Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jabril Durham to Arkansas

Started by muddhogger, March 13, 2014, 09:58:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

The 2012 class was the 10th rated SEC class.

OKC

Quote from: -Blu on March 13, 2014, 10:31:29 pm
The system doesn't need a traditional PG to be successful, but it would really help.  This year is proof, we lost so many close game that was ours, that should have been won despite not really having a traditional PG.  And 21 wins is not too shabby, without having one.  With that said, I'm sure Coach Anderson knew he needed a guy that can really get others involved and attack the lane, but I mean what's he suppose to say if we don't have one on the roster.  "Yea, we need a traditional PG, but we don't have one."

All those Press Conferences are is about being positive and politically correct.  If you've followed recruiting over the last year of us trying to get Jerome Seagers, Desmond Lee, Anton Beard, Trey Dickerson, and all these other PGs, you knew the staff figured we needed one, by those actions alone.
I agree...Nolan's two best teams would not have been anywhere in the hunt if he didn't have Beck and Mayberry. Both were strong leaders and kept their team poised. This team has a tremendous amount of athletes and talent, but when shots weren't falling, the team appeared to be in chaos. Full disclosure...I only got to see 6-7 games and most of those were losses, so my thoughts may be skewed. I would like to see a couple of guys who can post-up and score consistently inside to help settle the nerves when outside shots aren't falling or a team plays zone.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 09:03:25 am
Those rankings don't include (not that it would raise it much):
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/98217/keaton-miles

If we can just get Atwood now, I would be really excited about the class we have coming in.  I was one of those guys that was on the bandwagon of "Our guards were good enough" that we can still make the tourney despite no PG, and we almost did, but it really did hurt us this year.  Madden is good, but he's no PG, and while Gulley has excellent defense, he's almost no threat at all on offense, and that's including scoring, getting others involved, and getting into the lane.  Looking back at the season now, if we would have had a true PG that could just get into the lane at the end of the game on all these games we lost at the end, we would be on here now discussing our seeding rather than recruits and the NIT.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 14, 2014, 09:20:35 am
If we can just get Atwood now, I would be really excited about the class we have coming in.  I was one of those guys that was on the bandwagon of "Our guards were good enough" that we can still make the tourney despite no PG, and we almost did, but it really did hurt us this year.  Madden is good, but he's no PG, and while Gulley has excellent defense, he's almost no threat at all on offense, and that's including scoring, getting others involved, and getting into the lane.  Looking back at the season now, if we would have had a true PG that could just get into the lane at the end of the game on all these games we lost at the end, we would be on here now discussing our seeding rather than recruits and the NIT.

Beard, Durham, Babb > Gulley, Kikko, Scott, and Wade.

I just think they are much more well rounded basketball players than can do more on the court. While non of them may be Gulley or Wade defensively, they are more capable of hitting outside shots, driving the lane, passing, etc.

I think Babb is being under-rated/over-looked in the eyes of our fans and recruiting experts. The kid is a solid 6'4" and can do multiple things out on the court. He will be a fun one to watch develop.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 09:30:38 am
I think insert Razorback recruit name is being under-rated/over-looked in the eyes of our fans and recruiting experts.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

klp1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 09:31:55 am
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Wash, rinse, repeat.  Oh the irony is strong on this one.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Smithian on March 13, 2014, 11:11:28 pm
I believe that Beard is a stud and is being underrated.

I also know more 3* PGs come in and take some time to develop than are day one starters on tournament caliber teams.

I believe one thing will happen, but I know something else is more likely.
Sorry, I guess I just can't see things that way, myself. If I think it will rain tomorrow, it's tough for me to also believe a perfectly sunny day is more likely.

If you strongly believe Beard is underrated, go with that, and believe in it to the fullest.

