point I dont really feel like it matters much who is in the game on any play.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on March 22, 2014, 05:41:39 pm
Sure man, whatever you say.  ;D
He's giving stats.  What's the problem?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 22, 2014, 06:35:04 pm
He's giving stats.  What's the problem?

You carry the ball 20 times for 100 yards what is your average? I carry the ball 2 times for 20 yards what is my average?

See the point?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on March 22, 2014, 04:38:26 pm
So you give a detailed explanation as to why you felt the need to talk down to a fellow poster and completely dismiss his thread as laughable as to who might be the more productive RB this year, Collins or Marshall, as if it's not even worthy of discussion on a message board,....

then you add fuel to the fire by going into this theory that something could be wrong with Alex Collins that might jeopardize his chances of having a successful career here, leading to our inability to recruit top south florida talent in the future.....

man......  that's funny

Mike, you got no cred to ever talk down to a poster on here
First of all whether or not Collins has an issue right now has nothing to do with last season. If I gave that impression I did not intend to do so. The simple fact is, based on what he did last season there is virtually nothing to indicate that Marshall is a better back than Collins. Marshall did a great job of doing what he was asked to do but unless you believe that numbers lie and Arkansas coaches were clueless in not giving him more reps then the answer to which was better is obvious.

Am I saying that the situation can't change? Of course not. Some players get better (usually based on work ethic) and some go backwards because of a variety of reasons (girlfriends, family problems, injuries, poor work habits).

The whole issue of Collins needing to succeed at Arkansas is also a separate issue but I put it out there because it's important for the reason I stated.

I don't think Arkansas has any hope of winning the SEC in football until its coaches demonstrate an ability recruit out of state skill position players away from schools like Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M, Georgia etc.

I like the fact that Bielema and his staff are trying to do that and are having some  success so far even if it is limited at this point.

HawgFan70

Impossible to compare the 2 at this time. AC looks to be a good prospect who can carry the ball a high number of times and grind it for some good yards. He doesn't appear to have the speed to be a home run hitter. KM came into games on fresh legs and looked but we have no idea if he can he a high carries every down back.
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

Pork Twain

Quote from: plumbhog on March 22, 2014, 04:14:04 am
And Barry Sanders rode the bench till Thurman Thomas turned pro. Who was the best of them two?
Wow...  Korliss needs to actually do SOMETHING before he is compared to even the most average of SEC backs, because as of right now, he has done nothing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogFanatic

I think ideally, yes, Arkansas should steal skill players from the Alabama's of College Football, and to some degree it is beginning to happen, but Arkansas has had some really good teams that utilized several in state skill players.

I certainly don't think a kid should be overlooked because he is from rural Arkansas.
15.8 yards per touch is pretty hard to argue with. I think Marshall has made his OWN argument for more carries this year and people here are getting a little bent out of shape over a moot point.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Legball13 on March 22, 2014, 05:40:25 pm

And if u want to know KM average every time he touches the ball  its 15.8 yards per touch! 
Wow...  Keon Hatcher averaged 12.7 yards a carry.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 22, 2014, 07:43:28 pm
I think ideally, yes, Arkansas should steal skill players from the Alabama's of College Football, and to some degree it is beginning to happen, but Arkansas has had some really good teams that utilized several in state skill players.

I certainly don't think a kid should be overlooked because he is from rural Arkansas.
15.8 yards per touch is pretty hard to argue with. I think Marshall has made his OWN argument for more carries this year and people here are getting a little bent out of shape over a moot point.
15.8 yards is not accurate, 8.6 is the number.  You guys are making him out to be the best back to ever suit up.

HogFanatic

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 22, 2014, 07:47:17 pm
15.8 yards is not accurate, 8.6 is the number.  You guys are making him out to be the best back to ever suit up.

That includes his touches on special teams I'm pretty sure.
Anyways, as I said in my initial post, they are all three excellent backs. I trust Bielema to play the guy that gives us the best chance of winning.

That said, look for Marshall's work load to increase this year. I think its obvious we are gonna see more of him.

Best back to ever suit up? Haha
I certainly wouldn't say that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 22, 2014, 07:53:17 pm
That includes his touches on special teams I'm pretty sure.
Anyways, as I said in my initial post, they are all three excellent backs. I trust Bielema to play the guy that gives us the best chance of winning.

That said, look for Marshall's work load to increase this year. I think its obvious we are gonna see more of him.

Best back to ever suit up? Haha
I certainly wouldn't say that.

Some would, and in this thread.  Shady to use his return yards when comparing him to guys that just run the ball.  Some would say that is obvious data manipulation.

Sproles is great in the role he has but he could never be an every down back.  Maybe KM could but as I said, he has it to do.

HogFanatic

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 22, 2014, 07:54:51 pm
Some would, and in this thread.

Really? I must have missed that.

I did see someone making the point that it isn't unheard of for a truly great back to sit the bench behind another good back, as in the Barry Sanders case.
But I don't recall anyone calling Marshall the second coming of Barry Sanders or Darren McFadden.
Again, I think people are getting a bit bent out of shape over a bunch of nothing.

