Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jabril Durham to Arkansas

Started by muddhogger, March 13, 2014, 09:58:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

muddhogger

May be posted somewhere else but I just saw this on twitter.

@JucoRecruiting: ICYMI: Jabril Durham (6-1/G/2014) of Seminole State (OK) committed to Arkansas today.

ricepig

Per twitter, Brad Winton, Jabril committed to us today, welcome.   :razorback:

Kevin

So a system, the head coach said doesn't have to have a pg, has now signed a juco & hs pg.

I guess it does need a pg
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Stang1970

Quote from: Kevin on March 13, 2014, 10:04:36 pm
So a system, the head coach said doesn't have to have a pg, has now signed a juco & hs pg.

When did he say it didn't need a PG.  Every successful team he has had in the past had a very solid PG to run the team.

-Blu

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 13, 2014, 10:04:36 pm

He's signed them before. And I don't believe he's ever said we don't "need" a PG.

RazorPiggie

Hopefully this isn't another Wagner like signing.

Kevin

He was ask in the preseason about the pg position, and he said this style does not need a traditional pg.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

-Blu

Quote from: Kevin on March 13, 2014, 10:21:00 pm
He was ask in the preseason about the pg position, and he said this style does not need a traditional pg.

The system doesn't need a traditional PG to be successful, but it would really help.  This year is proof, we lost so many close game that was ours, that should have been won despite not really having a traditional PG.  And 21 wins is not too shabby, without having one.  With that said, I'm sure Coach Anderson knew he needed a guy that can really get others involved and attack the lane, but I mean what's he suppose to say if we don't have one on the roster.  "Yea, we need a traditional PG, but we don't have one."

All those Press Conferences are is about being positive and politically correct.  If you've followed recruiting over the last year of us trying to get Jerome Seagers, Desmond Lee, Anton Beard, Trey Dickerson, and all these other PGs, you knew the staff figured we needed one, by those actions alone.

HawgTide

Welcome aboard Jabril.

A true point guard would have made a huge impact this year.Nice to see we are adding two for next year.

Hatleyville454

A PG that averaged 21pts, 5.5reb, 6.7assists, 50%FG, 44%3pt, 74%FT last year? Umm, yeah, I will take him.

Plus, guys that have seen him in person say he's the truth. Good pickup

-Blu

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 13, 2014, 10:19:53 pm
Hopefully this isn't another Wagner like signing.

Don't think Wagner had offers from Ok State, Marquette, and Auburn.  Wagner only had SWAC and mid-major offers.  And Durham has dominated in both NAIA and JUCO ball, he hasn't just been playing local schools around Louisiana and coming right out of high school like Wagner.  And the other biggest difference is, we aren't scrambling to replace a lost guard (Nobles) and taking a risk like we did with Wagner.  The staff has been looking at some of these guys for a while now, and it's still plenty of time in the Spring signing period, so this is not like, we gotta just take a chance on somebody. 

jjdlc

It may not "need" one, but it definitely benefits from having one or more. 

There were several times this year we would have greatly benefited from having a true PG on the floor.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on March 13, 2014, 10:31:29 pm
The system doesn't need a traditional PG to be successful, but it would really help.  This year is proof, we lost so many close game that was ours, that should have been won despite not really having a traditional PG.  And 21 wins is not too shabby, without having one.  With that said, I'm sure Coach Anderson knew he needed a guy that can really get others involved and attack the lane, but I mean what's he suppose to say if we don't have one on the roster.  "Yea, we need a traditional PG, but we don't have one."

All those Press Conferences are is about being positive and politically correct.  If you've followed recruiting over the last year of us trying to get Jerome Seagers, Desmond Lee, Anton Beard, Trey Dickerson, and all these other PGs, you knew the staff figured we needed one, by those actions alone.

If you want to get over the hump and win those close games you need skilled PG play.  Someone who can get the ball to the hot players in their shooting range.  Also a pg who is a floor general and a leader. 

