Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No coincidence that surge in Ark D-1 talent coincides with....

Started by Hogmodo, February 24, 2014, 04:35:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogmodo

....a surge of talent at Pine Bluff, North Little Rock, and Little Rock.  Those three areas have produced great talent in the past but not so much for far too long.  North Little Rock is surging with Tenpenny, Day, Hill, etc., now Pine Bluff is producing more with Gragg and a bunch of really good under classmen, and many believe that Scooter Register at Central will be cranking out D-1 players very soon.  This trend can be very helpful for the Hogs if we can hold onto most of them.
Time to git er done Hogs!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogmodo on February 24, 2014, 04:35:06 pm
....a surge of talent at Pine Bluff, North Little Rock, and Little Rock.  Those three areas have produced great talent in the past but not so much for far too long.  North Little Rock is surging with Tenpenny, Day, Hill, etc., now Pine Bluff is producing more with Gragg and a bunch of really good under classmen, and many believe that Scooter Register at Central will be cranking out D-1 players very soon.  This trend can be very helpful for the Hogs if we can hold onto most of them.
While I'll certainly give you that NLR has stepped it up of lately I'm really not convinced the general praise of the LR talent is totally on the mark. Yes, from time-to-time we've seen a player or two come out of Catholic and LR Christian. Of course the real Pulaski Co. "workhorse" from that stand point is Pulaski Academy. Unfortunately that still leaves LR Central, Hall (totally dropped off the map as a legitimate program), Parkview, Robinson, McLellan (sp), Central Arkansas Christian and several others that have done relatively little in the past 10+ years to help the cause. IMO that's one of the major problems/issues this state has faced as far as D1 talent and #s.

Along with the lack of any real consistency out of Pine Bluff these lower #s have really put this state at a huge disadvantage. Fortunately many of the schools/programs in the NWA (with the exception of Fort Smith most years) and other districts such as Warren, Charleston, Junction City and others have taken up some of the slack.

I truly hope you're correct as it applies to the beginning of an upturn in central Arkansas, particularly LR, talent. I hope too this current upswing in the area isn't just a one or two year cycle that reverts back after the next several years. When your largest single population center doesn't produce the #s it's going to continue weighing on the whole state's output. Just the unfortunate way it is.

regi

Watch some of those 70s, 80s Razorback games, half the starters from Central Arkansas. Need more of that now

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: regi on February 24, 2014, 05:04:27 pm
Watch some of those 70s, 80s Razorback games, half the starters from Central Arkansas. Need more of that now
Absolutely no doubt a ton of kids were from the central part of the state. We have to be able to rebuild that if we're going to get the numbers and quality of players instate up.

rolyat_2008

remember that

Hill moved to NLR from Bryant
Gragg to Pine Bluff from Monticello

onebadrubi

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2014, 04:50:25 pm
While I'll certainly give you that NLR has stepped it up of lately I'm really not convinced the general praise of the LR talent is totally on the mark. Yes, from time-to-time we've seen a player or two come out of Catholic and LR Christian. Of course the real Pulaski Co. "workhorse" from that stand point is Pulaski Academy. Unfortunately that still leaves LR Central, Hall (totally dropped off the map as a legitimate program), Parkview, Robinson, McLellan (sp), Central Arkansas Christian and several others that have done relatively little in the past 10+ years to help the cause. IMO that's one of the major problems/issues this state has faced as far as D1 talent and #s.

Along with the lack of any real consistency out of Pine Bluff these lower #s have really put this state at a huge disadvantage. Fortunately many of the schools/programs in the NWA (with the exception of Fort Smith most years) and other districts such as Warren, Charleston, Junction City and others have taken up some of the slack.

I truly hope you're correct as it applies to the beginning of an upturn in central Arkansas, particularly LR, talent. I hope too this current upswing in the area isn't just a one or two year cycle that reverts back after the next several years. When your largest single population center doesn't produce the #s it's going to continue weighing on the whole state's output. Just the unfortunate way it is.