Pork Twain

March 22, 2014, 08:04:41 pm #163 Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:54:36 pm by BeoPig™
This thread is almost as logical as one would have been asking if Smith should be taking carries from DMAC, Felix and Peyton.  Korliss has barely carried the ball, and it is a little early to call him an SEC caliber back.  He might prove it to be so, but he has it to do.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 22, 2014, 07:59:34 pm

I did see someone making the point that it isn't unheard of for a truly great back to sit the bench behind another good back, as in the Barry Sanders case.
But I don't recall anyone calling Marshall the second coming of Barry Sanders or Darren McFadden.
Again, I think people are getting a bit bent out of shape over a bunch of nothing.

Whatever dude.

Prestworthy

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 22, 2014, 08:04:41 pm
This thread is almost as logical as one would have been asking if Smith should be taking carries from DMAC, Felix and Peyton.  Korliss has barely carried the ball, and it is a little early to call him an SEC caliber back.  He might prove it to be so, but he has it to do.
I don't even think Smith (as a scat back) has the speed KM does.  KM made a much bigger splash than Smith did as well. 

And in that scenario, you'd be comparing JW to one of the best SEC backs in his generation.  Not close.

downsouthhawg72

See the hole, hit the hole. AC got it & KM don't. AC had it as a freshman & KM didn't. AC had it the very 1st game, by the time we got to the MSU game late in the season after KM had practice & played at RB it showed he still didn't have it. I'll take see the hole & hit the hole every day of the week because their are defensive players just as fast as KM in the SEC so just having speed is not going to cut it. So I'll take AC all day. Besides, I rather have JoJo as the kick returner anyway. JoJo is a shifty type of runner & KM is straight forward returner, if the hole is not there he can't be be like Joe Adams & shift on a dime to make something out of nothing like JoJo will be able to.
DownSouthHawg

Prestworthy

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on March 22, 2014, 09:21:23 pm
See the hole, hit the hole. AC got it & KM don't. AC had it as a freshman & KM didn't. AC had it the very 1st game, by the time we got to the MSU game late in the season after KM had practice & played at RB it showed he still didn't have it. I'll take see the hole & hit the hole every day of the week because their are defensive players just as fast as KM in the SEC so just having speed is not going to cut it. So I'll take AC all day. Besides, I rather have JoJo as the kick returner anyway. JoJo is a shifty type of runner & KM is straight forward returner, if the hole is not there he can't be be like Joe Adams & shift on a dime to make something out of nothing like JoJo will be able to.
We must have been watching different games

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 22, 2014, 09:19:28 pm
I don't even think Smith (as a scat back) has the speed KM does.  KM made a much bigger splash than Smith did as well. 

And in that scenario, you'd be comparing JW to one of the best SEC backs in his generation.  Not close.

Actually Alex and Korliss run a 4.4 40

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on March 22, 2014, 09:36:46 pm
Actually Alex and Korliss run a 4.4 40
Every running back runs a "4.4" in the SEC....

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 22, 2014, 09:40:33 pm
Every running back runs a "4.4" in the SEC....

Well then I guess Korliss is not faster then any other back in the SEC. Whatever.

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on March 22, 2014, 09:42:27 pm
Well then I guess Korliss is not faster then any other back in the SEC. Whatever.
Nice.

Prestworthy

I could be wrong, but wasn't KM running scout team before getting reps midway through the season? Easy to get overshadowed by a an experienced JWill and the prized high school rb recruit.  I'm not taking anything away from those two.  They are great backs and have played very well.  KM needs about double the reps this season, though.

plumbhog

Quote from: HogFanatic on March 22, 2014, 07:59:34 pm

I still dont think they get it. Lol
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Carl Lazlo

Korliss "faster than a speeding bullet" Marshall will get touches early in the '14 season. It'll be beneficial for the team. There's no way around it. He's already proven to be highly competitive and fairly productive against elite sec defenses as a true freshman.  Prestworthy don't worry about korliss. Dude is too good to keep sidelined in any game. 

PonderinHog

Honestly, I wish we had more problems like this.  At QB, WR, LB and DB to name a few.
Actually, that may be all of them.

Carl Lazlo

Lineman pondering hog. 6'5" 325 DTs and OTs

PonderinHog

Quote from: footballmaniac on March 23, 2014, 12:06:24 am
Lineman pondering hog. 6'5" 325 DTs and OTs
I think we've got those two positions covered.  It's everywhere else that concerns me.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 22, 2014, 07:42:30 pm
Wow...  Korliss needs to actually do SOMETHING before he is compared to even the most average of SEC backs, because as of right now, he has done nothing.

Beo, I am glad you came to the same conclusion. He accused me of not reading his comments properly. Now more things fly over my head than airplanes landing at O'Hare! So I assumed it was me, but now that you interpreted it the same.  ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 22, 2014, 11:42:20 pm
Honestly, I wish we had more problems like this.  At QB, WR, LB and DB to name a few.
Actually, that may be all of them.

It is a nice problem to have. I think QB and WR may be solving themselves. For LB and DB it is hard to tell with the new coaching staff this year.

urkillnmesmalls

If there is one thing that will remain constant on Hogville, it is that the guy on the bench is always better than whoever is on the field.  It's always as obvious as water being wet to the casual fan, and the coaches are completely oblivious to it. 

As we saw in the MSU game last season, we have some backups who can perform ably when called upon to do so.  The fans' inability to recognize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with our current situation doesn't surprise me at all.  Having a guy with some of the best vision I can recall from a RB in Collins, someone durable and able to get the tough straight ahead yards in JWill, and a GAME CHANGING 3rd back who can come in fresh and threaten to take it to the house on sweeps and plays in space like KM....is a GREAT luxury to have.
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.