-Blu

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 13, 2014, 10:45:03 pm
If you want to get over the hump and win those close games you need skilled PG play.  Someone who can get the ball to the hot players in their shooting range.  Also a pg who is a floor general and a leader.

I completely agree, I think a true PG was the difference between us being on the wrong and right side of the bubble.  Really looking forward to next year with us having 2 true PG, and Ky Madden being free to be the two guard and just focus on scoring.

Smithian

Quote from: -Blu on March 13, 2014, 10:53:49 pm
I completely agree, I think a true PG was the difference between us being on the wrong and right side of the bubble.  Really looking forward to next year with us having 2 true PG, and Ky Madden being free to be the two guard and just focus on scoring.
Assuming you're counting Beard and Wagner or Durham.

Beard I think will be a stud but he is a 3* freshman. I think he comes in and from day one is a starter at the 1 and a big time player. It is more likely he comes in and needs a couple years to develop.

Between Wagner and Durham you have a guy who hasn't played much and a 1st year JUCO player. We've had a lot of JUCO players come in and do well for the Hogs, but many of them take until their second season season to contribute. I'm not ready to say Durham is a Sonny Weems and ready to come in and dominate when he may have been the backup plan.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2014, 09:59:45 pm

and let the bashing begin.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Smithian on March 13, 2014, 11:00:44 pm
Beard I think will be a stud but he is a 3* freshman. I think he comes in and from day one is a starter at the 1 and a big time player. It is more likely he comes in and needs a couple years to develop.
Wait, what? How can you think that and also know it's more likely not to happen? If you know it's not likely, then you can't think that, right?

FineAsSwine

Ok. Now it's starting to look like Wagner is leaving. 

-Blu

Between Wagner and Durham you have a guy who hasn't played much and a 1st year JUCO player. We've had a lot of JUCO players come in and do well for the Hogs, but many of them take until their second season season to contribute. I'm not ready to say Durham is a Sonny Weems and ready to come in and dominate when he may have been the backup plan.

I agree with you on Beard, I think he starts from day 1.  And he will do like what Portis has done, and that's not "be the guy" but be a hard worker and get better and better each game and make this team better.

And not trying to player bash here, but I would be surprised if Wagner is in the rotation next year, the times that he's received in clean-up minutes he hasn't looked good at all, I seen him in red/white and practice and didn't do anything there as well.  Also, the PG position has been COMPLETELY wide open, and the fact the coaches didn't even try him there, even when Wade, Scott weren't even in the rotation and Gulley was playing the first few minutes of the game, then sitting.  Every scouting report I've seen and read so far on Durham says he'll be ready to play next year.  One of the Arkansas recruiting analyst said about a week ago, after watching Durham play live he'd rather have him over Trey Dickerson, and this was when everyone was optimistic about us getting Trey.

Smithian

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 13, 2014, 11:08:40 pm
Wait, what? How can you think that and also know it's more likely not to happen? If you know it's not likely, then you can't think that, right?
I believe that Beard is a stud and is being underrated.

I also know more 3* PGs come in and take some time to develop than are day one starters on tournament caliber teams.

I believe one thing will happen, but I know something else is more likely.

FineAsSwine

Hope we add Atwood with him. Harris can't carry the load. Still looks like a limited role player.

Danny J

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 13, 2014, 11:14:43 pm
Hope we add Atwood with him. Harris can't carry the load. Still looks like a limited role player.
If I am Harris I am trying out for DE or TE for our football team this year. Talk about a bull in a China shop on the offensive end of the court. I really think he would make a good TE.

Danny J

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 13, 2014, 11:05:13 pm
and let the bashing begin.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Why do you say that?

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OnTheHillHogFan

If we can get Atwood then Wagner won't be here next year.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on March 14, 2014, 12:42:08 am
If we can get Atwood then Wagner won't be here next year.

