Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Korliss Marshall to stay on offense..per Bielema

Started by Legball13, March 05, 2014, 01:48:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2014, 11:19:08 am
I'm betting this season he gets around 10 carries a game, with some receiving yards mixed in.  Seeing him catch some bubble screens would be amazing.

Going off of last years numbers if you remove our QBs rushes which were sacks/scrambles and our punters rushes for the fake punts we averaged right around 36 rush attempts a game.  ~16 of those went to Collins and 12.5 JWill leaving about 8 to sprinkle elsewhere.  I would guess 4-6 is probably a realistic number unless we split him out and give him some of the end arounds that were going to WR.  Personally I'm not willing to take carries away from the other 2 so if we can get him an average of 5 carries plus involved in the kicking game that should give us a nice boost.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 07, 2014, 01:24:28 pm
Going off of last years numbers if you remove our QBs rushes which were sacks/scrambles and our punters rushes for the fake punts we averaged right around 36 rush attempts a game.  ~16 of those went to Collins and 12.5 JWill leaving about 8 to sprinkle elsewhere.  I would guess 4-6 is probably a realistic number unless we split him out and give him some of the end arounds that were going to WR.  Personally I'm not willing to take carries away from the other 2 so if we can get him an average of 5 carries plus involved in the kicking game that should give us a nice boost.  Totally agree with the KR and PR.  He's a killer there.

I just can't see limiting someone with that much potential to 4-6 carries a game without using him in other ways too.  I personally think you'll see him utilized in a multitude of ways, including the jet sweeps that went to WR's last year. You're right though, KR and PR will be great for him too, he's a killer there.

thirrdegreetusker

For perspective:

Steve Atwater
Safety
Two-time All America
Eight-time All Pro

Re high school, from Wiki:
Atwater was selected all-conference and league Most Valuable Player as an option style quarterback. He credits his coach there, Mike Russell, as serving as a mentor for him both as a football player and becoming an exemplary citizen. Atwater also is sixth on Lutheran North's all-time passing yards in a season with 1,097 yards in his junior year.

We need quality starters, and depth, at Safety NOW. Put some athletes there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 07, 2014, 02:10:31 pm
For perspective:

Steve Atwater
Safety
Two-time All America
Eight-time All Pro

Atwater was selected all-conference and league Most Valuable Player as an option style quarterback. He credits his coach there, Mike Russell, as serving as a mentor for him both as a football player and becoming an exemplary citizen. Atwater also is sixth on Lutheran North's all-time passing yards in a season with 1,097 yards in his junior year.

I'm sure that's the plan.

bphi11ips

I have two questions that don't appear to be discussed much above:

Where does Korliss Marshall want to play?

What gives him the best shot at earning a living playing football? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PorkRinds

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 07, 2014, 02:17:45 pm
I have two questions that don't appear to be discussed much above:

Where does Korliss Marshall want to play?

What gives him the best shot at earning a living playing football?

I think your first question is easily answered by your second.  No one knows where that is just yet though, it seems. But the coaches think it's on offense, obviously.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2014, 02:20:53 pm
I think your first question is easily answered by your second.  No one knows where that is just yet though, it seems. But the coaches think it's on offense, obviously.

Is it obvious?  I don't know what the coaches think.  Maybe you do. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 07, 2014, 02:35:12 pm
Is it obvious?  I don't know what the coaches think.  Maybe you do.

Well, since they've decided to keep him on offense, I'd say they think he's better off on offense.  I guess that's just an assumption.  ;D

Calling All Hogs

We need at least four good backs ready to go at any time. We got lucky last year that neither Alex or JW got seriously hurt. This is not always the case when playing a long SEC schedule.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 07, 2014, 02:10:31 pm
For perspective:

Steve Atwater
Safety
Two-time All America
Eight-time All Pro

What made Atwater great as a Safety was that he saw the field as a QB, and hit like a LB'er. Not all RB's have that natural ability, particularly the ability to see the field of play similar to that of a QB. I'm not saying that Marshall wouldn't be a great Safety and it certainly isn't required to have been a QB to be a great Safety. But apparently the evaluation of the staff is that he gives us greater opportunity at RB than Safety, at least at this time, and these things can change.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: The NewEra on March 07, 2014, 06:18:05 pm
Article just out on this very issue:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983830-arkansas-football-hogs-should-keep-korliss-marshall-at-rb

