Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There goes SHannon connection

Started by holeinthewall, March 03, 2014, 09:38:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

holeinthewall

Ice Harris just hired by Miami as the liaison between Miami and all the HS coaches. His son is the new HC at BTW.

Ice Harris Re-Joins Football Staff

Official release from the University of Miami -

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The head coach of the reigning high school football national champions is returning to the Miami Hurricanes football program.

Tim "Ice" Harris has resigned his post as head football coach at Booker T. Washington High School (Miami) to join Al Golden's staff as Assistant Director of Football Operations. Harris will be the primary liaison with high school coaches. He will also assist in coordinating community service events for current student-athletes.

It is second stint as a member of the Miami football staff. He spent three seasons from 2008-10 as the assistant to the head coach, coordinating the football team's community relations projects as well as assisting in other day-to-day operations of the football program.

Harris has more than 24 years of high school coaching experience and returns to Miami after a second successful stint as the head coach of Booker T. Washington (2003-07, 2011-13), where he compiled a 99-10 record in eight seasons. He was named Florida Dairy Farm Florida Coach of the Year in 2012 and 2013 after guiding Booker T. Washington to back-to-back Class 4A state championships. Booker T. Washington finished No. 1 in the final MaxPreps national football rankings.

He also led the Tornadoes to the 2007 Class 4A state championship and a No. 8 national ranking. Harris was named the 2007 USA TODAY National Coach of the Year, Miami Herald Coach of the Year and South Florida Touchdown Club Coach of the Year. He also earned 2003, 2004 and 2006 Florida Dairy Farm Coach of the Year honors.

Harris worked at Miami High School from 1986-96 where he coached wide receivers and served as the offensive coordinator. He served as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Northwestern High School from 1997-98 and 2001-02. He was the offensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Miami Central High School from 1999-2000.

A native of Miami, Harris played three years as a defensive back at Carthage College in Kenosha, Wis. He and his wife, Chonita, have two sons – Brandon and Tim Jr. The Harris family has Hurricane ties: Brandon is a member of the Houston Texans and Tim Jr. was an All-American and ACC champion for Miami's men's track and field team.

The University of Miami has launched the $7 million Football Victory Fund to address the most important needs of the football program. There are a variety of ways to contribute to the Football Victory Fund as well as to Hurricanes Athletics. For more information on how you can donate and details of the pending projects, please call the Hurricane Club at 305-284-6699 or visit umvictoryfund.com.

For the latest information on the Miami Hurricanes, follow us on Twitter, @MiamiHurricanes, and check out the official football blog, www.theufootball.com. For the most accurate and up to date information delivered to your phone, download the official Miami Hurricanes app for your Droid or iPhone.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 03, 2014, 09:38:13 am
Ice Harris just hired by Miami as the liaison between Miami and all the HS coaches. His son is the new HC at BTW.
Sorry but just because of this move the Shannon connection isn't necessarily broken or damaged irreplaceably in the south Florida area. Consider that even with this hire UM can still only take 25 kids (normally) and the inroads we've been able to make down there still exist. Way too much talent for anyone to be totally shut out.

(notOM)Rebel123

He was on Shannon's staff at Miami. Not sure how Harris taking this job ends Shannon's connection. Wonder if the next Miami coach will keep him?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Razorhawg09

holeinthewall

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 03, 2014, 09:44:50 am
Sorry but just because of this move the Shannon connection isn't necessarily broken or damaged irreplaceably in the south Florida area. Consider that even with this hire UM can still only take 25 kids (normally) and the inroads we've been able to make down there still exist. Way too much talent for anyone to be totally shut out.

Your right. 2013 class got 2 highly rated players. 2014 though

Edwards 2 star no offers from the Big 3 in Florida.
Brown 2 star no offers from Big 3. Miami looked at him late but never offered.
Robinson who flipped late after FSU added 3 highly regarded WR in the last 2 weeks of recruiting
Floyd 3 star no offers from he Big 3.

