Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Quote from: Ray Piggers on July 19, 2014, 06:47:36 pm
Mike Shannon always mentions Arkansas on his broadcasts.. Dan's actually called some hog games in the past.

It really wasn't meant as a shot at Dan.  He's mentioned Ar many times on broadcasts.  Just strange that he would forget us while naming every state around us.

hoghappy

jrulz83

Big win today, getting Greinke early was the only chance and it happened. I'm more than pleased with the job Kelly did on the mound, I hope he keeps it going. I would love to see the Dodgers swept out of STL tomorrow!!!
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

jrulz83

Quote from: The Boar War on July 19, 2014, 07:21:25 pm
It really wasn't meant as a shot at Dan.  He's mentioned Ar many times on broadcasts.  Just strange that he would forget us while naming every state around us.

Pure oversight, no bad intentions....... Unless you want to continue the Media hates us delusion that many Razorback fans subscribe to. If that's the case then there is no doubt that he did it on purpose and just wanted to find another way to slight Arkansas. I intend to launch a full scale investigation on Monday. :)

mhuff

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 19, 2014, 10:03:33 pm
Big win today, getting Greinke early was the only chance and it happened. I'm more than pleased with the job Kelly did on the mound, I hope he keeps it going. I would love to see the Dodgers swept out of STL tomorrow!!!

I am surprised that they pitched him that many innings after just coming off rehab.

mhuff

Quote from: The Boar War on July 19, 2014, 05:59:57 pm
Anybody else hear Dan Mcgoughlin talking about where Cardinals fans come from:  Memphis, all over Mo, North Texas, Illinois, Oklahoma, east Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Iowa........

Can you think of any other state Dan?

I noticed that as well. It was simply an oversight. I kept trying to finish his sentence and he never came around.

mhuff

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 19, 2014, 05:24:05 pm
Just saw where Carp leads us in strike outs. (71) Not Chris, but Matt. That doesn't sound right. he is usually a good contact guy.

Still, he probably leads in on base %. He has a great eye, but he nor Craig can replicate last seasons success.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 19, 2014, 10:08:27 pm
Pure oversight, no bad intentions....... Unless you want to continue the Media hates us delusion that many Razorback fans subscribe to. If that's the case then there is no doubt that he did it on purpose and just wanted to find another way to slight Arkansas. I intend to launch a full scale investigation on Monday. :)

I think a lot of people misinterpret media indifference or irrelevance with media bias. It's not that the national media hates Arkansas, they just don't give a damn about Arkansas.

pigture perfect

I've noticed over the last few years that Cardinal games are harder to pick up here in Arkansas. Less radio stations are carrying games and You can't get Fox Midwest because the tv providers are choking us with Fox Southwest, which basically is the same as Fox Texas. It has been going on so long that I don't see many new Cardinals fans coming up. The Media really doesn't care for what we want.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 20, 2014, 02:45:56 pm
I've noticed over the last few years that Cardinal games are harder to pick up here in Arkansas. Less radio stations are carrying games and You can't get Fox Midwest because the tv providers are choking us with Fox Southwest, which basically is the same as Fox Texas. It has been going on so long that I don't see many new Cardinals fans coming up. The Media really doesn't care for what we want.

FSSW is also our default in OK. I have to subscribe to the FS package ($15/mo) in order to have FSMW and thus receive all Cards games.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pigture perfect

I'm cheap. I don't want to pay the extra $15.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 20, 2014, 01:17:54 pm
I think a lot of people misinterpret media indifference or irrelevance with media bias. It's not that the national media hates Arkansas, they just don't give a damn about Arkansas.

Exactly, like it or not Arkansas is fly over country. I personally like that it is.