I can't help but wonder why a guy that's the "official razorbacks writer" doesn't know that CBB already said he's staying at RB.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 07, 2014, 07:40:07 pm
What made Atwater great as a Safety was that he saw the field as a QB, and hit like a LB'er. Not all RB's have that natural ability, particularly the ability to see the field of play similar to that of a QB. I'm not saying that Marshall wouldn't be a great Safety and it certainly isn't required to have been a QB to be a great Safety. But apparently the evaluation of the staff is that he gives us greater opportunity at RB than Safety, at least at this time, and these things can change.

Who on defense other than the safety needs to see the field as the QB sees it?

PonderinHog

Great, so we get to see him not play very much this year, barring injuries!

Mike_e

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 07, 2014, 09:20:52 pm
Great, so we get to see him not play very much this year, barring injuries!

Two more first downs a drive gets you an extra 6 snaps or so per so call it 15 extra a game realistically.   It shouldn't be too hard to double his touches.

Does anyone know how close Duwop (sp?) is to moving over to safety?  If that guy can hit he could have a long career at that position in the league.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

ricepig

Quote from: Mike_e on March 08, 2014, 06:53:59 am
Two more first downs a drive gets you an extra 6 snaps or so per so call it 15 extra a game realistically.   It shouldn't be too hard to double his touches.

Does anyone know how close Duwop (sp?) is to moving over to safety?  If that guy can hit he could have a long career at that position in the league.

We're going to average around the same amount of plays per game, it's the style and pace of play.

The NewEra

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2014, 09:08:23 pm
I can't help but wonder why a guy that's the "official razorbacks writer" doesn't know that CBB already said he's staying at RB.

It is rather perplexing.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2014, 07:09:35 am
We're going to average around the same amount of plays per game, it's the style and pace of play.

I would much rather play 15-20 more plays on offense and that many fewer on defense.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 08, 2014, 07:09:35 am
The field is gonna be longer this year, dummy.

LZH

I watched some footage of this kid in high school. He wasn't only the fastest guy on the field, he was outrunning angles from 20 yards out. And it isn't like he was playing against pitiful competition. I can't imagine Chaney not giving him 6 to 8 carries this year. If you haven't seen the clips, you really should check 'em out.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 08, 2014, 08:37:19 am
I watched some footage of this kid in high school. He wasn't only the fastest guy on the field, he was outrunning angles from 20 yards out. And it isn't like he was playing against pitiful competition. I can't imagine Chaney not giving him 6 to 8 carries this year. If you haven't seen the clips, you really should check 'em out.
From what little I saw of him last year, he also likes to hit people.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 08, 2014, 08:42:18 am
From what little I saw of him last year, he also likes to hit people.

Yeah, be nice to close those angles too, and then hit someone.

LZH

Is there a reason we didn't see more of him last year? Or did he play quite a bit and I just didn't notice?

PonderinHog

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 08, 2014, 09:44:22 am
Is there a reason we didn't see more of him last year? Or did he play quite a bit and I just didn't notice?
The reason was Williams and Collins.  He didn't play at all until the 3rd or 4th game, IIRC.

Legball13

Whos to say, that with the experience from last year, a year in the weight room and spring practice this year, that he wont take the starting position from Collins or Jwill? It happens all the time!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Legball13 on March 08, 2014, 01:49:21 pm
Whos to say, that with the experience from last year, a year in the weight room and spring practice this year, that he wont take the starting position from Collins or Jwill? It happens all the time!

Lol

Speedracer

I think Marshall may not be the most hyped RB we have, but I think he may be the best.
Like smites bother me.

Wahls

March 09, 2014, 06:59:23 am #127 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:34:29 am by Wahls
Quote from: Tim Harris on March 05, 2014, 02:05:09 pm
I've said for a while he had to stay on offense regardless of what was said elsewhere.  Many fans have him as an All SEC safety even though he has never played the position at this level. It would be a major gamble to move him.

So instead of finding out if his skill set, which most people believe to fit perfectly with an elite level FS (myself included, I've been saying it since his Soph year in HS), lets put him 3rd string behind Collins and JWill.

