Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren forward loves the Hogs

Started by The Recruiting Guy, March 10, 2014, 12:23:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

Glad this kid is getting some recognition. He's good and is only going to get better. Will be the best prospect to ever come out of Van Buren in any sport, IMO.

Hawg Red

Really intrigued by this kid. Will be interesting how he performs on the AAU circuit. Being there first should bode well for the Hogs.

PorkRinds

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 10, 2014, 12:52:46 pm
Glad this kid is getting some recognition. He's good and is only going to get better. Will be the best prospect to ever come out of Van Buren in any sport, IMO.

Matt Jones was from VB, he just went to NHS for his senior season...

RazorPiggie

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2014, 01:05:12 pm
Matt Jones was from VB, he just went to NHS for his senior season...

I'm aware. Didn't graduate from VB though. He'll be a better basketball prospect than Matt.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 10, 2014, 01:13:30 pm
I'm aware. Didn't graduate from VB though. He'll be a better basketball prospect than Matt.
Well, you did say "from VB" and "any sport."

The_Iceman

Tyler Spoon is pretty good.

The_Iceman

Tripod1

Kid has a lot of upside for sure and will only get stronger the next 2 years. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 10, 2014, 02:12:24 pm
Tyler Spoon is pretty good.

I'm aware but Mitchell will be better than Tyler and Tyler is a personal friend.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 10, 2014, 02:10:33 pm

I said to come out of VB, implying that they graduated from VB.

Coachjy

I have known this kid and been around him since he was 7. He lost his mom to illness a few years ago. His father is a class act and so is Mitchell. Very high character kid and would love to see him be a hog some day.

yraciv

Tyler Spoon is pretty salty. Until I see Mitchell put on some serious weight and play with it, I'm not convinced he'll be more than a Midmajor.  And I find it funny the "I like to play fast" comment. Unless there has been a change in philosophy, that is a far stretch from the stall tactics I've seen from the Pointers in the past.

yraciv

Quote from: Coachjy on March 10, 2014, 09:29:51 pm
I have known this kid and been around him since he was 7. He lost his mom to illness a few years ago. His father is a class act and so is Mitchell. Very high character kid and would love to see him be a hog some day.

How did he end up in Van Buren?

Tripod1

Quote from: yraciv on March 10, 2014, 11:31:57 pm
Tyler Spoon is pretty salty. Until I see Mitchell put on some serious weight and play with it, I'm not convinced he'll be more than a Midmajor.  And I find it funny the "I like to play fast" comment. Unless there has been a change in philosophy, that is a far stretch from the stall tactics I've seen from the Pointers in the past.
No doubt coach Loyds philosophy is to play under control and be close at the end which gives a team a chance to win.  They also take the break when it is there and Smith loves to run the floor, thus his comment.  I wouldn't necessarily say they play a stall though.  Smith does need weight and strength. Not SEC talent YET.

Kevin

The question is will he work in the weight room. And work on his skill set or just travel around playing bunch of aau games. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Brass Knob

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 06:27:34 am
The question is will he work in the weight room. And work on his skill set or just travel around playing bunch of aau games. 

AAU ball is great for a kids exposure but terrible for their development.

Tripod1

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 06:27:34 am
I sure hope he works hard in the weight room.  Also he has very good skill set.  Runs the flor well, dribbles very well for a 6'9 kid, passes well,  very good hands, and good range on his shot.  I figure at the next level he will face the basket instead of back to the basket.  He does have a great jump hook.  Strength is his one negative.  And I agree about AAU ball.  If he were my kid I'd hire a personal trainer and work his butt off ALONE all summer in the gym.

RazorAg

You guys and your hate for AAU...

You don't want him playing for Wes Swift, one of the best coaches in the state, playing against the best competition in the nation, which includes going up against kids the same size as him very game?

Playing AAU doesn't stop a kid from being in the weight room and doing skill work all thru summer. In fact, that's expected.

Kevin

Quote from: RazorAg on March 11, 2014, 06:57:38 am
You guys and your hate for AAU...

You don't want him playing for Wes Swift, one of the best coaches in the state, playing against the best competition in the nation, which includes going up against kids the same size as him very game?

Playing AAU doesn't stop a kid from being in the weight room and doing skill work all thru summer. In fact, that's expected.

a kid like that does not need exposure. People know who he is and where to find him.

most kids don't work on their game, they just run from tournament every weekend playing mostly meaningless games.

aau games, like anything else should be done in moderation, like most things it is not.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

mbgrulz

I think he is further along than Portis was as a sophomore.

He is highly skilled and based on some of the dunks I've seen from him, he is a good athlete for 6'9".

He can score back to the basket, or facing up.

You are a fool if you sleep on him!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 07:20:15 am
a kid like that does not need exposure. People know who he is and where to find him.

most kids don't work on their game, they just run from tournament every weekend playing mostly meaningless games.

aau games, like anything else should be done in moderation, like most things it is not.

