Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: jbell96 on August 21, 2014, 09:47:03 am
So glad we beat Cueto last night, but not glad that our defense decided to make the game way more interesting than it should have been. Still, glad we got a sweep, and we get a day off so we can skip Shelby's spot in the rotation. :)

And I want to add this, Lance Lynn is becoming a stud. He worked his butt off in the off season to get stronger physically & mentally. He has been our best starter over the past 3 months & is really developing a bulldog mentality on the mound. So glad to see him finally harness his talent this year.

The past two years he's shown what he was capable of in the first half of the season. Glad to see him finally be able to carry it over to the last half of the season this year. I figured it was only a matter of time.

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

jbell96

Quote from: mhuff on August 21, 2014, 06:45:27 pm
+1
Oh, I agree with that. I hope some of the power bats from the minors help some before the year is over. I really am wondering why they have not been up before. Hitting has been so anemic ,and there are a couple of players that have to be brought up or possibly lose them.

The guys that are tearing it up now, Scruggs & Pham, aren't on the 40 man roster so that is why they haven't been up yet. They will likely get moved on to it soon or they will become minor league free agents after the season. The way they've been playing this year, it is almost certain another team would sign them.

jbell96

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on August 22, 2014, 10:23:41 am
The guys that are tearing it up now, Scruggs & Pham, aren't on the 40 man roster so that is why they haven't been up yet. They will likely get moved on to it soon or they will become minor league free agents after the season. The way they've been playing this year, it is almost certain another team would sign them.

Those are the guys I was talking about...... throw in Piscotty.... maybe another. I know they are not on the 40 man. There's debate on when they come.... Memphis AAA has surged lately to first place or was a couple of days ago.

pigture perfect

Cards pull within half game of Brewers with the win tonight. I'm amazed that as badly as we've played this year that we are still in this thiing. The Reds and Pirates are supposed to be a little better than they're playing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbell96

Had a great opportunity to gain ground on the Brewers, but instead lost 2 of 3 to the lowly Phillies. Losing series to bad teams happen from time to time, but the way that it happened was just disappointing.

I know we won Saturday night, but Matheny's mismanagement of the bullpen that night was comical. Randy Choate is a 1 inning pitcher & lefties are hitting Neshek at a paltry .144 clip. So of course we leave Choate in long enough in the 8th for the lead to evaporate. Had to play 3 extra innings to get a win and it cost Shelby a well deserved victory.

I think it is safe to rule the Masterson trade a flop. He just doesn't have it anymore. Hopefully Wacha can come back soon so we can relegate Masterson to the bullpen.

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on August 25, 2014, 09:49:43 am
Had a great opportunity to gain ground on the Brewers, but instead lost 2 of 3 to the lowly Phillies. Losing series to bad teams happen from time to time, but the way that it happened was just disappointing.

I know we won Saturday night, but Matheny's mismanagement of the bullpen that night was comical. Randy Choate is a 1 inning pitcher & lefties are hitting Neshek at a paltry .144 clip. So of course we leave Choate in long enough in the 8th for the lead to evaporate. Had to play 3 extra innings to get a win and it cost Shelby a well deserved victory.

I think it is safe to rule the Masterson trade a flop. He just doesn't have it anymore. Hopefully Wacha can come back soon so we can relegate Masterson to the bullpen.

Choate was supposed to be a one batter or maybe one inning pitcher. I can remember that not working in the past...... same outcome. When a pitcher does not have his stuff, he has got to be pulled. Otherwise, not fair to starting pitcher or team.

pigture perfect

We better play much better against Pitt, Milwaukee gets the Padres and that should be at least 2 wins for them.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Nice job by Lackey tonight. Rosenthal was, as always, a bit of an adventure. Thankfully 3 runs was enough, and the defense was able to get 4 very timely double plays.

pigture perfect

Lackey was shaky in the first inning, but you're right. After the first he looked pretty good.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 25, 2014, 09:44:53 pm
Lackey was shaky in the first inning, but you're right. After the first he looked pretty good.

