Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Seven Rules for Running and a Few for the Little Rock Marathon

Started by Robert Shields, March 10, 2014, 10:12:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Seven Rules for Running Plus a Few for the Little Rock Marathon

Robert Shields

Bret Bielema gets a pass from me this week.

After Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and others including me piled on Bielema for dragging a deceased football player into his slowing-down-the-offense debate, Bielema lost his campaign this past week when the measure was not accepted (I'm actually with Bielema on this rule).

So, I take on another favorite topic of mine -- running. After the Little Rock Marathon, I heard several complaints about the staggered start times, and I heard some people started as late as 50 minutes after the initial gun.

This is a long time to wait in the elements, which were not very hospitable that day. It's a world of difference running in the elements as opposed to just standing in them. In the past, the stagger between corrals was a matter of moments as they opened them up. I know it causes congestion at the start of the race, but it is a race after all not a time trial.

The advent of the chip timer has allowed people to clock their own time from the actual start to the finish and track to make sure you hit all the catch pads and nobody shortcuts a race. Still, the official time is gun time and it matters in a race. It's the time officially posted in the past. So don't hold people for 50 minutes.

I also know it's just the sign of the times with the race being interrupted and terminated while in progress after lightning occurred because of fear of litigation. I have railed that it's getting ridiculous with football games also being delayed or canceled because of rain or lightning. It's a dangerous universe and its propensity to kill us is unlimited. So is the propensity for legal action, I guess.

The St. Jude Marathon in Memphis this year was canceled because of weather. I know nothing is going to change, but don't cancel races. Runners know the risks.

People train for months for these marathons and take a big chunk out of their lives and time away from their family to do so. Most people train in really rotten weather anyway, especially for the Little Rock date in March because you have to train through the winter months. The weather is really the least of the dangers of the sport as cars and traffic are a much greater concern. 

All runners have had to run in rain, wind, cold, and lightning. It's just one of the dangers of the sport. The Little Rock Marathon makes the waiver clear to all participants that the sport is dangerous, but they need to also make clear that the race will not stop and therefore injury and death is likelihood.

Now while we are talking about safety, and with Daylight Saving Time upon us, many will take to the awesome running trails Arkansas residents are lucky to have, especially those in Little Rock and North Little Rock. I will be one of them. So here are the rules of the road.

1) Most parking lots have a sidewalk or at least an area like a sidewalk. Use that to get to the trail instead of walking right down the middle of the parking lot with your family.

2) It's fine to walk side by side down the trail and it makes it easier to talk, but realize it takes up more width of the trail so be aware if bikes or other runners are coming up on you. And then move out of the way.

3) If you're passing, let the other party know and pass on the left, and let them know that is the way that you are passing. But don't yell it out arrogantly like you own the trail because you are on a bike. Let's get one thing straight – any runner can get on a bike and ride 20 miles, but most bikers cannot get off their bike and run 5 miles. So show some respect, please. And don't expect a kid on training wheels to know what you are saying.

4) Dogs are great, but pick up after them. Most trailheads have bags that you can use. What happens if you don't pick up after your pet? Bikes run through the poo and spread it everywhere making it a huge mess for everyone.

5) Again for the bike riders, when coming off the trail bridges, slow down! I know it's fun going fast as I ride also, but with nicer days more families and people will be on the trails. So go slow and stay in single file as all the signs posted everywhere instruct.

6) If you're wearing headphones, you still need to be paying attention to your surroundings and not just be in your own little world listening to the cheers from your Nike app. This also is intended for me as I am often guilty of tuning everything else out while listening to a dramatic reading of the UA athletic department's annual report.

7) If you're in Central Arkansas, you have a great asset in the River Trail system. Take advantage of it. If you have ever considered running, there is no better time than the present. If you've seen an episode of the "Biggest Loser," then you know the first thing they get them doing is running. Go for it, and we will all be cheering you on.

Next week back to the Razorbacks and hopefully talking about the basketball team's seeding in the NCAA tournament.

Send your tips for the River Trail or your favorite trail to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pulled(PP)pork

Oh boy, I have something (running) in common with Sir Robert Shields!!!

PP

superior_wang

the river trail system is pretty dang awesome, gotta tip your cap to LR or whomever is responsible for that. watch out for the friggin snakes though!

Rey Pygsterio

Rule #8: If you are a runner and the bikers buzz by you so close that you can feel the wind coming off the handlebars, it is OK to do that to them on the road as you are leaving in your car.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

LZH

superior_wang

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 10, 2014, 10:49:44 am
.........and all the liberals............

we have liberals in arkansas now? dang that must be new... all them folks in the heights i reckon...

LZH

Quote from: superior_wang on March 10, 2014, 10:51:00 am
we have liberals in arkansas now? dang that must be new... all them folks in the heights i reckon...

Yepper.  Anytime I see a jogger with a digital watch and spandex britches, I know he ain't no local.     :)

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 10, 2014, 11:00:59 am
Yepper.  Anytime I see a jogger with a digital watch and spandex britches, I know he ain't no local.     :)

Runners don't wear spandex britches. Those are bicycle riders.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

LZH

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on March 10, 2014, 11:34:46 am

Mea culpa.  As you might gather, I do neither.

MissippHog

Sed76

superior_wang

Quote from: Sed76 on March 10, 2014, 01:05:48 pm
And what does this garbage have to do with Razorback football?

omg yes..the season is only 5 months away!.. hows that 10th grade fullback  out in plainview texas, i heard he had a razorback sticker on his history notebook??  :puke:

qbrew

Quote from: Robert Shields on March 10, 2014, 10:12:52 am
Seven Rules for Running Plus a Few for the Little Rock Marathon

Robert Shields

Bret Bielema gets a pass from me this week.

After Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and others including me piled on Bielema for dragging a deceased football player into his slowing-down-the-offense debate, Bielema lost his campaign this past week when the measure was not accepted (I'm actually with Bielema on this rule).

So, I take on another favorite topic of mine -- running. After the Little Rock Marathon, I heard several complaints about the staggered start times, and I heard some people started as late as 50 minutes after the initial gun.

This is a long time to wait in the elements, which were not very hospitable that day. It's a world of difference running in the elements as opposed to just standing in them. In the past, the stagger between corrals was a matter of moments as they opened them up. I know it causes congestion at the start of the race, but it is a race after all not a time trial.

The advent of the chip timer has allowed people to clock their own time from the actual start to the finish and track to make sure you hit all the catch pads and nobody shortcuts a race. Still, the official time is gun time and it matters in a race. It's the time officially posted in the past. So don't hold people for 50 minutes.

I also know it's just the sign of the times with the race being interrupted and terminated while in progress after lightning occurred because of fear of litigation. I have railed that it's getting ridiculous with football games also being delayed or canceled because of rain or lightning. It's a dangerous universe and its propensity to kill us is unlimited. So is the propensity for legal action, I guess.

The St. Jude Marathon in Memphis this year was canceled because of weather. I know nothing is going to change, but don't cancel races. Runners know the risks.
And what about the Hundreds of Volunteers some of which are children that work the race? What about the casual racers that don't want to get hit by lightening just because they had practiced. I mean really, why even stop traffic. Runners know the risks, right?

Good Grief man, use your head.

qbrew

Quote from: superior_wang on March 10, 2014, 01:10:34 pm

omg yes..the season is only 5 months away!.. hows that 10th grade fullback  out in plainview texas, i heard he had a razorback sticker on his history notebook??  :puke:
He posted this in the Razorback Discussion forum. Except for the first sentence, this simply doesn't belong here. Not rocket surgery.

superior_wang

Quote from: qbrew on March 10, 2014, 01:32:10 pm
He posted this in the Razorback Discussion forum. Except for the first sentence, this simply doesn't belong here. Not rocket surgery.
[/quote

a) there is nothing to talk about football wise that we havent rehashed 37 times and
b) no one reads the other forums.
c) chill out.

Sed76

Quote from: qbrew on March 10, 2014, 01:32:10 pm

Exactly, someone just wanted to add their little "cute" response. All that is missing now is for that Delta Boy guy to chime in with what a great column Shields posted this week.

Wahls

Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Sed76 on March 10, 2014, 01:39:13 pm
Exactly, someone just wanted to add their little "cute" response. All that is missing now is for that Delta Boy guy to chime in with what a great column Shields posted this week.

If we're extra lucky, HiM will come along to back up both Delta and RS.  Or...maybe RS himself will actually post more than one reply in his own thread.

I bet BB  cherishes this...

"Bret Bielema gets a pass from me this week.

After Kevin Scarbinsky of the Birmingham News, Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and others including me piled on Bielema for dragging a deceased football player into his slowing-down-the-offense debate, Bielema lost his campaign this past week when the measure was not accepted (I'm actually with Bielema on this rule)."

I'm sure BB is just relieved to get a week off from RS's typical rant.  I know it impacts him greatly.   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Robert Shields

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 10, 2014, 03:15:21 pm
Then you are breaking the law. If the cyclist chooses to contact the PD with your license plate, you will get a warning letter. Do it again and you'll get a citation in the mail.

I know you ride your bike a lot.  Surely, you don't buzz by people.

superior_wang

ok i live out in CO the cycling capital of the us .....and i think we should be allowed to run over each and every one of them for jacking up our already jacked up traffic.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 10, 2014, 03:15:21 pm
Then you are breaking the law. If the cyclist chooses to contact the PD with your license plate, you will get a warning letter. Do it again and you'll get a citation in the mail.
you didn't actually take him seriously, did you??

PP

Tripod1

You are correct Robert that runners train in all kinds of conditions and on race day you get whatever Mother Nature has in store for you.  You are wrong wrong wrong if you think runners should train or race with lightening.  I've run 15 marathons and more than that half marathons so I've certainly been out in bad conditions but believe me, I'm not stupid enough to be out running when it is lightening. race directors are correct in stopping the race in those conditions. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 12, 2014, 05:02:59 am
You are correct Robert that runners train in all kinds of conditions and on race day you get whatever Mother Nature has in store for you.  You are wrong wrong wrong if you think runners should train or race with lightening.  I've run 15 marathons and more than that half marathons so I've certainly been out in bad conditions but believe me, I'm not stupid enough to be out running when it is lightening. race directors are correct in stopping the race in those conditions.
RS wrong?  GTFOOH

PP

10thPlanet

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on March 10, 2014, 11:34:46 am
And most of them aren't tree huggers, since their Mountain biking are affected by the feds taking OUR land from us.

10thPlanet

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 10, 2014, 07:31:03 pm
I know Rey, so no. But as a cyclist, I like drivers to know the law when it comes to passing us.
Didn't know you were a cyclist, have yet to see you make the climb on Boston St. Let me know I'll hold that cup of water for you.

10thPlanet

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 15, 2014, 07:01:56 pm
Listen for cars honking at the slow guy churning up the hill. That'll be me.

Normally I go on down to Leigh Avenue and make the climb up to Cliff Drive behind Southside. Once I start heading home from Chaffee, it's uphill the whole way - even into my garage.
Gotcha! There was a small lady making the climb up Boston the first warm spell this year. I was in the yard and she was struggling, I yelled, "you got this!" She made it and yelled back down to me, "thank you, first time to make it."