Not trying to be negative but not like we stole the top talent this year. 

immahog

This helps UM.... it doesn't hurt our pipeline
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

immahog

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 03, 2014, 10:08:20 am

Robinson who flipped late after FSU added 3 highly regarded WR in the last 2 weeks of recruiting

The talent in Florida is on another level.... those guys would be top talent in this state... I mean Ty storey would be the #20th ranked player in Florida per 247
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Vantage 8 dude

Again, I'm trying to understand your point here. Even if we don't get the "prime studs" in the area just because Harris has been hired by UM how does this prove (in your words)"There goes the Shannon connection"? After all that was YOUR thread headline not anyone else's.

OnTheHillHogFan

You forgot Ramsey who Miami offered late and wanted him to visit but he didn't and Floyd was down to us or OU not a Florida school but still a top 10 program who recruits nationally.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

wholehog92

Didn't you just prove that this will then have no (or very little) future effect?  If we got the mid level talent before he arrived, Do you suddenly believe UM will start targeting mid level FL talent?

Misleading thread title is misleading.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HOGINTENNESSEE

If you think this hurts Shannon's connects you are stupid.

Most likely Ice Harris's son will take over as HC and Shannon has a great relationship him as well.

In addition, we have gotten more kids out of Northwestern in Miami so far.

Potosihog

So is this an indication that all the Ice rumors during our coaching search were not totally baseless?  Maybe the word was he was about to take a coaching job and someone thought it was with our staff when in reality it was Miami.  Or maybe it was in discussion and didn't happen so Miami thought they would grab him to keep anything like that from happening in the future? 

It helps Miami, not sure it hurts us a lot.  Losing Partidge probably hurt our FL recruiting more than anything.  I would say these two things could be a motivator for a refocus on Texas.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Close rivals, open 247. Kendrick had a Florida state offer. JoJo would have been a Seminole if not for them pulling in some elite receivers, so let's no act like he's trash. Brown had a michigan state offer, their defense is pretty solid. Floyd had an ou offer, solid defense top 15 program.

Wildhog

Quote from: Potosihog on March 03, 2014, 11:06:25 am
I would say these two things could be a motivator for a refocus on Texas.

I'm all for spending more time in Texas, but doing it at the expense of time in Florida is not a good idea.  We've got recruiters in Tejas.  They need to contribute more.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

(notOM)Rebel123

I would say these two things could be a motivator for a refocus on Texas.

I agree with the Partridge assessment. But surely we wouldn't reevaluate our recruiting strategy based solely on a high school coach taking an off-field position as Asst. Director of Football Operations?

holeinthewall

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 03, 2014, 11:05:47 am
If you think this hurts Shannon's connects you are stupid.

Most likely Ice Harris's son will take over as HC and Shannon has a great relationship him as well.

In addition, we have gotten more kids out of Northwestern in Miami so far.

You do realize Harris (The new HC) is a UM alum right?

QuoteAgain, I'm trying to understand your point here. Even if we don't get the "prime studs" in the area just because Harris has been hired by UM how does this prove (in your words)"There goes the Shannon connection"? After all that was YOUR thread headline not anyone else's.

Because some on here keep saying he will be able  to pull all these great top recruits out of South Florida. I just see it ever happening on a regular basis. There will always be some that want to go OOS juast like some kids in Arkansas do and there are 300 D1 signees in South Florida every year so there are always enough leftovers after the top programs get their pick for other schools to come in.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 03, 2014, 11:23:48 am

Because some on here keep saying he will be able  to pull all these great top recruits out of South Florida. I just see it ever happening on a regular basis. There will always be some that want to go OOS juast like some kids in Arkansas do and there are 300 D1 signees in South Florida every year so there are always enough leftovers after the top programs get their pick for other schools to come in.
Wait a second: not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. When you say "some on here keep saying he will be able to pull all these great top recruits out of South Florida" are you referring to RS? If so then I have to call a "b.s penalty" on that particular claim. I honestly don't recall any particular statement mentioning that. On the other hand, if you're NOT referencing Shannon then the original question holds true: what does Harris' hire at UM have to do with out ability to still capture some kids from the area? Unless I'm badly mistaken Randy is still connected to the staff and still has contacts and relationships down there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 03, 2014, 11:23:48 am

Yes an Alum that played for Shannon.

three hog night

I would be concerned if BTW was the only High School playing football in South Florida.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

yraciv

Quote from: three hog night on March 03, 2014, 12:17:08 pm
I would be concerned if BTW was the only High School playing football in South Florida.

