Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 04:41:04 pm

Gay marriage poll

Started by goodguytex, February 26, 2014, 06:24:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support or oppose a national law to legalize gay marriage?

Support national gay marriage
61 (36.1%)
Oppose national gay marriage
66 (39.1%)
Get rid of government recognition of any kind
30 (17.8%)
The 1873 Civil Union Act (See 1873 Hawg's Post)
12 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Voting closed: March 12, 2014, 07:24:14 pm

goodguytex

Thought it might be interesting to see how those who post in the politics forum feel about this issue.

LSUFan

Let 'em be as miserable as the heteros.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

OTTER

Uhh, no.  Gay means happy, and there is no happiness in marriage.  Therefore, there is no such thing as gay marriage.  Never has been, never will be.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

goodguytex

Going about like I thought it would. And wouldn't you know it? Right in the middle of the thread a banner ad pops up for cross Church with a pic of Ronnie floyd. Maybe we can get him to give his opinion.

hogwild210

I don't expect anyone to feel like they have the right to put their noses in my marriage (if that ever happens)...I have no right to put mine in anyone else's.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

PorkerOinker

Need to add a third option.

#3- Get rid of government recognition of marriage of any kind.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkerOinker on February 26, 2014, 10:09:29 pm

Done

Razorfox

Well, I went with oppose because ultimately I disagree with government defining/re-defining something that it didn't create to begin with, a religious institution. 

However, since the public seems to be brainwashed and moving in the wrong direction on this issue, my fallback position is that the government should just get out of tracking/recognizing it altogether. 

LSUFan

Marriage is a contract with the State. A piece of paper that you can wipe you ass with, with one stroke of a pen.

hog.goblin

I am personally against it, thinks it's a life of sin, and I am rather disgusted by it.  THAT being said, I believe they have the right to marry, and more importantly the right to give their partners health and financial directives, and the ability to bequeath assets to each other.

So I voted that I support national gay marriage.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 27, 2014, 12:56:38 pm
I am personally against it, thinks it's a life of sin, and I am rather disgusted by it.  THAT being said, I believe they have the right to marry, and more importantly the right to give their partners health and financial directives, and the ability to bequeath assets to each other.

That's a respectable position.  +1 to you.

DeltaBoy

Just say NO to Gay Marriage.  :puke:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 27, 2014, 12:56:38 pm

Nailed it! Thank you for thinking!
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

BILLYBOB

Quote from: LSUFan on February 27, 2014, 11:58:07 am
Marriage is a contract with the State. A piece of paper that you can wipe you ass with, with one stroke of a pen.

That's part of it. The other part...the more important part...is a an oath I took before God and Country that I will commit my life to another person. I'll support them through everything for the rest if their life.

You don't need a certificate from the state to do that.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

talley

I believe that the u.s. in general would be fine with gays being together if you didn't call it marriage.

Marriage is something that is defined in the bible as between man and woman.  therefore, gays can't be "married". 

If you want to call it a civil union between two people of the same sex, right on, you do that.  It's none of my business, but by trying to make the word something it is not (not between a man and a woman) i believe that is when you have the most problem, at least for me.

I don't support or endorse gay acts, but i also don't support a lot of things like cussing, bragging, alcohol and many  other things.  To say one is worse than the other is wrong.  God gave us free will to do what we want.  If these people want to live like this, I will not support their acts, but who am I to tell others that they can't live a certain way, when my God gave them free will to live the way they would like. I will try to show them the way, but in the end, it is up to them to believe and accept. 

So, to answer your question, I am for civil unions between them.

LSUFan

Quote from: BILLYBOB on February 27, 2014, 01:26:11 pm
That's part of it. The other part...the more important part...is a an oath I took before God and Country that I will commit my life to another person. I'll support them through everything for the rest if their life.

You don't need a certificate from the state to do that.
Amen

cosmodrum

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 01:30:39 pm
I believe that the u.s. in general would be fine with gays being together if you didn't call it marriage.

Marriage is something that is defined in the bible as between man and woman.  therefore, gays can't be "married". 

If you want to call it a civil union between two people of the same sex, right on, you do that.  It's none of my business, but by trying to make the word something it is not (not between a man and a woman) i believe that is when you have the most problem, at least for me.

