#16. - Tennessee
#19. - South Carolina
#25. - Arkansas
#30. - Ole Miss
#31. - Mizzou
#47. - Kentucky
#48. - Miss State
#49. - Vandy
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

bphi11ips

Everyone slobbin on A&M.  Maybe they have finally made it. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

goodguytex

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 12, 2014, 12:01:04 pm
For now they have. Best thing that coulda happened to that program is for them to join the sec. We will see if Sumlin stays and how successful they will be in the conference over the long term.

mckinneyhog5

If Bama is 3rd I don't see how Auburn isn't 4th.  What's the difference?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

trashcan maN

TAMU:

1.) Gets a couple of highly ranked recruiting classes

2.) Wins Cotton Bowl

3.) Becomes elite football program

OLDHOG

Nah. once an aggie, always an aggie. Just sayin.

goodguytex

Quote from: OLDHOG on March 12, 2014, 12:25:34 pm
Nah. once an aggie, always an aggie. Just sayin.
Exactly. They will revert and go back to typical aggie form eventually. They can't help themselves.

LZH

While I can't stand Notre Dame (never have)......they should be higher.  Washington is too high, as is Carolina, Oregon, and Oklahoma State.  Stanford, VaTech, and Arizona State should be higher.  And fwiw, I've always thought TCU, SMU, and Houston are great jobs waiting on the right guys (not saying they haven't necessarily found them yet).

But that's, just, like my opinion man.

oxbaker

I found it interesting that Wisconsin was ranked #24, one spot ahead of Arkansas.  I guess no one asked Brett Bielema what his opinion is.

LZH

Quote from: oxbaker on March 12, 2014, 12:52:57 pm
I found it interesting that Wisconsin was ranked #24, one spot ahead of Arkansas.  I guess no one asked Brett Bielema what his opinion is.

If he hadn't had the three Rose Bowls there, I seriously doubt they would be that high.

trashcan maN

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2014, 12:51:57 pm
While I can't stand Notre Dame (never have)......they should be higher.  Washington is too high, as is Carolina, Oregon, and Oklahoma State.  Stanford, VaTech, and Arizona State should be higher.  And fwiw, I've always thought TCU, SMU, and Houston are great jobs waiting on the right guys (not saying they haven't necessarily found them yet).

Agree with most of this, but due to the pipeline between Nike and OR, it has become a top 15 football program. It's just too bad that Wal-Mart isn't cooler..lol..We could have the latest Spalding gear every year

oxbaker

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2014, 12:54:18 pm
If he hadn't had the three Rose Bowls there, I seriously doubt they would be that high.
I wonder how high that coaching position would have been had he actually WON any of the three rose bowls he participated in as a coach at Wisconsin.  Maybe in the top 10.

Arkansas Fan

Arkansas never gets any respect from these listings. Come on, South Carolina is a better job than Arkansas? Texas A&M?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: oxbaker on March 12, 2014, 01:00:04 pm
I wonder how high that coaching position would have been had he actually WON any of the three rose bowls he participated in as a coach at Wisconsin.  Maybe in the top 10.

Doubt it.

LZH

Quote from: kj0N on March 12, 2014, 12:55:48 pm
Agree with most of this, but due to the pipeline between Nike and OR, it has become a top 15 football program. It's just too bad that Wal-Mart isn't cooler..lol..We could have the latest Spalding gear every year

Jim is about at retiring age, he should should let that boring multi-national business stuff go and think about his alma mater.  Actually, I've often wondered why that hasn't happened yet.....one of the locals from the billionaire boys club measuring his "wealth" by openly throwing money at the football team.

LZH

I don't know.  Prolly about the same as Auburn's coaching position if that program hadn't had to wash Alabama's nut sack all these years.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 12, 2014, 01:01:05 pm
Arkansas never gets any respect from these listings. Come on, South Carolina is a better job than Arkansas? Texas A&M?

Location, location, location.  Look at the recruiting bases.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

superior_wang

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2014, 12:51:57 pm

you hittin the THC this morning brah?  8)

Hogwild

Quote25. Arkansas

Pros: Recently renovated Reynolds Razorback Stadium — with its 72,000 seats and upgraded LED video screen — is one of the most underrated venues in the nation. Arkansas is the only BCS program in the state, giving the school an advantage in recruiting homegrown talent.

Cons: The Hogs have found it tough to win consistently since bolting the Southwest Conference for the SEC in the early 1990s. Arkansas is 85-95-2 in the SEC and has only once had back-to-back winning seasons in the league.

Final Verdict: Arkansas is quite similar to several of the non-elite coaching positions in the SEC. It's a good job, but it's not a destination job for a coach with national title aspirations.