MGB1229

Man, I can see why we offered after watching that game.  He is really quick with the ball and makes good decisions.  Really good passer and shooter as well.  Reminds a little of Pargo.  Definitely an upgrade in guard play.  Will be nice to have him and Beard sharing time.  One will be on each game and will make the difference next year.  At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.  :razorback:

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 14, 2014, 01:04:11 am
Keaton Miles is 6'6 with a 7'0 wingspan and will be our best defensive player day 1 + Freakishly athletic which will pay huge dividends when we press.

then doesn't that make Jacorey expendable? Sounds like the same role.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 14, 2014, 09:46:03 am
Sorry, I guess I just can't see things that way, myself. If I think it will rain tomorrow, it's tough for me to also believe a perfectly sunny day is more likely.

If you strongly believe Beard is underrated, go with that, and believe in it to the fullest.

having seen Beard in person more than a few times, I am excited about what he will bring to this team.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: -Blu on March 14, 2014, 08:55:06 am
Otis Kirk reported that about Durham, a couple of days before Dickerson even committed or went to Iowa.  I believe his exact words in a thread when we were discussing the two, was "Don't be surprised if Durham is more of a priority than Dickerson".

Wow.  Otis for the win.  Who'd a thunk? 

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 09:31:55 am
Wash, rinse, repeat.

I think Beard is being slightly over-rated by some of our fans, especially some of the talk show hosts. I think he can come in and be better than Gulley/Kikko/Scott were at the PG spot, but anointing him the Savior of our PG problems for year 1 is too much. But him and Durham together are an upgrade over what we had this year at PG.

For Babb, when I hear guys on the radio or on here talk about our recruiting class, they immediately mention Beard and Thompson, but forget Babb sometimes. He is underrated in the sense he just isn't talked about much, but his video and articles about him seem to suggest a player that can produce in time.

When I look at Beard, Babb, and Durham (and I've seen full game video and/or watched all of them in person), I see more complete players than the four guards leaving this year. Because of that, I'm encouraged with this class.

Trey Thompson is a guy I'm not as high on. I don't expect much from him until his junior year, and at that, his ceiling is probably 6-8 ppg and 6-8 rpg tops. I don't see a future double double guy. I would have rather us taken Tory Miller, even though he is an inch or two shorter, because he plays with higher energy and can play above the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to6Se0dJX7I

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 14, 2014, 10:18:59 am
then doesn't that make Jacorey expendable? Sounds like the same role.

Yes, it does make him expendable.

My biggest gripe with Williams is that he does not embrace his role. He played a couple of games in SEC play where he looked like he took to his role (energy, hustle, garbage buckets, defense), but he mostly looks to stand out when he gets playing time. He also complained on Twitter about not playing. Things are just totaling more in the minus column with him, IMO. I'd rather give Trey Thompson some frontcourt minutes as a freshman than JaCorey Williams as a junior.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 14, 2014, 10:36:42 am
Yes, it does make him expendable.

My biggest gripe with Williams is that he does not embrace his role. He played a couple of games in SEC play where he looked like he took to his role (energy, hustle, garbage buckets, defense), but he mostly looks to stand out when he gets playing time. He also complained on Twitter about not playing. Things are just totaling more in the minus column with him, IMO. I'd rather give Trey Thompson some frontcourt minutes as a freshman than JaCorey Williams as a junior.

At least with Trey, if he can't produce all that much, you can at least tell him to stand on the blocks and take up space and bang with the opposing Center inside for a few minutes.

Hawg Red

I think a lot of fans, and even someone like Dudley Dawson, tout Beard as a "true PG" too much. Because he isn't. I'd label him a PG, but to me, a true PG is someone like Jason Kidd or John Stockton or Tyler Ennis. Someone that looks to create for others first, and that's not Beard's game. He's a scoring PG. I think he'll be great in this system, but he's a scorer first and always has been. I realize he's been working on developing into more of a pure PG the last couple of years, though, but he's not quite there yet. But, as mentioned, the system does not require that he be a true PG.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 14, 2014, 03:00:16 am
Will Harris average 18 and 12 again next season too? Lol sorry, one final time as the season nears its end.
+1 That sir was a beautiful shot across the bow !
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 14, 2014, 10:56:35 am
I think a lot of fans, and even someone like Dudley Dawson, tout Beard as a "true PG" too much. Because he isn't. I'd label him a PG, but to me, a true PG is someone like Jason Kidd or John Stockton or Tyler Ennis. Someone that looks to create for others first, and that's not Beard's game. He's a scoring PG. I think he'll be great in this system, but he's a scorer first and always has been. I realize he's been working on developing into more of a pure PG the last couple of years, though, but he's not quite there yet. But, as mentioned, the system does not require that he be a true PG.