I don't support or endorse gay acts, but i also don't support a lot of things like cussing, bragging, alcohol and many  other things.  To say one is worse than the other is wrong.  God gave us free will to do what we want.  If these people want to live like this, I will not support their acts, but who am I to tell others that they can't live a certain way, when my God gave them free will to live the way they would like. I will try to show them the way, but in the end, it is up to them to believe and accept. 

So, to answer your question, I am for civil unions between them.

They should be able to call it whatever the hell they want.
Go away, batin'

talley

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 27, 2014, 01:43:52 pm

they can call it what they want, but it doesn't make it actually what it is.

Marriage is between a man and a woman and that is the definition. 

I can call myself a car, but i am not a car.  I can call myself a black woman, but i am not one.  So i guess they can say they are "married" but that doesnt make them married.

This was my point i was trying to make.  The reason people are so against gay marriage is because marriage is something that they believe in very strongly and what their religion says it is.  By you trying to redefine it, you start fights.  You call it a civil union, no more fights.  but of course, that's not good enough for people.  They want to try redifining a word that is not redfininable in peoples minds.

LSUFan

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 01:51:13 pm

I can call myself a car, but i am not a car.  I can call myself a black woman, but i am not one.  So i guess they can say they are "married" but that doesnt make them married.

This was my point i was trying to make.  The reason people are so against gay marriage is because marriage is something that they believe in very strongly and what their religion says it is.  By you trying to redefine it, you start fights.  You call it a civil union, no more fights.  but of course, that's not good enough for people.  They want to try redifining a word that is not redfininable in peoples minds.
Marriage is, til death do we part. So if you get a divorce, you were never married.

Yeah, makes sense.

goodguytex

This has really been a great thread. And very calm. With actual discussion. I guess I should give my view of this since I did start the thread. My position is actually a little different from a lot of people I think. Hopefully more nuanced. My views personally match hog goblin. No surprise there. But I'm opposed to a national gay marriage law. I'm a big believer in states rights. Even though I do feel the way I do about the issue personally, I'm a big believer in the citizens of each state having the right to decide issues like this one for themselves.

If the citizens of New York gay marriage, I think the people of the state should get that if they vote for it. If the people of the state of Texas don't want it, they should have the right to not have to do it. That's I think how the founders of this country wanted issues like this to be decided.

Veritas Arkansas

The problem is that "marriage" is not an exlcusively religious word.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

PorkRinds

The problem is, you don't get to define what marriage is and is not based on your own personal views. 

talley

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2014, 03:06:29 pm
The problem is, you don't get to define what marriage is and is not based on your own personal views.

Once again, if they want to have a civil union go ahead. Have it!  Be together!  Have all the rights as of tax cuts and all that comes with the Marriage, but don't use the word.  Why is that so bad?

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 03:23:23 pm
Once again, if they want to have a civil union go ahead. Have it!  Be together!  Have all the rights as of tax cuts and all that comes with the Marriage, but don't use the word.  Why is that so bad?

Why is it so bad that they use the word?

talley

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 27, 2014, 03:24:22 pm
Why is it so bad that they use the word?

Because the definition of marriage in the bible is between a man and a woman.  that is what my religion tells me.  In all honesty, marriage isn't for the government, but more an oath I take in front of God to be there forever for my wife through thick and thin.  that is why when you use the word as if it is okay for those that are gay to come together and be togehter it is not.  Not with my religion.  I just don't understand why they care to use the word.  They know why it bothers me, why does it bother them to not use the word, but have all the rights?

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 03:28:39 pm
Because the definition of marriage in the bible is between a man and a woman.  that is what my religion tells me.  In all honesty, marriage isn't for the government, but more an oath I take in front of God to be there forever for my wife through thick and thin.  that is why when you use the word as if it is okay for those that are gay to come together and be togehter it is not.  Not with my religion.  I just don't understand why they care to use the word.  They know why it bothers me, why does it bother them to not use the word, but have all the rights?

Ok, but you're ignoring that marriage isn't exclusively a biblical concept.

And our government doesn't define things based on what the bible says.

talley

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 27, 2014, 03:32:33 pm
Ok, but you're ignoring that marriage isn't exclusively a biblical concept.

