Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships underway - Day Two

Started by JHicks3636, March 14, 2014, 12:27:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Lazas will pass the 1st 10 possible heights in the PV. Others are passing done heights but none as many as him. He will enter the competition at 16' 6.75".

JHicks3636

Heptathlon pole vault update. This event just takes a long time to complete. The event started with 15 entrants. 8 have gone out so far. The remaining 7 are still jumping. Bar is at 16'10.75. Lazas entered on the previous height and he cleared on his first attempt. He is 1st in the jump order meaning he will be the first jumper on every subsequent height. However he has announced his intention to pass at 16'10.75 and will next jump at 17'2.75. Gutsy and confident. Meanwhile Oregon's Key failed at 16'6.75.

JHicks3636

Moving to a new thread as things are winding down in the heptathlon pole vault. 4 of the then 7 entrants missed at 16'10.75 showing how gutsy it was for Lazas to pass. Only 3 jumpers left now at 17'2.75". Uibo of Georgia went out on the last height as well so each clearance would move Lazas closer to the lead.

JHicks3636

Lazas misses his first attempt at 17'2.75. The Akron entrant cleared.

JHicks3636

Lazas clears on his 2nd attempt and all 3 jumpers move to 17'6.5". Remember that Lazas is first in the jump order.

JHicks3636

Again the Akron entrant clears on his first attempt. The other two including Lazas miss on their 1st attempts.

JHicks3636

Lazas misses on his 2nd try and is down to his last chance at the height.

Hogz87

Beach is going to kill the 1000.

Keys, Ziemek, Uibo, and Lazas are all similar 1000 runners...

Lazas needs to go out and run under control but push himself to the end (which he did last year)

JHicks3636

Lazas and Ziemek cannot clear and only McCune of Akron remains now trying 17'10.5. I was hoping for one more height from Lazas.

JHicks3636

I have been ignoring the women today and I apologize. The full pentathlon will be competed today. After 2 of 5 events Gochenour of Arkansas is in 10th.

JHicks3636

McCune clears 17'10.5 on his 1st try and goes to 18'2.5. Big points coming for him in this event.

JHicks3636

McCune fails at the last height and the final event of the heptathlon, the 1000 meters, will start after a short break.

JHicks3636

Going to the 1000, Lazas sits in 2nd place only 8 points behind Ziemek and 4 ahead of Uibo of Georgia. Any of the top 6 or 7 could win this.

JHicks3636

For the women Gochenour has moved up to 6th after 3 events in the pentathlon.

ICEman

Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 15, 2014, 04:04:28 pm
Going to the 1000, Lazas sits in 2nd place only 8 points behind Ziemek and 4 ahead of Uibo of Georgia. Any of the top 6 or 7 could win this.
Beach should be the odds on favorite to win the Hep at this point; he is a sub 1:50 800m guy.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

JHicks3636

Lazas with a middle if the pack finish in the 1000. Beach won by a ton.

JHicks3636

Lazas finishes 3rd for 6 points. Unfortunately Keys of Oregon was 4th for 5 points.

Piglywigly

Considering what KL has been through the last couple of weeks that is an incredible result.  I don't think we could have expected anything more.

Hogz87

My new projections look like this after the heptathlon:

Oregon – 45
Arkansas – 40.50
Florida – 40.50
Arizona – 36

Piglywigly

Here's mine after the Hep:

Oregon - 55
Hogs - 48
Florida - 44

I had Lazas projected for 6 so no change there.  Oregon went up 2 with Keys getting 4th.

JHicks3636

On another side note, only the Women's Pentathlon is going on now. Field events start at 4:30 CST although nothing that we compete in starts until 6:30. Running events start at 7 CST. I am in Nashville going to the Predators-Blues NHL game. I will probably go in the arena about 6:30. Cell phone service in the building sucks. If you don't see me keeping up well, please post results at your pleasure. Thanks.

