Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

ChicoHog

You guys ready for the Dodgers?  I was actually hoping to play the Pirates but we can beat the Cards (hopefully).  Dodgers have made playoffs I think 4 of last 7 years, won the first round every time but are 0-3 in NLCS.  Need to make it to the World Series this year.  Cards and Nats (probably) will be tough.  See you in LA on Friday. 

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 28, 2014, 08:16:39 pm
You guys ready for the Dodgers?  I was actually hoping to play the Pirates but we can beat the Cards (hopefully).  Dodgers have made playoffs I think 4 of last 7 years, won the first round every time but are 0-3 in NLCS.  Need to make it to the World Series this year.  Cards and Nats (probably) will be tough.  See you in LA on Friday.

How can You be a Dodgers fan? Yuck.

jrulz83

The Dodgers are the best team in baseball, their starting pitching is un-hittable, their offense is unstoppable. The Cardinals have no chance in this series. They can't hit, they can't pitch and they can't play defense. The Dodger will sweep this series.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 28, 2014, 09:42:36 pm
The Dodgers are the best team in baseball, their starting pitching is un-hittable, their offense is unstoppable. The Cardinals have no chance in this series. They can't hit, they can't pitch and they can't play defense. The Dodger will sweep this series.

There's no doubt about it.  If we had been matched up against anyone other than the Dodgers, we would have a shot.  Against them, we will get swept.  We're horrible and they're the best team in baseball.

The Hogfather

By the way, we have the best fans in baseball!  :)

jbell96

Not looking forward to facing LA in a short series because we will most likely have to beat Kershaw twice, if we are lucky to even get it to 5 games.

ChicoHog

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on September 28, 2014, 08:33:43 pm
How can You be a Dodgers fan? Yuck.
I was actually born in Indiana and when I was 5 (1966) my mom, my aunt and myself went to Southern California to visit my cousin who had moved there after graduating college.  He gave me a bunch of Dodger stuff (pennants, souveniers, Don Drysdale glove) and I was hooked.  Moved to Pennsylvania when I was 7 as my dad was transferred and never got into the Pirates and stayed a Dodger fan throughout the 70s.  Loved the Garvey, Russell, Lopes and Cey 8 year stretch in the infield.  Now I live in NoCal among Giants fans but still a diehard Dodger follower. 

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 29, 2014, 09:59:54 am
I was actually born in Indiana and when I was 5 (1966) my mom, my aunt and myself went to Southern California to visit my cousin who had moved there after graduating college.  He gave me a bunch of Dodger stuff (pennants, souveniers, Don Drysdale glove) and I was hooked.  Moved to Pennsylvania when I was 7 as my dad was transferred and never got into the Pirates and stayed a Dodger fan throughout the 70s.  Loved the Garvey, Russell, Lopes and Cey 8 year stretch in the infield.  Now I live in NoCal among Giants fans but still a diehard Dodger follower. 
I hope it's a good series. Hopefully a Cards series win.

jbell96

Just saw this on ESPN. It is pretty laughable that the Dodgers "rootability" is higher than ours. I just don't see how someone whose team is out of it is going to root for a team that spent $240 on their payroll this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11588762/mlb-root-why-playoffs

dhornjr1

PonderinHog

popcornhog

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 28, 2014, 08:16:39 pm

Christ -- the Pirates are the LAST team I'd want to play right now. They are the best team in baseball at the moment.

How bout Waino v Kershaw? Huge.
WPS

pigture perfect

I would agree popcorn. The Dodgers will be tough, but it's the best matchup for us. We won't beat anybody if we don't pack our bats. We need some very timely hitting.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 30, 2014, 12:15:14 am
I would agree popcorn. The Dodgers will be tough, but it's the best matchup for us. We won't beat anybody if we don't pack our bats. We need some very timely hitting.

Yeah game 1 (and 5 if necessary) will be won in all likelyhood in an inning with an error and or one key hit.