I somewhat agree, but its just not reality for kids today.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: yraciv on March 10, 2014, 11:31:57 pm

Remember Spoon had to redshirt a year. Brandon Moore was higher rated than Spoon coming out of HS.

And you obviously didn't watch Van Buren this year. Lloyd does a good job with what he has. I remember when my brother was a Sr at VB and the shortest guy on the court most of the time was the PG at 5'11". Had guys 6'10" 6'9" 6'5" 6'3" as the other starters. That team played slow because they had to. This year they played pretty fast because of the small guards and Mitchel can run the floor very well.

Like him or not Lloyd is a dang good coach and usually has a pretty decent team, now they may not get to state every year but they compete in every game and I don't remember VB ever having a terrible year. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 11, 2014, 06:45:59 am
I sure hope he works hard in the weight room.  Also he has very good skill set.  Runs the flor well, dribbles very well for a 6'9 kid, passes well,  very good hands, and good range on his shot.  I figure at the next level he will face the basket instead of back to the basket.  He does have a great jump hook.  Strength is his one negative.  And I agree about AAU ball.  If he were my kid I'd hire a personal trainer and work his butt off ALONE all summer in the gym.

I'd definitely do this. With his dad playing D1 soccer I'm betting he knows that his son needs to put on some weight. I just hope he stays in VB the next 2 years.

Kevin

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 11, 2014, 07:56:12 am
I think he is further along than Portis was as a sophomore.

He is highly skilled and based on some of the dunks I've seen from him, he is a good athlete for 6'9".

He can score back to the basket, or facing up.

You are a fool if you sleep on him!

when you say highly skilled- i picture doug mcdermott

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 08:37:59 am

Nobody knew who Doug McDermott was when he was a HS So.

Comparing a HS So. to a Jr. in college when it comes to skill set isn't really fair.

Kevin

Yes, they did. the kid has been a stud for a long time.
i have seen that kind of skill set in hs sophomores.

my question, is he highly skilled or has great potential

Grizzlyfan

Brandon Moore has been drafted by a sports league.  Spoon still needs to finish college and Mitchell finish high school before they reach that level.

Also, if Smith wanted to move over to the Fort and play fast with the Grizzlies I'm sure no one would complain.

Fatmanhog

I dont know how many of you have had 15-16 yr old kids but putting weight on them is a little hard to do if their body doesnt want it. I have been trying to put weight on my son for a couple of years. He is a sophmore and also been playing AAU for the past for years. The highest I have got him up to is 140 lbs. He is all muscle but he just cant gain weight. Give this Van Buren kid till he is a senior before we talk about him gaining weight. If he is atheletic now he will be then as well.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 10:33:07 am

So much of a heard about "stud" he was only offered by mid-majors?

Hawg Red

Quote from: fatmanhog on March 11, 2014, 11:35:16 am
I dont know how many of you have had 15-16 yr old kids but putting weight on them is a little hard to do if their body doesnt want it. I have been trying to put weight on my son for a couple of years. He is a sophmore and also been playing AAU for the past for years. The highest I have got him up to is 140 lbs. He is all muscle but he just cant gain weight. Give this Van Buren kid till he is a senior before we talk about him gaining weight. If he is atheletic now he will be then as well.

That's a good point.

Remember Marvell Waithe. Look at Rashad Madden. These are players that just can't gain weight. If this kid has a nice handle, it shouldn't be too big of deal as he could play the 3. He'll naturally gain some weight but he may never be able to fill out like you'd want a 6'9+ player to. We'll just have to see.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 11, 2014, 11:44:45 am

Dude is a soph and hasn't played any AAU ball that I know about. He'll have offers rolling in before the summer is over.

Kevin

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 11, 2014, 12:33:04 pm
Dude is a soph and hasn't played any AAU ball that I know about. He'll have offers rolling in before the summer is over.

he was talking about mcdermott.

and how many major programs would take him now. plus, he played on a high powered aau team, so i guess all that exposure did not help him.

CDBHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 11, 2014, 12:33:04 pm

I wasn't talking about the dude you're talking about.

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 08:37:59 am

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 11, 2014, 09:56:39 am
Nobody knew who Doug McDermott was when he was a HS So.

Comparing a HS So. to a Sr. in college when it comes to skill set isn't really fair.

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 10:33:07 am

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 11, 2014, 11:44:45 am

RazorPiggie

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 11, 2014, 12:39:22 pm
I wasn't talking about the dude you're talking about.

My apologies. Carry on.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 12:38:33 pm
he was talking about mcdermott.

and how many major programs would take him now. plus, he played on a high powered aau team, so i guess all that exposure did not help him.

Point being, some pan out, some don't.

Not playing AAU isn't going to automatically help you.

Kevin

some thing aau is the only way to go.

i like to see a kid like that, hire a personal basketball coach, and spent his time, improving his game. plenty of time to get exposure, especially 6-9 athlete

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Kevin on March 11, 2014, 12:48:59 pm
some thing aau is the only way to go.

i like to see a kid like that, hire a personal basketball coach, and spent his time, improving his game. plenty of time to get exposure, especially 6-9 athlete

I do agree. At least he is aware that he needs to put on weight if he's going to play down low, I just hope he can.

