Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN: Bielema eager for next step at Arkansas

Started by kaptainkory, March 13, 2014, 02:25:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptainkory

March 13, 2014, 02:25:39 pm Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:58:12 pm by kaptainkory
Bielema eager for next step at Arkansas

Mostly a positive article (for a change), but this...

Quote"We're going to try and simplify it for our players and get them lined up quickly and put them in a position to play aggressively."

How many pre-seasons and in-seasons in a row have we heard this now?  Do we literally have the dumbest players on the planet Earth?  What, are the coaches communicating in grunts and pointing fingers at this point?

B501

LZH

Quote from: b501 on March 13, 2014, 02:29:27 pm
like this? hahaha

I see Shelley Long, Dennis Quaid, Ringo Starr, Bernie from "Cocoon", Avery Shrieber, John Matuzak, etc.  Boy, what a star-making flick THAT was, lol.  Nice find, I love watching clips of old, bad movies from my childhood.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: kaptainkory on March 13, 2014, 02:25:39 pm

How many pre-seasons and in-seasons in a row have we heard this now?  Do we literally have the dumbest players on the planet Earth?  What, are the coaches communicating in grunts and pointing figures at this point?

They are talking about getting the defense to play more aggressively rather than reading and reacting. Last year's defense forced an abnormally low number of turnovers and was pretty light on lost-yardage tackles other than sacks. They thought complexity slowed down the defense last year. The safeties sure didn't look like they knew how to read fast enough. But speeding them up would help them get to the wrong place sooner.
[CENSORED]!

Vantage 8 dude

How many pre-seasons and in-seasons in a row have we heard this now?  Do we literally have the dumbest players on the planet Earth?  What, are the coaches communicating in grunts and pointing fingers at this point?
It's pretty much an accepted fact that the less a kid has to think about an assignment/alignment, etc. the more aggressive they can be 'cause they tend to let their natural athleticism take over. I don't take these remarks as indicating any of the players are dumb or dimwitted no matter what some may think.

kaptainkory

March 13, 2014, 05:32:33 pm #5 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:50:01 pm by kaptainkory
Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 13, 2014, 03:49:04 pm
It's pretty much an accepted fact that the less a kid has to think about an assignment/alignment, etc. the more aggressive they can be 'cause they tend to let their natural athleticism take over. I don't take these remarks as indicating any of the players are dumb or dimwitted no matter what some may think.

Find the last time an Arkansas coach said something along the lines of "Our players are really picking it up...I think we'll step it up a notch with a more complex scheme."  For as SIMPLE as our coaches repeatedly--repeatedly--say our players need it reduced, in public circles nevertheless...I'd say they're pretty dang dumb.

(No, but seriously, I know quotes like these are just coach-speak for "we suck...and we're still trying to suck less".)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kaptainkory on March 13, 2014, 05:32:33 pm
Find the last time an Arkansas coach said something along the lines of "Our players are really picking it...I think we'll step it up a notch with a more complex scheme."  For as SIMPLE as our coaches repeatedly--repeatedly--say our players need it reduced, in public circles nevertheless...I'd say they're pretty dang dumb.

(No, but seriously, I know quotes like these are just coach-speak for "we suck...and we're still trying to suck less".)

No, what it means is that the best system is where a system becomes so easily engrained that kids don't have to think about what to do, but just react because they know what to do, and can utilize their natural and developed athletic ability to make plays. Too doggone many reads per a particular scheme tends to slow down reaction time and in this conference, that split second or two can put you a step or two behind and that is the difference between being in position to make tackles, or allowing a big gain.
Go Hogs Go!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 13, 2014, 03:00:01 pm
They are talking about getting the defense to play more aggressively rather than reading and reacting. Last year's defense forced an abnormally low number of turnovers and was pretty light on lost-yardage tackles other than sacks. They thought complexity slowed down the defense last year. The safeties sure didn't look like they knew how to read fast enough. But speeding them up would help them get to the wrong place sooner.
bwahahahahahahaha

PP

bphi11ips

How many pre-seasons and in-seasons in a row have we heard this now? 

Not sure.  How long has Bielema been here now? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kaptainkory on March 13, 2014, 06:00:07 pm
Find man with ball...tackle man with ball to ground.  I should get paid millions.  I just came up with the best system!  Hehehe.

So, my claim is still *our players are dumb as rocks* based on the evidence of on-field performance/mental errors and coaches for several years publicly stating how "simplified" they have to make the system.