The part about the Razorbacks

superior_wang

25. Arkansas

Pros: Recently renovated Reynolds Razorback Stadium — with its 72,000 seats and upgraded LED video screen — is one of the most underrated venues in the nation. Arkansas is the only BCS program in the state, giving the school an advantage in recruiting homegrown talent.

Cons: The Hogs have found it tough to win consistently since bolting the Southwest Conference for the SEC in the early 1990s. Arkansas is 85-95-2 in the SEC and has only once had back-to-back winning seasons in the league.

Final Verdict: Arkansas is quite similar to several of the non-elite coaching positions in the SEC. It's a good job, but it's not a destination job for a coach with national title aspirations.

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-128-college-football-coaching-jobs-2014#sthash.DthbQ4M2.dpuf

now ya'll help me here...who was the coach when we did have those back to back winning sec  seasons? I just cant recall ......

goodguytex

Doesn't mean it won't happen again with our current coach. Let's give more than a year to see what can happen. We all might wind up being pleased. Maybe not. Just too soon to know yet.

redeye

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2014, 12:18:00 pm

The difference is that Auburn doesn't have the history. Not even close.

Quote from: oxbaker on March 12, 2014, 12:52:57 pm

The media seems to make a point of always putting Wisconsin right in front of Arkansas, ever since Bielema arrived in Fayetteville.  There's no way that Wisconsin deserves to be ahead of Arkansas, but Athlon has never liked Arkansas much.

Honestly, I don't see how Wisconsin, South Carolina, Clemson, Washington or Oklahoma State are above Arkansas.  Those schools have little that we don't have football-wise and only Washington has won a national title.

MrThunderhog

What coach doesn't have national title aspirations?
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

ifghog

Quote from: VT HOG on March 12, 2014, 03:59:18 pm
By the time Bert is done we'll have fallen down that list quite a bit. Two years ago Arkansas was probably a top 15 program.
So its CBB's fault we are 25th????Really.....come on dude. You can't truly believe that.

Wants2Win

weresoclose

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2014, 12:18:00 pm

This a joke, or trolling the Bama fans?

weresoclose

Quote from: redeye on March 12, 2014, 03:06:00 pm

Honestly, I don't see how Wisconsin, South Carolina, Clemson, Washington or Oklahoma State are above Arkansas.  Those schools have little that we don't have football-wise and only Washington has won a national title.

Really? What with keeping Nutt past the point of destruction and then firing the best coach since FB for an affair?  And all the ensuing disaster that now has us at the very bottom of the conference and an AD who publically says winning is not a priority?

Mr. Porkleone

I didn't realize we only have had 1 back to back winning season in SEC

superior_wang

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 12, 2014, 04:46:52 pm
I didn't realize we only have had 1 back to back winning season in SEC

guess i gotta answer my own question. Well my goodness, it was His Holiness Coach Bobby MF-in Petrino that coached us to our only back to back  winning SEC seasons. Good golly!

Wants2Win

Quote from: weresoclose on March 12, 2014, 04:45:08 pm
Really? What with keeping Nutt past the point of destruction and then firing the best coach since FB for an affair?  And all the ensuing disaster that now has us at the very bottom of the conference and an AD who publically says winning is not a priority?
This.

ChemEHawg

Quote from: kj0N on March 12, 2014, 12:21:21 pm
TAMU:

2.) Wins Cotton Bowl

They beat Bama at home on a big stage

Also had Heisman winning QB.

Add-in all the hype for moving conferences too.

FTR, I can't stand the love fest for the baggies either.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

tophawg19

my, my . 180,000 goes a long way toward getting high rankings it seems . wonder where we'd be if we had entered the scam newton lottery
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

870hogfan

Quote from: VT HOG on March 12, 2014, 03:59:18 pm
By the time Bert is done we'll have fallen down that list quite a bit. Two years ago Arkansas was probably a top 15 program.

Who is Bert?

Iwastherein1969

I've never seen anything like it....they have one good year and then one decent year all with a QB of the likes they'll never see again and yet the media seems to think AGGIE is the 'going place'....all I can say is, "wow"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogtimes

Oklahoma State No. 23....shows you what an effect money can have on a program

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 12, 2014, 07:53:24 pm
I've never seen anything like it....they have one good year and then one decent year all with a QB of the likes they'll never see again and yet the media seems to think AGGIE is the 'going place'....all I can say is, "wow"

IIRC, A&M's football budget is about what ours is.  I've said since it was announced that they were joining the league that A&M is a sleeping giant, a real monster.  They have the alumni and fanbase to outspend anyone else in the SEC.  If they ever figure it out, I mean get really serious about their football, the days of the old dumba$$ aggie would be over.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Stan on March 12, 2014, 08:06:26 pm
Oklahoma State No. 23....shows you what an effect money can have on a program

Shows what a good coach can do for a program.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

redeye

Quote from: Wants2Win on March 12, 2014, 05:14:24 pm
This.