Keaton Miles is 6'6 with a 7'0 wingspan and will be our best defensive player day 1 + Freakishly athletic which will pay huge dividends when we press.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 14, 2014, 01:04:11 am
Keaton Miles is 6'6 with a 7'0 wingspan and will be our best defensive player day 1 + Freakishly athletic which will pay huge dividends when we press.
Will Harris average 18 and 12 again next season too? Lol sorry, one final time as the season nears its end.

ballinhog

Don't know a lot about this guy, spent my time doing homework on Trey Dickerson and Dequon Miller. Just seen this guy on our radar the other day after Dickerson committed to Iowa. When that happened then my personal choice was Miller. So I heard about Durham and paid no attention to it because I really liked Miller. But I went and looked at his season stats and I must say I am very impressed and excited about him.

First off he's a great shooter, hitting 44.1% from behind the arc, he shot 50.1% from the field, and 74.2 % from the free throw line. I also studied his box scores and seen something you rarely if ever see from any player at any level.

In his teams first game of the year he played just 25 minutes, in those 25 minutes on the court he had 15 points, 10 assists, 10 steals, and 9 rebounds. You just don't see those numbers anywhere

Averaged 21 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 6.7 assists per game. Looks like a point guard that's a stat sheet stuffer.

Game highs for the season was

Rebounds: 13

Steals: 10

Assists: 12

3pt made: 6-8 in one game

FT made: had a game where he went 13-14

FG made: 12 field goals made was his season high

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

HOGINTENNESSEE

Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Western Kentucky, Marquette

If true that's an excellent offer list.

Beaverfever

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 13, 2014, 11:14:43 pm
I can't believe how many minutes Harris played last night.  With one game to decide whether we go to the tourney or not I would have asked Clarke to play every minute of the game. 

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: ricepig on March 13, 2014, 09:59:45 pm

So many commas

Pork Twain

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 13, 2014, 11:48:15 pm
Plan c JuCo pg. 

Perfect complement to our 7th consecutive 1 and done at the SECT...
Good offer sheet and good numbers but please remain classless in your posting
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 13, 2014, 11:48:15 pm
Plan c JuCo pg. 

Perfect complement to our 7th consecutive 1 and done at the SECT...

If a plan C PG scores 21 ppg, shoots 44% from 3, along with 7 asts and 5 rebs per game....then I'll take it.

Just wondering, have you even seen him play?

hogville38

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 08:19:53 am
If a plan C PG scores 21 ppg, shoots 44% from 3, along with 7 asts and 5 rebs per game....then I'll take it.

Just wondering, have you even seen him play?
Why would anyone on here base a educated analysis on a player or coach on hogville. If they are not top ten recruit to some on here it's a bust.

The Hogfather

I thought a little while back, prior to us offering Dickerson and with a lot of talk about the Miller kid, someone said Jabril Durham was actually the only JUCO PG with an offer.  I can't remember who said that (I think maybe Blu?) and I'm not sure if it is actually true.  If it is, he obviously wasn't our "plan c" PG.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2014, 08:30:45 am
I thought a little while back, prior to us offering Dickerson and with a lot of talk about the Miller kid, someone said Jabril Durham was actually the only JUCO PG with an offer.  I can't remember who said that (I think maybe Blu?) and I'm not sure if it is actually true.  If it is, he obviously wasn't our "plan c" PG.

I do remember someone saying that Durham was likely Mike's top priority, but I didn't believe it because it seemed like Dickerson was our guy.

SemperFi

Welcome aboard Jabril Durham!

Haven't seen any video, but his stats are impressive. Has a really nice offer list to boot. Mike Anderson understands that unless he pulls it all together that his time on the Hill is limited, so if he offers it must be because the kid can play.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 08:35:21 am
I do remember someone saying that Durham was likely Mike's top priority, but I didn't believe it because it seemed like Dickerson was our guy.

I had never heard of him prior to that, but the poser saying that was adamant that he was our 1st JUCO PG offer.

-Blu

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2014, 08:30:45 am

Yea, even when we were looking at Miller and Purcell for guards, Durham was the only one with a scholarship, and apparently he's had that offer for a while, but we are just knowing about it now.  I know myself I just knew about it a week and a half ago though.  But,  from what I've read in an article and what a couple of Arkansas recruiting guys has said, Durham, looks to have been a priority.  I don't think none of us knew this until last night after talking to Durham, but Coach Anderson had flown out to do an in-home visit with Durham and has been to several of his games and expressed how much we wanted him to come to Arkansas, and has recruited him the heaviest of any other school.  Those are all Durham's words.

My assumption is, we've been looking at him and interested in getting him for a while, but the staff was very quite about it, and he probably had one of those "silent" offers out to him that really wasn't committable at the time he got it.  They were probably intrigued with Trey Dickerson for the fact that he had 3 years and could come in a package deal with Willie Atwood, so they tried to see what could become of that first, when Dickerson decided to go to Iowa, that made the offer committable.  And I wouldn't say that would make Durham a plan B or C option, it's just the staff trying to get more for less.  I mean even if you prefer Durham over Dickerson, Dickerson comes with 1 more year of eligibility and possibly Willie Atwood a top 4 JUCO player.

discombobulationist

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on March 13, 2014, 10:37:03 pm
A PG that averaged 21pts, 5.5reb, 6.7assists, 50%FG, 44%3pt, 74%FT last year? Umm, yeah, I will take him.

Plus, guys that have seen him in person say he's the truth. Good pickup

If he can be half as productive as his JUCO numbers, he'll be a solid pickup.

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 06:24:00 am
Our 2014 class now:

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Commits

Our BB class is 8th in the SEC? Ouch.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

The Hogfather

Here is what I was remembering, I think:

Quote from: -Blu on March 09, 2014, 12:20:30 am
Honestly, this is what I think happens.  We will get another PG for sure, I think the staff is going to go all out to get us another, they've seen Madden is more of a 2 guard and he's gone after next year.  We need another PG, especially if Beard takes a little longer to develop.  I've been trying to find out more about this Jabril Durham kid, I seen on a pay board, one of the "recruiting analyst" there was saying he was more of target for us than Dickerson was, which is surprising, considering we haven't heard much about him, until a couple days ago.

And I think Atwood, was just such a good player we were going to take him no matter what if we had a shot with him considering he's an Arkansas kid, and has connections to Portis and Kingsley.  I honestly think if Atwood comes here JaCorey will be gone, and that's where the other scholarship would come from. It's just not enough room for that many forwards, and Jacorey would be the odd man out, and I can't see him sticking around to ride the bench another year.

So to sum it up.  I think we'll get a PG for sure, if Atwood doesn't come here, we won't pursue another forward and we'll stick with our guys we have now.

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Quote from: discombobulationist on March 14, 2014, 08:48:28 am
If he can be half as productive as his JUCO numbers, he'll be a solid pickup.

Our BB class is 8th in the SEC? Ouch.

Means absolutely nothing.

-Blu

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 14, 2014, 08:48:30 am
Here is what I was remembering, I think:

Otis Kirk reported that about Durham, a couple of days before Dickerson even committed or went to Iowa.  I believe his exact words in a thread when we were discussing the two, was "Don't be surprised if Durham is more of a priority than Dickerson".

Hawg Red

Quote from: Smithian on March 13, 2014, 11:11:28 pm
I believe that Beard is a stud and is being underrated.

I also know more 3* PGs come in and take some time to develop than are day one starters on tournament caliber teams.

I believe one thing will happen, but I know something else is more likely.

Smithian,

I'm aware of what Beard's star rating is one the 4 major sites (half 4 star, half 3 star), but I think you're misrepresenting his ranking quite a bit. His composite national ranking is 101. I don't consider top 100ish (within 10 spots) players to be 3 star players.