Yeah, he was shaky in the first, but he got that great play from Wong on the double play turn and never seemed rattled again. How many pitchers have you seen that if you don't get to them in the first, you never will?

jbell96

Great win last night. That DP turn by Wong in the first was huge & after that, Lackey only made one bad pitch.

sooiepig_12

Molina and Wacha reporting to Springfield.  Molina could appear as soon as Wednesday.

jbell96

Yep, Yadi is participating in team workouts today & Wacha is going to throw live BP tomorrow. We need them both back in the worst way.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbell96 on August 26, 2014, 11:52:38 am
Yep, Yadi is participating in team workouts today & Wacha is going to throw live BP tomorrow. We need them both back in the worst way.

Understatement!

jbell96

Also, Grichuk is likely to get called up since Shane Robinson hurt his shoulder sliding into 2nd base last night. Grichuk got pulled early from last night's Redbirds game so it might be safe to assume he's taking Robinson's spot on the 25 man roster.

jbell96

I really think Matheny is trying to troll Cardinal fans. Reason being I can't see why on earth he'd lift Sam Freeman after an easy 5 pitch inning, or better yet, leave Seth Maness in to face a left handed power guy that is 3-30 against lefty pitchers this year.

pigture perfect

Baseball managing is a lot about playing hunches. I believe Matheny is still learning to figure things out.

jbell96

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 27, 2014, 10:19:08 am
Baseball managing is a lot about playing hunches. I believe Matheny is still learning to figure things out.

I kind of agree he's still trying to figure things out, but Maness had already given up two hits in the inning & Choate was ready in the bullpen. Also, Freeman has been filthy against right handed hitters this year & had only thrown 5 pitches to get 3 outs in the 7th. There is no reason he shouldn't have started the 8th. Especially when it was looking like a possible extra inning game where we'd likely have to use a lot of our pen.

His mismanagement in close games has been an issue since he took the job. It has just been hidden in the previous 2 years because of how good our team has performed.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on August 27, 2014, 10:41:59 am
I kind of agree he's still trying to figure things out, but Maness had already given up two hits in the inning & Choate was ready in the bullpen. Also, Freeman has been filthy against right handed hitters this year & had only thrown 5 pitches to get 3 outs in the 7th. There is no reason he shouldn't have started the 8th. Especially when it was looking like a possible extra inning game where we'd likely have to use a lot of our pen.

His mismanagement in close games has been an issue since he took the job. It has just been hidden in the previous 2 years because of how good our team has performed.

I do agree that Freeman needed a longer rope. If you bring in Choate I bet Hurdle brings a right handed hitter in, something you do not want Choate facing. Either way Matheny screwed it up, as he has many times before. The problem is he has leaned on Rosenthal and Neshek too hard this year. Their overuse has disrupted the entire flow of the bullpen at this point in the season because one or both of them are unavailable a lot of the time.

My biggest question is why Carlos Martinez is being essentially wasted as a long man? Put him in the rotation that has been floundering, or let him pitch in higher leverage situations. The way it stands now he is being wasted.

mhuff

Quote from: jbell96 on August 27, 2014, 10:41:59 am

That's a fact Jack. He is just learning and does not make the decisions an experienced manager would make. When you have a lead, it is time to put your foot on their neck and get out asap with a win.

McKdaddy

I'm not going to gripe, lest the resident Braves' fan call me spoiled, so here's something positive...help is coming soon via Molina, and maybe Wacha!
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jbell96

August 28, 2014, 09:57:43 am #673 Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:04:22 am by jbell96
Yadi caught 6 innings in Springfield last night & went 2-3 at the plate with an RBI double. Things are looking good for him to make a Friday return.

Wacha threw 3 simulated innings on 45 pitches. If all is good today, he will make a rehab start on Sunday.

hoghappy

Thanks McKdaddy. We needed some encouragement.

