Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Korliss Marshall to stay on offense..per Bielema

Started by Legball13, March 05, 2014, 01:48:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Legball13

Thoughts.. I think he understands that Marshall is just as good as Collins and Jwill. Everyone knows he is faster and most explosive. And will only get better with more carries!

Wildhog

Then he'd better get a LOT of touches.  I don't hate this, but we can't afford to miss on any of our S signees. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

smb

Well this is interesting I thought he wanted to play defense?
GeorgiaHOG

gohogs1969

Crap man. We need a big time safety in the worst way. Does anybody remember being up on LSU and letting them go 99 on us with a freshman QB with a minute and change left in the game?

Wildhog

I hope this is also a good sign with Dre Coley.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 05, 2014, 01:49:20 pm
Then he'd better get a LOT of touches.  I don't hate this, but we can't afford to miss on any of our S signees. 

I agree, we need guys at safety, and he also said that he would be at RB for spring practice, didn't speculate further on.

Tim Harris

I've said for a while he had to stay on offense regardless of what was said elsewhere.  Many fans have him as an All SEC safety even though he has never played the position at this level.  It would be a major gamble to move him. He has proven he can contribute at RB and our numbers aren't as good there as they need to be when you are going to run the ball as much as we do.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 05, 2014, 02:05:09 pm
I've said for a while he had to stay on offense regardless of what was said elsewhere.  Many fans have him as an All SEC safety even though he has never played the position at this level.  It would be a major gamble to move him. He has proven he can contribute at RB and our numbers aren't as good there as they need to be when you are going to run the ball as much as we do.

Well, our numbers at safety are even worse, I don't care who plays where, I just want the best 22 out there.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Quote from: gohogs1969 on March 05, 2014, 01:53:11 pm
Crap man. We need a big time safety in the worst way. Does anybody remember being up on LSU and letting them go 99 on us with a freshman QB with a minute and change left in the game?

Yes, I remember Ash rushing like 3 on a Frosh QB in his own EZ.
Go away, batin'

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2014, 02:07:21 pm
Well, our numbers at safety are even worse, I don't care who plays where, I just want the best 22 out there.

I'm not sure that you could say numbers are worse.  Maybe equal but we only have 4 RB that will play next year if you count Marshall.

Collins, Williams, Marshall, and Evans.  Day is almost a guarantee to RS coming off his knee injury and Walker was a FB at the end of the year.

secneahog

Collins..Williams. .Marshall. ..Evans....wow..
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 05, 2014, 02:12:41 pm #12 Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:08:27 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
We need it, he has got break away speed.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Dwight_K_Shrute

Were returns mentioned as well.  The guy made things happen on offense.  What is better than a 1-2 punch.  A 1-2-3 punch. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

Quote from: Wildhog on March 05, 2014, 01:49:20 pm
Then he'd better get a LOT of touches.

This.  I still don't understand why he can't do a majority of his time at S and have the same amount of touches at RB as he had last season (assuming he's good enough at S).

The Hogfather

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 02:53:48 pm
Hogville logic: this sucks. We need him at safety, not at runningback.  He would have made a great safety...because he was so good at runningback.

This is not logic used by anyone.

ricepig

Hogville logic: this sucks. We need him at safety, not at runningback.  He would have made a great safety...because he was so good at runningback.

No, the HV logic was, we have a couple of good/quality, can start for most any SEC team RB's, the same can't be said at safety. We need more speed at safety, it just seems spring practice would have been a good time to see what he could do back there. We may have guys coming in, but to count on them early is a little foolish.

Wildhog

I just don't want him sitting on the bench.  He needs to be on the field.  If the coaches feel he wouldn't contribute much at S, then keep him on O and give him a lot of touches. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2014, 03:09:02 pm
No, the HV logic was, we have a couple of good/quality, can start for most any SEC team RB's, the same can't be said at safety. We need more speed at safety, it just seems spring practice would have been a good time to see what he could do back there. We may have guys coming in, but to count on them early is a little foolish.

Korliss is a great safety because....?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 05, 2014, 03:06:44 pm
This is not logic used by anyone.

Why do posters think Korliss would be a great safety?

