Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA hires basketball coach

Started by hogfan14, March 05, 2014, 02:27:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan14

Former #UCA player and former Ole Miss, Arizona assistant Russ Pennell expected to be the new men's basketball coach at UCA #UCAMBB- David McCollum

http://ucasports.com/news/2014/3/5/MBB_0305145137.aspx

CONWAY, Ark. _ The University of Central Arkansas will host a news conference at 1 p.m. Friday to announce Russ Pennell as its new head men's basketball coach, according to Dr. Brad Teague, UCA director of athletics.

Pennell, who played at UCA from 1982-84, was interim coach at the University of Arizona in 2008-09 and head coach at Grand Canyon University from 2009-2013. He most recently coached the Phoenix Mercury in the WNBA.

Pennell, a native of Pittsburg, Kan., has an extensive background as a collegiate assistant coach, at Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Arizona State and Arizona.

Pennell, 53, will replace UCA interim Coach Clarence Finley, who replaced Corliss Williamson last August when he left to be an assistant coach for the Sacramento Kings in the National Basketball Association.

The news conference will be held in the Board Room at Wingo Hall on the UCA campus.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10555544/russ-pennell-former-interim-coach-arizona-wildcats-hired-central-arkansas

Former Arizona interim and Grand Canyon coach Russ Pennell has been hired as the head coach at Central Arkansas, sources told ESPN.

Central Arkansas (6-19, 3-11 Southland) has had interim coach Clarence Finley in charge of the program this season after Corliss Williamson, who was 26-62 in the last three seasons, left to join the Sacramento Kings' coaching staff in the NBA.

Pennell was the interim coach at Arizona in 2008-09 while Lute Olson battled health issues. He was also the head coach at Grant Canyon for three seasons before being fired last year. Pennell spent this year in the WNBA.

Good hire for them i think. Took Arizona to the sweet 16

OakTreeHawg

Like the hire.  I think his wife is from Arkansas.  Some Arkansas connection there.

hogman99

I think he will make a point to recruit the state. I think there are good basketball players out there and having local talent will help to increase the attendance of games.  I have no doubt Coach Pennell can get the most out of his players.  Very big hire by UCA!!