Waino has looked every bit as good as Kershaw of late. I expect game 1 to look a lot like game 2 of the NLCS last year (Kershaw v Wacha). A game which I was fortunate enough to attend. That was an amazing atmosphere.
WPS

The Hogfather

Quote from: popcornhog on September 30, 2014, 12:32:50 am
Yeah game 1 (and 5 if necessary) will be won in all likelyhood in an inning with an error and or one key hit.

Waino has looked every bit as good as Kershaw of late. I expect game 1 to look a lot like game 2 of the NLCS last year (Kershaw v Wacha). A game which I was fortunate enough to attend. That was an amazing atmosphere.

I can't wait to see game 1!  Grabbing that one would be big!

There's no way we win that game, though.  We're the worst team in baseball.  We can't hit and our pitching is overrated.  Might as well not even travel.

ChicoHog

Quote from: popcornhog on September 29, 2014, 10:33:37 pm
Christ -- the Pirates are the LAST team I'd want to play right now. They are the best team in baseball at the moment.

How bout Waino v Kershaw? Huge.
You are right about the Pirates.  They just don't seem to have the magic that st Louis always does.  Cards always seem to play better in the playoffs and are experienced as an organization. 

There was a game earlier this year in LA on a Thursday night where Wainwright was against Kershaw and it was a great game.  Cards made a couple mistakes one inning and that was it.  We are probably looking at a 2-1 game on Friday. 

pigture perfect

The key, obviously, is to get to these guys early. If you do, you might put up crooked numbers. If not, they seem to get better as the game goes..
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ChicoHog

Dodgers are worst comeback team in baseball.  have won only 2 games all year when trailing after 7 innings and zero when trailing after 8.  Plus our bullpen is mediocre at best except for Jansen. 

jbell96

Times have been announced for the first two games in LA.

Game 1 is on Friday at 5:37 CST & Game 2 Saturday will be at 8:37 CST.

ChicoHog

Quote from: jbell96 on September 30, 2014, 11:06:08 am
Times have been announced for the first two games in LA.

Game 1 is on Friday at 5:37 CST & Game 2 Saturday will be at 8:37 CST.
All NL games on Fox sports 1 or MLB network. Fox Sports1 is their new network that they introduced a year ago to compete with ESPN.  DirecTV channel 219.  Hope everyone can watch it.  I have a feeling many viewers will have trouble finding it. 

clutch

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 30, 2014, 09:22:29 pm
All NL games on Fox sports 1 or MLB network. Fox Sports1 is their new network that they introduced a year ago to compete with ESPN.  DirecTV channel 219.  Hope everyone can watch it.  I have a feeling many viewers will have trouble finding it. 

I just hope they don't go stupid and start having day games again this year. That ticked me off so bad last year. Postseason baseball should be played at night.

ChicoHog

Quote from: clutch on October 01, 2014, 07:03:15 am
I just hope they don't go stupid and start having day games again this year. That ticked me off so bad last year. Postseason baseball should be played at night.
Of course there are day game because MLB does not want games on at same time competing with each other.  Friday the Nats game is at 10 am pacific.  Dodgers is 330 pacific.  Why not have one on at 5 pacific, 8 eastern?  I don;t get it.

DeltaBoy

The Red Birds are on FIRE!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jrulz83

mhuff

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 01, 2014, 11:16:54 am
Good read from Goold about "The Trade":

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/the-trade-that-shook-cardinals-clubhouse/article_55e3bc81-0102-5411-9559-976c2696b9be.html

Can you summarize please. So often I get articles and they are blackened out. This is one I would like to get the gist of info.

mhuff

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 30, 2014, 09:28:26 am
You are right about the Pirates.  They just don't seem to have the magic that st Louis always does.  Cards always seem to play better in the playoffs and are experienced as an organization. 

There was a game earlier this year in LA on a Thursday night where Wainwright was against Kershaw and it was a great game.  Cards made a couple mistakes one inning and that was it.  We are probably looking at a 2-1 game on Friday. 

Hopefully the Cards are the 2.  We just need to jump on them early.

jrulz83

Quote from: mhuff on October 01, 2014, 01:45:05 pm
Can you summarize please. So often I get articles and they are blackened out. This is one I would like to get the gist of info.