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wildhog

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:14:16 pm

Considering the coaches themselves were debating moving him to safety, it's a valid notion.  But you're right, there's no guarantee he'd even be a good safety.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

A few things possible with this scenario:

1.  The coaches see a need for a third running back, and KM fits the bill so he stays.
2.  The coaches have seen something that make them think he's better at RB than S.   
3.  He's not a good safety, so RB is the obvious position for him because of last year's success.

jabohog

When did Bielema say this? Anyone have a link?

ricepig

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:14:16 pm

Find it in there where I said he was great, I said spring practice would be a good time to see what he could do.

ricepig

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:14:52 pm

Why do you think Cabot's offense is innovative? Posters have opinions, and nobody said he would be great.......

jkstock04

Well with this news I expect we will see him get tons of touches this season. No doubt he's talented...obviously the coaches feel he will help more on offense.

Like someone else eluded, only way this could be construed a mistake is if he were to ride the bench majority of year AND we continue to struggle at safety. If that were the case it would seem like a waste.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2014, 03:25:59 pm
Why do you think Cabot's offense is innovative? Posters have opinions, and nobody said he would be great.......

Never said Cabot offense was innovative.

Posters have opinions. I agree. Why do some posters have the opinion that Korliss would be a great safety? Based on what he did as a runningback?

ricepig

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:31:43 pm

Posters have opinions. I agree. Why do some posters have the opinion that Korliss would be a great safety? Based on what he did as a runningback?

Probably due to speed and the same potential he has shown that he may be a "great" RB.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2014, 03:36:41 pm
Probably due to speed and the same potential he has shown that he may be a "great" RB.

Again

You agree with me despite trying to disagree with me.

Polecat

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 05, 2014, 02:08:58 pm
Yes, I remember Ash rushing like 3 on a Frosh QB in his own EZ.

One of the most bizarre and ridiculous defensive strategies right there. No blitz or pressure whatsoever by the Hogs that defensive series. Then when we get the ball back trailing, LSU immediately sends pressure on Allen and forces a turnover – that's how you play defense. I'll never understand what Ash was thinking there
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Pigsknuckles

Injuries can happen at any position, but we have not been fortunate in the RB department (ala Knile Davis, and Kiero Small). Best fill that stable with depth of observed quality.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Wildhog

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:51:51 pm
Again

You agree with me despite trying to disagree with me.

You realize we wouldn't be having this discussion if the coaches didn't see the validity of it, right?

Now, I tend to agree with you, but it's not a ridiculous discussion.
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:31:43 pm

Nobody has said he'd be a great safety. We KNOW he's extremely athletic and we were pooperrific at DB, so we need help there. If the coaches thought he could do it, then we were for it since it's a dire need. CBB coming out with this may indicate that he just isn't safety material (just speculation, of course).

But don't let that stop you from trolling...
Go away, batin'

HogWildBison2011

The only reason I can think of why CBB is comfortable with doing so is because we have good replacements coming up. While I agree we were very sub par last season in the secondary look at some of our returning players.

25     Alex Brignoni    S    6-1    202    RFr.    HS    Fayetteville, Ark. (Fayetteville HS)
7     Tiquention Coleman    S    5-10    195    Sr.    TR    Mauldin, S.C. (Georgia Military College) (Mauldin HS)
20     De'Andre Coley    S    6-1    177    RFr.    HS Miami, Fla. (Northwestern HS)
26     Rohan Gaines    S    5-11    195    Jr.    1L    Bainbridge, Ga. (Brainbridge HS)
33     Korliss Marshall    S    6-0    200    So.    HS    Osceola, Ark. (Osceola HS)
27     Alan Turner    S    6-0    200    Sr.    2L    Junction City, Ark. (Junction City HS)

Alex Brignoni showed excellent instincts in his game film, and seems to be a great tackler. He redshirted the past season. TQ Coleman is past the JUCO slump (hopefully). De'Andre got the Scout Team Defensive player of the year award from CBB. If Gaines can get a little more football IQ he will be ok. Alan turner came on strong at the end of the season... while it was less productive than desired I am not too worried about our S situation.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Polecat on March 05, 2014, 03:56:00 pm
One of the most bizarre and ridiculous defensive strategies right there. No blitz or pressure whatsoever by the Hogs that defensive series. Then when we get the ball back trailing, LSU immediately sends pressure on Allen and forces a turnover – that's how you play defense. I'll never understand what Ash was thinking there

Bright side is that he won't be bending our minds anymore.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on March 05, 2014, 04:00:36 pm
The only reason I can think of why CBB is comfortable with doing so is because we have good replacements coming up. While I agree we were very sub par last season in the secondary look at some of our returning players.