Ray Piggers

That's why I always had Cox in NWA. They had a "Cardinals" channel 39
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Cotton

Kershaw vs Martinez tonight on espn. Kershaw is 8-0 0.76 ERA and 80Ks in last 8 starts. That's ridiculous... But hey maybe it's time he has an off night tonight.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

pigture perfect

I'm thinking a trade is really really close.

jbell96

Mattingly is such a whiny baby. Our pitchers like to work inside, and if your superstar primadonnas don't like getting hit, then they need to quit hanging over the plate. Pitchers are just as entitled to the inside corner as hitters are.

Umps made the right call not ejecting Rosenthal for hitting Ramirez in the hand, with an 0-2 pitch with the go ahead run on 2nd, but it might have worked out for the Cards had Sam Freeman come in for the L/L match up against Gonzalez.

I hope we get these guys in the postseason. Nothing better than beating a bunch of whiny superstars.

pigture perfect

Puig was swinging or at least throwing his hands out when he was hit. As for Rosey hitting Ramirez, DM should not complain about the winning run being put on base.

ChicoHog

Quote from: jbell96 on July 21, 2014, 09:03:34 am
Mattingly is such a whiny baby. Our pitchers like to work inside, and if your superstar primadonnas don't like getting hit, then they need to quit hanging over the plate. Pitchers are just as entitled to the inside corner as hitters are.

Umps made the right call not ejecting Rosenthal for hitting Ramirez in the hand, with an 0-2 pitch with the go ahead run on 2nd, but it might have worked out for the Cards had Sam Freeman come in for the L/L match up against Gonzalez.

I hope we get these guys in the postseason. Nothing better than beating a bunch of whiny superstars.
As a dodger fan the ump made the right call not kicking out rosenthal as there was no way that was intentional.  I think DM had to go out there to protect his player but I'm sure he realized that was not an intentional bean ball. 

I don't want to see you in the postseason as you have too many guys throwing in the mid to upper 90s and we have too many guys who strike out.   I'd rather play the Brewers, Braves, Reds, whoever else than the Cards. 

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 21, 2014, 02:38:05 pm
Puig was swinging or at least throwing his hands out when he was hit. As for Rosey hitting Ramirez, DM should not complain about the winning run being put on base.

Winning run was already on base. Third I think. That's what made it so stupid. No way they'd hit the 2nd or 3rd (can't remember) out when they have an 0-2 count.

pigture perfect

McKdaddy

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 24, 2014, 01:27:58 pm
Cardinals strike out 28 times in the last two games. That is impressively bad. I mean, do you have to try to do that?

#Mabryed ?

pigture perfect

It's time for a trade. Better sooner than later. If we could pull off something now, it gives more time for team chemistry, which would help in post season especially.

mhuff

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 24, 2014, 03:27:44 pm
It's time for a trade. Better sooner than later. If we could pull off something now, it gives more time for team chemistry, which would help in post season especially.

+1 Something needs to happen sooner rather than later. Really surprising season. Anemic offensive output.

jrulz83

July 24, 2014, 09:39:54 pm #423 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:56:10 pm by jrulz83
Quote from: pigture perfect on July 24, 2014, 03:27:44 pm
Quote from: mhuff on July 24, 2014, 06:06:20 pm
+1 Something needs to happen sooner rather than later. Really surprising season.
Anemic offensive output.

A couple questions guys;

Multiple Choice:

Offense is down all over Major League Baseball, so what is every GM in Baseball probably looking for at the trade deadline?

A) An innings eating starter
B) Bullpen help
C) Defensive help
D) A big time bat
E) A #1 starter

Essay please answer at least one of the following:

Suppose the Cardinals are looking for a big time bat. What player(s) would you give up in a trade for a big time bat? i.e. Tulowitzki, Stanton, Goldschmidt etc.

Suppose the Cardinals are looking for a starting pitcher. What player(s) would you give up in a trade for a starting pitcher?

pigture perfect

Reyes, Jenkins, Bourjous and Craig to Miami for Stanton. It would give Miami 2 very good rhp prospects (in our top 20) which they need right now and a greater than average defensive cf and a great rbi man in Craig. Those guys could move directly into the starting line-up and we could get an offensive jaugernaut in Stanton.

