Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on September 16, 2014, 10:04:55 am
Um, they are playing tonight. I know this because I am going.

Looked at a schedule and saw Wed. I shouldn't have taken such a cursory look. I mean Monday off on a schedule is usually max. I ended up watching it from home.

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on September 17, 2014, 09:28:13 am
Was it the one where Parra reached into the crowd to catch a Carpenter foul ball? I had good seats last night, but the view from where we were sitting obstructed the view down the line.

By the way, I hate that guy, I lost count of how many defensive gems he had last night.

Two too many for sure.

pigture perfect

I'm posting to jinx Mike Fiers no hitter so far against the Cards. He is mowing us down pretty good. Positive news is that Waino is pitching and hasn't given up a run yet.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Hogfather

Good job on the jinx.  Our offense still sucks.

jrulz83

Holliday showing the wheels!!!
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

dhornjr1

Obviously, Pittsburgh is never going to lose again.

pigture perfect

Whew! We stole one back for last night. Pittsburgh gets these guys in a couple of days. hopefully they split and we beat teams we are supposed to beat.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 17, 2014, 09:54:33 pm
Whew! We stole one back for last night. Pittsburgh gets these guys in a couple of days. hopefully they split and we beat teams we are supposed to beat.

Hopefully a hole opens in the earth under PNC Park and swallows both of those teams....

popcornhog

7 hits
9 K's
2 walks

Complete game shutout.

Waino is back, if there was any doubt.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

jbell96

Waino was great last night, only had one inning where he got into trouble. Was hoping he'd get a Maddux, CG SHO with less than a 100 pitches, but Parra's 10 pitch at bat nixed that plan.

The offensive struggles are really concerning to me. We only had 2-3 guys that effectively work counts and have good at bats. (Carpenter & Holliday) Wong isn't exactly on fire right now, but starting Descalso at 2nd in the middle of a playoff chase should not happen, also don't like that Oscar is spending so much time on the bench. Bourjos has cooled off at the plate so there is no reason not to put Oscar back in the lineup.

popcornhog

Quote from: jbell96 on September 18, 2014, 10:37:05 am
Waino was great last night, only had one inning where he got into trouble. Was hoping he'd get a Maddux, CG SHO with less than a 100 pitches, but Parra's 10 pitch at bat nixed that plan.

The offensive struggles are really concerning to me. We only had 2-3 guys that effectively work counts and have good at bats. (Carpenter & Holliday) Wong isn't exactly on fire right now, but starting Descalso at 2nd in the middle of a playoff chase should not happen, also don't like that Oscar is spending so much time on the bench. Bourjos has cooled off at the plate so there is no reason not to put Oscar back in the lineup.

It's been UP and DOWN all year at the plate.

If Wong/Bourjos/Adams/Tavaris or some combination thereof is hot, we're in business. If not -- well . . .

Having Jay hit well in the post season will be key too. It would be nice to see Matt Adams go on a long ball streak again like when he came back from injury, too.

Hitting has been so streaky this year.
WPS

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on September 18, 2014, 10:37:05 am

I actually think Wong would have caught the ball in right field that scored the tying run in the game before last. I know Descalso is batting well lately ,but I think Wong plays a better second base and has some pop in his bat.

jbell96

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 11:16:45 am
It's been UP and DOWN all year at the plate.

If Wong/Bourjos/Adams/Tavaris or some combination thereof is hot, we're in business. If not -- well . . .

Having Jay hit well in the post season will be key too. It would be nice to see Matt Adams go on a long ball streak again like when he came back from injury, too.

Hitting has been so streaky this year.

Offense has been streaky, but there are really only 3 guys that I have complete confidence in at the plate right now. Carpenter, Holliday, & Peralta. Everyone else is hit or miss.

jbell96

Quote from: mhuff on September 18, 2014, 12:22:36 pm
I actually think Wong would have caught the ball in right field that scored the tying run in the game before last. I know Descalso is batting well lately ,but I think Wong plays a better second base and has some pop in his bat.

You mean the winning run? Tying run scored on a sac fly to left. That game winning hit on Tuesday was just hit where nobody could get it, off the bat it looked like trouble. If he had made the play he'd have been on Sportscenter.

mhuff

Rosey is either feast or famine. Hard to get down on a pitcher with that many saves. I don't care if it's Little League. You just can't walk batters and not expect to pay for it. His MO has been to walk the first batter in the inning and give up a hit to the second..... So, he's behind the eight ball from the get. You can't defend against a walk. It takes the defense out of the equation. Then on the flip side he may just strike out the side. I hate to see a pitcher throw his heart out and then have his efforts given away. I bet Rosey hates it as well.

