Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My grade for Coach Anderson this season

Started by bigredone, March 15, 2014, 09:29:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bigredone on March 15, 2014, 06:32:49 pm
The last thread turned into an emotional argument. Emotions get in the way of facts. This thread was an attempt to take emotion out of it and have a discussion in a logical manner. I also mentioned that grades can only be awarded at the end of the season. We should be able to disagree about the grade without emotion getting in the way. For the most part this one has stayed calm, cool, and collected.

C-

farmhawg

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on March 15, 2014, 10:56:19 am
This thread is disrespectful.  IMO.

It would be more interesting to rate each poster....by their intelligence. 
+1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ishankem

a bit fat    D

3 years and no ncaa, that is unacceptable. If no ncaa next year, Long needs to start making his list of coaching candidates!

hogcard1964

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 15, 2014, 01:45:45 pm
C- because of the meltdown

The meltdown killed his resume' here but anything less than a NCAA tournament invite, is failure.  I guess my expectations are too high?

I still can't believe we lost to Bama and SC.

bigredone

[/quote]

Obviously you would not do well on the reading portions of an IQ test but maybe the math portions could boost your score out of the low 80s.

See, that was disrespectful, not the thread. Sorry for making my point with that example but it was the simplest way I could see. You might be the brightest person on the board and I have no way of knowing. It was just an example and in no way am I saying you are really that low IQ.

code red

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 17, 2014, 11:01:29 am
The meltdown killed his resume' here but anything less than a NCAA tournament invite, is failure.  I guess my expectations are too high?

I still can't believe we lost to Bama and SC.
I don't think we would have beaten Bama even if we played well.  They were just lights out that night.  But, SC...yeah...that was bad.  We never controlled any aspect of that game.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

GuvHog

Now that the season has ended, here are my grades for Mike:

The Hogs lived up to my expectations so for that, I give Mike a C+

The fact that they swept Kentucky was unexpected plus so that raises his grade to a B-.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Now that everything is final and things have settled, my grade for Anderson is a B-. I mean, the lowest possible B there is. 80 on a 100 point scale. Overall, he and the team met my expectations for the season. Would like to see more consistency, though. Maybe next year. Can't have everything all at once.

alohawg

We had b+ potential but finished 22-12 winning just 65% and for that he gets a C.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

root_hawg

c=NCAA invitiation
B=Sweet Sixteen
A=Final Four

NIT=D
NIT +1 win = D+

fsrider

Quote from: root_hawg on March 25, 2014, 02:33:36 pm
c=NCAA invitiation
B=Sweet Sixteen
A=Final Four

NIT=D
NIT +1 win = D+
/\  /\  /\  /\    this

donbro

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on March 15, 2014, 10:56:19 am
This thread is disrespectful.  IMO.

That would be 10 pages with a grade of F

hogfan10

Quote from: songofthesword on March 15, 2014, 10:56:50 am
B

we have NO point guard on the roster.  whatsoever. and our 2 post players are true freshman.  and we're leeps and bounds better htan we were a year ago.

if he contintues this upward path no doubt in mind we're back next year

Improvement yes, but leaps and bounds better?

mhuff

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 15, 2014, 09:56:23 am
C . he couldn't get the team to play at the end of the season . We lost to two poor teams . A win over either gets you into the NCAA . especially as poorly as all the bubble teams have played . That bama loss was an embarrassment . His inability to get the team to play on the road gets him a lower grade . Keep in mind we are in a weak conference . 3 out of 14 will likely be in the NCAA'S . 4 tops

Pretty much sums it up.

tomw

id rate it a d-...lack of adjustments to different teams and situations..poor rotation of players...not having team ready to play numerous times...poor recruiting...inconsistent, missing ncaa by a long way..list goes on and on..personally I don't see much difference for next year

bigredone

With everything said and done I give the season a B-. They were in the talk for NCAA, beat KY twice, and won a game in the NIT.