I'll give you the gist and a couple paragraphs, it talks about the impact of the trade of Kelly and Craig both on the field and on clubhouse psyche. The interesting thing that I took from it: the trade was followed by an increase in winning percentage from .528 to .607. The largest increase following any Mozeliak trade:

QuoteBy the bottom line measure of team success, the Craig/Lackey trade yielded the highest increase in winning percentage of any playoff team Mozeliak has constructed. His 2009 trade for Matt Holliday offered the biggest name and the biggest bang, but that club went from winning at a .531 clip to a 39-25 (.609) finish. Its lead swelled from 1 ½ games to 7 ½ games. Mozeliak's 2011 trade that sent Colby Rasmus to Toronto was celebrated for how it reshaped a pitching staff that excelled in October. But that team went from a half game up to eight back by seasons end, its winning percentage going from .533 before the trade to .603 after.

It also had a pretty substantial impact on the starting pitching, from the article:

QuoteThat afternoon, hours after the July 31 that sent his best man Kelly to Boston, Shelby Miller pitched the first of the eight quality starts he had after the break. He said when he saw Kelly leave the room he realized he was "this close" to being traded and stressed he wanted to be "the first-round pick who stays." Miller's improvement coupled with Lackey's addition gave the Cardinals a boost of consistency. Before the deadline, 53 percent of the Cardinals' games began with a quality start of at least six innings and no more than three earned runs. After, the Cardinals had 34 quality starts, or 62 percent of their games.

It also talks about the impact on right field:

QuoteCraig's departure streamlined the lineup. Officials with the team said just days before the trade that they intended to play Craig despite his prolonged slump because they trusted his past success. His absence meant more playing time for Oscar Taveras and, as October approaches, the surging Randal Grichuk. The improvement is significant. The Cardinals had a right field position that was the weakest in the league with a .217 average, a .321 slugging percentage, a .589 OPS, 10 homers, and 58 RBIs in the first 107 games. After the trade, right field hasn't been a boom position, but it's been better. The right fielders, led by Taveras in playing time, have hit .269 with a .356 slugging percentage and a .669 OPS.

pigture perfect

It basically explained how the trade came as a surprise and some of the team didn't like it, but since the trade the teams winning percentage has improved because it motivated certain players.

Horsesrus

Wacha will come out of the bullpen according to local news today. Didn't mention whether Lackey or Miller go in game 3. They guessed Pyrzinski and Ellis get left off roster on Friday. 

jrulz83

Quote from: Horsesrus on October 01, 2014, 08:37:38 pm
Wacha will come out of the bullpen according to local news today. Didn't mention whether Lackey or Miller go in game 3. They guessed Pyrzinski and Ellis get left off roster on Friday.

Lackey gets game three, Miller game four if necessary, that of course could change. I thought they may take Pierzynski as a pinch hitting option, but according to hardball talk he's off:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/01/cardinals-leave-a-j-pierzynski-jason-motte-off-nlds-roster/

pigture perfect

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 01, 2014, 10:10:40 pm
Pittsburgh is dead.

Tough game to get in to. I hate both of those teams but somewhat surprisingly, I have less hate in my heart for the Pirates than the Giants. Can y'all imagine the media if it's LA vs SF in the NLCS? They'll be orgasmic. If it's an all LA World Series I'll have to contemplate going to the mountains and living a life of seclusion until sometime next summer.

Of course Pujols vs St. Louis would be pretty awful too.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 01, 2014, 10:35:25 pm
Tough game to get in to. I hate both of those teams but somewhat surprisingly, I have less hate in my heart for the Pirates than the Giants. Can y'all imagine the media if it's LA vs SF in the NLCS? They'll be orgasmic. If it's an all LA World Series I'll have to contemplate going to the mountains and living a life of seclusion until sometime next summer.

Of course Pujols vs St. Louis would be pretty awful too.

