Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WE have to Schedule Better

Started by songofthesword, March 14, 2014, 02:45:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

songofthesword

we would be a 8-9 seed in the tounry if we had losses on our resume to real teams non conference versus wins against cream puffs

this is what we don't get in.  we play darn non conference schedules against cream puffs all year while everyone else is playing real games that matter and come march we are having to be perfect in conference to have a shot. 

we won't make the tounry until we have a real non conference schedule

hvsupastar

I agree. It seems like we've done this for years too. Neve  understood why we don't try to have a top 50 or 40 schedule every year
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

texhog

Need to travel out of state too.  I believe we have return trips next year to SMU and Clemson, correct. 

TMc

I think the SEC front office is going to start demanding that from the conference.

JONAS

We also need to beat some of those teams.

SPAL

No, we need to win SEC games that we have no business losing . Beat Florida and missou at home, beat bama and Georgia on the road, South Carolina in the SECT...we are discussing seeding.

Danny J

The SEC has hired greg shaheen to fix just that problem. The MAIN problem is the scheduling of the cream puffs meaning you need to try and predict better which cream puffs will be right around the 150-175 mark in the RPI versus teams above that. The flaw is in the RPI formulation and we need to take advantage of the formula just like other teams from smaller conferences do and a clear example would be BYU.

Each non-conf game needs to be dissected carefully and selected accordingly going into next year. So schedule a team like Pepperdine at 157 in the RPI  instead of Savannah sate at 257 because we will handily beat both those teams and the RPI bump between the two in the current formula would be dramatic.

rude1

What does scheduling have to do with losing to two bad teams at seasons end? Everything to play for was still on the table, win the ones you should and we are in. I can't recall a collapse like this from a Razorback team after getting past the difficult part of the schedule. I can remember teams of ours getting hot and playing their way in at season's end, but not collapsing and playing their way out.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on March 14, 2014, 04:10:42 pm
What does scheduling have to do with losing to two bad teams at seasons end? Everything to play for was still on the table, win the ones you should and we are in. I can't recall a collapse like this from a Razorback team after getting past the difficult part of the schedule. I can remember teams of ours getting hot and playing their way in at season's end, but not collapsing and playing their way out.
I still blame it on the staff and I am still upset. I am even more upset today than yesterday.

I mean why the hell didn't Moses get more minutes? Why didn't we adjust to whistles? Why was Portis out front of the press instead of at the rim? Why was he chasing guards 35ft from the basket? So aggravating to see our staff do nothing. Nothing to adjust the entire game.

Atlhogfan1

Scheduling will get better going forward. 

We've had a number of teams get hot to make the tourney.  I agree.  Never remember one get hot and then implode before the tourney. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 14, 2014, 04:14:37 pm
I still blame it on the staff and I am still upset. I am even more upset today than yesterday.

I mean why the hell didn't Moses get more minutes? Why didn't we adjust to whistles? Why was Portis out front of the press instead of at the rim? Why was he chasing guards 35ft from the basket? So aggravating to see our staff do nothing. Nothing to adjust the entire game.
I feel your pain, been asking these same questions all season. We just do things that simply have no rhyme or reason, and sometimes it's more detrimental than helpful by us doing it.

HawgAdvocate

Our non-conference SOS this year, according to ESPN's Daily RPI, is ranked 201st nationally.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/23

That hurt us. So yes, we need to schedule better in non-conference play.

For comparison's sake, look at the other SEC teams. There are only four SEC teams with an non-con SOS of 200+:

Arkansas - 201
A&M - 252
Auburn - 258
Mississippi St. - 349

That's clearly not a group we want to be in, especially as we continue to find ourselves on the bubble fighting for the last few spots.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on March 14, 2014, 04:17:29 pm
I feel your pain, been asking these same questions all season. We just do things that simply have no rhyme or reason, and sometimes it's more detrimental than helpful by us doing it.
Makes me pull my hair out. What do they say about the 7 stages of grief? I have worked my way through the list 5 times since the year 2000 and back to the beginning again.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 14, 2014, 04:17:29 pm
Not all interchangeable parts were created equally.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:22:35 pm
Our non-conference SOS this year, according to ESPN's Daily RPI, is ranked 201st nationally.

