Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Signing Period

Started by jbcarol, March 08, 2014, 07:29:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

ESPN CollegeFootball ‏@ESPNCFB  19h
College football is taking steps toward establishing an early signing period http://es.pn/O2x4p4

QuoteSusan Peal, NCAA associate director of operations, said the continued acceleration of recruiting has led the Conference Commissioners Association to consider an earlier date to supplement the long-existing date in February, similar to the structure for basketball and other sports.

"I think everyone wants an early signing period," Peal said this week. "It's just trying to nail down what's the appropriate date for that."

The letter of intent program is governed by the CCA, a 32-member panel of Division I conference commissioners. The group will meet in June to review an agenda that includes an early signing period.

The usage last fall of financial-aid agreements, available for January-enrolling prospects on Aug. 1 of their senior years to secure a scholarship, is among the accelerating factors. Prospects who sign financial-aid agreements and enroll early do not sign letters of intent.

Peal said the NCAA recently surveyed coaches about an early signing period. Most of the disagreement, she said, involves the actual date.

Options could include a fall date, late-summer or early-summer. No consensus exists.

"I know the [Southeastern Conference] coaches are not in favor of changing the recruiting calendar," Kentucky's Mark Stoops said in January...

Peal was the former Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance at The Ohio State University per her professional social media bio.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hawg IQ

I like the idea of an early signing period.  Several things it would help on.

1.  allow a high school senior to thoroughly enjoy their last year of high school.

2. assuming some sort of limit as is in basketball (somewhere around 12), it would allow coaches a better evaluation of remaining pool of recruits for February.
3. take some of the tremendous recruiting pressures away from what is a huge disadvantage to coaches, teams, families of players ,coaches alike.
4. I think it would be an advantage to teams such as Arkansas and allow high school players to really find a college that is the best fit for them.

as to the early sign date, I would think July, after the camps and before fall practice. that's a perfect time frame, I see other dates earlier or later conflicts  to players and coaches.
go hogs go !

rhog1

I hate this idea. It will eliminate a lot of the flips. Seems like it would benefit somewhere like Alabama a lot more than us.

hawg IQ

Quote from: rhog1 on March 08, 2014, 08:10:35 am
I hate this idea. It will eliminate a lot of the flips. Seems like it would benefit somewhere like Alabama a lot more than us.
I see the contrary on flips. I think it creates more. Say kids stay for later dates thinking they get marquee bama, lsu or similar..when the remaining scholarships gets gobbled up some are left with no place to go but the lower tiered teams. If the kids wants the SEC, well he has fewer teams to pick from, it could create a little more parity in sec.
go hogs go !

rhog1

Quote from: hawg IQ on March 08, 2014, 08:19:49 am
I see the contrary on flips. I think it creates more. Say kids stay for later dates thinking they get marquee bama, lsu or similar..when the remaining scholarships gets gobbled up some are left with no place to go but the lower tiered teams. If the kids wants the SEC, well he has fewer teams to pick from, it could create a little more parity in sec.
You will have schools like Alabama saying if you don't sign during the early period then you may no longer have a scholarship here, as a pressure tactic. This will lock down some of the undecideds who probably would have went somewhere else.

CDBHawg

Let the Bama's, Texas's, etc. fill up early.

I think it's be good for us.

onebadrubi

This will not result well for Arkansas.  Coming to memory, we wouldn't have got JoJo, Cornelius, Kirkland, Edwards and more.  This will not help a school that has a successful year, kids will be signing before even a game is played this year, not good for us.  We are banking on a some big games, huge crowds, and a couple of nice wins to swing some big recruits our way. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 08, 2014, 09:36:31 am
This will not result well for Arkansas.  Coming to memory, we wouldn't have got JoJo, Cornelius, Kirkland, Edwards and more.  This will not help a school that has a successful year, kids will be signing before even a game is played this year, not good for us.  We are banking on a some big games, huge crowds, and a couple of nice wins to swing some big recruits our way.

That's assuming those other schools take their commitment and allow them to sign. Kirkland is the only one on that list we probably wouldn't of signed.

I would argue it'd help us in recruiting.

Where it truly hurts is during a coaching change.

The real Hogules

Yes, but that's a double edged sword!

Some greats will sign early as will some perceived greats and once the ink has dried on the scholarship offer you can't ask them to grey shirt.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hawg IQ

Quote from: rhog1 on March 08, 2014, 09:24:05 am
You will have schools like Alabama saying if you don't sign during the early period then you may no longer have a scholarship here, as a pressure tactic. This will lock down some of the undecideds who probably would have went somewhere else. 
thing about Alabama , they already sign about 15-18  5 stars and the rest abunch of 4 stars, maybe 1- 3 star. How they might get some better players out of this, than what they get already, is beyond me.
They usually steal some away in the last day or two anyway. I say fewer numbers in February for them would help an Arkansas.
    The other advantage for teams like ours, lets say Alabama or teams that caliber load up on skill players early and plan on getting lineman in the feb and a few skill kids have banner senior seasons...it would benefit us.
I can see more upside than downside..
   besides its working fine in basketball, why be afraid of change in football?
go hogs go !

hawg IQ

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 08, 2014, 11:11:04 am
That's assuming those other schools take their commitment and allow them to sign. Kirkland is the only one on that list we probably wouldn't of signed.

I would argue it'd help us in recruiting.

Where it truly hurts is during a coaching change.
on the coaching change, I agree,  however there would probably be a rule of not having to honor LOI's in the event the coach terminates..
go hogs go !