It's also a good thing that the Brewers seem to be inconsistent as well.

jrulz83

With Molina scheduled to come back and Wacha on the return trail and the Brewers doing what they always do (choke), I think the Cardinals are in prime position to make a little run. You're going to have a fresh Molina, Wainwright may have turned a corner in his last start on his "dead arm" issues, Wacha should be back and well rested. The time is right for some good baseball.

mhuff

The Cards have too many pitchers that are getting the ball up in the strike zone and/or only going about 5 innings. The main thing though is run production. It is really anemic. We needed to trade for at least one more bat.... and we didn't.
They need some infusion of power. Perhaps Molina and some minor league hitting will get things going.... It needs to happen now. We are playing weak opponents and can't get the job done.

jrulz83

Quote from: mhuff on August 30, 2014, 11:49:23 am
The Cards have too many pitchers that are getting the ball up in the strike zone and/or only going about 5 innings. The main thing though is run production. It is really anemic. We needed to trade for at least one more bat.... and we didn't.
They need some infusion of power. Perhaps Molina and some minor league hitting will get things going.... It needs to happen now. We are playing weak opponents and can't get the job done.

The Cubs are a hot team coming in to this series.

You claim the Cardinals needed a bat, how would one bat make a huge difference in a lineup that hasn't done anything well all season?

I guarantee you that Mozeliak looked at all the options on the trade block and found nothing palatable in the market. Would you trade Carlos Martinez for a half season rental on a bat? That would be the minimum price that you'd have to pay.

Yes, Masterson has been a disappointment. He's likely thrown his last pitch as a starter for the Cards, but I have seen success with these types of pickups in the past. I think it was worth the risk of trading Ramsey for him.

jrulz83

jbell96

Great win yesterday. I have decided that I'm not making any assumptions on this team righting the ship or falling apart, because it is impossible to tell. :)

I think having Yadi back is going to help Rosey considerably. Last two save opportunities have been drama free. Would have had a 1-2-3 ninth yesterday had Adams not bobbled that slow roller by Martin.

I was one of Kozma's biggest critics last year, but he has played a vital role in the last two wins. Scored the winning run on Sunday & he made a heads up defensive play to save a run. Not to mention, he got a base hit in front of Wong's 2 run homer in the 7th. I'd definitely prefer him to Ellis on the postseason roster.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jbell96 on September 02, 2014, 09:13:10 am
Great win yesterday. I have decided that I'm not making any assumptions on this team righting the ship or falling apart, because it is impossible to tell. :)

I'm always happy to just make the playoffs. Anything after that is just gravy.

The playoffs are such a gauntlet to run, it is really an amazing accomplishment to actually win the World Series.

popcornhog

I wish I had known this forum/thread were here all year.

This has been an odd up and down year with incredible inconsistencies at the plate and key injuries and line-up shifts to cobble something together.

The bats are looking better at the right time, now. Jay has really come alive and Holiday is on fire. Add an increasingly healthy Yadi into the mix and we should've looking good going into the playoffs.

It won't hurt getting Wacha back, either.

[attachment deleted by admin]
WPS

popcornhog

Ooos, wrong one!

[attachment deleted by admin]
WPS

mhuff

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 30, 2014, 07:18:35 pm
The Cubs are a hot team coming in to this series.

You claim the Cardinals needed a bat, how would one bat make a huge difference in a lineup that hasn't done anything well all season?

I guarantee you that Mozeliak looked at all the options on the trade block and found nothing palatable in the market. Would you trade Carlos Martinez for a half season rental on a bat? That would be the minimum price that you'd have to pay.

Yes, Masterson has been a disappointment. He's likely thrown his last pitch as a starter for the Cards, but I have seen success with these types of pickups in the past. I think it was worth the risk of trading Ramsey for him.

My claim is hitting is better than not hitting. Carlos Beltran made a major impact while he was a Cardinal. Matt Holliway is carrying the team on his back right now. You have to have hitting to win. Have you not been watching the Cardinals this year .....last year....the year before that. Compare our hitting to that of World Series teams. We do not have the bats.

mhuff

Quote from: popcornhog on September 02, 2014, 12:43:51 pm
I wish I had known this forum/thread were here all year.

This has been an odd up and down year with incredible inconsistencies at the plate and key injuries and line-up shifts to cobble something together.

The bats are looking better at the right time, now. Jay has really come alive and Holiday is on fire. Add an increasingly healthy Yadi into the mix and we should've looking good going into the playoffs.

It won't hurt getting Wacha back, either.

jrulz83

Quote from: mhuff on September 02, 2014, 02:39:20 pm
My claim is hitting is better than not hitting. Carlos Beltran made a major impact while he was a Cardinal. Matt Holliway is carrying the team on his back right now. You have to have hitting to win. Have you not been watching the Cardinals this year .....last year....the year before that. Compare our hitting to that of World Series teams. We do not have the bats.