What does any of that have to do with our job?  Some of the things mentioned helped us get Bielema, which despite your personal feelings, was considered a huge accomplishment by most people.

I hope you guys don't take this wrong, but I'm honestly not sure if you're Arkansas fans, trolls or what?  You act like these things don't happen other places and greatly exaggerate any negative effects they've had on our job.  It wasn't that long ago when Alabama fired it's head coach for hanging out at strip bars and he hadn't even coached a single game, yet.  For all the great things Broyles accomplished at Arkansas, I'd argue that his handling of Hatfield, and probably Holtz, was far more damaging to our job then any of the things named here.

redeye

Let me expand on your foolishness here.

I agree that we kept Nutt "past the point of destruction", but that just makes our job more desirable to other coaches, because they know we no longer have a happy trigger, as JFB had with previous coaches.  As for Petrino, Long tried to keep him, but Petrino refused to accept any admonishment for behavior that most people considered unacceptable.  College football pundits lauded Long for getting rid of Petrino.

I'm unaware of Long saying that winning isn't a priority, but I'm sure you're taking that out of context.  As for being at the bottom of the conference, so was Alabama about 15 years ago.  Every team has their ups and downs, so why do you think we're any different?  You probably love that Auburn played in the national title game last year, but conveniently forget that Auburn finished last in the SEC the year before.

This is just nonsense.

LZH

Quote from: redeye on March 12, 2014, 09:20:40 pm

I agree that we kept Nutt "past the point of destruction", but that just makes our job more desirable to other coaches, because they know we no longer have a happy trigger, as JFB had with previous coaches.  As for Petrino, Long tried to keep him, but Petrino refused to accept any admonishment for behavior that most people considered unacceptable.  College football pundits lauded Long for getting rid of Petrino.

I'm unaware of Long saying that winning isn't a priority, but I'm sure you're taking that out of context.  As for being at the bottom of the conference, so was Alabama about 15 years ago.  Every team has their ups and downs, so why do you think we're any different?  You probably love that Auburn played in the national title game last year, but conveniently forget that Auburn finished last in the SEC the year before.

This is just nonsense.

I am convinced these guys know that Petrino was not fired for his affair, he was fired for the coverup and the hiring of JD.  Of course they know this, but in no way does that keep them from baying at the moon about how one of the best football minds in the nation was run off because of a simple affair.  AFFAIR - AFFAIR - AFFAIR!

Petrino could have kept having his affair all he wanted to if he'd have just taken his medicine as far as his job was concerned.  But he wouldn't.  THAT is why he was fired.  But that isn't any fun to scream over and over and over.

Wants2Win

Quote from: redeye on March 12, 2014, 09:20:40 pm

This is just nonsense.
Long, himself, said there were no circumstances in which bobby petrino could remain hea coach.

Wants2Win

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2014, 09:37:10 pm
I am convinced these guys know that Petrino was not fired for his affair, he was fired for the coverup and the hiring of JD.  Of course they know this, but in no way does that keep them from baying at the moon about how one of the best football minds in the nation was run off because of a simple affair.  AFFAIR - AFFAIR - AFFAIR!

Petrino could have kept having his affair all he wanted to if he'd have just taken his medicine as far as his job was concerned.  But he wouldn't.  THAT is why he was fired.  But that isn't any fun to scream over and over and over.
He was fired for anything other than NCAA violations.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: kj0N on March 12, 2014, 12:21:21 pm
TAMU:

2.) Wins Cotton Bowl

4. Probation bound if the NCAA ever gets a set of balls
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

LZH

Quote from: Wants2Win on March 12, 2014, 09:45:42 pm
He was fired for anything other than NCAA violations.

There weren't any NCAA violations, what do you mean?

BOAR_N2BWILD

Arkansas is a better job than South Carolina for anyone but Spurrier.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

redeye

Quote from: Wants2Win on March 12, 2014, 09:44:44 pm
Long, himself, said there were no circumstances in which bobby petrino could remain hea coach.

This weeks Kohl's ad says they're having their best sale ever.  Funny thing is that they say that every week.

According to some members of the media, Long offered to let Petrino stay, but he refused to accept the conditions.

LZH

Quote from: redeye on March 12, 2014, 10:40:27 pm
This weeks Kohl's ad says they're having their best sale ever.  Funny thing is that they say that every week.

According to some members of the media, Long offered to let Petrino stay, but he refused to accept the conditions.

I'm sure he knows that........but doesn't wanna acknowledge it.

redeye

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 12, 2014, 10:45:05 pm
I'm sure he knows that........but doesn't wanna acknowledge it.

Does it even matter in the context of the discussion?

Not sure we're dealing with Arkansas fans here.