We have lots of young live arms that are on the cusp of being ready and we don't really have a place for them. Bourjous has been a bust for us and needs to be in the mix in any trade we make, so I'm throwing him in for free. Craig is the guy who when he gets hot can be a benefit to any team.

jbell96

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 24, 2014, 11:41:52 pm
Reyes, Jenkins, Bourjous and Craig to Miami for Stanton. It would give Miami 2 very good rhp prospects (in our top 20) which they need right now and a greater than average defensive cf and a great rbi man in Craig. Those guys could move directly into the starting line-up and we could get an offensive jaugernaut in Stanton.

We have lots of young live arms that are on the cusp of being ready and we don't really have a place for them. Bourjous has been a bust for us and needs to be in the mix in any trade we make, so I'm throwing him in for free. Craig is the guy who when he gets hot can be a benefit to any team.

Miami would laugh in our face with that offer. Craig is due a big salary bump next year & we know how frugal the Marlins are with their payroll. They wouldn't even talk trade with us unless Taveras and/or Martinez are involved in the deal.

I also think Craig has an injury he hasn't told the team about because he's afraid of losing his spot to Taveras.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jbell96 on July 25, 2014, 10:22:28 am
Miami would laugh in our face with that offer. Craig is due a big salary bump next year & we know how frugal the Marlins are with their payroll. They wouldn't even talk trade with us unless Taveras and/or Martinez are involved in the deal.
Yeah, the Marlins would laugh and probably never answer the phone from the Cards again.  Stanton has 80 power and is under team control through 2016.  The Marlins can demand the moon for him right now because of this.  The Marlins supposedly offered Stanton to the Astros for Correa and Springer, but the Astros countered with Cosart and DeSheilds and the Marlins obviously rejected them.

For the Cards to even get into the discussion to get Stanton, it would take at least Taveras and Martinez and probably 2-3 more top 5-10 prospects in the Cards system.  Is 2.5 years of Stanton really worth killing your farm system like would require?

jbell96

We'd probably have to give them Taveras, Martinez, Piscotty, and another prospect and/or draft pick.

That competitive balance pick we got the other day could be used as another trade asset. It was pure luck we got it, think I saw that we had a 3 percent chance to even get one of the last ones, much less the 3rd one. I'm not as irritated by Theo's comments as some are, he knows how good our organization is, and him saying we didn't need it was a compliment in my eyes.

pigture perfect

July 25, 2014, 01:29:04 pm #428 Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:39:45 pm by pigture perfect
You may say that they would laugh, but time has proven that of all of the major league franchises, Miami is the one that will make head scratching trades. They have dismantled great teams twice because of frugality.

Reyes and Jenkins are both highly regarded prospects, they have the highest upside of any of our minor league righties. But getting rid of them would not decimate our farm system.

jbell96

They do make dumb trades, but most of the time it is to dump salary, not take it on. Taking on Craig would be taking on a considerable amount of salary as he's due a major pay bump next year.

Horsesrus

I don't think Craig's contract is too onerous in today's market.  $5.5 million in '15, $9 in '16 $11 in '17 and a team option at $13 for '18 with a $1 million buyout.  Granted for the '14 version of Craig it's way onerous, but the '13 version of Craig would make these amounts a steal.

I'm still a Craig fan and hope they don't trade him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jbell96 on July 25, 2014, 01:05:34 pm
We'd probably have to give them Taveras, Martinez, Piscotty, and another prospect and/or draft pick.
Without a doubt that is the very minimum that the Marlins would require from the Cards for Stanton IMO.  Any trade involving Stanton before 2016 would clean out the top end of an organization's farm system because Stanton would be more than a rental.  About the only organizations who could trade for Stanton and not decimate the top of their farms would be the Cubs, Dodgers, Twins, and Astros and we know none of those teams will trade for him.