And we didn't just strike out on all of their top prospects. I appreciate Kirkland but the drama from his cousin Chad Thomas soured me on the dream that Booker T could become a pipeline.

Hawgzinbowlz

The fact that "Ice Harris" takes an assistant coaching position at Miami should not move the needle on Coach Shannons ability to enter a recruits living room and successfully recruit South Florida players and their parents/guardians. Some players want to see new horizons, and these are the players we will continue to sign.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2013/02/10/randy-shannon-already-proving-worth-in-recruiting-for-arkansas-razorbacks/

" GO HOGS "

three hog night

Quote from: yraciv on March 03, 2014, 12:25:45 pm
And we didn't just strike out on all of their top prospects. I appreciate Kirkland but the drama from his cousin Chad Thomas soured me on the dream that Booker T could become a pipeline.

I traveled Florida in my past jobs and the kids down there are more media hungry and dramatic.  This is a necessary evil in signing kids from the big cities like Miami.   We will get the kids that want to get away from that world for a secure and safe setting.   Many of the Florida kids have commented about how different Fayetteville is and how they like the Mountains and scenery. 

Compared to another mountainous/scenic campus like Tenner, We are much cleaner, newer, modern and have Wal-Mart, Tyson, JB Hunt, etc.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MorrellHog on March 03, 2014, 12:28:47 pm
The fact that "Ice Harris" takes an assistant coaching position at Miami should not move the needle on Coach Shannons ability to enter a recruits living room and successfully recruit South Florida players and their parents/guardians. Some players want to see new horizons, and these are the players we will continue to sign.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2013/02/10/randy-shannon-already-proving-worth-in-recruiting-for-arkansas-razorbacks/

" GO HOGS "

He is the Assistant Director of Football Operations, not assistant coach.

http://um.hodesiq.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=3533042&user_id

ricepig

Quote from: yraciv on March 03, 2014, 12:25:45 pm

Kirkland's cousin was Demetrius Jackson.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 03, 2014, 12:33:53 pm
He is the Assistant Director of Football Operations, not assistant coach.

http://um.hodesiq.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=3533042&user_id
Thanks for the clarification.

The fact that "Ice Harris" takes a position as the Assistant Director of Football Operations will not have any significant effect on Coach Shannons ability to recruit South Florida.

" GO HOGS "

yraciv

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2014, 12:38:48 pm
Kirkland's cousin was Demetrius Jackson.

Yeah you're right. Jackson wasn't as dramatic as Thomas, but same position, same school, and they both ended up at the U.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MorrellHog on March 03, 2014, 12:40:39 pm
Thanks for the clarification.

The fact that "Ice Harris" takes a position as the Assistant Director of Football Operations will not have any significant effect on Coach Shannons ability to recruit South Florida.

" GO HOGS "

Ha! +1....I agree.

redeye

So is this an indication that all the Ice rumors during our coaching search were not totally baseless?  Maybe the word was he was about to take a coaching job and someone thought it was with our staff when in reality it was Miami.  Or maybe it was in discussion and didn't happen so Miami thought they would grab him to keep anything like that from happening in the future? 

It helps Miami, not sure it hurts us a lot.  Losing Partidge probably hurt our FL recruiting more than anything.  I would say these two things could be a motivator for a refocus on Texas.

Yea, or maybe we were going to hire him to take over for Hauser and Miami decided they needed to keep him home?  I wouldn't know, but if I were Miami, I don't think I'd want to compete against Shannon and Ice Harris in my backyard.

Either way, good for Harris!  Lot's of schools recruiting South Florida and his relationship with Shannon may continue to help us.

COACHINTEXAS

Good, now maybe the coaches will spend more time where they should have been spending more time in the first place and that's TEXAS.
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on March 03, 2014, 03:30:14 pm
Good, now maybe the coaches will spend more time where they should have been spending more time in the first place and that's TEXAS.

Yeah, Kirkland, Collins, Jo-Jo, Cornelius Floyd, Anthony brown, and randy Ramsey should be looked over.  This years group of south Fl kids is something we need year in and out! 