I agree with you about little rock to an extent.  I believe we will see LR schools start to try and play catch up with NLR to compete.  And hopefully this will result in a better 7A conference and better product on the field for Arkansas High school football, which in turn should help the U of A a little bit. 

FATHAWG08

well NWA players haven't really panned out on the college level, mostly having been overrated. This  is my opinion on the NWA kids they have the best coaching, facilities to reach their maximum potential with not much more growth after High School. You take a look at the kids in Central & South Arkansas & you have some really great athletes that are raw and their football potential is much greater( Liddell, Marshall ) come to mind. There are several of  these type of players in this area that we got to start looking harder at. Coach Lunney has done a great job the last 2 years. As for the case of Pine Bluff & NLR the Bolding's are starting to develop talent that can be  a hot bed for the Hogs. I know for a fact Bobby Bolding in PB is putting his style of football on kids starting in the 6th grade. You get The kids at Central in Register program for a 4/5 years by the time they're seniors you will no doubt have some players the Hogs will be looking at. We get these program's back on track & it will be a big plus for us
I love off season Football!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pathogen

Quote from: Hogmodo on February 24, 2014, 04:35:06 pm
....a surge of talent at Pine Bluff, North Little Rock, and Little Rock. 

So...you are saying that a surge in Arkansas talent coincides with a surge in Arkansas talent? 

redeye

I think what we're seeing is a lot of talent from those troubled LR schools transferring to other schools in the area.  IIRC, Tenpenny lived in LR, but like McFadden, he found a way to go to school outside the LRSD.  And then you have players like Dyer, who I'm sure was recruited to CAC, but would have played for a LR public school a couple of decades ago.  Hill played with Cameron Davis at Bryant, but I guess he transferred to NLR because of all the attention it's receiving.  My point is that a lot of the talent is still LRSD talent, but while I'm sure much of that LRSD talent is getting left behind, some of it is finding a way out.

Then you have a lot that have moved elsewhere in the state, including NWA.  That may mostly be cases of white flight, but you didn't find many black players at Bryant or Conway 25-30 years ago.

I also agree that NWA has picked up some of the slack, but then NWA also seems to produce more overrated players.

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 24, 2014, 06:55:13 pm
well NWA players haven't really panned out on the college level, mostly having been overrated. This  is my opinion on the NWA kids they have the best coaching, facilities to reach their maximum potential with not much more growth after High School. You take a look at the kids in Central & South Arkansas & you have some really great athletes that are raw and their football potential is much greater( Liddell, Marshall ) come to mind. There are several of  these type of players in this area that we got to start looking harder at. Coach Lunney has done a great job the last 2 years. As for the case of Pine Bluff & NLR the Bolding's are starting to develop talent that can be  a hot bed for the Hogs. I know for a fact Bobby Bolding in PB is putting his style of football on kids starting in the 6th grade. You get The kids at Central in Register program for a 4/5 years by the time they're seniors you will no doubt have some players the Hogs will be looking at. We get these program's back on track & it will be a big plus for us
marshall is from Osceola NEA...there has always been talent there but that area doesnt receive much exposure. When I graduated in '01 we had at least 7-9 guys capable of running a 4.5 forty.

FBREW000

QuoteI think what we're seeing is a lot of talent from those troubled LR schools transferring to other schools in the area.  IIRC, Tenpenny lived in LR, but like McFadden, he found a way to go to school outside the LRSD.  And then you have players like Dyer, who I'm sure was recruited to CAC, but would have played for a LR public school a couple of decades ago.  Hill played with Cameron Davis at Bryant, but I guess he transferred to NLR because of all the attention it's receiving.  My point is that a lot of the talent is still LRSD talent, but while I'm sure much of that LRSD talent is getting left behind, some of it is finding a way out.

Then you have a lot that have moved elsewhere in the state, including NWA.  That may mostly be cases of white flight, but you didn't find many black players at Bryant or Conway 25-30 years ago.

I also agree that NWA has picked up some of the slack, but then NWA also seems to produce more overrated players.

Woah Pardner... Dyer at CAC?   NEVER!!!!

redeye

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on February 24, 2014, 08:15:54 pm
marshall is from Osceola NEA...there has always been talent there but that area doesnt receive much exposure. When I graduated in '01 we had at least 7-9 guys capable of running a 4.5 forty.

I'd say that Osceola is well recognized for putting out good players and I also think Fathawg could have thrown NEA in with Central and South Arkansas, just the same.

redeye

Quote from: FBREW000 on February 24, 2014, 08:33:06 pm
Woah Pardner... Dyer at CAC?   NEVER!!!!

Excuse me.  I get LRC, CAC and a couple of others mixed up.  Even though I live down the street from LRC, they're all the same to me.

onebadrubi

Quote from: redeye on February 24, 2014, 08:44:00 pm
Excuse me.  I get LRC, CAC and a couple of others mixed up.  Even though I live down the street from LRC, they're all the same to me.

McFadden went to Oak grove and lived in that district as well. 

redeye

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 24, 2014, 08:54:04 pm

I'm almost certain he lived near Roosevelt for a while, but I'm not all clear exactly when, where or for how long.  I just remember reading lot's of stuff about the neighborhood he grew up in while he was playing for Arkansas.

Here's an article I just found mentioning him living off South Schiller Street in LR, but I don't know how long that lasted.  Sounds like he did live in NLR for most of his life.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/home-life-hell-darren-mcfadden-racing-put-behind-article-1.291204

FATHAWG08

Quote from: redeye on February 24, 2014, 08:41:26 pm
I'd say that Osceola is well recognized for putting out good players and I also think Fathawg could have thrown NEA in with Central and South Arkansas, just the same.
my bad Redeye, you are right NEA has had some very good ballers that have been over looked by the Hogs in the past. Again  if CBB takes a chance on a lot of the kids via the walk on program he's  upgrading or having & eye for untapped good raw athletes we have a chance to build a wall around this state. If CBB builds relationships with the HS coaches in this state they could be his eyes as far as taking chances on the right kids & the wall starts going up. You want a wall around this state you got to get the HS coaches behind you.
I love off season Football!!

redeye

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 24, 2014, 09:54:04 pm
my bad Redeye, you are right NEA has had some very good ballers that have been over looked by the Hogs in the past. Again  if CBB takes a chance on a lot of the kids via the walk on program he's  upgrading or having & eye for untapped good raw athletes we have a chance to build a wall around this state. If CBB builds relationships with the HS coaches in this state they could be his eyes as far as taking chances on the right kids & the wall starts going up. You want a wall around this state you got to get the HS coaches behind you.

I wasn't really saying you were wrong, but just adding to the conversation.

As for the rest, it seems like CBB is paying a lot of attention to PB and other areas of the state that have been overlooked in recent years, so I really like seeing that.  I have no ties to those areas, but I  know they have a lot of talent.

KlubhouseKonnected

Offensively almost all of our best players have come from the central and southern parts of the state.

At least in recent memory. And I mean this to the exclusion of players from outside the state as well.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

NLRHog92

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on February 24, 2014, 06:57:33 pm
Many of the NLR kids don't live in NLR.

That won't be the case for much longer when the new school is finished. Half of my house is in Sherwood and half in NLR, but technically it's Sherwood so I would have to of gone to Sylvan Hills if it weren't for the minority to majority rule. But that will change in a year if I'm not mistaken.

three hog night

LRSD is not putting out academic and athletic graduates from most of the 6 High Schools like 20 years go, but CAC and Pulaski Acad are filling SOME of the void.   You need more public schools than NLR to be productive. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on February 25, 2014, 08:00:20 am
LRSD is not putting out academic and athletic graduates from most of the 6 High Schools like 20 years go, but CAC and Pulaski Acad are filling SOME of the void.   You need more public schools than NLR to be productive.
I don't know why y'all keep saying CAC. They have only produced Joe Adams recently and that was 6 years ago.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Peter Porker

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 25, 2014, 10:21:03 am
I don't know why y'all keep saying CAC. They have only produced Joe Adams recently and that was 6 years ago.

DJ Williams.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bullmarkethog

The Boar War

So the point is that it's no coincidence that the surge in Ark D-1 talent coincides with the surge of talent in several towns in Arkansas.  :)

The Iron Hog

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on February 24, 2014, 08:15:54 pm

Osceola as far as raw talent goes might be the best in the state of Arkansas. Many athletes that comes out of Osceola run 4.5s and have 35 inch verticals. The problem is that the majority of those kids do not have any interest in pursuing college. I lived in Osceola for many years and seen first hand the amount of talent, and lack of overall willingness to obtain a decent education.

supersaint

The talent in this state will only improve if the talent gets better.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: supersaint on February 25, 2014, 01:24:09 pm
The talent in this state will only improve if the talent gets better.
Now THAT'S a quote I can use! May I, Yogi?

donkey

CAC produced Joe Adams and DJ Williams.  That's pretty good.

The correlation to be drawn here is the drop in Central and Hall performance and player production to the influx of private school influence in LR.  Players have gone pretty well wherever they wanted in LR for a long time, but they largely went to one magnet or another (Hall, Parkview, Central, etc).  Now, any kid that goes to Hall, Parkview, or Central can just as easily go to Catholic, PA, Arkansas Baptist, Lutheran, or Episcopal given the funds exist or are waived. 

Hall and Parkview appear to be focusing on being basketball schools.  The 'public' schools that have had any success in the last 10 years are Central and NLR.  NLR is the first school that appears to have figured out the fact that money has to be put into facilities in order for players to go to school there.  It is odd to think of it this way, but there's a definite facilities arms race in these situations.   

Mr. Hughes

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 24, 2014, 08:54:04 pm

I can remember reading something back then that talked about McFadden transferring to Central, but not getting to play running back in practice. Somebody like Mickey Dean perhaps, already had the starting position at the time. So, after only a few practices he decided to go back to Oak Grove.

Didn't actually enroll in Central, just started to go to pre-season practice before going back to Oak Grove.

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

HawgFan70

I told a friend the other day I would like to watch a combine featuring every male student in the LRSD. I often wonder how many D1 athletes roam the halls there and never play sports. I'm anxious to see what Scooter Register can do at Central, hopefully interest will rise and Little Rock can start producing 4-6 SEC level kids a year
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: The Iron Hog on February 25, 2014, 12:42:11 pm
Osceola as far as raw talent goes might be the best in the state of Arkansas. Many athletes that comes out of Osceola run 4.5s and have 35 inch verticals. The problem is that the majority of those kids do not have any interest in pursuing college. I lived in Osceola for many years and seen first hand the amount of talent, and lack of overall willingness to obtain a decent education.
true...osceola school district is a joke. It's so much talent there that it's ridiculus. Remember Tony Dancy, the numbers he put up was twice as good as Korliss Marshall. Coach Gore did a better job of getting exposure on the program but most kids dont have the money for all the camps and such. And the street live claims most of the kids early ob in their life there.

hardtimes79

The key will always be getting the kids in little rock off the streets and on the field.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

Hook 'em Hogs

It is really that NWA is producing overrated talent?  I see it differently.  The better teams (for the last several years) are in NWA, but very little D1 talent comes out of NWA which is certainly contradictory to logic.  I know that most of the Springdale 5 didn't work out the way they were supposed to, but it's hard to use that as a basis for overrated talent from NWA.  For whatever reason, NWA, though winning lots of games and championships, doesn't produce much D1 talent. 

Hogmodo

For whatever reason, NWA, though winning lots of games and championships, doesn't produce much D1 talent. 
[/quote]

Neither does Cabot, LR Catholic, Booneville, etc.  Basically, these teams win with lots of pretty good, mostly white, players playing mistake free football.  None are stocked with the elite talents which are mostly black players that D-1 programs and the pros are looking for.  That is why it is so important to the Hogs that the areas with lots of black athletes in the state are starting to get those players eligible and playing again after a very long dry spell.  JMVHO
Time to git er done Hogs!