25     Alex Brignoni    S    6-1    202    RFr.    HS    Fayetteville, Ark. (Fayetteville HS)
7     Tiquention Coleman    S    5-10    195    Sr.    TR    Mauldin, S.C. (Georgia Military College) (Mauldin HS)
20     De'Andre Coley    S    6-1    177    RFr.    HS Miami, Fla. (Northwestern HS)
26     Rohan Gaines    S    5-11    195    Jr.    1L    Bainbridge, Ga. (Brainbridge HS)
33     Korliss Marshall    S    6-0    200    So.    HS    Osceola, Ark. (Osceola HS)
27     Alan Turner    S    6-0    200    Sr.    2L    Junction City, Ark. (Junction City HS)

Alex Brignoni showed excellent instincts in his game film, and seems to be a great tackler. He redshirted the past season. TQ Coleman is past the JUCO slump (hopefully). De'Andre got the Scout Team Defensive player of the year award from CBB. If Gaines can get a little more football IQ he will be ok. Alan turner came on strong at the end of the season... while it was less productive than desired I am not too worried about our S situation.

Brignoni is now a linebacker, per Bielema earlier today.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogWildBison2011

Wildhog

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on March 05, 2014, 04:03:34 pm
Link or source?

Premium link.  Source is Bret Bielema.

He gave a lot of updates at pro day.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Piggfoot

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 03:14:52 pm

Hogville hoping and projecting speed into the ability to think quickly.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

opineonswine

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 05, 2014, 02:12:41 pm
We need it, he has got break away speed.

I agree.  Too good at his position and gives us another weapon.

Peter Porker

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 05, 2014, 03:59:30 pm
Nobody has said he'd be a great safety. We KNOW he's extremely athletic and we were pooperrific at DB, so we need help there. If the coaches thought he could do it, then we were for it since it's a dire need. CBB coming out with this may indicate that he just isn't safety material (just speculation, of course).

But don't let that stop you from trolling...

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=553961.0

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=556647.100

Wildhog

He's fun to watch when he's got the ball, that's for sure.  You just see a blur.
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on March 05, 2014, 04:16:20 pm
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=553961.0

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=556647.100

I saw ONE guy call him "an NFL caliber free safety," but it appears he knows the family and has been following him for a while.

I didn't see anyone else call him a "great safety."

Granted, I didn't read all 6 pages, but I'm sure you will pull out some quotes by a few people that will prove that all of Hogville thinks he would be a great safety.
Go away, batin'

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: gohogs1969 on March 05, 2014, 01:53:11 pm
what year? ? ?

t-money

I wonder how good his hands are? Maybe he would be awesome in the slot? We need a good presence there. Sounds logical...
W. - What's
  I. -  Important
   N. -  Now

-Lou Holtz

azhog10

When has Korliss ever been hyped as an all star safety? I just ask because the main reason Korliss wanted to play D was because that's where the coaches thought he could get on the field fastest. Since he started getting touches, it became very clear that he has that breakaway speed none of our other RB's has. I am amazed at all these posts who have Marshall as the 1st Team All SEC Safety after having never played.

tophawg19

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 05, 2014, 02:10:19 pm
I'm not sure that you could say numbers are worse.  Maybe equal but we only have 4 RB that will play next year if you count Marshall.

Collins, Williams, Marshall, and Evans.  Day is almost a guarantee to RS coming off his knee injury and Walker was a FB at the end of the year.
Tim after watching Walker at RB last year , i think he either stays at RB or splits time . during the game when he got the chance , he was tough to stop. He and Marshall both stood out in that game . if you can go back and watch walker . He was much faster and  more explosive than in the past. ONLY way i can see him at FB is if we run the FB  more ALA Barry Foster . You would have to put in a package for him
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

you also have the option of spliting him out , which puts pressure on the defense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins