Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Areas of Recruiting Interest

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, March 10, 2014, 12:29:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

Seems to me much of Florida and Texas but many urban city areas are also a place of interest this photo should be an example to CBB of places to look for in the recruiting to bring this program around

[attachment deleted by admin]

IBleedRazorbackRed

Looks to me like with his recent hires, that's what he's doing.

Hog on the Hill

We have guys with connections to Dallas, Houston, Louisiana, Miami, and the northeast.  We've been successful recruiting guys from the Atlanta area, too.  Bielema's time in the Big 10 also gives us reach into the midwest.

I don't think we're ever going to rank in the top 15 in recruiting on a consistent basis, but I think get can sit in the top 15-25 consistently if we can turn the program around.  Of course, coaches come and go, so our ability to reach into certain parts of the country will change over time.  But right now I like our setup.

redeye

I'm going to guess that Bielema knows that map better then you realize.  The average recruitnik knows it and I'd be shocked if every major college coach didn't.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: redeye on March 10, 2014, 03:42:53 pm
I'm going to guess that Bielema knows that map better then you realize.  The average recruitnik knows it and I'd be shocked if every major college coach didn't.

That map is necessary to bring brilliant players to the natural state's college football team

Piggfoot

This is exactly why I posted a suggestion that Long, in order increase our presence and get our name mentioned by the local media ,would do well by scheduling home and home with teams in Houston, Dallas and Miami for our OOC schedule instead of teams from god knows where. I might even include Atlanta.

Arkansas fans need to give up their selfish attitude for more home games playing no-names. In the long run it is not good for team growth and fans complain about poor attendance at those games anyway.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hoggish1

Our coaches have identified these areas long ago.  What is impressive is they are offering the top players in America and will be successful because of the personality and charisma of our coaches...

In the past, our coaches lacked those two important characteristics...

TheRazorbackGuy

CBB needs to look at this list along with others on the coaching staff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm betting he's very aware of the recruiting grounds.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkRinds

I'm sure he's never seen or heard such things...

Break & Run

I would rather look at where successful COLLEGE players come from.  There are a lot of successful NFL players who weren't big time college players.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Peter Porker

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 04, 2014, 01:34:08 pm
CBB, along with others on the coaching staff,  needs to look at this list along with others on the coaching staff

FIFY
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Hammibal Lecter

So avoid Wyoming and South Dakota...got it
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

IBleedRazorbackRed

How many times are you going to post the exact same thing?

redeye

So they'll know they've been recruiting the right places?

sickboy

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 04, 2014, 02:00:13 pm
I'm betting he's very aware of the recruiting grounds.

i would bet they are too BB. And it takes lots of money in the recruit budget on this scale. Especially if you are NOT named USCw, Alabama, ND.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

widespreadsooie

Those are also, literally, the most populous cities in America. Finding the right players in those cities is like finding a needle in a haystack when you're in Fayetteville, AR (Excluding the Dallas area). The time and focus wouldn't be worth the return. Opportunity cost is the concept.

Danny J

Quote from: widespreadsooie on April 04, 2014, 07:02:29 pm
Those are also, literally, the most populous cities in America. Finding the right players in those cities is like finding a needle in a haystack when you're in Fayetteville, AR (Excluding the Dallas area). The time and focus wouldn't be worth the return. Opportunity cost is the concept.
More like a needle in a needle stack.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: widespreadsooie on April 04, 2014, 07:02:29 pm

So where should we focus our attention? South Dakota?

redeye

Quote from: HawgnCorona on April 04, 2014, 06:42:31 pm
i would bet they are too BB. And it takes lots of money in the recruit budget on this scale. Especially if you are NOT named USCw, Alabama, ND.

Last I heard, our recruiting budget was near the top of the SEC.  Tennessee is usually on top by a good margin.  I don't think Alabama used to spend much, because it's not necessary for them, but I believe they've started being more competitive, lately.

beebefootballfan

If CBB and our Staff don't know where the majority of good players come from they need to be fired for incompetence.  Anybody with an ounce of knowledge about recruiting can tell you what is in that pic.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

HawgnCorona

Quote from: redeye on April 04, 2014, 10:24:58 pm
Last I heard, our recruiting budget was near the top of the SEC.  Tennessee is usually on top by a good margin.  I don't think Alabama used to spend much, because it's not necessary for them, but I believe they've started being more competitive, lately.

So you haven't read the stats? As of 2011 we were 5th at about 667K not just the SEC but the nation. I haven't seen more recent ones. Our issue right now is regaining the national stage and re-establishing our name.  Yes Tennessee is at the top with about 1.4m and Bama 2nd with 980K.