So, what exactly is the evidence on the counter-claim that are players are NOT dumb as rocks?

I appreciate the patience of posters in this thread explaining it all out, by the way, but have no sense of humor to go along with it.

No sense of humor need be implied. I think you are missing the point entirely.
Go Hogs Go!

kaptainkory

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 13, 2014, 06:07:12 pm
Not sure.  How long has Bielema been here now? 

Uh, we've heard this for many seasons...well before and into Bielema's tenure.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 13, 2014, 06:23:13 pm #11 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:07:40 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: kaptainkory on March 13, 2014, 06:13:28 pm
Enlighten me, all knowing.  It's mostly a joke...K?  But, we still have sucked, particularly on defense.  And our players probably really aren't all that bright.

Joke? Our players are dumb? Is that really supposed to be funny? Well if you enjoy taking potshots at our players and others enjoy you doing that, in some perverted way, I guess that would be funny, if you weren't an Arkansas fan and didn't respect the efforts that they put forth.

I think you are wrong and it has more to do with the scheme that has been taught, which was under the third different DC in as many years, now heading into the 4th different DC in as many years. I wouldn't be critical of them until you have walked a mile in their shoes at this level. Now on the other hand, if you have started in the Secondary for an SEC team in the last 4 or 5 years, then maybe you have a right to be critical of them.
Go Hogs Go!

BOAR_N2BWILD

I like what CBB says about Peavey in the article. If he can play let him play.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Ramtough

Maybe we need to make up some pictures of famous people and cartoon characters and put it on poster boards to help communicate what play we will be running. Hell I think I"ve seen this somewhere before??

You point out a lot when you point out that 3 different DCs with 3 different schemes is difficult to absorb.  Mostly the same players and 3 different for sure schemes in 3 years.  What this really points out is that the coaches try to teach what they at least think they know best and to hell with whats the best for the players on hand.  I think most fans way overrate the average coach, ability wise.  Wouldn't it be easier for one coach to learn the language that the current players know and understand instead of having 40 to 50 players on each side of the ball having to learn different terminology annually.  Wouldn't it be nice if our coaches would know and understand what the prototypical player should look like, act like and have skills for, at each position, then evaluate the players, see what you got and then play a defense and offense based on what  players are available and fits them best.  What we are getting from all these staffs is what the staff wants to run.  Its would be like a chef with nothing but chicken available to prepare, but demands that the entire meal be based around beef.  Or a car owner who has nothing but buckets of pickup parts demanding he be allowed in the Indy 500.  This one problem is why a very, very few coaches can take what they have and get those players to excel.  They are in the best scheme for the players and not trying to operate something just because that's all the coach knows or that his ego demands.  If we were playing football instead coaches choice, players would be in positions that use their best talents and real coaches would know more than 1 or 2 schemes or methods to field a team.

We don't have 85 to 100 players year after year that cannot understand the basics of football.  But I would guess the typical D1 staff has about 50 percent losers and bad staffs run up to 100 percent losers that cannot coach, lead or explain what the players need to know.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on March 13, 2014, 07:12:57 pm
You point out a lot when you point out that 3 different DCs with 3 different schemes is difficult to absorb.  Mostly the same players and 3 different for sure schemes in 3 years.  What this really points out is that the coaches try to teach what they at least think they know best and to hell with whats the best for the players on hand.  I think most fans way overrate the average coach, ability wise.  Wouldn't it be easier for one coach to learn the language that the current players know and understand instead of having 40 to 50 players on each side of the ball having to learn different terminology annually.  Wouldn't it be nice if our coaches would know and understand what the prototypical player should look like, act like and have skills for, at each position, then evaluate the players, see what you got and then play a defense and offense based on what  players are available and fits them best.  What we are getting from all these staffs is what the staff wants to run.  Its would be like a chef with nothing but chicken available to prepare, but demands that the entire meal be based around beef.  Or a car owner who has nothing but buckets of pickup parts demanding he be allowed in the Indy 500.  This one problem is why a very, very few coaches can take what they have and get those players to excel.  They are in the best scheme for the players and not trying to operate something just because that's all the coach knows or that his ego demands.  If we were playing football instead coaches choice, players would be in positions that use their best talents and real coaches would know more than 1 or 2 schemes or methods to field a team.

We don't have 85 to 100 players year after year that cannot understand the basics of football.  But I would guess the typical D1 staff has about 50 percent losers and bad staffs run up to 100 percent losers that cannot coach, lead or explain what the players need to know.

Every coach that you hire has a particular system/philosophy that they embrace that requires a particular kind of player that fits those systems. Typically, you hire that coach because of his systems/philosophy and the chances that it offers you to win sooner than later, while also embracing your educational philosophies in terms of graduates and/or APR. Chicken vs. Beef, not withstanding.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hog911 on March 13, 2014, 07:58:29 pm
Let this sink in we have lost 12 straight SEC games! With our coach focusing on slowing down the game instead of figuring out how to stop it, we may be looking at 20 straight SEC losses! Wow, but keep backing our self righteous, self seeking AD, who will leave us high and dry as soon as something better comes along! Let the Arkansas Curse continue!

You need to be on something that brings you down from this delusional level that you exist upon.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

I am ready for them to move ahead too. 2 years of getting curb stomped is ENOUGH!!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WoePigSooie

Okay I laughed at that

hog911

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 13, 2014, 08:11:53 pm
You need to be on something that brings you down from this delusional level that you exist upon.

Exactly how is stating facts make me delusional? I'm sorry, until we are back at the level Petrino had us on I'm not willing to cut Jeff or Brett any slack!

I am sorry but we are sure proud of our leadership based on nothing but potential.  If all this potential breaks out at the same time, we gonna be proud, real proud.  NC in football and basketball in the same year.  That will shut up the naysayers, huh, right.

chitwnhog

Quote from: 12247 on March 13, 2014, 09:37:32 pm
I am sorry but we are sure proud of our leadership based on nothing but potential.  If all this potential breaks out at the same time, we gonna be proud, real proud.  NC in football and basketball in the same year.  That will shut up the naysayers, huh, right.

Nope...won't shut em up, they will just rage about the fact that Malzahn got Auburn to the NC game in his first year and "Bert" is inferior.  Winning will not change a thing with some, they might post less when the ship gets turned around but they will not change.

wachhog

...our self righteous, self seeking AD, who will leave us high and dry as soon as something better comes along! Let the Arkansas Curse continue!
Let's hope so.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 13, 2014, 02:48:41 pm
I see Shelley Long, Dennis Quaid, Ringo Starr, Bernie from "Cocoon", Avery Shrieber, John Matuzak, etc.  Boy, what a star-making flick THAT was, lol.  Nice find, I love watching clips of old, bad movies from my childhood.

Movie was made the year I was born.  It's not a bad movie...quite hilarious if you ask me.  Just as good as most of the crap comedies that hit the theaters these days.  How many times do you really want to see Will Ferrell running around in whitey-tidies?

I about wizzed my pants when the blind man was rubbing the Trex "the right way" and then he whacks the Trex with his cane hahaha.

Vantage 8 dude

Let this sink in we have lost 12 straight SEC games! With our coach focusing on slowing down the game instead of figuring out how to stop it, we may be looking at 20 straight SEC losses! Wow, but keep backing our self righteous, self seeking AD, who will leave us high and dry as soon as something better comes along! Let the Arkansas Curse continue!
We're all very (painfully) aware of our current streak and I don't know a single true Hog fan that isn't more than ready to have it turned around. Having said that I'd honestly suggest for you own blood pressure you take some type of "chill pill" before you blow a friggin' gasket. Geezzzzzzzzzzz........................

bennyl08

You know how I know most of hogville didn't actually read the link? We are talking about defense instead of his comments on the quarterbacks.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jkstock04

LBs as well. They would stand there flat footed watching the ball carrier come to them. LB play last year was comparable to 2008, but in my opinion even a little worse. I have never seen anything like it in my entire life, you could take slow white kids from small 2A schools in Arkansas and they could do better than some of what I witnessed last year. There's your great Chris Ash Big 10 defensive scheme.

I've gotta say, I'm not 100% sold on our new defensive coordinator....but man o man it seems like every time he is brought up or his philophosy....the word AGGRESSIVE is always associated....& I am honestly looking forward to that...it's something we have not seen in a long time on the defensive side of the ball. I wanna see guys react and not think so much. Sometimes "simplified" is better.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Mike_e

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 13, 2014, 11:17:57 pm
You know how I know most of hogville didn't actually read the link? We are talking about defense instead of his comments on the quarterbacks.

Yup.  He didn't sound too pumped about BA either.

I guess we'll see.

As to the D, how many DCs have we had since our current crop of redshirt seniors stepped on campus?

Honestly, considering the lack of consistency in our coaching staff over the last five years it's amazing that we've won any games at all.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike_e on March 14, 2014, 01:33:21 pm

I guess we'll see.

As to the D, how many DCs have we had since our current crop of redshirt seniors stepped on campus?

Honestly, considering the lack of consistency in our coaching staff over the last five years it's amazing that we've won any games at all.

He made it obvious that the QB spot was BA's to lose, but didn't sound like him losing it was out of the question. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 13, 2014, 11:17:57 pm

Word.. +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

three hog night

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 13, 2014, 03:49:04 pm

I think the Michigan State style defense is more complex than many know.  I have been told it was a nightmare to implement at any school, but it is great if you have the patience to work through the growing pains.   Our mistake was that we didn't have the LB's or Safeties to implement it.   Ash should have had his head examined from what I've been told.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

trashcan maN

Quote from: three hog night on March 14, 2014, 03:11:14 pm
Ash should have had his head examined from what I've been told.
Can you share what you've been told?

three hog night

Quote from: kj0N on March 14, 2014, 03:19:40 pm
Can you share what you've been told?

Players told the staff that they were having trouble understanding the defense in such a short time.  If one player was out of position it was worse impact than other defenses.  I don't know what that meant, but....I was told the talent level at safety and LB made it much worse here.  The staff was told by the players and some staff told Ash the players would have liked to simplify the Michigan State defense.   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on March 14, 2014, 01:33:21 pm

I guess we'll see.

I believe that number would be (or will be) 4 different DC's. Willy Robinson, Paul Haynes, Chris Ash and now, Robb Smith, 4 in the last 5 years. That creates instability and the re-learning of new schemes almost every year. Kind of hard to produce consistency and learned growth and sustainability when you have things changing almost every year.
Go Hogs Go!

DOGALUM

I'm interested to see how AC has developed.   Gotten bigger/faster/stronger? 

Remember the before/after pics we saw of some of the players last year?  Those created a lot of excitement here.  Cook....Small....
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

pigbacon

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pigbacon on March 14, 2014, 06:57:20 pm
"Simplify" is just coach speak.

Based on your knowledge of what? Others felt differently and it seemed to work, beating almighty Alabama in a bowl game.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-is-mike-stoops-simplifying-the-sooner-defense/article/3702281

Go Hogs Go!

I will post again, its really strange how 3 and now 4 DCs can look at the UofA defensive players, many of the exact same players,  and see a different scheme being necessary for them.  And these 3 or 4 DCs were hand picked by our HCs who many hold sacred as really football smart.

pigbacon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 14, 2014, 07:00:14 pm
Based on your knowledge of what?

Let me rephrase...it is my opinion that this term, "simplify" ,is a term commonly used in coach dialogue to the public. It basically means, in my opinion, that "I don't have an answer for the performance of the defense". I base my opinion, as stated above by others, on the notion that this isn't the first time we have heard this whether it be from CBB, a defensive coordinator, or a previous coach. Other program fan bases have probably heard the same, I would assume.

Now I am not saying that it is not accurate or an actual strategy to simplify in order to achieve more production and efficiency on the field...but to what point does one simplify a defense so much that you reach the point of diminishing returns? I can see the simplify approach be good for a large group of freshman and sophomores, and build to the complex schemes as they grasp the system and mature. So maybe this is the true approach since the program has had large turnover at the DC position in the last 4 years. Hopefully this area will see some consistency in the future.

So again, it's my firm belief and opinion that this term is commonly just coach speak. Does coach speak mean something stated is not true? Not necessarily, but it is good filler talk.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 13, 2014, 02:48:41 pm
I noticed Ringo from the jump start then Big John Matuszak....Matuszak died at 39 years old of propoxyphene intoxication, (aka, Darvocet)....if you've noticed the DEA and FDA has taken Darvocet off the market because it offered little pain relief yet stressed the heart and lungs to the max....I remember dentist would prescribe that crap instead of vicodin I guess thinking it was less addictive and therefore less dangerous...how wrong they were
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pigbacon on March 14, 2014, 07:22:04 pm
Let me rephrase...it is my opinion that this term, "simplify" ,is a term commonly used in coach dialogue to the public. It basically means, in my opinion, that "I don't have an answer for the performance of the defense". I base my opinion, as stated above by others, on the notion that this isn't the first time we have heard this whether it be from CBB, a defensive coordinator, or a previous coach. Other program fan bases have probably heard the same, I would assume.

Now I am not saying that it is not accurate or an actual strategy to simplify in order to achieve more production and efficiency on the field...but to what point does one simplify a defense so much that you reach the point of diminishing returns? I can see the simplify approach be good for a large group of freshman and sophomores, and build to the complex schemes as they grasp the system and mature. So maybe this is the true approach since the program has had large turnover at the DC position in the last 4 years. Hopefully this area will see some consistency in the future.

So again, it's my firm belief and opinion that this term is commonly just coach speak. Does coach speak mean something stated is not true? Not necessarily, but it is good filler talk.

I don't think it can be termed "coach speak". That term, at least to me, can be applied to responses to questions like, "Coach, with the problems that we have had in the Secondary, what are you going to do differently this year, than in the past, to make the Secondary more productive as a unit?" Answer: "Coach Smith and Coach Jennings are going to evaluate this group and push these kids and help them develop their skill sets and knowledge of our scheme. They are both very good and knowledgable coaches in coaching the Secondary and you can bet that they will be bringing these kids along quickly".

The term "Simplify" might seem to be coach speak and it is a broad term, but I don't see it as a "dodge" or "coach speak" because he isn't going to stand there in front of a group of reporters and lay out our defensive strategy or scheme so it can be published. I do think that is exactly what he means, they want to simplify the reads and calls, make sure everyone is on the same page (which according to what has been said in the past, we weren't) and I am sure that they hope that this will create less confusion and reduce the lost time factor involved with having to think about what to do, as opposed to knowing and reacting in a timely way. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

TXArcher

'mjust ready for some Spring ball reports. maybe a video or two.

Porkerpower

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 14, 2014, 01:45:04 pm
He made it obvious that the QB spot was BA's to lose, but didn't sound like him losing it was out of the question. 

Man, when you get curb stomped for 2 straight years, as Delta Boy says, EVERY position on the field is up for grabs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Porkerpower on March 15, 2014, 08:46:08 pm
Man, when you get curb stomped for 2 straight years, as Delta Boy says, EVERY position on the field is up for grabs.

Standard procedure. Everyone competes for and can either win or lose their job, any given spring. Had BA not been injured and had been very productive last fall, there would likely be less competition for the starting QB position this year, but that obviously wasn't the case.

There will be competition at all positions this spring to see who enters fall camp as the starters. Especially after the season that we had last year.   
Go Hogs Go!

Mike_e

Somebody check my math.

It takes 1/10th of a second to recognize something -if you're lucky- and then another 1/10th to double check.  -2/10ths

Call it another 1/10th to recall what you're supposed to do -if there is no confusion.  Add another 1/10th for each possibility you have to go through, the more complex the scheme the more options.  Let's call it three options.  So 1 + 3 = 4/10ths

Not that you've made up your mind it takes another 1/10th to get your body started.  1/10th

OK, that's 7/10ths of a second just to get started.  If you're a 4.3 guy then you can probably catch a 5.0 guy, if you're a 4.5 guy then you have no hope of catching someone of just close to your speed.

The only way to speed you up is to reduce the amount of time it takes to go through your options.

Thus simplify.  At least until you're operating on muscle memory and then you're a full 1/2 second faster.

Being that 1/2 second faster will cover a lot of ills!
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

VT HOG

The more Bielema talks I become more convinced he's just not very smart. Look at what he just posted on twitter. He really needs to shut his mouth and concentrate on football.

@BretBielema: Was hoping for a better day for first practice today of the spring. Excited to get it rolling again. Will take it one day at a time. #woopig

870hogfan

Quote from: VT HOG link=topisometime a98.msg8889892#msg8889892 date=1394985745
The more Bielema talks I become more convinced he's just not very smart. Look at what he just posted on twitter. He really needs to shut his mouth and concentrate on football.

@BretBielema: Was hoping for a better day for first practice today of the spring. Excited to get it rolling again. Will take it one day at a time. #woopig

Are you always this negative? 

hogcard1964

Quote from: VT HOG on March 16, 2014, 11:02:25 am

A good "next step" for him would be to delete his Twitter account.

three hog night

Quote from: VT HOG on March 16, 2014, 11:02:25 am

You are looking for negativity if that is what you are griping about.