We have made a hire that will deepen Texas recruits while maintaining the Florida success, for now (hopefully we have Shannon for 2-3 more years).

redeye

As important as I think Texas is to us, I still can't agree with that sentiment.

Hoggish1

Ice moved over to a higher paying job and passed his HS position on to his son.

That's all this is about.  Miami has become a 3rd option, at best, within Florida schools for most of the best players down there.  FSU gets who they want, these days and Florida isn't far behind for the best studs. 

Miami struggles against those two but this year managed to hold onto a few more than usual.

MuskogeeHogFan

The hiring of Harris won't end the value of Shannon's name in s. Florida. Should help Miami,who by the way needs help, but Shannon's name is still bigger than that of Harris and it doesn't mean that every single s. Florida player will now gravitate to Miami. They have had that chance for quite some time now.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

Edwards was a three star and had an offer from FSU

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kendrick-Edwards-24159/RecruitInterests
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

While we do need to get more kids from Texas, I would put any of the top teams/talent from Florida over the top teams/talent from Texas any day of the week. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Southpointhog

This doesn't hurt us...just helps Miami.  Still not going to help Miami win!

Vantage 8 dude

Here's perhaps a novel idea: How about spending time in BOTH Florida and Texas? Perhaps we could actually have success in each?!

The_Bionic_Pig

Al Golden's offseason antics have not exactly endured him to the local fanbase with his flirtation with Penn St. (Interviewed while not retruning recruits phone calls)

They have BCS dreams in South Florida and a 5 Loss season will have his seat VERY HOT!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Choctaw Hog

Oh no!!!!!!!!!! Whatever will we do?

HoggusMaximus

Can someone with legitimate knowledge tell me what good "connections" really do? It's not like they tell a coach lets say from Kentucky, "sorry you don't know anyone here so you cannot see this player". I understand it might get someone a headstart, and it might make an extra voice saying "go to this school or that one". In the grand scheme of things it seems like having connections is overhyped. But I could be wrong. Again if anyone knows what the deal is let me know.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: wholehog92 on March 03, 2014, 11:05:27 am
Didn't you just prove that this will then have no (or very little) future effect?  If we got the mid level talent before he arrived, Do you suddenly believe UM will start targeting mid level FL talent?

Misleading thread title is misleading.
ha
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

The fact is that we are getting outgunned in Texas. We used to go in there and tell recruits that if they wanted to play in the sec we were the closest school to home. We did the same thing in the KC/St. Louis areas.

We can't do that anymore. Accept the fact that SEC expansion has been directly at our expense and prepare for the realities that will entail.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Break & Run

Hogville logic is horrible. "Omg, we need to recruit Texas more!!" But wait, isn't the SEC supreme to the Big XII? So if that is the case, how will we ever win the SEC with Big XII talent if the SEC dominates the Big XII?

See, Hogville logic is horrible.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Choctaw Hog

When you become the Head Coach at Arkansas you can make that call. Until then I'm very confident Bielema and staff will recruit where they think they have the best chance to sign the players they want like Hawaii, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, Florida, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and even far away places like Denmark.  That's a novel idea don't you think? 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on March 03, 2014, 05:44:07 pm
Can someone with legitimate knowledge tell me what good "connections" really do? It's not like they tell a coach lets say from Kentucky, "sorry you don't know anyone here so you cannot see this player". I understand it might get someone a headstart, and it might make an extra voice saying "go to this school or that one". In the grand scheme of things it seems like having connections is overhyped. But I could be wrong. Again if anyone knows what the deal is let me know.

It gives the low information posters another talking point to regurgitate. 

CDBHawg

Everybody also said that there was bad blood between Ice and Miami. Guess there isn't.

TMc

From what I understand, the kids that have some talent down there are so poorly developed that their ceilings for development are through the roof.  That's the reason so many coaches flock down there.  Probably the case with the majority of the players we got this year.

holeinthewall

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 03, 2014, 11:40:03 am
Yes an Alum that played for Shannon.

LMAO  You know he ran track at Miami. He didn't play football. His only connection to Shannon is through his Dad.