Here is the point though. Arkansas lives in a state that produces few in state prospects. So to recruit nationally that budget has to be higher to to bring in those athletes consistently nation wide.

USCw, ND et al are high profile schools and don't require as high of a budget because a) a lot of athletes want to there for obvious reason or b) You live in a state that produces a lot high quality athletes. c) Can i get there--NFL--from here.

Note the absents of USCw, ND, UT in the top 10. It is tough doing natinal recruiting so pick and choose your spots to focus on. And yes they are becoming more competitive. to you point.

I wasn't saying shouldn't though..

http://www.saturdayedge.com/7523/sec-recruiting-why-the-rich-get-richer/
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

widespreadsooie

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 04, 2014, 08:05:52 pm
So where should we focus our attention? South Dakota?

Yeah, targeting SD would probably be a program altering recruiting ploy. Along with Maine, Vermont, and Iceland.

Hoggish1

You don't think he has memorized this map?  I do...  LOL

slowride

I think we need to focus our out of state recruiting in areas that are less-traveled.  Once this map gets circulated, coaches are going to stampede toward the areas that have the biggest and most blue circles like Texas, Georgia, and Florida.  I suggest that if the stream is going one way, we need to go the other way.  Let's go into areas like Nebraska, Iowa, and Colorado and try to recruit lesser known players that we can develop.  Another state I would look at is Kentucky.  There are several circles there based on the map.  And you never hear of teams focusing on recruiting in Kentucky.

The_Bionic_Pig

April 05, 2014, 10:40:00 am #26 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:04:04 am by The_Bionic_Pig
Unless a particular position coach has recruiting ties to certain area's. ..the makeup of the  majority of our 2015 class should consistent with 2014: Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana & Florida. (Kansas Juco)

I believe Razorbackguy until Arkansas can become once again become a BCS Bowl topic in living rooms in Los Angeles,  Orlando,  Houston etc....you continue to concentrate recruiting finances in area already familiar with the Razorback program. 

Coach Pittman is the exception.  He's Phillip Fulmer in a recruits living room. 

I suspect some budget to be alloted for flight, hotel etc... towards the New England & SW Florida (Hillsborough County) areas to capitalize on our new coaching acquisitions.   Another scenario is a Arkansas native (recruit).  Weve had to much recent recruiting success in Texas, Florida, Louisiana to alter 95% focus. The other 5% towards Oklahoma & Missouri.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Wildhog

I don't understand why we've offered so few LB's. 

It doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: slowride on April 05, 2014, 10:13:57 am
I think we need to focus our out of state recruiting in areas that are less-traveled.  Once this map gets circulated, coaches are going to stampede toward the areas that have the biggest and most blue circles like Texas, Georgia, and Florida.  I suggest that if the stream is going one way, we need to go the other way.  Let's go into areas like Nebraska, Iowa, and Colorado and try to recruit lesser known players that we can develop.  Another state I would look at is Kentucky.  There are several circles there based on the map.  And you never hear of teams focusing on recruiting in Kentucky.

Snowride, Brilliant Post

z1on

Oh look the same map that has only been posted 100 times.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Wildhog on April 05, 2014, 11:16:05 am
I don't understand why we've offered so few LB's. 

It doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. 

To be fair WildHog the issue is simply a shortage of quality LBs for any school to recruit...

The last signing day there were only 11 in the top 100 and 5 were 5* and so far for 2015 there none in the top 100 and only 4 are 4*.

So it isn't like they are trying to recruit LBs. It is just that there aren't many available. So switching Safety, DE to the LB position make sense.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&view=3&yr=2015

Pork Twain

Late breaking news, Bobby Petrino wrecks his Harley.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WJBilly

I think we've found our new recruiting coordinator. ;)

slowride

Quote from: z1on on April 05, 2014, 01:36:29 pm
Oh look the same map that has only been posted 100 times.

OK, a few of the posters have seen this map before.  But, I and quite a few others haven't seen it.  I'm sure a lot of coaches haven't seen it.  I don't think ours has.  So, without a doubt it is a useful tool that our coaches need to use.  This map along with a well thought out strategy, preferably one focused on less traveled areas, can give us an advantage over most other programs.