The gamble is not to move him. The gamble is to keep him where he is, bottom line.

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:14:52 pm
Why do posters think Korliss would be a great safety?

He has elite level agility along with being physical, but doesn't have a lot of weight. He's strong and tough enough to take someone down but fast and agile enough to cover a wide receiver out of the slot.

It's hard to find a guy with high level agility that is also physical. His high end gear is just a plus. It's the same reason why Darren McFadden was also a highly decorated "athlete" out of high school. He was a freak safety in his own right at Oak Grove.

Quote from: Ben Steiger on March 05, 2014, 06:52:22 pm
I seem to remember this dude named D-Mac, whom people talked about moving to safety.

Worked out pretty well for us.

Lets be real for a minute, Darren McFadden would have been an all-american in the secondary. Man amongst boys. RB, Safety, Corner, Wide Out, Tight End, Defensive tackle - It didn't matter. I might be exaggerating a little.

But, we're so talent deficient at safety, it's hard to imagine sticking Marshall 3rd at tailback. I know they must have a good reason, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wahls on March 09, 2014, 06:59:23 am
So instead of finding out if his skill set, which most people believe to fit perfectly with an elite level FS (myself included, I've been saying it since his Soph year in HS), lets put him 3rd string behind Collins and JWill.

But, we're so talent deficient at safety, it's hard to imagine sticking Marshall 3rd at tailback. I know they must have a good reason, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Like I say, it seemed like a good idea at the time. +1

MuskogeeHogFan

This staff wants to win and that means having your best athletes on the field at any given time. I'm pretty sure that they have evaluated Marshall as a Safety. I have to think that they are putting him where they feel that he presents the greatest value to us and where they feel he can make the greatest immediate contribution to the team. If he could make a greater immediate impact and contribution at Safety, I'm pretty sure that is where he would be.

That being said, I'm not sure but what he might not see some time at Safety as well, even if only in a two deep. Still, you have to trust the judgement of the staff who sees these kids everyday in practice and gets to evaluate a lot more about every individual player, regardless of what our projected evaluations of players might be.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

I'll bet Georgia thought they had plenty of primo RB at the start of last season.

So did S Car a few seasons back, right before Lattimore got hurt.

We had 2 at the start of 2013. Now we have 3. Maybe 4 if Kody doesn't become a FB.

That isn't too many. It's barely enough.

2015 will have JWill playing on Sunday, with Alex our #1 and Korliss #2. Time will tell on Juan.

One safety, more or less, isn't gonna fix the defense.

ricepig

Quote from: steefhog on March 09, 2014, 10:13:56 am
I'll bet Georgia thought they had plenty of primo RB at the start of last season.

So did S Car a few seasons back, right before Lattimore got hurt.

We had 2 at the start of 2013. Now we have 3. Maybe 4 if Kody doesn't become a FB.

That isn't too many. It's barely enough.

2015 will have JWill playing on Sunday, with Alex our #1 and Korliss #2. Time will tell on Juan.

One safety, more or less, isn't gonna fix the defense.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that JWill will go pro after next season, lots of season to be played, and lots different circumstances to factor in. We should be able to sign a top shelf RB this season, maybe two. I just want some speed and talent at safety, Bennett's 4.7 showed it was missing last season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 09, 2014, 10:37:14 am
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that JWill will go pro after next season, lots of season to be played, and lots different circumstances to factor in. We should be able to sign a top shelf RB this season, maybe two. I just want some speed and talent at safety, Bennett's 4.7 showed it was missing last season.

I agree with you, but...

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2014, 09:43:15 am
This staff wants to win and that means having your best athletes on the field at any given time. I'm pretty sure that they have evaluated Marshall as a Safety. I have to think that they are putting him where they feel that he presents the greatest value to us and where they feel he can make the greatest immediate contribution to the team. If he could make a greater immediate impact and contribution at Safety, I'm pretty sure that is where he would be.

That being said, I'm not sure but what he might not see some time at Safety as well, even if only in a two deep. Still, you have to trust the judgement of the staff who sees these kids everyday in practice and gets to evaluate a lot more about every individual player, regardless of what our projected evaluations of players might be.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on March 09, 2014, 10:37:14 am

Well, I'm certainly not privy to JWill's thoughts, but if I were a betting man, I would bet he's gone after this year.