Yeah, Beard is not that type of PG. I would compare him more to someone like Derek Fisher or some have used a Mike Bibby comparison. For Beard next year, I would be happy with something like 6 ppg and 3 apg. I don't think that is unreasonable.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 09:30:38 am
Beard, Durham, Babb > Gulley, Kikko, Scott, and Wade.

I just think they are much more well rounded basketball players than can do more on the court. While non of them may be Gulley or Wade defensively, they are more capable of hitting outside shots, driving the lane, passing, etc.

I think Babb is being under-rated/over-looked in the eyes of our fans and recruiting experts. The kid is a solid 6'4" and can do multiple things out on the court. He will be a fun one to watch develop.

No doubt about it.  I agree with all of this, especially the part about the incoming guards being MUCH greater than the outgoing ones.  While I like all of the outgoing guys and appreciate their time here, they really don't have enough talent for us to get to the next level.  Beard/Durham/Babb appear to have much more overall talent/skill, especially offensively speaking.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 11:16:28 am
Yeah, Beard is not that type of PG. I would compare him more to someone like Derek Fisher or some have used a Mike Bibby comparison. For Beard next year, I would be happy with something like 6 ppg and 3 apg. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I think both of those are good comparisons. Sturdy guards that can knock down shots (not say he's a shooter) and make big plays. I like Beard's toughness. I think he'll be a good Hog.

RyeHogFan

I would take a Bibby or Fisher-like player, no questions asked!

The Hogfather

I think Beard will be a little more like Releford.

The_Iceman

Kevin

Quote from: jjdlc on March 13, 2014, 10:41:48 pm
It may not "need" one, but it definitely benefits from having one or more. 

There were several times this year we would have greatly benefited from having a true PG on the floor.

just pointing out, don't believe everything coming out of a coaches mouth.

i think he made the statement based on the fact he has failed to sign a good one in two years of recruiting
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

don't know if the kid can play.

juco's are always a risk
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Breems

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2014, 12:00:01 pm
just pointing out, don't believe everything coming out of a coaches mouth.

i think he made the statement based on the fact he has failed to sign a good one in two years of recruiting

Absolutely right, Kevin.

All "systems" AKA basketball teams need a "true" AKA good PG.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2014, 12:03:25 pm

juco's are always a risk
Not much risk when you have a scholarship available, have a need at that position, and you're only taking them on for 2 years. You usually have a better idea of juco players than you do high school 3* players.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2014, 12:03:25 pm

juco's are always a risk

Have you watched the video of him before making that conclusion?

The Hogfather

LJHOG

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 12:10:51 pm
I say we wait until he's played at least a half for us and then we bash him.  Got to have an evaluation period.

HawgAdvocate

For Beard next year, I would be happy with something like 6 ppg and 3 apg. I don't think that is unreasonable.

We've only had two players reach 3+ dimes/game over the past three years: BJ Young & Ju Nobles, and it took 28+ minutes/game to achieve that for each.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Nipsey Mussle

Beard's game reminds me of Tony Delk. The dude can flat out score.

HUNGLOWHOG

is it me or does it seems like his jump shot is a little funky ???

Smithian

Quote from: -Blu on March 14, 2014, 09:20:35 am
So BJ Young.......

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 12:10:51 pm

juco's in general are a crap shoot. you never know what how they are going to pan out

ricepig

Quote from: Smithian on March 14, 2014, 01:56:02 pm
So BJ Young.......

A BJ Young that would pass some would have been great!

