Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bentonville NLR Write up

Started by songofthesword, March 10, 2014, 04:36:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsmellgud

Was there. He's a freak. Need to work on ball handling and Defense.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

pillowhog

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on March 11, 2014, 08:35:21 am
Was there. He's a freak. Need to work on ball handling and Defense.
Yep=less AAU ball

Rocket23

Folks Sword gave his "opinion" on the game and the players.  It was just that.  He didnt get personal, slander a kid, or talk bad about the kid. 

The game report was pretty spot-on.  We have to remember that Monk, Allen, and the Dixon kid are all sophomores.  Think how good they will be in two years when they are in their senior seasons like Beard.

Lets not rake a fellow poster over the coals because of his opinion.  That is why we come here, to discuss. 

Monk is a great player that has potential to be phenomenal.  It was my first time to see him yesterday and he is just oozing with talent.  Have seen the NLR team several times as fan and official.  Love Beard's leadership and attitude not to mention his talent.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 11, 2014, 08:41:56 am
Folks Sword gave his "opinion" on the game and the players.  It was just that.  He didnt get personal, slander a kid, or talk bad about the kid. 

The game report was pretty spot-on.  We have to remember that Monk, Allen, and the Dixon kid are all sophomores.  Think how good they will be in two years when they are in their senior seasons like Beard.

Lets not rake a fellow poster over the coals because of his opinion.  That is why we come here, to discuss. 

Monk is a great player that has potential to be phenomenal.  It was my first time to see him yesterday and he is just oozing with talent.  Have seen the NLR team several times as fan and official.  Love Beard's leadership and attitude not to mention his talent.

Allen is a Jr is he not?

Idk who Dixon is.

VT HOG

Well Malik had two of the best athletes in the state double teaming him and he still scored 31 points. The original poster is high.

PonderinHog

Quote from: VT HOG on March 11, 2014, 09:06:39 am
Well Malik had two of the best athletes in the state double teaming him and he still scored 31 points. The original poster is high.
That stat might be misleading.  Good info on all the players.  Hope they're all Hogs. :razorback:

Hawg Red

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 11, 2014, 08:51:49 am
Allen is a Jr is he not?

Idk who Dixon is.

KeVaughn Allen is, indeed, a junior.

And I also have no idea who "Dixon" is.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 11, 2014, 09:34:51 am
KeVaughn Allen is, indeed, a junior.

And I also have no idea who "Dixon" is.

PG for Bentonville.

Hawg Red

ricepig

ballinhog

Well hopefully in a few years we will have a 3 guard lineup of Beard, Allen, and Monk and we won't care who's better of the 3. Our only hope will be that them 3 together are better than anybody else in college basketball and we win a national championship.

Imo, 2017 is the year we become serious national championship contenders. Assuming we keep all this in-state talent. And especially if somehow Portis is still around for his SR year that season. Then if we get the big kid from Colorado that's a sophomore and seems high on us, we might as well just say screw it and go undefeated in 2016-17

Cotton

Tyrik Dixon had 18 pts
Monk 30.

Beard and Allen both had 28 a piece.

According to official final stats.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Porkatarian

Quote from: ballinhog on March 11, 2014, 09:54:58 am
Well hopefully in a few years we will have a 3 guard lineup of Beard, Allen, and Monk and we won't care who's better of the 3. Our only hope will be that them 3 together are better than anybody else in college basketball

I'd bet the house that we get 2/3.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Cotton

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 11, 2014, 11:42:24 am
I'd bet the house that we get 2/3.

Porkatarian out...
Im with you, I'd put the mortgage on 2/3.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Porkatarian

Quote from: Cotton on March 11, 2014, 11:46:06 am
Im with you, I'd put the mortgage on 2/3.

I'm very happy with the 2 that we'll most likely land.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Hawg Red

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 11, 2014, 11:47:13 am
I'm very happy with the 2 that we'll most likely land.

Porkatarian out...

Happy with Beard (already signed) and Monk, eh?

Hog_Fink

i only went to the Fayetteville vs Bentonville game
Peyton Willis (soph) outplayed Monk & Dixon
although Monk was in foul trouble & i guess had an off night shooting.
he could have gotten to the stripe anytime he wanted. his stroke looks pure.
he's a ridiculous athlete already w/ more growing to do i'd imagine.
he looks SO young. he needs to put on some weight, but he'll fill out.

and he needs to move out of Northwest Arkansas.. the talent pool looked pathetic.
like someone else said, 'he's not gonna get better playing against these trust fund babies"

Rocket23

true about double-teamed but put 15 in the column once the game was over more or less in the fourth quarter.

Rocket23

Tyrick Dixon is Bentonville's point guard.  A nice sophomore player in his own right.