I agree we need speed at safety. We need at least 2 fast safeties and 2 faster CBs. We really need double that. Really, the reinforces my point. We're gonna have to rebuild that speed through recruiting. We might as well get used to the idea THAT is gonna take some time.

Putting Korliss over there would be 1 out of a need of eight. Meantime, he can contribute NOW at RB.

At least, that is what I would guess Coach B is thinking.

greenie

No doubt Korliss is a great athlete with great speed.  However, great speed doesn't necessary equate to a great running back.  I think that vision is just as important, and Collins has proven that he has great vision.  I haven't had the chance to see that out of Korliss yet.  Maybe some of you that saw him in high school can vouch for him in that light, but he didn't get the chance to show that last year...if he has it.  With that said, I haven't seen anything that would make me think he could ever be a better back than Collins, and thus beat him out for more carries.

I hope he proves me wrong, but seems more like wishful thinking at this point.  The fact that CBB wants to keep him at RB says more about the other backups we have at that position.

ricepig

Quote from: steefhog on March 09, 2014, 02:52:16 pm
Well, I'm certainly not privy to JWill's thoughts, but if I were a betting man, I would bet he's gone after this year.

I agree we need speed at safety. We need at least 2 fast safeties and 2 faster CBs. We really need double that. Really, the reinforces my point. We're gonna have to rebuild that speed through recruiting. We might as well get used to the idea THAT is gonna take some time.

Putting Korliss over there would be 1 out of a need of eight. Meantime, he can contribute NOW at RB.

At least, that is what I would guess Coach B is thinking.

So, your philosophy would be to wait until we have all 8 of these needed secondary players? We need help on defense now, I don't care where it comes from, but the sooner the better.

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on March 09, 2014, 07:27:25 pm
So, your philosophy would be to wait until we have all 8 of these needed secondary players? We need help on defense now, I don't care where it comes from, but the sooner the better.

Yeah. That's my "philosopohy."

Good insight.

Steef

Quote from: greenie on March 09, 2014, 06:27:32 pm
No doubt Korliss is a great athlete with great speed.  However, great speed doesn't necessary equate to a great running back.  I think that vision is just as important, and Collins has proven that he has great vision.  I haven't had the chance to see that out of Korliss yet.  Maybe some of you that saw him in high school can vouch for him in that light, but he didn't get the chance to show that last year...if he has it.  With that said, I haven't seen anything that would make me think he could ever be a better back than Collins, and thus beat him out for more carries.

I hope he proves me wrong, but seems more like wishful thinking at this point.  The fact that CBB wants to keep him at RB says more about the other backups we have at that position.

Does he have to be a "better back than Collins, and thus beat him out for more carries"....in order to contribute to our running game?

ricepig

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Legball13 on March 05, 2014, 01:48:06 pm
Thoughts.. I think he understands that Marshall is just as good as Collins and Jwill. Everyone knows he is faster and most explosive. And will only get better with more carries!

It bites he can't be a killer safety, but he is a game changer at running back, you have to love the way he runs. 

Wahls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2014, 09:43:15 amStill, you have to trust the judgement of the staff who sees these kids everyday in practice and gets to evaluate a lot more about every individual player, regardless of what our projected evaluations of players might be.

Sure, I agree with that.

I'm just wondering where we go from here, that's all.
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Tim Harris

The gamble is not to move him. The gamble is to keep him where he is, bottom line.

So would you rather put him at S just hoping he works out but leave us only 2 RBs?  Walker is a FB, who knows on Evans (some are high on him others aren't), and Day almost definitely RS coming off his torn ACL.

Snaps for him at Safety in practice would have been minimal last year but I'm sure they got to see him some.  Either they saw enough to know he isn't going to be a safety and can help us more at RB or they saw enough out of him at RB to know he can help us there this year instead wasting 1+ years trying to make him in to a safety.

Either way we slice it numbers aren't what they need to be a S or RB.  Leaving him there sets us up well at RB.  Now we need to find a couple S.

PorkRinds

He has elite level agility along with being physical, but doesn't have a lot of weight. He's strong and tough enough to take someone down but fast and agile enough to cover a wide receiver out of the slot.