Quote from: jbell96 on July 25, 2014, 01:05:34 pm
That competitive balance pick we got the other day could be used as another trade asset. It was pure luck we got it, think I saw that we had a 3 percent chance to even get one of the last ones, much less the 3rd one. I'm not as irritated by Theo's comments as some are, he knows how good our organization is, and him saying we didn't need it was a compliment in my eyes.
Definitely, the lottery pick could maybe take the place of Piscotty at the very best, but definitely the place of a "B" prospect like Jenkins because draft picks have a ton of value placed on them right now.  If I were a Cards fan, I wouldn't be upset by Theo's comments as well.  I would take them exactly how you did.  It was a compliment about how great of an organization St. Louis has and that they are good enough without the lottery pick.

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 25, 2014, 01:29:04 pm
Reyes and Jenkins are both highly regarded prospects, they have the highest upside of any of our minor league righties. But getting rid of them would not decimate our farm system.
Of course trading Jenkins and Reyes wouldn't decimate your farm system.  I was referring to them when making my post.  I was talking what it would realistically take to get Stanton right now and it would decimate your farm system.

Like jbell said, it would take at least Taveras, Martinez, Piscotty, + others to interest the Marlins enough to trade Stanton away.

pigture perfect

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 25, 2014, 08:47:48 pm
  About the only organizations who could trade for Stanton and not decimate the top of their farms would be the Cubs, Dodgers, Twins, and Astros and we know none of those teams will trade for him.

I usually respect your opinions, but  the Cardinals organization is  on par or superior to those you just mentioned. It would not decimate the farm system. Now if Stanton were not out there to be had, the Marlins would simply not let his name linger out there. Then again Stanton might not be the one we want, but it wouldn't be a bad trade the way I suggested, especially the way salaries can be restructured with certain teams giving some cash considertions.

hoghappy

I agree PP. I certainly wouldn't make my first offer my top offer right off the bat.

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 25, 2014, 09:11:37 pm
I usually respect your opinions, but  the Cardinals organization is  on par or superior to those you just mentioned. It would not decimate the farm system. Now if Stanton were not out there to be had, the Marlins would simply not let his name linger out there. Then again Stanton might not be the one we want, but it wouldn't be a bad trade the way I suggested, especially the way salaries can be restructured with certain teams giving some cash considertions.
I'm not saying that those organizations are more well run than the Cards.  I have said many times that the Cards organization is one of the most well run in all of baseball.  It is right up there with the Braves, but neither the Braves or Cards have really deep farm systems loaded with top prospects right now because all of our top prospects have graduated to the majors in the last couple of years.

The farm systems I mentioned all have at least 4-5 top 100 prospects including multiple in the top 50.  I would add the Pirates in that list as well and they aren't looking for OF help right now.  If anything, they have 2 top OF prospects in their farm system that they could use as trade assets with who they have roaming the OF at PNC Park.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hoghappy on July 25, 2014, 09:14:38 pm
I agree PP. I certainly wouldn't make my first offer my top offer right off the bat.
And if you low ball the Marlins enough, a trade is never likely to happen.

See what happened with the Astros last week with Brady Aiken.  Low balled him and made him mad to the point where he wouldn't even counter their offer.  He just flat out said no.

ChicoHog

As a Dodger fan I would be happy to trade Kemp, Ethier and Crawford for Stanton!

Dodgers hit 3 triples in fifth inning tonight and still going.  Good news!  Beat the midgets!

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 24, 2014, 11:41:52 pm

Wow, just wow. This is a better answer than I had hoped to receive. I'll just say that it is somewhat out of touch with reality. Thanks for answering my question!

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: ChicoHog on July 25, 2014, 10:59:16 pm
As a Dodger fan I would be happy to trade Kemp, Ethier and Crawford for Stanton!

Dodgers hit 3 triples in fifth inning tonight and still going.  Good news!  Beat the midgets!

ched come back pls

jrulz83

A.J. Pierzynski.........color me less than thrilled.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: jrulz83 on July 26, 2014, 10:14:55 am
A.J. Pierzynski.........color me less than thrilled.
Thought we'd be smart enough to not sign that cancer to our clubhouse.