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on September 18, 2014, 12:27:37 pm
You mean the winning run? Tying run scored on a sac fly to left. That game winning hit on Tuesday was just hit where nobody could get it, off the bat it looked like trouble. If he had made the play he'd have been on Sportscenter.

I think Wong was on Sportscenter lately for such a catch. I think he could have gotten to it.

jrulz83

It was good to see Wainwright in good form last night. He scattered quite a few hits, but the Brewers couldn't dent the scoreboard. The Cardinals offense has been asleep, but I take the optimist view of facing pitchers that have historically been tough on them. Maybe Lohse will get shelled tonight like he did the last time he faced the Cardinals. I think we see Taveras get a start in right against Lohse tonight.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 18, 2014, 01:29:16 pm
It was good to see Wainwright in good form last night. He scattered quite a few hits, but the Brewers couldn't dent the scoreboard. The Cardinals offense has been asleep, but I take the optimist view of facing pitchers that have historically been tough on them. Maybe Lohse will get shelled tonight like he did the last time he faced the Cardinals. I think we see Taveras get a start in right against Lohse tonight.

Take away the 4th inning & Waino had zero trouble last night. I laughed when they showed Overbay on 1st last night imitating what Waino's curveball was doing. I hope Oscar starts tonight as well. Bourjos & Jay have cooled off at the plate recently so we should see more Oscar over the next week and a half.

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on September 18, 2014, 03:17:54 pm
Take away the 4th inning & Waino had zero trouble last night. I laughed when they showed Overbay on 1st last night imitating what Waino's curveball was doing. I hope Oscar starts tonight as well. Bourjos & Jay have cooled off at the plate recently so we should see more Oscar over the next week and a half.

Yeah, whoever is hot with the bat. Still, Taveras is doing extremely well as a PH. Bourjos sure covers a lot of ground in CF. Grichuk was hitting well lately. I would like to see some power in the lineup. Last night we only had 3 hits, so anyone who can hit would be an improvement. This is the wrong time of the year to go cold at the plate. I can not see putting in someone who can't stand up to the litmus test. Jay has been about a .300 hitter the last few years. Unless you are replacing him for defensive purposes, I have a hard time taking him out. Often times he gets multiple hits. We need hitting badly and numbers talk to me loudly.

pigture perfect

Boston sux this year, I don't look to get any help from them tonight. Lohse seems to do well against everybody but us, so hopefully we pick up a game tonight in the magic number watch. Wish it would be 2, but I won't hold my breath.

pigture perfect

Our offense is Turble, Turble, Turble. Not good for my ulcers.

jrulz83

FINALLY!!! Magic Number is now 8.

pigture perfect

Whew, glad that's over. I think you can count the Brewers out at this point. Hope they can sweep the Pirates though.

dhornjr1

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 18, 2014, 11:49:42 pm
Whew, glad that's over. I think you can count the Brewers out at this point. Hope they can sweep the Pirates though.

I'm sure they'll roll over and play dead for Pittsburgh just like Boston did.

jbell96

I had planned on going to bed early last night, so I could get to work early & leave early, but thanks to Mathenaging in the bottom of the 9th, it went four innings longer than it should have. :)

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on September 19, 2014, 10:18:08 am
I had planned on going to bed early last night, so I could get to work early & leave early, but thanks to Mathenaging in the bottom of the 9th, it went four innings longer than it should have. :)

Having Bourjos trying to bunt after the Molina double was dumb. I'm fine with bunting somebody first to second, but second to third when you have a speedy pinch runner on is giving away an out to me. Second base is scoring position I think!

sooiepig_12

Anybody making the trip up this weekend?

The Hogfather

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
Having Bourjos trying to bunt after the Molina double was dumb. I'm fine with bunting somebody first to second, but second to third when you have a speedy pinch runner on is giving away an out to me. Second base is scoring position I think!

Completely agree.

dhornjr1

I wouldn't mind it with a guy who is a great bunter, like Ozzie Smith. Is Bourjos considered a good bunter?

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on September 19, 2014, 01:58:34 pm
I wouldn't mind it with a guy who is a great bunter, like Ozzie Smith. Is Bourjos considered a good bunter?

Supposedly he is, but I think there is a less than 10% increase in odds of scoring from second and no outs versus third and 1 out, that's not worth giving away the out to me. I understand that there are the two schools of thought on sacrifice bunting. I kind of fall in the middle on it. There are times to do it but no outs and a man on second isn't the right time to me, unless you have a pitcher in the box that has no chance at the plate.

If you like a little statistics, this is an "interesting" read on the subject of bunting:

http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/downloads/0534094929_46534.pdf

jrulz83

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 19, 2014, 02:20:20 pm
Supposedly he is, but I think there is a less than 10% increase in odds of scoring from second and no outs versus third and 1 out, that's not worth giving away the out to me. I understand that there are the two schools of thought on sacrifice bunting. I kind of fall in the middle on it. There are times to do it but no outs and a man on second isn't the right time to me, unless you have a pitcher in the box that has no chance at the plate.