JHicks3636

After 4 events in the pentathlon Gochenour has fallen back to 10th.

JHicks3636

Gochenour finishes next to last in the 800 and 13th overall in the pentathlon. No points there for our ladies.

Killean

So the general consensus is that if not for injuries we likely could have won a 2nd straight indoor title?
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Hogz87

Quote from: Killean on March 15, 2014, 06:36:28 pm
So the general consensus is that if not for injuries we likely could have won a 2nd straight indoor title?

Almost no doubt about it. We still can, though, but it will take some work tonight.

The pole vault is under way. The Razorbacks have Andrew Irwin competing, who we are hoping can finish top 3. Oregon and Florida have no athletes in the PV.

Andrew Irwin has passed the first height.

10thPlanet

Piglywigly

JHicks3636

Irwin was 1 of only 2 entrants to pass at the opening height of the pole vault

Piglywigly

Fleet gets 3rd in the mile for Oregon.  That's two points less than I projected.  So now I have:

Oregon 53
Hogs 48
Gators 44

Hogz87

My projections after Fleet's 3rd place finish in the mile for Oregon:

Oregon – 51
Arkansas – 40.50
Florida – 40.50

Piglywigly

Hogz87

OMAR MCLEOD WITH THE VICTORY IN THE 60 HURDLES! WPS!

Still some work to do!

Also Irwin had a 2nd attempt clearance at 17' 4.5" but pretty much everyone is left in the competition.

Edit: Should mention that Cabral finished 4th for Oregon and Eddie Lovett finished 2nd for Florida

My projections after the hurdles:

Oregon – 52
Arkansas – 49
Florida – 43

Piglywigly

Projection after 60H - it's getting close!

Oregon - 54
Hogs - 50
Florida - 42

Hogz87

Also, I noticed we all forgot to mention that Stephanie Brown finished 2nd in the mile for the women. Good run for her.

JHicks3636

Nice to see our freshman take out the two stars of the event. Make that the former two stars.

Piglywigly

Piglywigly

Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 15, 2014, 07:29:53 pm
Nice to see our freshman take out the two stars of the event. Make that the former two stars.

Always nice to stick it to Florida a little  ;D

Danny J

Hogz87

Irwin gets another 2nd attempt clearance at 17' 8.5"...

10 have cleared that height..

one vaulter is out...

5 still jumping

Hogz87

Berry finishes 4th for Oregon in the 400...

My projections after the 400:

Oregon – 56
Arkansas – 49
Florida – 41

Piglywigly

Oregon added points in the 400 in my projection:

Ducks 57
Hogs 50
Gators 40

Piglywigly

Looks like May and Pullen will both make the Triple Jump final.  That's good news.  However, they are currently 7th and 8th.  Need to move up in the final three jumps.

Hogz87

Quote from: Piglywigly on March 15, 2014, 08:00:22 pm
Looks like May and Pullen will both make the Triple Jump final.  That's good news.  However, they are currently 7th and 8th.  Need to move up in the final three jumps.

Depends if that Green guy from Bama makes a big 3rd jump. He could push them down one spot. Should still make the final since top 9 are taken to final

JHicks3636

Thanks for posting guys. I can reload this but not the scoring site. Plus I can't get ESPN3 here to watch.

Piglywigly

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 15, 2014, 08:02:15 pm
Depends if that Green guy from Bama makes a big 3rd jump. He could push them down one spot. Should still make the final since top 9 are taken to final

You're right and that's what happened.  May and Pullen 8th and 9th going into the final. 4 thru 9 is very close.  They can move up.

ICEman

Albuquerque's attempt to host the NCAA's is fraught with sloppy officiating to go along with a sloppy facility.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

ICEman

JHicks3636

Piglywigly

Hogz87

Rono and Squella went 3rd and 4th in the 800! After yesterday, I was worried about Rono, but he did well.

Projections:

Oregon – 56
Arkansas – 52
Florida – 43