It's hard to find a guy with high level agility that is also physical. His high end gear is just a plus. It's the same reason why Darren McFadden was also a highly decorated "athlete" out of high school. He was a freak safety in his own right at Oak Grove.

Lets be real for a minute, Darren McFadden would have been an all-american in the secondary. Man amongst boys. RB, Safety, Corner, Wide Out, Tight End, Defensive tackle - It didn't matter. I might be exaggerating a little.

The funniest, and saddest, part of this statement is that you actually believe that the coaches haven't done that already.  If they thought he was going to light the world on fire at safety, that's where he would be.  The fact that you think fans, or anyone else, knows more about where these guys should play than their actual coaches, is beyond ridiculous.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2014, 08:35:00 am
The funniest, and saddest, part of this statement is that you actually believe that the coaches haven't done that already.  If they thought he was going to light the world on fire at safety, that's where he would be.  The fact that you think fans, or anyone else, knows more about where these guys should play than their actual coaches, is beyond ridiculous.
I'll have to agree with this...it takes a certain set of skills to be able to play CB and even safety...anticipation and change of direction are of the two most important, not just flat out straight line speed...one's hips must be loose and on a swivel to play defense in the back 7, again, not just straight line speed...this may be sacrilege, but from what I've seen, Collins, as good a year as he had, may be better suited for CB in the NFL...Collins has good speed, nice hands and is very athletic and is competitive enough to fight for the ball when it's in the air...Collins has yet to show breakaway speed and may be more adept at covering WR's for 40 yards than he is at running the football...JMHO....Alex will excel at whatever position he plays because he's that kind of player.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

greenie

Quote from: steefhog on March 09, 2014, 07:40:20 pm
Does he have to be a "better back than Collins, and thus beat him out for more carries"....in order to contribute to our running game?

Of course not.  There have just been some comments in this thread that propose that Korliss is better than Collins and/or JWill.  That's the only part of this I'm having trouble with.  Our two starters are real studs.

Legball13

Quote from: greenie on March 10, 2014, 08:49:48 am
Of course not.  There have just been some comments in this thread that propose that Korliss is better than Collins and/or JWill.  That's the only part of this I'm having trouble with.  Our two starters are real studs.

And I agree with you but only to a point.. .yep they are both stud.. but like u said that is what you have seen! Every year is a new year.. Take a look at Henry from Bama.. I bet everyone thought the guys starting were better.. but I bet going into this year he is the MAN! I think if Korliss would of had the same work that AC and Jwill had.. that he would be just as good and maybe even better.. But Im sure that some of ya think just because he didnt have 5 stars attached to his name coming out of high school that there is no way he could ever be better.. lol

thirrdegreetusker

Agree

We lost games because our safeties blew coverages, and weren't that awesome when they did carry out assignments. See: LSU

Wildhog

If they thought Marshall could make a difference at safety, that's where he'd be.  They openly debated the possibility.  I've got to imagine they've done their due diligence.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wahls

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 10, 2014, 08:35:00 am

I gotta give the rest of the board some credit. It took longer for a mouth breather to show up than I expected.

This is the only message board I've ever posted on where a different opinion from the head coach equates to the original poster automatically believing that he/she is smarter than said head coach. No, it just means you have a different opinion... On a message board... Where you, uh, you know, discuss things. If you're unfamiliar with the concept of a message board - fine.

If you want a board where you want to look at hog sports through a colorblind lens and discourage critical thinking, please take the 35 or so people with you that consistently repeat this dried up drivel.

If you would have read the entire post, you would know that I am just of the opinion that Marshall deserves a prolonged look at safety because of his rare skillset, and that their decision to leave them on offense is interesting.

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 10, 2014, 07:20:23 am
So would you rather put him at S just hoping he works out but leave us only 2 RBs?  Walker is a FB, who knows on Evans (some are high on him others aren't), and Day almost definitely RS coming off his torn ACL.

I kinda disagree that Walker is a true fullback. But to answer your question, 2 RB's plus Walker, Evans, and Day than the cavalcade we have at safety right now. Yes. I don't feel we have the talent level high enough to have a ridiculous 3-4th option when we need help in the secondary.

Of course, I'm going off what I have seen. He may have played FS and fell on his face in practice. It's just very interesting to me.

PonderinHog

Stupid question time.  Where are all these pratices being held and who is attending them?