My bad on Allen. Class of 2015.

pillowhog

Quote from: galactivation on March 11, 2014, 01:00:17 pm
i only went to the Fayetteville vs Bentonville game
Peyton Willis (soph) outplayed Monk & Dixon
although Monk was in foul trouble & i guess had an off night shooting.
he could have gotten to the stripe anytime he wanted. his stroke looks pure.
he's a ridiculous athlete already w/ more growing to do i'd imagine.
he looks SO young. he needs to put on some weight, but he'll fill out.

and he needs to move out of Northwest Arkansas.. the talent pool looked pathetic.
like someone else said, 'he's not gonna get better playing against these trust fund babies"
Where should he move?  7A is the best comp he will see in Arkansas

yraciv

Quote from: pillowhog on March 11, 2014, 01:36:53 pm

Exactly! This is high school basketball. I don't know about Peyton Willis specificially, but often times that means the player has grown up in the city playing with his teammates and his family is settled in the area. Your going to uproot a family so they can move to a better basketball state. Yes Prep School is occasionally an option for elite recruits or for parents that can afford it, but thats not always a viable option for a young guy.  If Peyton is a D1 prospect, he can get there and get noticed playing AAU Ball and putting up numbers in the top classification in state. Hell guys have done it out of Fayetteville Christian as well through the years.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 11, 2014, 01:28:36 pm
true about double-teamed but put 15 in the column once the game was over more or less in the fourth quarter.

They were still guarding him with the same 2 until the clock ran out, so no matter when he put them up they were double and triple teaming him.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

pondwater jack

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2014, 09:21:14 pm
So, Malik scored ONLY 31 for BENTONVILLE against NORTH LITTLE ROCK???!!!

No wonder OP wasn't impressed.

Am I mistaken, or is Malik not the NO 1 SG in the nation in his class? Someone must be way off base.
makes me wonder if hed scored 31 on the orignal dream team if the OP would have said "they didnt have kobe"

Sophmore score 31 agin 3 division athletes...not to impressed...
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

The_Iceman

Are there no video highlights of the game anywhere?

Hog_Fink

Quote from: yraciv on March 11, 2014, 03:22:21 pm
Exactly! This is high school basketball. I don't know about Peyton Willis specificially, but often times that means the player has grown up in the city playing with his teammates and his family is settled in the area. Your going to uproot a family so they can move to a better basketball state. Yes Prep School is occasionally an option for elite recruits or for parents that can afford it, but thats not always a viable option for a young guy.  If Peyton is a D1 prospect, he can get there and get noticed playing AAU Ball and putting up numbers in the top classification in state. Hell guys have done it out of Fayetteville Christian as well through the years.

wat.....

no. Monk needs to move out of NWA. Talent looks WAY down. Not challenging. Needs to play with better players & better competition. I'd ship him off to prep school. But, maybe being in NWA he'll be able to work with Marcus & Ronnie, now that Ronnie is jobless.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 10, 2014, 10:01:59 pm
Monk was the best player on the court and it wasn't close.

Beard and Allen are really good players and I hope both are hogs but they aren't on the same level with monk. Arkansas hasn't had a player as dominant as monk since Corliss.

Beard is an Arkansas lock.

yraciv

Quote from: galactivation on March 11, 2014, 09:46:22 pm
wat.....

no. Monk needs to move out of NWA. Talent looks WAY down. Not challenging. Needs to play with better players & better competition. I'd ship him off to prep school. But, maybe being in NWA he'll be able to work with Marcus & Ronnie, now that Ronnie is jobless.

There is a professional NBA player from Junction City. High School competition doesn't mean darn because these guys see plenty of it testing thereselves in AAU ball.  My comment was based on Peyton Willis, a kid someone isn't getting tested at Fayetteville and should transfer out if he wants to take his game to the next level. Camps and AAU ball impact that, most kids can't help where they grow up and play high school ball. Monk is a different case as an elite prospect, whose family was willing to pack their life up. People act like that is always the answer to grow a prospects career, and more often then not it isn't.

ricepig

Quote from: pillowhog on March 11, 2014, 01:36:53 pm

Uh, no, play NLR, Jonesboro, PV, or Hall every week, that's the best competition.

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2014, 06:06:32 am
Uh, no, play NLR, Jonesboro, PV, or Hall every week, that's the best competition.
Exactly. Never understood why he left NEA

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

RazorAg

Quote from: Cotton on March 12, 2014, 06:29:51 am
Exactly. Never understood why he left NEA

Simple. To be close to the biggest influence on his basketball career, his brother.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2014, 06:06:32 am

NLR is 7A, He'll get all the competition he needs during AAU ball and summer camps. Can't fault the kid for going to the biggest and possibly best HS in the state.

urkillnmesmalls

The report reminds me a lot of watching Pippen play at UCA.  People would show up expecting him to just light it up and be unstoppable, but EVERY team they played doubled and tripled him and forced everyone else to beat them.  Scotty would still have moments of greatness with a few dunks in transition, and could shoot over even double teams at time, but in the half court he garnered ALL of the defensive attention.  You could still obviously see he was the best player on the court.