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on March 13, 2014, 10:21:00 pm
He was ask in the preseason about the pg position, and he said this style does not need a traditional pg.
Beard is FAR from a traditional PG. Most have always said Beard is more of a Combo Guard. He can play on the ball and off. So it looks as though what CMA said has nothing to do with the HS PG we are bringing in. Back to Jabril, looking forward to seeing what he can do with the Hogs.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ricepig on March 14, 2014, 02:07:05 pm
A BJ Young that would pass some would have been great!

BJ led the team with 105 assists his last year here (3.4/game), which was nearly twice many as the next guy (Madden - 57).

This season, for perspective purposes, Madden led all with 81 assists. Prior to Young we hadn't had a player with 100+ assists since Fortson had 103 in 2010-11.

Too many bash what we had, and at the same time unknowingly still wish we had it. Yay Hogville!

azhog10

Back to Jabril, one stat that not many have brought up is his rebounding. He ranks 10th in NJCAA II in rebounding. Pretty darn impressive for a PG. Our guards have been horrid all year at blocking out. Too often we have seen guards getting those long rebounds against our zone. Encouraging to see us bring in a guy shooting 44% from three and a great rebounder for his position.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 02:45:19 pm
BJ led the team with 105 assists his last year here (3.4/game), which was nearly twice many as the next guy (Madden - 57).

This season, for perspective purposes, Madden led all with 81 assists. Prior to Young we hadn't had a player with 100+ assists since Fortson had 103 in 2010-11.

Too many bash what we had, and at the same time unknowingly still wish we had it. Yay Hogville!
No doubt BJ would have helped. Him and Fortson were both a little frustrating when it came to not passing the ball. That said they both led our teams in assists. I would say much of BJ's criticism came from his effort on the other side of the ball. There is very little doubt about how good BJ would have been for us, if he wanted to be. BJ's problem was more to do with himself than anything else. He was a talent without a doubt and was the main reason we won some games when he was here.

Hawg Red

You can be a selfish player and still get assists. Plenty of examples of that. Not everything B.J. Young did was bad or unwanted, obviously. But he never cared for defense and he wasn't a leader at all. Was also a bit of a loner, from what I've heard. He clearly wanted to play pro ball, so all things considered, many fans didn't have a problem with his decision. Him leaving gave Madden a chance to spread his wings.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 02:45:19 pm

When you have the ball in your hand all the time, the odds increase you will have more assists. So, you think BJ shared the ball? Actually, his poor shooting and defense were worse than his assist numbers, but, I wouldn't quantify him as a facilitator.

HawgAdvocate

Bash him all you want for his perimeter D and/or the one season where he didn't shoot so well. Clearly those two issues are/were not exclusive to BJ when it comes to recent Razorback perimeter players.

Point being, in his final season:

Yes, he shot a lot.
Yes, he passed a lot (100+ assists can't be disputed)
Yes, he had the ball a lot.

Carry on.

MissippHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2014, 02:02:37 pm
juco's in general are a crap shoot. you never know what how they are going to pan out
Same can be said for the majority of all recruits out there. No one knows how any of them are going to pan out.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 03:45:18 pm
Bash him all you want for his perimeter D and/or the one season where he didn't shoot so well. Clearly those two issues are/were not exclusive to BJ when it comes to recent Razorback perimeter players.

Point being, in his final season:

Yes, he shot a lot.
Yes, he passed a lot (100+ assists can't be disputed)
Yes, he had the ball a lot.

Carry on.

Thank you, I will, not that I needed your approval. Fact is, we had more assists this year without him.

The_Iceman

I really enjoyed watching BJ Young in 2012. In 2013, not so much. Didn't like how he disappeared for games and his awful shooting stroke that resulted in going from a 41% 3-pt shooter to a 22% shooter.

He became a more inefficient player.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ricepig on March 14, 2014, 03:53:55 pm
Fact is, we had more assists this year without him.

That's great and all, even if it is an entirely different topic.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 14, 2014, 04:08:25 pm
That's great and all, even if it is an entirely different topic.

It says the ball was shared by more, thus more points this season.