ChicoHog

I think it might have been Petrino, not sure, that said an early signing period would hurt Arkansas as our best bet is to get kids on campus in the fall to see our facilities, experience a game day atmosphere, etc.,  Many of our recruits come from a long distance relative to most SEC schools and they have no idea what Arkansas is like. I'm guessing most of LSU, UF, Bama, UGA recruits have been on many unofficial visits as they live much closer to campus.  If they do an early signing period I think it should be limited to 12 or 15 people at most. 

HogPhilosophy

I think an early signing period should only apply to those who qualify for early graduation.

CDBHawg

Quote from: HogPhilosophy on March 08, 2014, 03:11:50 pm
I think an early signing period should only apply to those who qualify for early graduation.

This makes most sense.

Hogtimes

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 08, 2014, 09:36:31 am

Hopefully the reverse will happen and Arkansas will not have to  depend on swaying late decision makers.  We will be winning and have kids committing early to Arkansas instead of what we have now.

Hogtimes

Hpefully in the future  we will be in a position like Bama and the shoe willl be on the ther foot.

rolyat_2008

wouldn't be good for us but some will say it would be

just like they said A&M coming to the SEC would be good for us (recruiting in TX)

Wahls

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 09, 2014, 12:32:32 am
just like they said A&M coming to the SEC would be good for us (recruiting in TX)

I got lambasted on here for saying everyone was retarded for thinking that.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 08, 2014, 12:14:39 pm
I think it might have been Petrino, not sure, that said an early signing period would hurt Arkansas as our best bet is to get kids on campus in the fall to see our facilities, experience a game day atmosphere, etc.,  Many of our recruits come from a long distance relative to most SEC schools and they have no idea what Arkansas is like. I'm guessing most of LSU, UF, Bama, UGA recruits have been on many unofficial visits as they live much closer to campus.  If they do an early signing period I think it should be limited to 12 or 15 people at most.

I believe in this scenario above, thus it would not help us to have recruits signing in the summer.  I do think the early enrollees should be able to sign when they sign their financial aid paperwork like happened with Peavy and Cornelius this past year.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Hawghiggs

I'm fine with this as long as we are allowed to bring juniors in for official visits and would be able to get the scholarship back if the athlete doesn't qualify before December.

Dark Helmet Hog

Not sure this is a good thing. I can't say it's helped any other sport.

Beavthompson

Quote from: hawg IQ on March 08, 2014, 11:21:39 am
thing about Alabama , they already sign about 15-18  5 stars and the rest abunch of 4 stars, maybe 1- 3 star. How they might get some better players out of this, than what they get already, is beyond me.
They usually steal some away in the last day or two anyway. I say fewer numbers in February for them would help an Arkansas.
    The other advantage for teams like ours, lets say Alabama or teams that caliber load up on skill players early and plan on getting lineman in the feb and a few skill kids have banner senior seasons...it would benefit us.
I can see more upside than downside..
   besides its working fine in basketball, why be afraid of change in football?
15-18 5* that would be the greatest class ever!! Find me any school that signed 15+ 5*!!
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC ·2h
Richt on early signing period: "I've got a feeling it will be like 'Why in the world did we do that?'" http://wp.me/p3Xdrl-nX
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Wildhog

Real bad for Hogs if it happens.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

tbhogfan

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. -Bert Lance

If it ain't broke, keep tinkering with it until it is. -NCAA
Go Hogs!

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC ·55 mins
Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin favors early signing period in August or Dec: http://wp.me/p3Xdrl-o7

Miami's Al Golden is campaigning for not 2 but 3 signing periods.

wholehog92

This would be bad for AR.  Our biggest battle is getting kids on campus to shoot down the national stereotypes.  If we don't get the opportunity to get them on campus before they even make a decision, we've lost our biggest battle before we ever start.  The more time we have to get them here the better.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Wildhog

Quote from: wholehog92 on March 11, 2014, 03:38:06 pm
This would be bad for AR.  Our biggest battle is getting kids on campus to shoot down the national stereotypes.  If we don't get the opportunity to get them on campus before they even make a decision, we've lost our biggest battle before we ever start.  The more time we have to get them here the better.

Absolutely 100% on the money.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mpt

Let them visit in the spring of their Jr. year, it would give the spring games on campus a much more important role in showing a kid what the fan base is like.  Not sure this would help the hogs based on the number of fans that show up for the game.  Not when bama has 90,000  show up for their spring game.

colbs

IMO this wouldn't be good for the hogs.

hawg IQ

Quote from: colbs on March 12, 2014, 12:58:03 pm
IMO this wouldn't be good for the hogs.
I don't see a down side.. A lot of juniors coming to campus right now.
If a kid come and has a good visit, why not sign him in early signing. I think it hurts the higher ranked marquee teams more.
go hogs go !

hawg IQ

Quote from: Beavthompson on March 09, 2014, 03:53:44 pm
15-18 5* that would be the greatest class ever!! Find me any school that signed 15+ 5*!!
Well how about 7 - 5 star ( 7 parade all American) and 19- 4 star then ! I think about 15 was in one of high school army all American type games.
the point was Alabama gets em anyway.
Don't see them "doing better" with signing date?
go hogs go !

rolyat_2008

the coaches in talent rich areas are all in favor of it

for them they can get recruits on campus quicker and lock them up

then move on to the other blue chippers

Melorock089

I think it helps the elite teams. Kids know elite teams cherry pick their players and can easily pressure any kid to sign early. It's bad for that kid because he could have buyer's regret.

Many of our marquee signees are recruits we've battled with other elite colleges. I don't mean to bad mouth Arkansas but some of them chose us because we were the next best option.