If you like a little statistics, this is an "interesting" read on the subject of bunting:

dhornjr1

I would like to have a guy at third with one out for a couple of reasons.

One, the infield will have to be brought in.

Two, a medium range fly ball most likely gets the run home.

Also, there is the slight chance of a passed ball or a wild pitch.

I get what you're saying about not giving up the out. My dad was the same way. But, I do like the odds of having that guy at third with one out.

jrulz83

Nice win tonight, great job by Lackey. Rosenthal still cannot throw strikes. Magic Number: 7

pigture perfect

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 19, 2014, 09:54:06 pm
Nice win tonight, great job by Lackey. Rosenthal still cannot throw strikes. Magic Number: 7
Magic number for making the playoffs is 2, but I want the division. Lackey did do a nice job, but our offense was out hit again and we stole another. I wish I didn't care so much.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Milwaukee wasted a great start by Gallardo by putting in Broxton who promptly gave up a 3 run homer and lost it.  He makes Rosenthal look like an all star.  It would've been nice if they could've risen to the occasion and played spoiler to the pirates

pigture perfect

Yep, there's a reason the dodgers let Broxton go. Pirates are the hottest team in the NL right now.

pigture perfect

Yadi starting at 1st tonight. Getting T. Cruz some PT.

jrulz83

Starting Cruz was the right move. 3 run jack.

dhornjr1

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on September 20, 2014, 09:47:59 pm
Pittsburgh CAN lose!

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause.  :)

Magic number for the division is 5

pigture perfect

Great night all around. Just what we needed.

popcornhog

That's my gut reaction I that situation too, but honestly with one out its a tough call.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on September 21, 2014, 02:50:28 pm
That's my gut reaction I that situation too, but honestly with one out its a tough call.

There were no outs at the time. I just think that, with Pham pinch running, there is not enough to gain by giving that out away. With Pham's speed on second base it is a sure run on nearly any hit. I know, Matheny was only playing for one run and a past ball or sac fly wins it from third, but how many past ball/wild pitches do you see in MLB? They are fairly rare, for that matter, the sac fly is not what I would call common.

I'm not a never bunt guy, I think it's a good play in the right situation. No outs in the bottom of the ninth with a man on second is not the right time for it in my opinion. The fun thing about baseball is you can have success either way you look at that play.

jrulz83

Cardinals clinched a playoff spot without firing a shot, so to speak. The Brewers loss to the Pirates today assured at least a Wild Card spot, now to get the division title secured. Go Cards!

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is the first time in team history to make the playoffs for four consecutive years.

clutch

Great to clinch a spot today, bout I could have waited if it would have meant a Buccos loss. Hopefully they are about to flame out. Postseason is going to hit right about the time we hit a hot streak again I think. Looking forward to another postseason run. Nothing like October baseball.

mhuff

Good read....Thanks

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 21, 2014, 03:34:13 pm
There were no outs at the time. I just think that, with Pham pinch running, there is not enough to gain by giving that out away. With Pham's speed on second base it is a sure run on nearly any hit. I know, Matheny was only playing for one run and a past ball or sac fly wins it from third, but how many past ball/wild pitches do you see in MLB? They are fairly rare, for that matter, the sac fly is not what I would call common.

I'm not a never bunt guy, I think it's a good play in the right situation. No outs in the bottom of the ninth with a man on second is not the right time for it in my opinion. The fun thing about baseball is you can have success either way you look at that play.

Wow -- I just re-read my post and it made zero sense. I was in a train at the airport as I was typing and I guess I was distracted. Haha
WPS

jbell96

Last night sucked. One run game & Matheny was running out pitchers that won't be on the postseason roster. We are still fighting for the division & we have a chance to pass the Dodgers and get home field for the NLDS against them. Last night was not the time to have the little league mentality to let everyone play.

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on September 22, 2014, 09:42:22 am
Last night sucked. One run game & Matheny was running out pitchers that won't be on the postseason roster. We are still fighting for the division & we have a chance to pass the Dodgers and get home field for the NLDS against them. Last night was not the time to have the little league mentality to let everyone play.

Thought the same. One run behind and you pull that trick out of the hat. They would not have done that in the minor leagues. They would have least held off to see if we were going to tie the game or go ahead. When you are the coach, you can do whatever you want as long as you are the coach.Sorry for the young man that went in. Perhaps he will have a better picture of what the big leagues are all about. Perhaps Matheney will learn something as well. That move sent the wrong message to the team imho. Let the kid pitch when we are ahead 10-0 in the eighth.