We could have the following "all" something World Series:

All Cali (SF v Angels);

All Missouri (Royals v Cards)

All Beltway (Nats v O's)

All LA (Dodgers v Angels)
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on October 01, 2014, 11:50:25 pm
We could have the following "all" something World Series:

All Cali (SF v Angels);

All Missouri (Royals v Cards)

All Beltway (Nats v O's)

All LA (Dodgers v Angels)

All terrible in their own way.

pigture perfect

I definitely am hoping that all the Cali teams go down. Especially the NL ones. I ISD to like the dodgers in the Steve Garvey/Ron Cey days. I liked Willie McCovey, but I really hate the Giants for some reason.

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on October 01, 2014, 07:03:15 am

Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember day World Series games. I think the Cardinals played in the last day World Series game in 1982.

If you go back and watch some of those World Series games in the 60's, I think they were all day games.

ChicoHog

The hated Midgets whipped the Pirates yesterday but at least their best pitcher can't pitch again until probably game 3.  I'm not a Nationals fan and it may be better for the Dodgers or Cardinals if the Giants win (home field advantage) but I can't root for them. 

DeltaBoy

Go Red Birds poop on those nasty Dodgers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mhuff

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 01, 2014, 02:09:04 pm
I'll give you the gist and a couple paragraphs, it talks about the impact of the trade of Kelly and Craig both on the field and on clubhouse psyche. The interesting thing that I took from it: the trade was followed by an increase in winning percentage from .528 to .607. The largest increase following any Mozeliak trade:

It also had a pretty substantial impact on the starting pitching, from the article:

It also talks about the impact on right field:

Thanks for the info. I can't understand why I am blackened out.

jrulz83

Here's the NLDS roster, no major surprises:

Pitchers (12): Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, John Lackey, Shelby Miller, Michael Wacha, Marco Gonzales, Randy Choate, Sam Freeman, Seth Maness, Carlos Martinez, Pat Neshek, Trevor Rosenthal.

Catchers (2): Yadier Molina, Tony Cruz

Infielders (6): Matt Adams, Kolten Wong, Jhonny Peralta, Matt Carpenter, Daniel Descalso, Pete Kozma.

Outfielders (5): Matt Holliday, Jon Jay, Randal Grichuk, Peter Bourjos, Oscar Taveras.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 02, 2014, 04:29:48 pm
Here's the NLDS roster, no major surprises:

Pitchers (12): Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, John Lackey, Shelby Miller, Michael Wacha, Marco Gonzales, Randy Choate, Sam Freeman, Seth Maness, Carlos Martinez, Pat Neshek, Trevor Rosenthal.

Catchers (2): Yadier Molina, Tony Cruz

Infielders (6): Matt Adams, Kolten Wong, Jhonny Peralta, Matt Carpenter, Daniel Descalso, Pete Kozma.

Outfielders (5): Matt Holliday, Jon Jay, Randal Grichuk, Peter Bourjos, Oscar Taveras.
It's too bad that Siegrist couldn't get his act together in time for postseason.

pigture perfect

David Freese making noise in the postseason again.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 02, 2014, 09:37:48 pm
David Freese making noise in the postseason again.

One of my friends was just saying that the Anaheim Cardinals are gonna be a tough out for our home town Royals. Haha
WPS

ChicoHog

Are you Cardinal fans Royals fans also?  Roughly same geographical area and even closer to NW Arkansas than St. Louis is. Or maybe you don't like them after they won the World series in 85.   I am kind of rooting for them since it's been so long that they have been in the playoffs. 

pigture perfect

Cardinal fans first. Wife from KC. Nephews work for the Royals org.

popcornhog

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 02, 2014, 10:17:35 pm
Are you Cardinal fans Royals fans also?  Roughly same geographical area and even closer to NW Arkansas than St. Louis is. Or maybe you don't like them after they won the World series in 85.   I am kind of rooting for them since it's been so long that they have been in the playoffs.

Cardinals fan 1st and foremost. I moved to KC for a promotion about a year ago and have sort of adopted the Royals as my AL team. They're fun to watch.

I've been to several Royals games this year but I've worn my Cardinals hat to every game.
WPS

jbell96

Even though the Royals gave me my first kick in the nuts as a sports fan back in 1985, I hope they do well. Big win over the Angels last night. I fell asleep before it was over.

dhornjr1

I like the Royals  less than I like having a root canal.