But hey, maybe the one thing we need is a complete d!ck.
ched come back pls

Baseball Hog

July 26, 2014, 11:24:11 am #442 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:40:19 am by Baseball Hog
Quote from: pigture perfect on July 25, 2014, 09:11:37 pm

You're living in make believe land if you think this trade has a .1% chance of happening.  One, the Marlins are buying, not selling.  Two, if they were selling there are 4-5 guys they'd move before Stanton.  Three, even if they were to move Stanton he'd cost the whole Cardinal system.  It would have to include Taveras, Martinez, AND a couple lower guys.  This would be a stupid trade on both ends.

As for the trade you proposed, there would be riots in the streets, if Miami actually had fans, for even considering that deal.

clutch

Not that thrilled with the signing of A.J.

Think we can count out the possibility of any trade for Price too since the Rays have now won 8 in a row and are only 4 back of the 2nd wild card spot.

Not a lot out there up for grabs right now. Don't really want to see a deal for Lester. Think I'd prefer to just ride it out. We are still in the mix after all and I'm confident that this team can play better than they have all year. Last year showed what they have in them. It was a bunch of career years for guys, but if they can get anywhere close to that level again we will run away with the division.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Baseball Hog on July 26, 2014, 11:24:11 am
You're living in make believe land if you think this trade has a .1% chance of happening.  One, the Marlins are buying, not selling.  Two, if they were selling there are 4-5 guys they'd move before Stanton.  Three, even if they were to move Stanton he'd cost the whole Cardinal system.  It would have to include Taveras, Martinez, AND a couple lower guys.  This would be a stupid trade on both ends.

As for the trade you proposed, there would be riots in the streets, if Miami actually had fans, for even considering that deal.
The question that was posed was what would you be willing to trade. I said what I'd be willing to trade. I think you are giving youself too much credit as a baseball man if you don't think the Marlins are serious about selling. They are the new Royals of the last 20 years. They know they aren't committed to keeping their folks long term. Do I think they (the Cardinals) will get Stanton? No. Do I think Miami stands much of a chance for re-signing him at the end of his contract? No. They will end up trying to get something for him at some point.

McKdaddy

Little else has worked this season, maybe an a-hole in the locker rooms will help. I'm no fan of AJP, but the boys need a shakeup.

pigture perfect

I'm with you McK. Maybe he (AJP) can spark something. He won't be here long.

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 26, 2014, 12:17:31 pm
The question that was posed was what would you be willing to trade. I said what I'd be willing to trade. I think you are giving youself too much credit as a baseball man if you don't think the Marlins are serious about selling. They are the new Royals of the last 20 years. They know they aren't committed to keeping their folks long term. Do I think they (the Cardinals) will get Stanton? No. Do I think Miami stands much of a chance for re-signing him at the end of his contract? No. They will end up trying to get something for him at some point.
But did you honestly believe anyone would take you seriously in the trade you proposed?

Heck, the Red Sox got the Giants #2 (like #75 overall) and #11 prospect for Jake Peavy who hasn't won a start in over 2 months.

mhuff

Quote from: clutch on July 26, 2014, 11:44:51 am
Not that thrilled with the signing of A.J.

Think we can count out the possibility of any trade for Price too since the Rays have now won 8 in a row and are only 4 back of the 2nd wild card spot.

Not a lot out there up for grabs right now. Don't really want to see a deal for Lester. Think I'd prefer to just ride it out. We are still in the mix after all and I'm confident that this team can play better than they have all year. Last year showed what they have in them. It was a bunch of career years for guys, but if they can get anywhere close to that level again we will run away with the division.

They can not keep their good players for long and we have the players they need. Either get something that will help cheap, high quality players or nothing.
I think they trade...... Now if it doesn't benefit the cards, we don't have to trade the farm for nothing.

hoghappy

Is AJ really that bad? What has he done?