Hog Nutt

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 10, 2014, 02:10:33 pm

And he did also say "IMO". It's his opinion.

RazorAg

Exposure is not the only main value kids get from playing AAU.  Almost or equal in importance is the natural development they get from playing significantly better competition.  This is extremely important for Arkansas kids, especially big kids due to there not being a lot of size in-state.

Also, again, kids can do skill work during the week.  It's not AAU's fault if they don't choose to as you mentioned.  The kids that become the best work at their game during the weekdays and go play games on the weekends.  And, playing for Wes Swift on the weekends is a very good thing, not a bad one.

It's not as extreme as you make it.

Hawg Red

The problem with AAU ball is the sometimes seedy/shady lot that can attach themselves to these players. There are good AAU teams/coaches and bad AAU teams/coaches, just like with HS/college/pro ball. It's the handlers and unsavory types that can sometimes be attached to AAU ball that are the problem, IMO.

Porkatarian

Quote from: RazorAg on March 11, 2014, 01:46:42 pm
Exposure is not the only main value kids get from playing AAU.  Almost or equal in importance is the natural development they get from playing significantly better competition.  This is extremely important for Arkansas kids, especially big kids due to there not being a lot of size in-state.

Also, again, kids can do skill work during the week.  It's not AAU's fault if they don't choose to as you mentioned.  The kids that become the best work at their game during the weekdays and go play games on the weekends.  And, playing for Wes Swift on the weekends is a very good thing, not a bad one.

It's not as extreme as you make it.

Wes Swift is the best high school coach in the state, IMHO.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

yraciv

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 11, 2014, 04:46:15 am
No doubt coach Loyds philosophy is to play under control and be close at the end which gives a team a chance to win.  They also take the break when it is there and Smith loves to run the floor, thus his comment.  I wouldn't necessarily say they play a stall though.  Smith does need weight and strength. Not SEC talent YET.

Lloyd is a good coach. It's safe to say Van Buren hasn't had the talent to match up with other teams for most of his career, so he has run a slower paced offense.  I don't have any problem with this seeing as it gives the Pointers the best chance to win, but I've seen a lot of boring VB games through the years.

yraciv

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 11, 2014, 08:21:41 am
Remember Spoon had to redshirt a year. Brandon Moore was higher rated than Spoon coming out of HS.

And you obviously didn't watch Van Buren this year. Lloyd does a good job with what he has. I remember when my brother was a Sr at VB and the shortest guy on the court most of the time was the PG at 5'11". Had guys 6'10" 6'9" 6'5" 6'3" as the other starters. That team played slow because they had to. This year they played pretty fast because of the small guards and Mitchel can run the floor very well.

Like him or not Lloyd is a dang good coach and usually has a pretty decent team, now they may not get to state every year but they compete in every game and I don't remember VB ever having a terrible year. 

See above post. I'm not arguing on Lloyd being a good coach, and yes I've moved far away and haven't seen them this year. He has had a bunch of slow white guys the majority of his career, so running has never really been an option. Just found it humorous because Mike Anderson's style is the polar opposite from what Van Buren usually runs.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: yraciv on March 11, 2014, 03:09:11 pm
See above post. I'm not arguing on Lloyd being a good coach, and yes I've moved far away and haven't seen them this year. He has had a bunch of slow white guys the majority of his career, so running has never really been an option. Just found it humorous because Mike Anderson's style is the polar opposite from what Van Buren usually runs.

Usually they do have slow white boys but the past couple of years its been differently and will likely stay up tempo until Smith graduates.

mbgrulz

RazorAg is correct, playing actual games (which is what we need players to be good at) against good competition is as good as anything for an athletes development.

In fact, if I could tell parents one thing to help their kid in terms of becoming a better player, I would tell them to get their kid playing games in the spring and summer. They need games, games, games. Skill work is great, but I've seen a lot of workout warriors who were terrible players.

Instead of a private coach, I would have him work with someone who is a professional coach and is actually qualified to teach the game. Coach Lloyd and Swift are as good as anybody in the country. 

HawgnCorona

Clueless... ::)

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 11, 2014, 05:30:51 pm
RazorAg is correct, playing actual games (which is what we need players to be good at) against good competition is as good as anything for an athletes development.

In fact, if I could tell parents one thing to help their kid in terms of becoming a better player, I would tell them to get their kid playing games in the spring and summer. They need games, games, games. Skill work is great, but I've seen a lot of workout warriors who were terrible players.

Instead of a private coach, I would have him work with someone who is a professional coach and is actually qualified to teach the game. Coach Lloyd and Swift are as good as anybody in the country. 

I agree, kids need the exposure and it is not certain those would be interested in your skills will be aware of you...And being a student of the game can only make you a better player on the court.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8