For comparison's sake, look at the other SEC teams. There are only for SEC teams with an non-con SOS of 200+:

Arkansas - 201
A&M - 252
Auburn - 258
Mississippi St. - 349

That's clearly not a group we want to be in, moving forward.
Agreed and our admin and staff need to sit down with Shaheen and try to dwindle the list of non-conf teams down to a good half dozen on top of our SMU, Clemson and Big 12 games scheduled. Try to find out which teams are going to be returning some key players and have the best chance to stay in the top 175 or so all year.

Letsroll1200

I don't see a issue with our schedule this year. We win against Bama and Carolina and we are in the tournament. We don't need to go schedule big name schools and loss. We need to do well in conference play. I don't believe our non-conference schedule hurt our team it was our conference play that knocked us out of the tournament.

rude1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:22:35 pm

For comparison's sake, look at the other SEC teams. There are only four SEC teams with an non-con SOS of 200+:

Arkansas - 201
A&M - 252
Auburn - 258
Mississippi St. - 349

That's clearly not a group we want to be in, especially as we continue to find ourselves on the bubble fighting for the last few spots.
I understand this and it has merit. BUT if you can't beat Bama & SC with a chance to get into the Big Dance, do you really believe we are able to beat better teams in the NC schedule, especially on the road?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 14, 2014, 04:25:15 pm
Agreed and our admin and staff need to sit down with Shaheen and try to dwindle the list of non-conf teams down to a good half dozen on top of our SMU, Clemson and Big 12 games scheduled. Try to find out which teams are going to be returning some key players and have the best chance to stay in the top 175 or so all year.

We should have it fixed, using in-house resources, well before Shaheen can get his hands on our proposed schedule. It'll be up to the basketball staff to reach out and use those resources though.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:31:09 pm
We should have it fixed, using in-house resources, well before Shaheen can get his hands on our proposed schedule. It'll be up to the basketball staff to reach out and use those resources though.
I agree and I hope they do take advantage because we need all the help we can get. I truly believe had we had a better non-conf schedule against teams higher in the RPI, just marginally so, we would be in BYU's spot for one of the last invites even losing to Carolina and Bama. At this point I will take a berth in the dance any way I can. That helps in recruiting and we need that going forward.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rude1 on March 14, 2014, 04:29:02 pm
I understand this and it has merit. BUT if you can't beat Bama & SC with a chance to get into the Big Dance, do you really believe we are able to beat better teams in the NC schedule, especially on the road?

I agree that, had we beaten Bama & SC, this is all probably moot. Although I will add that I think we would have had to beat Tennessee as well, but that's also moot.

I point to that stretch in December where five of the seven teams we played have/had RPIs ranging from 275 to 330. Those were simply brutal to our SOS and RPI. Even if those teams were swapped out with an assortment of RPIs from 125-200, it would make a large difference. Granted though, for future reference, a better NC schedule ranking should give more cushion (granted we win most of those games) as we get closer to Selection Sunday, even if it's just a few spaces higher on the s-Curve ladder.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:35:40 pm
I agree with you that, had we beaten Bama & SC, this is all probably moot. Although I will add that I think we would have had to beat Tennessee as well, but that's also moot.

I point to that stretch in December where five of the seven teams we played have/had RPIs ranging from 275 to 330. Those were simply brutal to our SOS and RPI. Granted though, for future reference, a better NC schedule ranking should give more cushion (granted we win most of those games) as we get closer to Selection Sunday, even if it's just a few spaces higher on the s-Curve ladder.
100% spot on....

JayBell

You can concentrate on the weak teams that were scheduled, but if Arkansas simply beats the teams it should, the Hogs are dancing.

Even with that supposedly horrid and embarrassing OOC schedule, Arkansas still had a top 50 RPI at its peak.  That number would have climbed even more with wins over Alabama and South Carolina as other teams lost.

Scheduling does need to be addressed, but it's not THE issue some are making it out to be.  The opposite extreme is Alabama that scheduled way too many tough OOC teams are were already beaten before conference play even started.

yraciv

I think we did try to actually schedule better, but it didn't pan out.  One thing is for sure, I can assure you year in and year out that no MEAC or SWAC team should see your schedule. RPI killers!
Se Louisiana - 5th or 6th, finished 10th
South Alabama - projected 2, finished 9th
UTSA -  was bad, but I don't think you expect a Conference USA squad to be a 300+ RPI Loss

We had 6 RPI killers against 275+ RPI teams. Cut that down to 2 or 3 and just throw in some easy 150-200 wins, and the RPI would soar.

TeedupHigh

We are young........

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: JayBell on March 14, 2014, 04:46:36 pm
You can concentrate on the weak teams that were scheduled, but if Arkansas simply beats the teams it should, the Hogs are dancing.

Even with that supposedly horrid and embarrassing OOC schedule, Arkansas still had a top 50 RPI at its peak.  That number would have climbed even more with wins over Alabama and South Carolina as other teams lost.

Scheduling does need to be addressed, but it's not THE issue some are making it out to be.  The opposite extreme is Alabama that scheduled way too many tough OOC teams are were already beaten before conference play even started.

Chicken or the egg? With better NC scheduling, and fewer 275-350 RPIs on our schedule, our RPI would have been even higher at its peak (high 30s to low 40s perhaps?) and we could likely have afforded to lose to either Carolina or Bama.

Less pressure to HAVE TO 'win or stay home' should mean a world of difference down the stretch.

azhog10

I actually think we are going to possibly see more East Coast and NE type mid major's vs. the SWAC teams we see now. I could be wrong, but I don't think we see a HUGE influx of BCS type teams. If so, it will be your bottom dwellers in said conferences. You might see one or two more OOC road games, but I do think we will see the same amount of home games as in the past. We just won't be playing these low major teams from the south. Their RPI's hurt too much, and unless they change the way they configure RPI and start giving those 175+ an NA or treat them like playing a D2 school or NAIA school, then we will have to play the conferences that garner a few more winning teams than we do now.

yraciv

Quote from: azhog10 on March 14, 2014, 04:56:25 pm
I actually think we are going to possibly see more East Coast and NE type mid major's vs. the SWAC teams we see now. I could be wrong, but I don't think we see a HUGE influx of BCS type teams. If so, it will be your bottom dwellers in said conferences. You might see one or two more OOC road games, but I do think we will see the same amount of home games as in the past. We just won't be playing these low major teams from the south. Their RPI's hurt too much, and unless they change the way they configure RPI and start giving those 175+ an NA or treat them like playing a D2 school or NAIA school, then we will have to play the conferences that garner a few more winning teams than we do now.

That is the major issue. SEC schools agree to play the SWAC like no other because they are in our region. It's safe to assume they are always going to be the worse conference.  If we limit the amount of these teams our conference plays, the conference as a whole will look better. I could care less if that causes those SWAC schools to have funding problems.  That conference is a mess, and has 4 teams ineligible due to APR this year.

JayBell

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:52:26 pmChicken or the egg? With better NC scheduling, and fewer 275-350 RPIs on our schedule, our RPI would have been even higher at its peak (high 30s to low 40s perhaps?) and we could likely have afforded to lose to either Carolina or Bama.

Less pressure to HAVE TO 'win or stay home' should mean a world of difference down the stretch.

True.  Still, you're talking about improving from horrible RPI teams to bad RPI teams.  That would provide a modest bump, if anything.

And most importantly, still have to win those games.  Arkansas lost to Alabama (122 RPI) South Carolina (128) and A&M (143).  I know those are conference games, but those losses and the games against Clemson, California, Minnesota and SMU gave folks a false sense of how good this team may have been.

IMO, a more difficult schedule this season would have cost Arkansas more losses. Everybody seems to be assuming that Arkansas would have won these tougher OOC games.  That certainly was not a given.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:52:26 pm
Chicken or the egg? With better NC scheduling, and fewer 275-350 RPIs on our schedule, our RPI would have been even higher at its peak (high 30s to low 40s perhaps?) and we could likely have afforded to lose to either Carolina or Bama.

And that is exactly why we lost to Bama and Carolina IMHO. It was the pressure to win those games and as we know over the last several years our teams don't handle pressure situations well. If we were picked to give UK a game at Rupp or picked to win that game we would have lost.

Everybody was talking about how Bama was a must win game and we are in------tons of pressure.

Then it was Carolina was a must win game to even stay in consideration------tons of pressure.

That is a lot of pressure on a team that doesn't know how to deal with that pressure and is why many people talk about getting to the dance to experience that kind of pressure to know how to deal with it the following season.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: JayBell on March 14, 2014, 05:09:28 pm
True.  Still, you're talking about improving from horrible RPI teams to bad RPI teams.  That would provide a modest bump, if anything.

And most importantly, still have to win those games.  Arkansas lost to Alabama (122 RPI) South Carolina (128) and A&M (143).  I know those are conference games, but those losses and the games against Clemson, California, Minnesota and SMU gave folks a false sense of how good this team may have been.

IMO, a more difficult schedule this season would have cost Arkansas more losses. Everybody seems to be assuming that Arkansas would have won these tougher OOC games.  That certainly was not a given.

Technically, I didn't designate that all of those 250+ RPIs had to be 175-225 RPIs. They could be 90-150 RPI teams with an extra top 75 RPI team or two as well. Also, whether we win or lose has more to do with matchups than simply looking at the opponent's RPI. More to the point there, teams that prefer to slow it down (Bama, Florida, etc) tend to give us far more trouble than teams that prefer to play up-tempo, regardless of what their RPI is.

It's certainly not easy to assume anything, as we can just as easily get upset by a 200 RPI team as we can a 100 RPI team. I do think we can agree though that Arkansas' staff should do what they can to ensure the team never has a non-conference SOS in the 200s, or even one that is 175+, ever again.

azhog10

Quote from: yraciv on March 14, 2014, 05:01:08 pm
That is the major issue. SEC schools agree to play the SWAC like no other because they are in our region. It's safe to assume they are always going to be the worse conference.  If we limit the amount of these teams our conference plays, the conference as a whole will look better. I could care less if that causes those SWAC schools to have funding problems.  That conference is a mess, and has 4 teams ineligible due to APR this year.
I agree. At some point the SEC has to cut ties with this league. They bring our OOC RPI down, and when you play one or two of those teams it really hurts. We have to realize if we are going to play mid majors then we have to schedule teams from up north. Agree to pay for their trip....idk. But make it happen. The SWAC and most Southland conference schools are killing us. Hell breakdown and play UALR or ASU for goodness sakes. I don't want to start a debate on that.......

urkillnmesmalls

I've heard this over and over, but the truth is that the you can still do just fine if you win your games.  I know people are ripping on the SEC, but I don't think I could be convinced that it's not tougher than Wichita State's conference, and they're doing fine.  Did they play any big dogs OOC?  Florida is doing OK from the SEC. 

You don't have to play 3 Big 12 and 3 ACC schools to do well.  You have to beat people...a lot, and do it on the road.  Losing to Bama and SC to end the season was terrible no matter how you slice it.  When it mattered the most...we choked, and there's no way to sugar coat it.  The only way to overcome that is experience, and getting some kids in that hate to lose so much that they aren't going to let it happen.  I'm sure we have some kids like that on the team now, but I struggle to see how we could lose to those two teams with a "can't lose" mentality, because we've proven to have more potential than them.  We just don't play up to our potential often enough. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

JONAS

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 14, 2014, 06:51:54 pm
I've heard this over and over, but the truth is that the you can still do just fine if you win your games.  I know people are ripping on the SEC, but I don't think I could be convinced that it's not tougher than Wichita State's conference, and they're doing fine.  Did they play any big dogs OOC?  Florida is doing OK from the SEC. 

You don't have to play 3 Big 12 and 3 ACC schools to do well.  You have to beat people...a lot, and do it on the road.  Losing to Bama and SC to end the season was terrible no matter how you slice it.  When it mattered the most...we choked, and there's no way to sugar coat it.  The only way to overcome that is experience, and getting some kids in that hate to lose so much that they aren't going to let it happen.  I'm sure we have some kids like that on the team now, but I struggle to see how we could lose to those two teams with a "can't lose" mentality, because we've proven to have more potential than them.  We just don't play up to our potential often enough. 

I agree if we win SEC games, then we are in.  That is our problem.  We cannot consistently beat bad SEC teams on the road.  If we would have won 2 more road games last year and this year, we would be in the NCAA Tournament.  If Madden makes a layup at Missouri, I think we are in.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: JONAS on March 14, 2014, 07:01:28 pm
I agree if we win SEC games, then we are in.  That is our problem.  We cannot consistently beat bad SEC teams on the road.  If we would have won 2 more road games last year and this year, we would be in the NCAA Tournament.  If Madden makes a layup at Missouri, I think we are in.