What's bugging me about all this talk about Monk is that he's a SOPHOMORE.  I watched him play twice this year, and athletically...he's as good as any from the state of Arkansas I've ever seen.  Can he sharpen his skills?  Absolutely.  He's got two years to do it, and I hope he gets the coaching and mentoring necessary.
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 12, 2014, 07:56:26 am
The report reminds me a lot of watching Pippen play at UCA.  People would show up expecting him to just light it up and be unstoppable, but EVERY team they played doubled and tripled him and forced everyone else to beat them.  Scotty would still have moments of greatness with a few dunks in transition, and could shoot over even double teams at time, but in the half court he garnered ALL of the defensive attention.  You could still obviously see he was the best player on the court.

What's bugging me about all this talk about Monk is that he's a SOPHOMORE.  I watched him play twice this year, and athletically...he's as good as any from the state of Arkansas I've ever seen.  Can he sharpen his skills?  Absolutely.  He's got two years to do it, and I hope he gets the coaching and mentoring necessary.

Me thinks people are just butt hurt.

Scott7703

Quote from: Cotton on March 11, 2014, 06:01:17 am

Monk is the best player in the state, and the best player this state has seen since Archie Goodwin.

Monk is a better player than Archie Goodwin right now.

Hoggish1

Is Beard a Releford type? (That's who I think of off your description...)

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 12, 2014, 08:48:25 am
Is Beard a Releford type? (That's who I think of off your description...)

From what I've seen, I think he could be like Fred VanFleet.

But, yes, I think Releford could also be a good comparison.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorAg on March 12, 2014, 07:17:51 am
Simple. To be close to the biggest influence on his basketball career, his brother.

You mean to influence his brother's career.

pillowhog

Some in this thread are so clueless talking about Monk needing to move.  Dumbest crap Ive read in a while on here.  Ronnie Brewer played in that conference as did Corliss Williamson.  I think they did ok. 

ricepig

Quote from: pillowhog on March 12, 2014, 09:49:54 am
Some in this thread are so clueless talking about Monk needing to move.  Dumbest crap Ive read in a while on here.  Ronnie Brewer played in that conference as did Corliss Williamson.  I think they did ok. 

True, he didn't need to move at all, he'd have gotten plenty of attention in Lepanto.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2014, 09:53:56 am
True, he didn't need to move at all, he'd have gotten plenty of attention in Lepanto.

Didn't they give his mother a nice job up in NWA?

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 12, 2014, 10:03:41 am
Didn't they give his mother a nice job up in NWA?

I'm not sure it was a nice job, and she has applied for a job back in Lepanto, according to "sources", haha.

RazorAg

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2014, 09:43:50 am
You mean to influence his brother's career.

Not sure of tone/context here, so I'll just provide more clarification (of which I think you know already).  Marcus works with Malik constantly.  Marcus, also being on staff with the UofA, has access to a lot of tools and resources to help further develop Malik.  Marcus is also a part of the Wings organization, and since Malik plays with that organization, them being close provides efficiencies with travel and workouts.  Marcus is also the main male role model in Malik's life right now.

The_Iceman

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: redeye on March 10, 2014, 06:02:46 pm
Thanks!  As I said, I've only seen a little video, so it's nice hearing from someone who's seen them both play.

I didn't think he was harsh at all.  Never seen a basketball player who didn't deserve some criticism, except maybe MJ.  And as you noted, Monk is only a sophomore, so he'll probably get better.  Calling a sophomore the second best player in the state isn't being tough, imo.

Btw, this reminds me of the time I saw Derek Hood play in a high school game.  Hood was already a McDonald's All-American and considered the 7th best player in the nation by some magazine I purchased.  I watched him play at UALR's gym against a couple of other touted players, including an Arkansas player who went on to have a very successful career at Ole Miss (I can't remember his name, but I'm sure someone will know who I'm talking about.)  Hood didn't look anything like a McDonald's AA and I knew right then that he was overrated, but I was very impressed with the kid who went to Ole Miss, and disappointed because I don't think we'd even recruited him.

Not sure about the ole miss player you are talking about. But does anyone remember Joe Harvell from Gosnell. He led them to their only state championship in 1989 and then played for Ole Miss from 90-93. He was a freshman all american and led the SEC with 25 points per game his junior year. He would have been a good one at Arkansas. He ended up passing on the draft to come back for his senior season. They got a new coach and a slower paced offense and his production went down. One of the great players to come out of arkansas.

Rocket23

Was it Keith Carter from Perryville.