Strictly average teams did not make the NIT. Remember there are 350+ teams vying for a total of 100 post season slots (NCAA & NIT). Average teams do not get invited to either. I tried to grade them on that basis. Otherwise it would have been an F based on the fact that I wanted them undefeated and winning the NC as I do every year. Sometimes what we want is not remotely possible.

pfrg999

C+ or B- .... 78%-81% ... Coaching needs to be better (Fundamentals were slack, defensive position and shot selection were AWOL at times)
The reason for Grade - Pros
- We won on the road (That must continue)
- 10-8 in the SEC
- won 20+ games
- Bringing in a Solid recruiting Class
- Made Post season (NIT)
- Sometimes GREAT Defensive Pressure
- Glimpses of HawgBall

CONS
- Lost Key games to Key opponents
- Team Didn't show up at games
- Fundamental breakdowns
- Shot Selection
- lost most road game
- Close Great recruiting Class
- Didn't make NCAAT
- SECT Performance
- lost 12 games
- No Bench Fire
- Only Glimpses of Hawgball
- Inconsistent Play

I am sure there are more of each... Just a few I could think of to justify my grade.
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

jkstock04

Don't see how he can get higher than a C. Overall, looking at the whole picture this team was average. It sounds dumb and Houston Nuttish but we were very close...still yet close ain't gonna cut it.

To me he gets a C....hopefully we will continue to see improvement.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rowdy1

Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~

bigredone

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on March 28, 2014, 04:59:53 pm
seeing as how Stan Heath was fired after back to back NCAA tournaments appearances, i'd say ol' Mike gets an F.

Stan wasn't fired for his record he was fired for failing APR and no one showing up to watch his style of basketball.

If fans don't show up for Mike's teams the next two years his record wouldn't matter either, he would be gone. Coaches have to put butts in the seats. So all the posters that can't stand Coach Anderson just need to avoid the games for the next couple of years to see how much influence they have.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on March 25, 2014, 02:11:38 pm
Now that the season has ended, here are my grades for Mike:

The Hogs lived up to my expectations so for that, I give Mike a C+

The fact that they swept Kentucky was unexpected plus so that raises his grade to a B-.

You sure about that, Clark?

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on October 18, 2013, 11:59:30 am
1. SIU-Edwardsville - WIN

2. LOUISIANA - WIN

3. SMU - WIN

4. CALIFORNIA - LOSS

5. MINNESOTA – WIN.

5*. SYRACUSE – LOSS

6. 3RD MAUI INV. GAME...OPPONENT TBD - WIN

7. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA - WIN

8. CLEMSON – WIN

9. SAVANNAH STATE – WIN

10. TENNESSEE MARTIN - WIN

11. SOUTH ALABAMA – WIN

12.  HIGH POINT - WIN

13. UTSA – WIN

14.  @ TEXAS A&M – WIN

15.  FLORIDA – WIN

16. KENTUCKY – LOSS

17. @ GEORGIA – WIN

18. @ TENNESSEE – LOSS

19.  AUBURN – WIN

20. MIZZOU – WIN

21.  @LSU – LOSS

22. ALABAMA – WIN

23. @ VANDERBILT – WIN

24. @ MIZZOU – LOSS (close)

25. LSU – WIN (close)

26.  SOUTH CAROLINA – WIN

27.  @ MISS STATE – WIN

28.  @ KENTUCKY – LOSS

29.  GEORGIA – WIN

30.  OLE MISS – WIN

31. @ ALABAMA – WIN

12-2 Non-conference
13-5  SEC Play
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

IllinoisHog

You guys are too generous.  Look at how the games recently and how tenacious the defense was by Mich State and Virginia.  Looking at the jobs done by Bennett, Hoiberg, etc.  I give Anderson a D minus.  His team have no idea  in how to get the ball inside when their shots are not falling.  He had some luck with UAB and MO in getting to the Elite 8, but could never beat KS in their conference.  How many times do we see players launch a trey in desperation as the clock runs down.  Yes, we get a few more turnovers, but how many offensive rebounds do we give up.  His teams are fundamentally lacking compared to the Iowa State, Virginia, Mich State.  When we have to win, he can't get it done.  Look at the beatdown by Alabama and then losing to USC when leading....He is no Nolan Richardson and I serious doubt that we go to the NCAA next year.  I'm been watching Hog basketball since '75 and the last 15 years have been hell.