And our government doesn't define things based on what the bible says.

the word was made from the bible, so technically it is exclusively a bibical concept. Just because now you want to make it something it is not, doesn't change the fact the originial definition came from God.

cosmodrum

I'm gonna be really pissed the next time some dork on the food network says a "marriage of flavors."
Go away, batin'

hogwild210

Quote from: goodguytex on February 27, 2014, 02:43:50 pm
This has really been a great thread. And very calm. With actual discussion. I guess I should give my view of this since I did start the thread. My position is actually a little different from a lot of people I think. Hopefully more nuanced. My views personally match hog goblin. No surprise there. But I'm opposed to a national gay marriage law. I'm a big believer in states rights. Even though I do feel the way I do about the issue personally, I'm a big believer in the citizens of each state having the right to decide issues like this one for themselves.

If the citizens of New York gay marriage, I think the people of the state should get that if they vote for it. If the people of the state of Texas don't want it, they should have the right to not have to do it. That's I think how the founders of this country wanted issues like this to be decided.

Should the gay community get to vote on what straight people can do?

PorkSoda

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 03:35:05 pm
the word was made from the bible, so technically it is exclusively a bibical concept. Just because now you want to make it something it is not, doesn't change the fact the originial definition came from God.
that is 100% BS.  marriage predates history which includes the jewish historical records in the bible.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 03:28:39 pm

"The word 'marriage' originated from the Anglo French word 'marier,' meaning to marry. It was first used in the 14th century. It is used when persons of the opposite sex are joined together to begin a family."

hmmm looks like you are FOS
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 27, 2014, 01:43:52 pm

You have lately been a little moody.  Are you not taking your meds anymore?
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

talley

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 27, 2014, 03:55:46 pm
that is 100% BS.  marriage predates history which includes the jewish historical records in the bible.

well since adam and eve (the first people on earth) were married then i was assume that is not true...

also, the definition you gave is what the bible says marriage is. So, once again does it really matter when the word came in to existence , the meaning is still the same.

PorkSoda

Quote from: talley on February 27, 2014, 04:07:19 pm
well since adam and eve (the first people on earth) were married then i was assume that is not true...

also, the definition you gave is what the bible says marriage is. So, once again does it really matter when the word came in to existence , the meaning is still the same.
you claimed that the word came from the bible, it doesn't, you claimed that the idea of marriage originated from the bible, it doesn't.

the concept of marriage has numerous definitions from every culture on earth and predates the written word, which includes the bible.

christians have zero authority in defining the concept of marriage.  in current society it is defined by secular legislation.  that legislation can be changed as societies values change.

you can believe its ordained by god all you want, but until he actually registers to vote...he's got no say in the matter.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 27, 2014, 04:11:03 pm
you claimed that the word came from the bible, it doesn't, you claimed that the idea of marriage originated from the bible, it doesn't.

Prove it didnt?
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

PorkSoda

Quote from: DewUar88 on February 27, 2014, 04:16:48 pm
Prove it didnt?
never mind that the word didn't exist until the 14th century

never mind that just about every culture on earth has some form of marriage that is governed by their own cultural laws. 

self deception is not becoming of a grown man.

PorkerOinker

IMO Gay Marriage is a life of sin. But for those of us that believe in God and follow the Bible it tells us that Sin is Sin, no one sin is worse than any other, and if you are one of God's children (Born Again Believer) than God's doesn't even care about the Sin's you have committed, are committing, or will ever commit. He has given you a clean slate (your born again spirit), and that is where God's sees you and deals with you is in your spirit. Now if you are born again you can still live in Sin, but God does not impute those Sin's against you. What you are doing is giving the Devil access to your physical and mental life when you live this life of Sin. It does not matter whether this life of Sin is homosexuality, alcoholism, gluttony etc.

Which is why I believe the government should not acknowledge marriage of any kind because I believe it to be a Biblical principle and as long as government acknowledges marriage in general, I think Gay couples should be afforded all the benefits as heterosexual couples. Whether it be tax breaks, health insurance coverage for one another, or anything else.

My overall point is Sin is Sin no matte what the Sin is, but this doesn't sit well with most Denomination's now days, because it makes the Christian take responsibility for themselves. But I would pose this question to those that think it is worse sin than any other, the Bible tells us we have all Sinned and come short of the glory of God, So who wants to be the best Sinner that ever went to Hell?

The Gospel of Jesus Christ tells us that God has already provided us with any and everything we will ever need in our lives, whether it be health, finances, forgiveness, etc. but he has provided it for us in our born again spirit and it is up to us to see it manifest into our physical life here on earth.

Now I know I have drifted off topic some in this post, but it is because this post is directed at the people that argue against Gay marriage more than the people arguing for it.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

hogwild210

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 27, 2014, 01:06:31 pm
Just say NO to Gay Marriage.  :puke:

You know that you won't actually have to marry a man, right?

DOGALUM

Quote from: hogwild210 on February 27, 2014, 04:42:33 pm
You know that you won't actually have to marry a man, right?
Wait....what?
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

hogwild210

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 27, 2014, 04:46:46 pm
Wait....what?

The only reason I can think of for someone to be against something like this is that they think it will somehow affect THEIR marriage. Because surely you don't care what other people do if it doesn't affect you...right?

goodguytex

Quote from: hogwild210 on February 27, 2014, 03:51:43 pm
Should the gay community get to vote on what straight people can do?
They already do... They're called elections. If they want to vote to eliminate right of straight people to get married... Get it on a ballot and vote for it. Well see who gets more votes. I'll even sign a petition to get it on the ballot.

hogwild210

Quote from: goodguytex on February 27, 2014, 04:56:07 pm
They already do... They're called elections. If they want to vote to eliminate right of straight people to get married... Get it on a ballot and vote for it. Well see who gets more votes. I'll even sign a petition to get it on the ballot.

That's not what I meant, but I think you knew that.

goodguytex

1873Hawg

Quote from: PorkerOinker on February 26, 2014, 10:09:29 pm

Need a fourth option:

#4 - The state only recognizes civil unions which are available to any two consenting adults and can only be obtained via a state process which is completely independent of churches.. All currently valid marriages are grandfathered in as civil unions. All state/federal benefits currently provided for married couples will be restricted to couples with a valid civil union. People and churches are free to perform "marriages" as they choose, but a marriage does not grant civil union status; the couple must still go through the process of a state sanctioned civil union before the state or fed recognizes their relationship. Neither the state or the fed recognizes a marriage in any legal manner.
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

DOGALUM

Quote from: hogwild210 on February 27, 2014, 04:48:34 pm
The only reason I can think of for someone to be against something like this is that they think it will somehow affect THEIR marriage. Because surely you don't care what other people do if it doesn't affect you...right?
I thought it meant that I had to marry a man.

No....but I do care what other people do even if it doesn't affect me.  Sometimes.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

OTTER

On a personal level, I am against it and believe it is wrong.  That said, I believe that when it is all said and done, SCOTUS will rule in favor of gay marriage and I will accept that.  I will not agree, I still won't like it and I will still believe it is wrong.  But, it will not affect me from the standpoint that my life will not change.  It will just be another sad day in America.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

goodguytex

Quote from: 1873Hawg on February 27, 2014, 06:44:16 pm
Need a fourth option:

#4 - The state only recognizes civil unions which are available to any two consenting adults and can only be obtained via a state process which is completely independent of churches.. All currently valid marriages are grandfathered in as civil unions. All state/federal benefits currently provided for married couples will be restricted to couples with a valid civil union. People and churches are free to perform "marriages" as they choose, but a marriage does not grant civil union status; the couple must still go through the process of a state sanctioned civil union before the state or fed recognizes their relationship. Neither the state or the fed recognizes a marriage in any legal manner.
Too long. Give me a shortened version and I'll see if I can add it in.

1873Hawg

Quote from: goodguytex on February 27, 2014, 08:07:11 pm
Too long. Give me a shortened version and I'll see if I can add it in.

How about

#4. Civil Unions for state recognition/benefits for everybody =/= Marriages recognized only by churches for whomever wants them and the church is willing

or in short title

#4. The 1873 Civil Union Act (see 1873Hawg's post)
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

goodguytex

Quote from: 1873Hawg on February 27, 2014, 08:27:45 pm
How about

#4. Civil Unions for state recognition/benefits for everybody =/= Marriages recognized only by churches for whomever wants them and the church is willing

or in short title

#4. The 1873 Civil Union Act (see 1873Hawg's post)
Done deal Buddy!