We'd be closer...not sure that would get us in after these two BAD losses.  Who knows?  Beating Fla, even though it was a home game, would have gone a LONG way as well. 

But let's be honest.  Getting in...is just getting in.  We don't have the pieces in place to win more than one game, and possibly two if we got really hot from three.  We would gain immeasurable experience from it, and I don't deny that, but until we have a floor leader at the PG position, and stop getting pushed around in the paint, we're not a team built to win on the road and certainly not in the NCAAT. 

Remember how Dwight Stewart would play out away from the basket and force a tall man to defend him?  That would leave Corliss to deal underneath, and serve to help unclog the lane.  Then when they zoned us...Dwight could shoot threes, and was a good passer.  We had enough guys to make people pay for zoning us, that it just didn't work typically. 

If Portis developed an outside shot, with Kingsley underneath...maybe we'd have something?  The liability with MA's system would then be playing the switch defense, and only having three guys to employ the press effectively.  There's always a trade off, and I still believe that the system will work if you have enough guys who can PLAY RELENTLESS DEFENSE every second they are on the floor, and guys who can shoot the three, and score off the dribble.  I don't think we'll ever have a traditional "post" driven offense, because finding a guy that could get up and down the court like Corliss at 6'5" and somehow dominate under the basket was EXTREMELY RARE.  We've got two guys over 6'9" that can get up and down the court, and that's a very good place to start.  They just have to figure out how to best utilize them.   

What's encouraging, is despite all of that, we were close a lot this year.  What's scary is...I can't point to anything that I think will make us better next year, and I think the next step forward will be a floor leader at the PG position, which may take a bit.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

rzrbkf4n

secfan30

Quote from: TMc on March 14, 2014, 03:42:32 pm
I think the SEC front office is going to start demanding that from the conference.

They approved this years schedule

JONAS

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 14, 2014, 07:18:39 pm
We'd be closer...not sure that would get us in after these two BAD losses.  Who knows?  Beating Fla, even though it was a home game, would have gone a LONG way as well. 

But let's be honest.  Getting in...is just getting in.  We don't have the pieces in place to win more than one game, and possibly two if we got really hot from three.  We would gain immeasurable experience from it, and I don't deny that, but until we have a floor leader at the PG position, and stop getting pushed around in the paint, we're not a team built to win on the road and certainly not in the NCAAT. 

Remember how Dwight Stewart would play out away from the basket and force a tall man to defend him?  That would leave Corliss to deal underneath, and serve to help unclog the lane.  Then when they zoned us...Dwight could shoot threes, and was a good passer.  We had enough guys to make people pay for zoning us, that it just didn't work typically. 

If Portis developed an outside shot, with Kingsley underneath...maybe we'd have something?  The liability with MA's system would then be playing the switch defense, and only having three guys to employ the press effectively.  There's always a trade off, and I still believe that the system will work if you have enough guys who can PLAY RELENTLESS DEFENSE every second they are on the floor, and guys who can shoot the three, and score off the dribble.  I don't think we'll ever have a traditional "post" driven offense, because finding a guy that could get up and down the court like Corliss at 6'5" and somehow dominate under the basket was EXTREMELY RARE.  We've got two guys over 6'9" that can get up and down the court, and that's a very good place to start.  They just have to figure out how to best utilize them.   

What's encouraging, is despite all of that, we were close a lot this year.  What's scary is...I can't point to anything that I think will make us better next year, and I think the next step forward will be a floor leader at the PG position, which may take a bit.     

Dwight Stewart had a great outside shot.  He won the TSU game in the first round in 1995.  He was like 7 of 10 form 3.  Oliver Miller even shot a few 3s.  Portis can shoot outside, but he can get better.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: JONAS on March 14, 2014, 07:53:36 pm
Dwight Stewart had a great outside shot.  He won the TSU game in the first round in 1995.  He was like 7 of 10 form 3.  Oliver Miller even shot a few 3s.  Portis can shoot outside, but he can get better.

Beck drove that team.  Don't get me wrong...we sniff nothing without Corliss and Thurman, but the toughness and floor presence came from Beck, and that's what you need to have in the NCAAT and on the road...a tough, gritty, PG whose attitude is pervasive throughout the team. 