I'd rather pitch than hit, good pitching nearly always beats good hitting. Maybe we need a poll question in the MLB forum...

popcornhog

Quote from: mhuff on September 02, 2014, 02:39:20 pm

I absolutely agree. I was frustrated as hell that we didn't add another bat to the line-up when we were making moves after the break. I still don't understand getting rid of Joe to add Lackey.

That said, I believe that this team is capable if winning the WS. With Wong and Jay hitting well plus Yadi back -- this team has enough bats to support Matt Holiday when they're hitting well. I do miss Craig on that front -- he killed it last year in key situations.

Anyway, if those guys stay hot and we can mix in a little bit of hitting from Bourjos and Oscar and if Yadi's at full strength and Carp continues to lead off strong -- this team can score runs.oh yeah, and what about that big guy at first base? Consistency has been lacking and Beltran is missed but there are some bats on this team.

Good hitting is better than bad hitting yes. But I'll take great pitching over great hitting if those are my only choices.

For us to hold on the the central and make a deep run we need good pitching and solid bats. That's what I think it will take.

Award for most rambling post of the year?!
WPS

pigture perfect

Wacha to start Thursday in place of Masterson. He will be on a 60 pitch count. Good news for us.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 02, 2014, 05:50:49 pm
Wacha to start Thursday in place of Masterson. He will be on a 60 pitch count. Good news for us.

Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

I hate that he has to debut against the Crew but glad he's back before October.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 02, 2014, 05:50:49 pm

I'll take 7 eight pitch innings please. :)

popcornhog

Ax all over the place again.
WPS

jrulz83

Maness taking no prisoners tonight! Looking mean.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 02, 2014, 10:04:53 pm
Maness taking no prisoners tonight! Looking mean.

Yeah good thing, too. Neshek looked solid too.

Need Waino to get to full speed.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on September 02, 2014, 10:30:37 pm
Yeah good thing, too. Neshek looked solid too.

Need Waino to get to full speed.

Yeah, he needs to quickly get it figured out. Tomorrow let's get the:

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 02, 2014, 10:33:51 pm
Yeah, he needs to quickly get it figured out. Tomorrow let's get the:

This was/is a huge series in so many ways. Everybody's focusing on the fact that we overtook the Brew Crew (who thank God couldn't buy a win while the Cards were losing), but the Pirates have been hot. Had the Pirates won these last two games, they could be leaving the series right there in first place.

Exciting September baseball for sure.
WPS

dhornjr1

Quote from: popcornhog on September 02, 2014, 11:40:58 pm
This was/is a huge series in so many ways. Everybody's focusing on the fact that we overtook the Brew Crew (who thank God couldn't buy a win while the Cards were losing), but the Pirates have been hot. Had the Pirates won these last two games, they could be leaving the series right there in first place.

Exciting September baseball for sure.

I love September. Pennant races, college football, fairs, apples, cooler temperatures...

...and my birthday. :)

jbell96

Good win last night. Bottom 3rd of the order deserves a ton of credit for the win. They scored 4 of the 6 runs last night & drove in 4 of 5. (Peralta scored 6th run on WP)

Adams slump has me really concerned. Hopefully once the AAA playoffs are over Scruggs can come up and give Matt some much needed rest.

mhuff

Quote from: jrulz83 on September 02, 2014, 04:48:59 pm
I'd rather pitch than hit, good pitching nearly always beats good hitting. Maybe we need a poll question in the MLB forum...

I want both..... I also like FB games we win by 50 points.  ;D

mhuff

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on September 03, 2014, 04:18:51 am
I love September. Pennant races, college football, fairs, apples, cooler temperatures...

...and my birthday. :)

OK Imminent when's the date. My son was born in Sept.

jrulz83

Quote from: mhuff on September 03, 2014, 11:33:23 am
I want both..... I also like FB games we win by 50 points.  ;D

In a perfect world you have both, but like the commercial used to say; we don't live anywhere near perfect. I personally like 1-0 pitching duels, 13-10 or 8-0 games bore me.

In the playoffs it is almost always about who has better pitching.