Pork Twain

Quote from: slowride on April 06, 2014, 02:04:50 pm
OK, a few of the posters have seen this map before.  But, I and quite a few others haven't seen it.  I'm sure a lot of coaches haven't seen it.  I don't think ours has.  So, without a doubt it is a useful tool that our coaches need to use.  This map along with a well thought out strategy, preferably one focused on less traveled areas, can give us an advantage over most other programs.
Sure our stupid coach has no clue about areas we should recruit.  Good call.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

redeye

Quote from: HawgnCorona on April 04, 2014, 11:19:39 pm
So you haven't read the stats? As of 2011 we were 5th at about 667K not just the SEC but the nation. I haven't seen more recent ones. Our issue right now is regaining the national stage and re-establishing our name.  Yes Tennessee is at the top with about 1.4m and Bama 2nd with 980K.

Here is the point though. Arkansas lives in a state that produces few in state prospects. So to recruit nationally that budget has to be higher to to bring in those athletes consistently nation wide.

USCw, ND et al are high profile schools and don't require as high of a budget because a) a lot of athletes want to there for obvious reason or b) You live in a state that produces a lot high quality athletes. c) Can i get there--NFL--from here.

Note the absents of USCw, ND, UT in the top 10. It is tough doing natinal recruiting so pick and choose your spots to focus on. And yes they are becoming more competitive. to you point.

I wasn't saying shouldn't though..

http://www.saturdayedge.com/7523/sec-recruiting-why-the-rich-get-richer/

Yea, I've kept up with recruiting budgets for a while and was arguing that we needed to increase ours back when it wasn't very big.  Tennessee is in a somewhat similar position and it's worked for them for many years.  The thing is that Tennessee was cleaning up back when no one else was spending much money, but now everyone's spending big.

Notre Dame and USC aren't on the list because they don't release their budgets.  You're right about Texas not needing to spend much and the same goes for Alabama, although Bama has significantly raised their budget in recent years, as the article noted (I believe Bama was near the bottom of the SEC in 2009, when it won it's first, recent BCS title.)  I'm glad we're spending more, but I'm not sure that we're seeing the results of it, yet.

redeye

I guess I'm a little confused about this thread and why we keep seeing this topic.  I suspect our coaches know where to recruit, just as everyone around here does.

Having said that, I hope everyone noticed that there's no representation for NWA on the chart, while the Pine Bluff area is represented quite well.  It's also interesting that the Little Rock metro seems to produce better then the KC metro.

Is this chart for all time or some specific span?

slowride

Quote from: redeye on April 06, 2014, 03:59:36 pm

Having said that, I hope everyone noticed that there's no representation for NWA on the chart, while the Pine Bluff area is represented quite well.  It's also interesting that the Little Rock metro seems to produce better then the KC metro.

Is this chart for all time or some specific span?

Like they say in the military, do every thing you can to avoid trying to fight the last war.  In this case, these circles represent where players have come from in the past, not necessarily where they will come from in the future.  We need to think outside of the box and find players in places that no other coach would think to look.

redeye

Quote from: slowride on April 06, 2014, 04:13:36 pm
Like they say in the military, do every thing you can to avoid trying to fight the last war.

I'm not sure how that analogy applies here?

QuoteIn this case, these circles represent where players have come from in the past, not necessarily where they will come from in the future.

That's perfectly clear.  My question is do they represent every NFL  player in history or just since some specific time, say during the BCS era?  To give an example of why I ask, if it's just in the BCS era, then it would appear that the Little Rock metro area has turned out players just fine, despite that many think it hasn't been, lately.

QuoteWe need to think outside of the box and find players in places that no other coach would think to look.

Can you elaborate?  Maybe give a specific example?

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 12, 2014, 09:33:20 am
Our coaches have identified these areas long ago.  What is impressive is they are offering the top players in America and will be successful because of the personality and charisma of our coaches...

In the past, our coaches lacked those two important characteristics...

Yes but these areas are very important to the success of the football programs.

Dumb ole famrboy

Eastern Europe - 400 million people - average height of the male population is 6' 1-1/2". Void of recruiting competition from other schools. Certainly their is enough athletic talent there to find a couple of CBs and safeties.

slowride

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on April 09, 2014, 10:37:08 am
Eastern Europe - 400 million people - average height of the male population is 6' 1-1/2". Void of recruiting competition from other schools. Certainly their is enough athletic talent there to find a couple of CBs and safeties.

Well, that has worked in basketball so it may be worth a try.  It's definitely thinking out of the box which is what we need to be doing.

Pork Twain

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 08, 2014, 11:34:51 am
Yes but these areas are very important to the success of the football programs.
Yes but everyone already knows the areas where the most recruits come from.  Coaches are not going to pick up any valuable tips from Hogville.

redeye

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 09, 2014, 07:10:03 pm
Yes but everyone already knows the areas where the most recruits come from.  Coaches are not going to pick up any valuable tips from Hogville.

I think we're being trolled here.