I think MA has to say that his system doesn't require a true PG, because let's face it...they didn't have one the past three seasons.  But...I also bet that if you asked him if he would take Beck in his prime, he wouldn't be able to get the word "yes" out fast enough.

We saw what happened by trying to change how Mickelson played.  I don't think they should make that mistake with Portis.  He needs to put on some weight and get stronger, but he's never going to be a post player.  He's a power forward, and if he can further develop an outside shot, he would be VERY difficult to defend for most people matched up on him.     

Dirty

Need the attitude that we'll play anybody, anywhere!  Don't back down!

hogman99

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 14, 2014, 04:14:37 pm

Thank You, I have been asking those same questions.

It seems to me, if "Hog Ball" is working we look great as we did against Ole Miss.  However, that only happens once or twice a year.  The bigger issue is what do we do when it isn't working?  When we foul too much and give up easy layups that is the time to adjust because "Hog Ball" isn't working in a given game. Question remains is will CMA watch film, figure this out and then have a game plan next year to adjust. 

I have a thought, he can task one of the assistants to watch the game and when "Hog Ball" isn't working they can tell CMA. Heck I can be that guy, just give me a phone number I can call during the game to alert the coaches.

WxHog

I would like to see us schedule home and home series with some of the nearby teams...pick at least two out of either Tulsa, Oral Roberts or Missouri State.  Playing at one of those schools in December (instead of playing Savannah State or Texas-San Antonio) would have helped not only our RPI, but also our team mentally for SEC play. 

Sivad

Anderson's M.O. of padding his record with embarrassingly weak opponents always comes back to bite the team when it really counts.

TMc

I hope we won't be able to schedule all those ridiculous creampuffs in the future. One or two here and there, but 6-10 of them does neither team any good.

songofthesword

Quote from: Sivad on March 15, 2014, 12:27:28 pm
Anderson's M.O. of padding his record with embarrassingly weak opponents always comes back to bite the team when it really counts.
this is been going on well beore the days of MA. Pel did it. Heath did it.  Why i don't know.  but it's got to stop.

we are scheduling like we can just throw the name Arkansas on the table and get in the dance with 20 wins and it doesn't' work like that anymore. we have to be top 50 SoS every year.   Tennessee gets it. tennessee goes out and schedules real teams Out of conference.

we're the only team stupid enough deluding ourselves that thinking "well if we take care o all our games we will be fine" UK lost to south Carolina.

songofthesword

Quote from: TMc on March 15, 2014, 12:35:03 pm
I hope we won't be able to schedule all those ridiculous creampuffs in the future. One or two here and there, but 6-10 of them does neither team any good.

it's the RSN.   that's what it's all about.

the RSN wants their 6-7 games a year and they know if we schedule anyone worth a darn they won't get it.

the SECN should knock all that out

Danny J

Quote from: songofthesword on March 15, 2014, 07:13:42 pm

the RSN wants their 6-7 games a year and they know if we schedule anyone worth a darn they won't get it.

And I believe they are making a step in that direction or at least I hope they are.

passinghog

3 teams I wish we'd schedule: Kansas, Louisville and VCU. I don't see a reason why any of these schools should be afraid to play us. On the flip side, the last time we played Louisville, it was under Pel. We had no prayer.  It'd be a good game nowadays. Style-wise, all 3 would be good matchups.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: songofthesword on March 15, 2014, 07:13:42 pm

Haven't heard this one before...so Coach A has a portion of his schedule dictated to him by people who simply hold broadcast rights to show a few games to a portion of the state of Arkansas?

Umm, no.

hogsanity

You can schedule them but you still have to win the games. 10-8 is the sec was the real problem.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 15, 2014, 09:54:20 pm
You can schedule them but you still have to win the games. 10-8 is the sec was the real problem.
But OKie States conference record or the many other teams in the tourney with a conference record like ours or worse that are considered shoe ins, they deserve to be in tho right?

Okie State 8-10
Ohio St 10-8
Iowa 9-9
Baylor 9-9
Xavier 10-8
KSU 10-8
Oregon 10-8
ASU 10-8
Colorado 10-8
Stanford 10-8
Cal 10-8

These teams belong in as well??